HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Starr / McGuire

Old
06-22-2012, 10:55 AM
NotProkofievian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBarker View Post
I saw the friggen thing. McGuire did not say Montreal should do this deal, he said that if he was Edmonton he'd ask for Subban + 3rd.
We all heard it.

Among us, there are two groups of people it seems:

1.) People who heard it and thought "Gee, that sounds not retarded."

2.) People who heard it and thought...

NotProkofievian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:29 PM
HabFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post

McGuire apparently thought it was the basis for a fair deal ("absolutely" he said), meaning that any Montreal GM would be inclined to accept it. And since he was "almost" Montreal's GM... He didn't say "the only way Edmonton should trade the #1 is if a team like Montreal is willing to overpay, with say Subban and the 3rd..." No. He said that "absolutely you can get it done."
Sorry he never said it was a basis for a fair deal & frankly I don't understand why people insert other words or words that they prefer to hear !

Here is the video link and you can scroll to the 20:28 mark of that video for the exact point

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip703586

HabFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:30 PM
hotcarle

I am a McGuire fan, but at the very least, he shouldn't be surprised that people would be confused about what he said. Why would one suggest a terrible deal as an example of a starting point? Even Duthie looked at him like "that's a terrible deal....Montreal would never do that...", after which McGuire added the "Edmonton would have to add a little something..."...a little something?!...You'd think McGuire would use his McGuire words and say something like "Edmonton would have to also add an additional component of some significance to allow the deal to come to fruition"...

I thought it was hilarious to hear McGuire totally call out Starr yesterday though....I guess Starr won't be going over to have dinner at McGuire's anymore...

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:43 PM
Patrice Brisebois

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Quite honestly, who cares? it's only Mcguire.
It's not like somebody of any real value is being dissed. He's a talking head with a big butt, he'll get over it.
I was starting to wonder how far I'd have to read through the thread until someone finally said those words. Well done

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabFan4Ever View Post
Sorry he never said it was a basis for a fair deal & frankly I don't understand why people insert other words or words that they prefer to hear !

Here is the video link and you can scroll to the 20:28 mark of that video for the exact point

If it wasn't the basis for a deal, I have no idea what else it could be.

And he did say he wanted PK Subban and then in the next breath he also said he wanted the 3rd overall to draft Murray.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:49 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ted Bird makes things worse: @manofbird: Bird Droppings: l'affaire McGuire: The Morning Show Strikes Back http://t.co/grlbl0Xf

Way to bring up this issue and link it to the Habs GM search, so unprofessional.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:55 PM
MJG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Ted Bird makes things worse: @manofbird: Bird Droppings: l'affaire McGuire: The Morning Show Strikes Back http://t.co/grlbl0Xf

Way to bring up this issue and link it to the Habs GM search, so unprofessional.
Foolish of Bird to respond like that but he totally called out McGuire on many of the things he does that really bother me.

MJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
HabFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
If it wasn't the basis for a deal, I have no idea what else it could be.

And he did say he wanted PK Subban and then in the next breath he also said he wanted the 3rd overall to draft Murray.
As for what exact words exited his mouth, he did NOT say what their meaning(s)/interpretations are or should be. Those are for the professional and amateur pundits and opinion makers alike to come up with.

Yes you are correct, he did say that he wanted PK etc but only in response to a question if he were Steve Tambellini NOT if he were Marc Bergevin

Old
06-22-2012, 01:00 PM
JohnnyReb

Quote:

Uh, pot calling kettle alert.

I didn't say that he said it was the basis for for a fair deal, I said "he apparently thought it was the basis for a fair deal."

I don't understand why people insert other words or words that they prefer to hear!

And we're talking about two different clips here. You're talking about the mock draft, I'm talking about another one, where James Duthie asked what would it take for the Oilers to trade away the pick. McGuire said that if he was Tambelli he would call up Marc Bergevin and tell him that he was going to trade him the #1 pick for PK Subban and the #3.

Duthie then asked McGuire if he really thought you could get Subban and the #3 pick and McGuire replied "You'd have to put somethin' else in there, but absolutely I think you could do it."

Let me bold that part, because it's a direct quote, word for word, no words being put anywhere:

"...absolutely I think you could do it."

So, if he now says that he wouldn't do it as GM of Montreal, then why the heck does he "absolutely think you could do it?"

JohnnyReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
HabFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
Foolish of Bird to respond like that but he totally called out McGuire on many of the things he does that really bother me.
Whether it be Bird, Marinaro, etc they have radio shows and stations to promote/sell and creating any possible controversy is what some readers and/or listeners love

Old
06-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
As for what exact words exited his mouth, he did NOT say what their meaning(s)/interpretations are or should be. Those are for the professional and amateur pundits and opinion makers alike to come up with.

Yes you are correct, he did say that he wanted PK etc but only in response to a question if he were Steve Tambellini NOT if he were Marc Bergevin
McGuire could of said Weber and a 2nd, but he didn't.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:06 PM
HabFan4Ever

Quote:
Uh, pot calling kettle alert.

I didn't say that he said it was the basis for for a fair deal, I said "he apparently thought it was the basis for a fair deal."

I don't understand why people insert other words or words that they prefer to hear!

And we're talking about two different clips here. You're talking about the mock draft, I'm talking about another one, where James Duthie asked what would it take for the Oilers to trade away the pick. McGuire said that if he was Tambelli he would call up Marc Bergevin and tell him that he was going to trade him the #1 pick for PK Subban and the #3.

Duthie then asked McGuire if he really thought you could get Subban and the #3 pick and McGuire replied "You'd have to put somethin' else in there, but absolutely I think you could do it."

Let me bold that part, because it's a direct quote, word for word, no words being put anywhere:

"...absolutely I think you could do it."

So, if he now says that he wouldn't do it as GM of Montreal, then why the heck does he "absolutely think you could do it?"
Quoting someone as to what they said or wrote without the evidence is just hearsay. May I suggest that you produce the clip so we can all hear it for ourselves.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

At the end of the day, who give a flying ****.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:12 PM
HabFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
McGuire could of said Weber and a 2nd, but he didn't.
And he could have said Crosby and a 1st rounder but he didn't as well.

I'm not disputing what I believe he meant, I'm just saying that what should be quoted is the exact words that came out of his mouth.

By extension, he shouldn't have said what he would ask for IF he were Tambellini if he didn't think it was a remotely possible deal to be done or accepted by Mtl.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:20 PM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by intylerwetrust View Post
well I remember PM saying on TSN "if I were Bergevin, Id get on the phone with the Oilers and offer PK + 3rd pick for #1 overall".
it was the other way around.

That if edmonton doesnt want to take Yakupov, they should identify some teams with young stud dmen. like Montreal with subban and then make a phone call.

maybe my memory is shot but I do not remember him saying that The Habs should do it. just that edm should try for it.

IceDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:20 PM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Quoting someone as to what they said or wrote without the evidence is just hearsay. May I suggest that you produce the clip so we can all hear it for ourselves.
Fine.

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip703589#clip703589

Old
06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
What's Pierre's e-mail? He says he talks to All fans specially hockey players, I'd like to clear it up!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:27 PM
HabFan4Ever

Quote:
Sorry JR but I'm having trouble with the link that you provided so that after the Ford Ad I get the following;

We are experiencing temporary difficulties downloading your lineup. Please wait another few seconds and try again if you're still having problems.

Thanks for your patience.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:51 PM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
Sorry JR but I'm having trouble with the link that you provided so that after the Ford Ad I get the following;

We are experiencing temporary difficulties downloading your lineup. Please wait another few seconds and try again if you're still having problems.

Thanks for your patience.
Not much I can do about that.

Still not sure what you are arguing here. That he suggested that Steve Tambellini call up Marc Bergevin and propose the first overall "and something else" for PK Subban and the third overall is beyond dispute. So why in the heck would he say that - repeatedly - on national television if he didn't think it was a fair deal?? You yourself said that he shouldn't have proposed it if he knew it was pointless from Montreal's side of things. You yourself also said that he could have suggested Crosby and a 1st rounder, but he didn't. So you tell me, why DIDN'T he suggest Crosby and a 1st rounder? Because it's stupid, right? Because it makes no sense from Pittsburgh's point of view, even though, ostensibly, McGuire was speaking from Edmonton's point of view? He didn't say Crosby and a 1st rounder because he didn't believe it was a fair deal.

So why would he suggest Subban and the 3rd overall, if he also didn't think that was a fair deal?? NOW let me put some words in McGuire's mouth: "I'm gonna suggest a stupid deal on national television that totally fleeces Montreal, a deal I would never make had I of been named general manager of the Canadiens, because..."

Well, because why?

Old
06-22-2012, 01:57 PM
HabFan4Ever

Quote:
So why would he suggest Subban and the 3rd overall, if he also didn't think that was a fair deal?? NOW let me put some words in McGuire's mouth: "I'm gonna suggest a stupid deal on national television that totally fleeces Montreal, a deal I would never make had I of been named general manager of the Canadiens, because..."

Well, because why?
I'm just saying that he never issued those words saying that it was a "fair deal" or anything else.

before I answer, am I correct to assume that you are asking me for my interpretation of why McGuire would say what he said ?

Old
06-22-2012, 02:02 PM
JohnnyReb

Quote:
I'm just saying that he never issued those words saying that it was a "fair deal" or anything else.

before I answer, am I correct to assume that you are asking me for my interpretation of why McGuire would say what he said ?
You are absolutely right, he never said it was "fair deal". My argument is that it is implied.

Yes, I am asking you why McGuire would say what he would say. Unfortunately (or forntunately? ) I'm out of here now and won't be back until much later so I won't catch your response for some time.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
There are too many people who hate PM just because and will still blast him. Those people wished they had his job
People were blasting him during the mock draft show on TSN for saying that. So, you're right, it seems some people will hear what they want just to lash out at him.

On the flip side of things, it's a really embarrassing and dumb idea. It would be similar to us saying we really need a top line center, so we should call Washington and get their 11th overall+Backstrom. Really, it makes no sense.
Sure, PK is exactly what Edmonton is looking for, so is Doughty, Suter, Myers, Keith, etc..should they call those teams too?

There's just no way PK is going to be moved unless there is a gross overpayment, which is more than unlikely to happen. So, just putting it out there was dumb.

Crosby or Malkin are exactly what we need, but nobody is ever going to actually put it out as a feasible scenario. Same is true of PK.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
People were blasting him during the mock draft show on TSN for saying that. So, you're right, it seems some people will hear what they want just to lash out at him.

On the flip side of things, it's a really embarrassing and dumb idea. It would be similar to us saying we really need a top line center, so we should call Washington and get their 11th overall+Backstrom. Really, it makes no sense.
Sure, PK is exactly what Edmonton is looking for, so is Doughty, Suter, Myers, Keith, etc..should they call those teams too?

There's just no way PK is going to be moved unless there is a gross overpayment, which is more than unlikely to happen. So, just putting it out there was dumb.

Crosby or Malkin are exactly what we need, but nobody is ever going to actually put it out as a feasible scenario. Same is true of PK.
Yes but he was talking draft wise, of course we could use Malkin and Crosby and others but he was talking abot the top teams in the draft and which team he thinks the Oilers can move down with and get a legit top D which they lack. He suggested Montreal

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:50 PM
HabFan4Ever

Quote:
You are absolutely right, he never said it was "fair deal". My argument is that it is implied.

Yes, I am asking you why McGuire would say what he would say. Unfortunately (or forntunately? ) I'm out of here now and won't be back until much later so I won't catch your response for some time.
JR,

I think that McGuire said that because too often he says and makes comments that are based on seat of the pants emotional reactions rather than a sound rational business thought process. That wasn't imo one of his best moments.

People know what Subban is at this stage of his career, a 30 min/game workhorse who is an NHL quality proven defenseman. Now, whether or not Subban turns out to be a star in the future is another story and probably up to him as he displays all of the tools physically. Yakupov is an entry draft junior who has been touted as the best in a weaker draft. There are and have been too many incidents in the past where players can't make the jump up to the NHL and why would Montreal or any team trade a proven quality NHLer who eats huge mins for a slight gamble, keeping in mind with Yakupov we are not talking about drafting a young Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin or Stamkos. Plus not to forget that Yakupov had 1 concussion and possibly a 2nd in the past.

McGuire is an excellent judge of young amateur talent but in order to be a quality GM one needs a higher degree of business acumen.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:25 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Yes but he was talking draft wise, of course we could use Malkin and Crosby and others but he was talking abot the top teams in the draft and which team he thinks the Oilers can move down with and get a legit top D which they lack. He suggested Montreal
I understand that. I just think it's not worth mentioning because PK isn't moving, just like Edmonton wouldn't trade us RNH for the 3rd overall. But I understand he said nothing wrong.
Where I do think he was wrong was calling out the morning show. I mean, these are his colleagues and he reacted like a little baby..
I mean, it was quite ironic to hear him say that they should have emailed him, double check, that it's TSN, and then he goes on a rant himself without really double checking with the hosts what happened. He used hearsay himself to call out colleagues.

In any event, this is looking like high school drama. Quite lame.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote