HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Luongo XIII - UnoLussy (Mod Warning In OP)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 12:22 PM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Luongo is still popular with Panthers fans. Bringing him back would be a very good PR move.
Which is also a dumb reason to trade for a player.

a player:
- Living in the area
- Having Family from the area
- Being somewhat popular with the fans

are NOT something a team that is trading for him would care about.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:24 PM
CrazyJ

vCash: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
Bolded part wouldn't matter at all to Florida. Stop bringing that up Nuck fans.
I think Luongos family living in Florida would matter to Florida. Not as much as people (us Canucks fans) would want people to think, but it would matter. What team doesn't want a player to want to be there, happy with their home life away from the rink. That can only improve the quality of said players performance and would be good for the team atmosphere.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoundCake View Post
Which is also a dumb reason to trade for a player.

a player:
- Living in the area
- Having Family from the area
- Being somewhat popular with the fans

are NOT something a team that is trading for him would care about.
Have to disagree with you there. But in any case what are the reasons why Vancouver would, or should, trade him to Toronto?

Toronto has very little of value (excluding those pieces they won't trade for him) to the Canucks.

I guess the 2013 first could be an option, but apart from that? :shrug:

Old
06-22-2012, 12:26 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmightyPO View Post
Funny, since before Lindback was traded most Vancouver fans were arguing AGAINST the salary structure making them not interested. Not saying you did it, but I remember arguing that Luongo wouldn't fit in Tampa with quite the resistance from Nuck fans.

Disagree all you want, Burke still thinks Reimer is the real deal and as a result won't be giving up major pieces for Luongo.
Again, I disagree that Burke is banking on Reimer being the real deal. Obviously no one can read his mind but I'm trying to look at it objectively based on watching Reimer last season. For all the flack Burke takes from Canuck fans, I happen to think he's a competent GM. I'm fairly confident that while he has not given up on Reimer he will not roll the dice on a bounce back seaon.
The more I see the price going up for marginal young goalies like Bobrovsky the more optimistic I'm becoming that Vancouver gets a fair deal from Toronto for Luongo. To me, it looks like GM's are getting pretty desperate and that the pickings are slim.

Old
Liferleafer
Golf....again....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Because it takes two to tango.

A deal has to be agreed on by both sides, regardless of how ideal a fit that player is.

Florida has an abundance of picks and prospects, Vancouver has a very good starting goaltender.
I'm not trying to argue,but, you have a team who went to game 7 against the eventual SC finalists with their goalies. A team who has one of if not the best goalie prospect out there. A team which is not a cash rich team and barring Campbell historically doesn't absorb large contracts. A team who has already lost/traded or had issues at the time with mentioned player who is now much older. A team who KNOWS like all other teams that Van. is really hoping to move this player who also holds a NTC which limits even further his value.

Now taking all of this into consideration, what are the odds that Tallon is sitting with his management group saying "now guys, how exactly can we help the Vancouver Canucks?"

Old
gabeliscious

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
Lindback, Bobrovsky, Vokoun, Thomas, Harding. Looks like Burke was not interested in all of these 'upgrades' and has some one else in mind. Johnny Bower making a comeback?

laugh all you want but it is going to be much easier for burke to start the season with reimer/scrivens then it is for gillis to get schnieder to sign a contract knowing he will still need to split time with luongo.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
How times have changed...(since yesterday)

You Nuck fans sure like changing your tune when it fits your argument.
u got me, grats

Old
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
Given that the NHL just had a record year for revenues, I doubt the cap is going to drop.
Owners are reportedly going to look to change the 57/43 share. If that happens, the cap will go down with it.

Old
vanwest

Quote:
How times have changed...(since yesterday)

You Nuck fans sure like changing your tune when it fits your argument.
I think mos Canuck fans saw Toronto and maybe Florida as the most likely options.

Old
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJ View Post
I think Luongos family living in Florida would matter to Florida. Not as much as people (us Canucks fans) would want people to think, but it would matter. What team doesn't want a player to want to be there, happy with their home life away from the rink. That can only improve the quality of said players performance and would be good for the team atmosphere.
You're reaching.

It's exponentially more important for a player to be a good fit at the right price. Florida has serviceable goaltending now and has an amazing prospect as well. Luongo will also be expensive both in terms of salary and cost to acquire in a trade.

All those things are weighing against Luongo going to Florida, yet people bring up that his wife is from there like it's some kind of counterpoint.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Ballgarath

garrison its believed is going to free agency maybe vancouver can make a trade for him and theodore for LU+w/e both gms think is fair. its been reported he'll be asking for around 5mil.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
Funny, since before Lindback was traded most Vancouver fans were arguing AGAINST the salary structure making them not interested. Not saying you did it, but I remember arguing that Luongo wouldn't fit in Tampa with quite the resistance from Nuck fans.

Disagree all you want, Burke still thinks Reimer is the real deal and as a result won't be giving up major pieces for Luongo.
Burke tried to tell us that Cloutier and Brochu (to be fair, he wanted Garth Snow, ooh) were the real deal too.

"The teamís major question mark was in net, where Dan Cloutier was unproven as a starting goaltender and no backup goalie was in place. At that fallís waiver draft, general manager Brian Burke addressed the backup goalie position, claiming minor-league veteran Martin Brochu, a decision that many questioned at the time. Why did Burke enter the season with an unproven backup behind an unproven starter?"

Does the bolded sound familiar, Leafs fans? Don't fall for Burke's lies about Reimer/Scrivens being the future. We've been there before. We're really not just making this up to make Lu sound better than he is. He will help your team immensely if you get him, more than Reimer/Scrivens ever can or will. But you gotta give to get.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:32 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Have to disagree with you there. But in any case what are the reasons why Vancouver would, or should, trade him to Toronto?

Toronto has very little of value (excluding those pieces they won't trade for him) to the Canucks.

I guess the 2013 first could be an option, but apart from that? :shrug:
Vancouver doesn't have to trade Luongo to Toronto.

Then that leaves the question of whether a small market team will take on that contract and send valuable pieces back in addition to that when their current starter got them into the playoffs at 1/4 of the salary of Luongo.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
I'm not trying to argue,but, you have a team who went to game 7 against the eventual SC finalists with their goalies. A team who has one of if not the best goalie prospect out there. A team which is not a cash rich team and barring Campbell historically doesn't absorb large contracts. A team who has already lost/traded or had issues at the time with mentioned player who is now much older. A team who KNOWS like all other teams that Van. is really hoping to move this player who also holds a NTC which limits even further his value.

Now taking all of this into consideration, what are the odds that Tallon is sitting with his management group saying "now guys, how exactly can we help the Vancouver Canucks?"
Of course Tallon isn't sitting there stating that. His job is to help the Panthers. Again, I'm not the one stating that Florida is interested, to be honest I was a bit surprised when that rumour surfaced.

However now that is has, along with the one stating that 3 other GM's are kicking the tires, there is no reason to assume Vancouver is going to unload Luongo for cap dumps and spare parts.

You are accusing me of failing to see the other team's perspective, but you're doing the exact same thing - in this case in regards to the Canucks.

Vancouver will move Luongo for the best deal. Period. And with 4 suitors, who likely know what each other is offering, they can afford to focus on picks/prospects or a roster player that helps them.

Hell, even with that being said, my Florida proposal still contains a dump of sorts in Upshall.

Last edited by Diamonddog01: 06-22-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old
Ballgarath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
Owners are reportedly going to look to change the 57/43 share. If that happens, the cap will go down with it.
if the cap ( going down ) matches the rollback nothing will change, the cap will be lower but so will player salaries.

Old
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
The owners are also hoping to lower the cap floor. That's far more likely to be the concession than even a small change in revenue sharing percentage.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
I don't agree with your point. Yzerman had few options because there simply are no legitimate starters available. Luongo just couldn't fit in their salary structure. Take a look at it. And for all the praise Stevie Y gets as a GM he did go with Roloson again last year. I'd argue that TBay would have had a good team with quality goaltending.
In the earlier threads, many fans brushed off everything you just said. It was a "lock" Luongo was coming to Tampa and his contract would be ideal for us. We tried to tell them the fit wasn't good, but they guaranteed he'd be coming here and we were beyond stupid if we thought otherwise. It's good to know that at least one Vancouver fan understands that, no matter how good a goalie Luongo is, he just didn't fit here rather than accusing us of not valuing him properly.

(As for Roloson, he got us within 1 goal of the finals year before last. It would have taken unbelievable powers of precognition to predict how badly his performance fell from then to the start of last season. He did regain quite a bit of his form toward the end of the year. But, he was really only signed as a stopgap, anyway.)

Old
06-22-2012, 12:36 PM
I in the Eye

If Gillis trades Luongo to Florida for a 3rd rounder, do Canuck fans and Leaf fans join hands and mourn together?

Old
06-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
It's hard to see either TBay or Columbus improving significantly with Lindback or Bobrovsky.
As bad as Tampa Bay's goaltending was last year, heck, they could put me in the net and have significant improvement!

(Joking.)

Old
06-22-2012, 12:39 PM
dfunk

What if Burke flew to vancouver and literally got on his knees pleading and begging Mike gillis to give him Luongo for Komisarek and Connolly?
like really, really begged and pleaded.
would that work?

Old
06-22-2012, 12:39 PM
The Saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
If Gillis trades Luongo to Florida for a 3rd rounder, do Canuck fans and Leaf fans join hands and mourn together?
I wouldn't mourn at all. In fact, I'd be elated if that were the case. The Leafs would have indirectly escaped cap hell that would have definitely popped up in a couple of years if they acquired Luongo.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:40 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtra View Post
not a worry...they can take him to arbitration....there isn't a worry about that for now.
I read that they can't file for arbitration with him until 7/5, which leaves a few days when he can be offer sheeted.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:41 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Vancouver doesn't have to trade Luongo to Toronto.

Then that leaves the question of whether a small market team will take on that contract and send valuable pieces back in addition to that when their current starter got them into the playoffs at 1/4 of the salary of Luongo.
I suppose it does. I'm just going by rumours stated by various members of the media, who knows what's legit vs what isn't.

Old
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
I think that it's more a case of GM's trying to put a brave face on a pretty bad situation. It's hard to see either TBay or Columbus improving significantly with Lindback or Bobrovsky. Or Toronto getting better with Reimer/Scrivens. Longer term I see Lindback as a more intriguing acquisition though.
The thing with that is, both Lindback, and especially Bob, have high potential and are slated to be good number ones. Why would a team have all that potential for a very young goaltender who could be a number one in a year or two, and then trade for a goaltender who's ten years older and still has ten years left on his contract?

I agree with you partially about the brave face, but with the Lindback and Bob trades, I think it backs Vancover more into a corner than they were before. If Schneider continues to take over as a starter, Luongo's value is going to plummet even more.

Old
Ballgarath

no sarcasm intended here but you do realize vancouver has other assets to offer other than just LU or schnides? if we are getting back what we need there are players vancouver could part with.so if we trade LU we can use other assets to sweeten the deal to get what we want.

Closed Thread