HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Schultz talk pt. 2

Old
06-16-2012, 07:38 PM
DPyro

vCash: 500
Schultz can talk to teams a day before the draft.

DPyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:40 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Could the Ducks sign him before then?
The Ducks can sign him now but Schultz gets a higher salary if he signs after July 1st.

cyris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
The Ducks can sign him now but Schultz gets a higher salary if he signs after July 1st.
Excuse the ignorance (I guess I should have paid attention) but why more after the 1st?

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Lint07

Not very familiar with Schultz, anybody care to give me a quick rundown on what his NHL upside could be in term of points?

Thanks!

Last edited by Lint07: 06-16-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: typo
Lint07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 07:51 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyris View Post
That is not correct, he is only allowed the ELC max from his draft year and only has to sign a two year contract.

What I heard on the radio station Friday was that he wants to sign with a Canadian team and it is one of Vancouver, EDM, and TO.

Come on EDM, he would look great here and look at the young kids he can play with. EDM drafts Yaks and signs Schultz, what a good start to the off season. Trade Belanger away and sign Konopka as our 4th line centreman. Konopka is great on the faceoff and tough and that is just what we need.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lint07 View Post
Not very familiar with Schultz, anybody care to give me a quick rundown on what his NHL upside could be in term of points?

Thanks!
-90-

Socratic Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:01 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
That is not correct, he is only allowed the ELC max from his draft year and only has to sign a two year contract.

What I heard on the radio station Friday was that he wants to sign with a Canadian team and it is one of Vancouver, EDM, and TO.

Come on EDM, he would look great here and look at the young kids he can play with. EDM drafts Yaks and signs Schultz, what a good start to the off season. Trade Belanger away and sign Konopka as our 4th line centreman. Konopka is great on the faceoff and tough and that is just what we need.
So if the Ducks can sign him now, and the money won't change, wouldn't that mean that if someone traded for his rights, say the Oil, they could sign him now?..Provided of course he did want to sign with the Oil..

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:06 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:

He does have to sign a 2 year ELC but the salary is a little higher. The salary difference and a link were in the op of the original Schultz thread.

Old
06-16-2012, 08:07 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
So if the Ducks can sign him now, and the money won't change, wouldn't that mean that if someone traded for his rights, say the Oil, they could sign him now?..Provided of course he did want to sign with the Oil..
The salary does change, I will look for the link.

Old
06-16-2012, 08:12 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:

If he signs now he is limited to the max ELC from his draft year. If he signs after July 1st he can get the max ELC from this year(higher cap = higher max ELC). I think it works out to around 100K over the 2 years of the deal.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:15 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Found the link.
http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2012...ck-for-schultz

$875,000 + $87,500 signing bonus if he signs now.
$925,00 + $92,500 signing bonus if he signs after July 1st.

Old
06-16-2012, 08:57 PM
debonair399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Swag View Post
Yes and when there's low demand (and don't bring up the chart of teams in need of starting goalies, it doesn't apply to Luongo who has a NTC and an expensive contract) you can expect the price to be low.

The only other option Canucks can explore is trading Schneider, which IMO is a better move if they want to win the cup next year,
Disagree.

Even though the Canucks would get a lot more in return for Cory, they're worse off overall having to downgrade to Luongo.

debonair399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 08:59 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by debonair399 View Post
Disagree.

Even though the Canucks would get a lot more in return for Cory, they're worse off overall having to downgrade to Luongo.
Depends on what the return difference is.

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:15 PM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by debonair399 View Post
Disagree.

Hahaha, this is great! Now Luongo, who is a multi-time all star, won an Olympic gold medal and got the Nucks to the Cup finals, is a downgrade from a 26 year old goalie that has played like 60 games in the NHL? Simply brilliant.

BeersHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:34 PM
wholesickcrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPyro View Post
Schultz can talk to teams a day before the draft.
I thought it was the day after the draft?

Edit: Bob McKenzie reported that he withdrew on May 25, so I guess two days after the draft?

wholesickcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-16-2012, 09:36 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeersHockey View Post
Hahaha, this is great! Now Luongo, who is a multi-time all star, won an Olympic gold medal and got the Nucks to the Cup finals, is a downgrade from a 26 year old goalie that has played like 60 games in the NHL? Simply brilliant.
Yeah Luongo has become so underrated in the last 6 months. It's amazing really.

The funny thing is, the Nucks SHOULD have started Schneider in game 4 last year against Boston, but didn't and ended up losing it all.

