HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Starr / McGuire

Old
06-22-2012, 08:35 AM
drivefor25

vCash: 500
Starr / McGuire

I just sat in my car this morning and heard the final seconds of Shawn Starr dissing Pierre Mcquire and was wondering if anybody knew what happened.

drivefor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:46 AM
roy munson

I heard it too. Yesterday morning they (990) said that during the draft show on TSN the night before, McGuire said something to the effect that Bergevin should trade Subban for whatever reason. McGuire was mad because he didn't say that at all. 990 played the tape saying that in fact he NEVER said that, but Pierre was still mad.

roy munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:46 AM
havok78

i was wondering too, seems PM went out on SS with bad info then TB got involved with Bird Droppings...

havok78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:50 AM
centrehice

ya, it was all over that PM said the Habs should trade Subban, when all he said was IF HE WAS THE OILERS, he would call about Subban, cause he's the perfect fit for them.

This got spun some how to him saying Subban and 3rd overall for the 1st pick.

He was on the Mitch Melnick show yesterday afternoon, and kept saying "you guys should just email and ask me, don't get it wrong" (essentially)

When asked why he was saying "you guys", PM specified that he was referring to the morning show, and how they misquoted PM.

centrehice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:01 AM
intylerwetrust
Space Oddity

well I remember PM saying on TSN "if I were Bergevin, Id get on the phone with the Oilers and offer PK + 3rd pick for #1 overall".

intylerwetrust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:01 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Those guys in the morning show should really listen before talking crap. McGuire clearly never said the Habs should trade PK and was talking if he was the Oilers GM that's who he would target out of Montreal. What's even funnier is the idiots who believed the morning show guys and made dumb ass comments all over twitter to make Habs fans look even worse

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:02 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by intylerwetrust View Post
well I remember PM saying on TSN "if I were Bergevin, Id get on the phone with the Oilers and offer PK + 3rd pick for #1 overall".
PM never said that and they played the tapes 3 times last night, never ever did he say that.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:05 AM
sampollock

looks like PM will be done with the 990, as he must be a little sore he never got the gm job

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:12 AM
HomaridII

PM said that if he were the Oilers he would be calling the Habs and trying to pry PK Subban from them because Subban was EXACTLY what the Oilers needed.

He never, once, either on TSN TV or Team 990, said he would do the trade if he was the Habs, he said if he were the Oilers, that is who he would be calling to trade the no.1 pick to because of what Subban will become.

Starr reported that Mcguire was saying the Habs should trade Subban, which got Mcguire really pissed because his own network (TSN's network lets remember) was miss quoting him and because he emails with PK back and forth from time to time (including about this) and he would never say that.

Mcguire is 10000000% right on this people. They have played the tape multiple times after on Team 990 and Mcguire NEVER said the Habs should trade Subban. He said if he were the Oilers GM THAT is the guy he would want out of all the guys in the NHL for the no.1 pick.

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:14 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
looks like PM will be done with the 990, as he must be a little sore he never got the gm job
No he isn't. He is pissed he is being misquoted on the same network he made the comments in.

Really low class journalism if you ask me.

Old
06-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
PM said that if he were the Oilers he would be calling the Habs and trying to pry PK Subban from them because Subban was EXACTLY what the Oilers needed.

He never, once, either on TSN TV or Team 990, said he would do the trade if he was the Habs, he said if he were the Oilers, that is who he would be calling to trade the no.1 pick to because of what Subban will become.

Starr reported that Mcguire was saying the Habs should trade Subban, which got Mcguire really pissed because his own network (TSN's network lets remember) was miss quoting him and because he emails with PK back and forth from time to time (including about this) and he would never say that.

Mcguire is 10000000% right on this people. They have played the tape multiple times after on Team 990 and Mcguire NEVER said the Habs should trade Subban. He said if he were the Oilers GM THAT is the guy he would want out of all the guys in the NHL for the no.1 pick.
There are too many people who hate PM just because and will still blast him. Those people wished they had his job

Old
06-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Talks to Goalposts

The real controversy yesterday wasn't that he said that's a move he'd try to do if he was the Oiler's GM.

It was that he said it would actually be a feasible move for Edmonton, i.e. something that Montreal might go along with. This is in contrast to how most in Montreal take that deal as a complete non-starter they'd have no interest in.

This lead to the implication that McGuire believed either that:
1. It was the starting point for a fair deal for Montreal that a reasonable management team would accept.

or

2. Its a bad deal for Montreal but they are dumb enough to do it.

Neither reflects well on McGuire.

But people should listen to what he actually said and form their opinions on that rather than rely on hearsay. Taking words out of context and twisting them to fit agenda's seems to be half the stupid media firestorms that surrounding this club.

Last edited by Talks to Goalposts: 06-22-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
Halifaxhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
No he isn't. He is pissed he is being misquoted on the same network he made the comments in.

Really low class journalism if you ask me.
Absolutely misquoted, I watched it and he absolutely said "If I were the Oilers GM".

That being said......McGuire is still a d-o-u-c-h-e nozzle and I hate him.....but he ain't no liar

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Its impossible to do PM's job (talking hockey incessantly) without occasionally being misunderstood/misquoted/misspoken.

Give the dude a break.

Next....

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:34 AM
HomaridII

Apparently Mcguire is on Marinaro right now ..

I am not listening to it but I hope someone is and can tell us what he is saying

Old
06-22-2012, 09:34 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
he just said that's what he'd ask if he was tambo.

christ people... the guy gives a million interviews each day, maybe he spoke too soon, big whoop. doesn't change the fact that he didn't say that habs should trade subban for first overall innit?

edit: and i hate the ****ing guy, but come on...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, Pierre.

Not everyone is going to like you. I- for one- have disliked Pierre long before this and I never pay any attention to any thing he says.

He reminds me to much of Cherry. Loud blow-hard who lacks humility. He is too critical of players and is just a TV/media personality. Has nothing to do with whatever he said about Subban.... and all to do with him.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:03 AM
WestIslander

Pierre McGuire DID NOT say trade Subban and 3rd overall to Edmonton, he said if Montreal wanted it then Tambellini should ask for Subban and the 3rd overall draft pick because Edmonton has a NEED on defense!

McGuire is smarter than that, he would not do it (I hope not!) and I think that he is just doing his job on TV and speculating what it would take to get 1st overall.

In my opinion, Subban is worth 1st overall but not Subban + 3rd overall.

I would love to see: 1st overall and 3rd overall and take both Yakupov and Galchenyuk and move forward with them as the tandem in Montreal on the top line.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:08 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
The real controversy yesterday wasn't that he said that's a move he'd try to do if he was the Oiler's GM.

It was that he said it would actually be a feasible move for Edmonton, i.e. something that Montreal might go along with. This is in contrast to how most in Montreal take that deal as a complete non-starter they'd have no interest in.

1. It was the starting point for a fair deal for Montreal that a reasonable management team would except.

or

But people should listen to what he actually said and form their opinions on that rather than rely on hearsay. Taking words out of context and twisting them to fit agenda's seems to be half the stupid media firestorms that surrounding this club.
THIS THIS THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MCguire should have been more clear, because on TSN after he said that, James Duthie said, that Mtl wouldn't go for it, and Mcguire just said, ya they add something....very unclear, but problem is Mcgurie somehow felt like that it would be a base for a deal, which is stupid.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
HabFan4Ever

Pierre McGuire only and specifically said that Edmonton should contact Montreal.

Details of who he suggests may or may not be offered etc. are not relevant.

He did not say that Montreal should contact Edmonton or in any way that Montreal should accept this or any offer from Edmonton.

This is a perfect example of words and/or meaning(s) being misconstrued to be something other than what came out of a person's mouth.

Now being fair to those who did in fact come to their own subjective interpretation(s) of what Pierre McGuire said, it is only natural to wonder why should Edmonton request what Pierre McGuire is suggesting, if it is not a possibility to him. If it's not a possibility, then why not suggest that Edmonton call Shero and offer the 1st pick for Jordan Staal.

HabFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:24 AM
BJCOLLINS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PDIBTS_xDQ

isn't PM still working for 6 Flags?

BJCOLLINS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:34 AM
AntonCH

Quite honestly, who cares? it's only Mcguire.
It's not like somebody of any real value is being dissed. He's a talking head with a big butt, he'll get over it.

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
NotProkofievian

Quote:

1. It was the starting point for a fair deal for Montreal that a reasonable management team would except.

or

Correct. It seemed like something shamelessly made up and completely clueless. It sounds like something Tambellini would say to his drinking buddies "oh man, you know what'd be hilarious!? if we could weasel PK subban and the 3rd pick for our first!"

Bottom line, most people thought the idea would simply be a waste of however much time it takes to listen to someone tell you to go **** your hat.

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:44 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

I saw the friggen thing. McGuire did not say Montreal should do this deal, he said that if he was Edmonton he'd ask for Subban + 3rd.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:52 AM
JohnnyReb

Quote:

or

Exactly. So what if he said it from Edmonton's perspective?? Obviously he felt it was a "fair" deal, otherwise why say it? It would be akin to him saying "If I was Marc Bergevin I would call up Ray Shero and ask for Sydney Crosby. I'd offer the 3rd overall and something else."

You can't then turn around and then claim that it's a stupid deal that Pittsburgh would never accept! It's your own deal! If it's such a stupid deal that would never be accepted, why did you suggest it?? While doing the segment they cut away to a video of PK Subban during a national anthem. Obviously McGuire prepped the TV crew to have it ready, meaning it wasn't "off the cuff" or in response to a sudden question. It was the beginning of a segment, they all knew what the segment was going to be about, and they all prepared their comments accordingly. It's what you do when you're in the business.

McGuire apparently thought it was the basis for a fair deal ("absolutely" he said), meaning that any Montreal GM would be inclined to accept it. And since he was "almost" Montreal's GM... He didn't say "the only way Edmonton should trade the #1 is if a team like Montreal is willing to overpay, with say Subban and the 3rd..." No. He said that "absolutely you can get it done."

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote