HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6/22-23 - 2012 NHL Draft - 6 PM CT - NBCSN (Rounds 2-7 on NHLN at 9 AM CT)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 10:46 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
What ever happened to Grigorenko? Man did he fall off the board. I could legitimately still see him going as high as 3 (Habs have extra incentive; I've heard he's very popular in QC) or falling like Fowler to like 18.

I don't really see Fletch taking him, but I would absolutely not complain if he did.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Reading those Trouba <-> Foote comparisons, just still don't get it.

I mean, how many teams think, "boy if we only had Adam Foote, we'd really go far." Maybe it's because I didn't see him much in his prime, or maybe because he never played a full season (ever!)...but he seems like the kind of guy who's nice to have but not really a cornerstone player.

Now if he were a big time hitter who also had offense, like Scott Stevens, that's different. That's a guy who plays both ends of the ice. And Dumba's a lot closer to that type of player.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:51 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
What ever happened to Grigorenko? Man did he fall off the board. I could legitimately still see him going as high as 3 (Habs have extra incentive; I've heard he's very popular in QC) or falling like Fowler to like 18.

I don't really see Fletch taking him, but I would absolutely not complain if he did.
Grigorenko... He's a conundrum. That is why he's dropping.

As a potential draftee, you really don't want the word "conundrum" associated with your name leading into the draft...

Old
06-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Teravainen seems to have moved up the draft charts somewhat, at least according to Russo. Some of the scouts were apparently saying he could be a number 1 pick if they looked at him more.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/160004995.html

Old
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post

I mean, how many teams think, "boy if we only had Adam Foote, we'd really go far." Maybe it's because I didn't see him much in his prime, or maybe because he never played a full season (ever!)...but he seems like the kind of guy who's nice to have but not really a cornerstone player.

Now if he were a big time hitter who also had offense, like Scott Stevens, that's different. That's a guy who plays both ends of the ice. And Dumba's a lot closer to that type of player.
Some people prefer different things. For me when it comes to defensemen, its about how many minutes they can eat against top opposition. If Trouba can develop into a defenseman that regular eats top 2 minutes of EV, PK and maybe top 4 in PP, I would be VERY happy.

If he does all that, but only scores 30 pts, I would be still VERY happy.

Old
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

Foote in his prime was something but the era he played in probably helped some.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
06-22-2012, 10:57 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Teravainen seems to have moved up the draft charts somewhat, at least according to Russo. Some of the scouts were apparently saying he could be a number 1 pick if they looked at him more.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/160004995.html
I know how much this organization needs defense, but seriously just imagine a Granlund-Koivu-Teravainen line.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
I know how much this organization needs defense, but seriously just imagine a Granlund-Koivu-Teravainen line.
We do need defense but don't forget we never fixed our goalscoring problem.

Remeber in 2010 draft how some were upset we drafted Granlund because he's a playmaker? Ever since, we got more two-way forwards and playmakers but still no goalscorer.

Teravainen can bring that.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:03 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Maatta and Kuek! COME ON! LOL

Old
06-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
Some people prefer different things. For me when it comes to defensemen, its about how many minutes they can eat against top opposition. If Trouba can develop into a defenseman that regular eats top 2 minutes of EV, PK and maybe top 4 in PP, I would be VERY happy.

If he does all that, but only scores 30 pts, I would be still VERY happy.
But can he do anything other than eat up minutes against top players? Can he move the puck quickly out of trouble? Can he occasionally skate it up? Can he turn the puck from defense to offense?

One thing this team has had a lot of trouble with is getting stuck in its own end because they can't move the puck up. They can have great defensemen who clear the crease and block shots, but if the other team can set up and cycle for 30-60 seconds even strength several times a game, you're playing with fire.

With Trouba, I just worry he's going to become another Nick Schultz type player who, yeah, plays some big minutes and defends against the rush and has strong position. But then what does he do when gets the puck? Chip it off the glass? Try and get it to a D partner (Brodin?) who can make a better pass?

Maybe he'd be an excellent #2 to Brodin's #1. I dunno, I'm not a scout. I'm just not drooling over this guy at #7.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:08 PM
Sportsfan1

Quote:
Who would shoot?

Russo was just on KFAN and said he thinks the Wild will go with my guy Dumba if he's there at 7, that works for me.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:14 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Glad to see Teuvo being recognized. I, at the moment, have a feeling that he's picked higher than #7 tho. He'll be a hard one to pass if he's still available.

Again, I'm biased 'cos I have seen him the most - by far - from this years draftees. I just really, really liked what I saw last season.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:19 PM
TZM
Par too easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Who would shoot?

Russo was just on KFAN and said he thinks the Wild will go with my guy Dumba if he's there at 7, that works for me.
I'd be happy with this decision. I think he's more what the Wild needs in D men than for example Trouba.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Haite
x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfan1 View Post
Who would shoot?
Yeah, while Teräväinen isn't exactly afraid to shoot and doesn't have a bad shot, he's still primarily a pass-first, playmaker type player.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:24 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Reiterating this. When your guy isn't chosen or favorite player is traded, take a deep breath before posting.
So we can get more words in?

Old
06-22-2012, 12:44 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Does anyone have a clue where i might get to watch this over the internet?

I dont have any of the channels showing the draft and would be interesting in watching it tonight..
NHL.com may or may not be streaming the first round. Rounds 2-7 will be streamed.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:47 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
But can he do anything other than eat up minutes against top players? Can he move the puck quickly out of trouble? Can he occasionally skate it up? Can he turn the puck from defense to offense?

One thing this team has had a lot of trouble with is getting stuck in its own end because they can't move the puck up. They can have great defensemen who clear the crease and block shots, but if the other team can set up and cycle for 30-60 seconds even strength several times a game, you're playing with fire.

With Trouba, I just worry he's going to become another Nick Schultz type player who, yeah, plays some big minutes and defends against the rush and has strong position. But then what does he do when gets the puck? Chip it off the glass? Try and get it to a D partner (Brodin?) who can make a better pass?

Maybe he'd be an excellent #2 to Brodin's #1. I dunno, I'm not a scout. I'm just not drooling over this guy at #7.
One thing I can say in Trouba's defense vis a vis this team, he's different from what we currently have in system (aside from possibly Scandella). We're stockpiling puck movers to fix our issues from last year, but when it comes down to it, we had two problems on defense last year. We had no puck movers, but we also didn't have anyone clearing the crease the whole season. With Brodin, Gilbert, and Kampfer brought in, I think we're at the position where we can look to fix one or the other (or both if possible in the same guy) rather than needing to just focus on puck movement. Personally I'd like to fix the third, unmentioned issue of taking shots from the blue line.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:57 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

I would be so pumped if we ended up with Dumba or Reinhart

Old
06-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Gilbert and Brodin I see as top four guys for sure but Kampfer is redundant with Spurgeon. A decent puck mover on the third line, but not someone you can stick against high end competition. I'm not a big "size" guy, but you can't have 5'9 guys getting 25 minutes a night.

I could see a big shutdown guy with some skills and offense (like Reinhart) or an averaged sized guy with plenty of skills, smarts, and offense (like Dumba, Murray, even Rielly), but taking an averaged sized shutdown guy with limited offense...how often does that work out in the top 5? Schenn and Hedman are guys that come to mind, and they really haven't done all that much.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:03 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
NHL.com may or may not be streaming the first round. Rounds 2-7 will be streamed.
http://www.tsn.ca/ they have coverage in the up right side

Old
06-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

I love the draft. Its like Christmas in July, except its June!

Old
06-22-2012, 01:09 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogsfanforum View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/ they have coverage in the up right side
TSN's feed is Canada only.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:10 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
The draft is more like Hanukkah, as we're always the Jewish kids at Christmas in July.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil

Aha. Too true.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:14 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
I think of deadline as xmas, draft as new years and good old FA freezy as good old canada day

Closed Thread