Then this year there was no reason to start Schneider at all, Luongo was damn good for the Nucks in his 2 games. The team wasn't playing well.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:18 AM
alpine4life

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=398941#YourCallTop

Quote:
Where will Justin Schultz land?

McKenzie: The Anaheim Ducks know the jig is up there. They know that Schultz, who they selected in the second round of the 2008 Draft, will become a free agent this Sunday. Once Ryan Suter and Zach Parise are gone as free agents, Schultz, the blue chip prospect from the University of Wisconsin, who should be a top-four defenceman for a long time in the NHL, is going to be one of the most sought after free agents. There's a strong belief that he wants to play on a Canadian team, and one that will give him the opportunity to be a major contributor right off the hop. The Edmonton Oilers fit that bill perfectly and there's a lot of speculation that Schultz might be receptive to that, but nobody knows for sure until Schultz starts talking.
discuss...

(BUT PLZ LAND IN OTT)

alpine4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Sergei Berezin

This Sunday?

Doesn't he mean next? Or can Schultz actually sign with a team on the 24th?

Sergei Berezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:47 AM
MisterT

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Yeah Luongo has become so underrated in the last 6 months. It's amazing really.

The funny thing is, the Nucks SHOULD have started Schneider in game 4 last year against Boston, but didn't and ended up losing it all.

Then this year there was no reason to start Schneider at all, Luongo was damn good for the Nucks in his 2 games. The team wasn't playing well.
Sorry but with that contract, Luongo's value is not under-rated. The facts are simple:

1. he lost the #1 job because he wasn't better than Schneider

2. his stats declined although he plays behind a very good team defense system

3. his contract is ridiculous and has 10 years remaining on it and for a 33 y.o. goalie, that's about 5 years too long but go ahead and have a back up in 5 years making that sort of money as see how it will cripple your roster

4. Luongo has the fianl say with regards to any trade so that further limits the market

5. the market for teams needing a goalie is drying up quickly

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Section32

A fried of mine that lives real close to him said that he was apparently spotted jogging this morning with what looked like another "hockey player" and he was wearing a NY Rangers shirt...not saying this means too much, but...

Section32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Section32

Just joking as you can tell by my wonderful spelling.

But this was in fact the news we were getting in New York the morning the arbitrator was ruling on whether Lindros was heading to Ny or Philly.

I heard he was wearing the Rangers shirt and it was like Christmas morning...

Really tired of waiting on this. Certainly not on the level of E.L. but still, he will be a nice addition to any team.

Section32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
Sorry but with that contract, Luongo's value is not under-rated. The facts are simple:

3. his contract is ridiculous and has 10 years remaining on it and for a 33 y.o. goalie, that's about 5 years too long but go ahead and have a back up in 5 years making that sort of money as see how it will cripple your roster

4. Luongo has the fianl say with regards to any trade so that further limits the market

1. I agree

2. Really the same point as number 1

3. I disagree with the term. Recent trend would suggest a team can expect quality for up to 7 years of this 10yr deal. After which he can retire by forcing him to be backup or burying him in the minors. If he retires the cap hit is gone.

4. Once he waives his NTC it is waived. Players do not retain these clauses after moving. That is what pissed J. Carter off the most when he got moved before his clause kicked in.

5. I agree

I think Luongo's market value is only slightly less than what it would be on a 5 year deal and that will be compensated by having to take back salary and conditional picks.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:55 AM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post

That is a joke, right? The Canucks defensive system is akin to playing with 4 forwards and a stationary bike at the right point. I am not a VAN fan, but their goalies get a lot of work, and face quite a bit of quality scoring chances.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:59 AM
BeersHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
1. I agree

2. Really the same point as number 1

3. I disagree with the term. Recent trend would suggest a team can expect quality for up to 7 years of this 10yr deal. After which he can retire by forcing him to be backup or burying him in the minors. If he retires the cap hit is gone.

4. Once he waives his NTC it is waived. Players do not retain these clauses after moving. That is what pissed J. Carter off the most when he got moved before his clause kicked in.

5. I agree

I think Luongo's market value is only slightly less than what it would be on a 5 year deal and that will be compensated by having to take back salary and conditional picks.
While this is technically true, no player with a NTC is going to waive unless his new team is going to honor that clause going forward, which they can do by novation. Essentially, Luongo can say "not waiving to go to team X, unless Team X agrees that I have this clause going forward." Carter lost his because he was traded before it became active, he never had that bargaining chip.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:24 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Come to Denver Shultz we have mountains here too and it snows just like in Canada

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote