HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal Wars - Episode VI: The Return Might Be Suspect (Turns down 10 yr, $60M deal)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 12:59 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Kulemin can do everything Duper can and more. With more size, better board play, better shot, more creativity with the puck and is just entering his prime.

I want him here. But I digress.

If we can't move Staal, I see our blue line getting a big shakeup to address our needs.
We probably can have him for a second rounder and a lesser prospect. Trading Staal for Kulemin, who is a project, a big gamble, doesn't make sense.

I don't hate Kulemin, but I just don't think he is as good as you are portraying him to be. We already have 30-40 point scores with good defensive abilities, we don't need another. We need scoring wingers. Kulemin, outisde of one season, isn't that.

And he can do everything Dupuis can and more? Dupuis has been a way more consistent producer so far in his career. Dupuis is an elite PKer who can play all three forward positions effectively. Dupuis is strong on the board and is a GREAT skater. Kulemin has better hands? Yipee, he can stick handle around pylons while only scoring 10 goals! Kulemin with Geno FTW...

Old
06-22-2012, 01:00 PM
zero8771

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Not a chance IMO.

We got guys like Sid and Geno who take a little less to help keep everyone in place. He clearly doesn't want to be here. I wouldn't let him start the year here but that's me
you dont make the team worse regardless. He is a better winger then most at his current cap hit. you have to get a return for him if you are going to trade him. If you cant then you cant then you use him and let him walk, same difference. Rather have a year of him and nothing next year then garbage now for him

Old
06-22-2012, 01:01 PM
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Yohe retweeted something from the Thunder Bay Tourism department welcoming Crosby and other Pens to town. Could be an awkward wedding reception.

Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

RE KEEPING STAAL

I am wondering about that too. Would he give his all? Would it be a distraction if we go through a bad streak of games and he's not playing well? I dunno. He seems like a quiet kid and not going to make waves, and not the type to dog it... but there are ups and downs in a season and I wonder if during the downs players might start pointing fingers.

Might be hard to keep him around but OTOH part of me is just like "if we have a great chance to win the Cup with him, then lose him... vs. getting scraps and not being as competitive... then keep him." Roll the dice and see if we can get one more Cup with him. Maybe he'd change his mind. Cups have a way of doing that.

Old
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardin087 View Post
you dont make the team worse regardless. He is a better winger then most at his current cap hit. you have to get a return for him if you are going to trade him. If you cant then you cant then you use him and let him walk, same difference. Rather have a year of him and nothing next year then garbage now for him
I'd rather picks and prospects and build with that rather then losing a guy to FA and have absolutely nothing to show for it. I mean were talking about a 25 year old here, not a 35 year old

Old
06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
After Staal pulled what, exactly? Man, I just don't understand how anyone can think negatively of Staal at this point.
This cannot be stated enough. People.... nobody said he had to stay in Pittsburgh his entire career. If he wants to go to be w/ family, closer to home, or just for the money... kudos to him. There is NOTHING wrong with it.

He's basically telling the Pens he doesn't want to sign, so be it. It happens. We are fortunate we have guys like Mario, Sid, and Geno who are more the rare finds that people take for granted.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:02 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Can you even bring Staal back after he pulled this ****?
If he wants to play it this way then I wouldn't be opposed to sitting him in the press box all year. Show him that this posturing crap can go both ways.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:03 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
IMO that Minnesota deal is looking more probable now (given our connections there), as Burke might pull the plug on his pick too assuming he was ever willing and if this stuff about the 8th is true. Seto and Clutterbuck for Staal? At this point that's looking primo. Anything to keep him away from Carolina (again if this buzz we're hearing is true). If they think they're getting him next summer latest and they want to keep their pick then ****ing keep it.
Pretty much this.

Old
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Come on, 10 year deal? Clearly doesn't want to be here. I like Jordan but he doesn't want to be here (long term) and we won't get **** for him during the season since he will be a UFA. So trade him now
Oh, I agree he doesn't want to be here. But who cares? That's very much his right and he's earned a larger role that we cannot give him. It's not as if he's purposely screwing us.

Old
zero8771

Quote:
RE KEEPING STAAL

I am wondering about that too. Would he give his all? Would it be a distraction if we go through a bad streak of games and he's not playing well? I dunno. He seems like a quiet kid and not going to make waves, and not the type to dog it... but there are ups and downs in a season and I wonder if during the downs players might start pointing fingers.

Might be hard to keep him around but OTOH part of me is just like "if we have a great chance to win the Cup with him, then lose him... vs. getting scraps and not being as competitive... then keep him."
He could have kept his agents mouth shut and let shero get some assets for him then go to FA with that new team. Or he could have asked for a trade to carolina now explicitly. I dont blame him for turning down the deal but the manner in which it was handled is a slap in the face IMO

Old
06-22-2012, 01:04 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
This cannot be stated enough. People.... nobody said he had to stay in Pittsburgh his entire career. If he wants to go to be w/ family, closer to home, or just for the money... kudos to him. There is NOTHING wrong with it.

He's basically telling the Pens he doesn't want to sign, so be it. It happens. We are fortunate we have guys like Mario, Sid, and Geno who are more the rare finds that people take for granted.
And I have no problem with a player not wanting to play in Pittsburgh either for what ever reason, but why let him walk and have nothing to show for it when we can move him and get assets back?

Old
06-22-2012, 01:04 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
RE KEEPING STAAL

Might be hard to keep him around but OTOH part of me is just like "if we have a great chance to win the Cup with him, then lose him... vs. getting scraps to say "we got something"... then keep him. Roll the dice and see if we can get one more Cup with him. Maybe he'd change his mind. Cups have a way of doing that.
Well, if he "dogs" it or if he has a bad season, he might end up regretting not taking the 58 million dollar offer. He has more to lose than us if Shero doesn't trade him. He HAS to have a good season in order to maximize his value, he won't "dog" it for sure.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:05 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
He could have kept his agents mouth shut and let shero get some assets for him then go to FA with that new team. Or he could have asked for a trade to carolina now explicitly. I dont blame him for turning down the deal but the manner in which it was handled is a slap in the face IMO
Wait.. please tell me how anything was a slap in the face? We only heard this because Pittsburgh put it out there, right? That was the tweet from this morning.

It's not like Staal is getting married with a Canes jersey on.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:06 PM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Quote:
The Penguins camp initially leaked word of the rejection, not Staal or his agent.

Old
SCUDeriMISSILE
We traded Staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
If he wants to play it this way then I wouldn't be opposed to sitting him in the press box all year. Show him that this posturing crap can go both ways.
If he wants to play it which way? He's not playing hardball; he's not holding out for a 10M/year contract; he's not refusing to report to camp; he's not demanding a trade.

I can't believe the amount of ******** because a guy wants to move on. Especially because we only know this to be true because the PENGUINS leaked it. Staal hasn't said a word.

Honestly, if I were Staal, I would have demanded a trade by now since it's pretty clear the Penguins don't care about leaking stuff on a whim.

Old
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Oh, I agree he doesn't want to be here. But who cares? That's very much his right and he's earned a larger role that we cannot give him. It's not as if he's purposely screwing us.
I have no problem with him wanting to play with his brother or which ever city he chooses to play for, but as a franchise you also need to think what's best for you in the long run. He rejected a 10 year deal, clearly doesn't want to be here long term and it's fine, now let's both move on. Get something while we can

Old
06-22-2012, 01:07 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Also, can I say I love the thread title? Great stuff guys.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:07 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Quote:
And I have no problem with a player not wanting to play in Pittsburgh either for what ever reason, but why let him walk and have nothing to show for it when we can move him and get assets back?
You realize if we do let him walk for nothing, we still got him to play his contract out. How many players and give us a better chance to win other than Staal this year?

Do you even know that he absolutely wants nothing to do with Pittsburgh? Nobody can say that for sure except Jordan and his agent.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

I'm not prepared to say this is all on Staal. He's not some savvy business man. He's a 24 year old kid who probably told his agent something as simple as "I want to see what I can do, and if I can be playing with my brothers while playing that new role - perfect." And then let his agent handle it / do all the talking.

So much of "how this is being handled" is probably on the agent himself, not Staal trying to make a statement or whatever. My guess is Staal wants as little spotlight with this as possible. At most we can probably blame him for choosing a dewshbag for an agent but hey... it's a common trait among agents.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Cause that makes management look like geniuses and future players would definitely sign with us.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Dupree13

The issue is not with him wanting to leave, the issue is him sabotaging his own trade value. Clearly, making his Carolina preference public has destroyed the trade market for him, leaving Shero in a total lurch.

Old
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Also, can I say I love the thread title? Great stuff guys.
Haha. Yah ColePens stated the Staal Wars thing I think, then I put the "sub-titles" in for a little levity. People need to remember it's only hockey.

Old
Certified Assassin
Souped up Wildcat

Quote:
This is just asinine.

Hockey is a sport, a business. Moves have to be made. I, for one, did not think the Pens would be able to keep Geno, Crosby and Staal together for their entire careers. I knew this. You can not blame Staal for wanting a bigger role in the league, or more money for that matter.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
You realize if we do let him walk for nothing, we still got him to play his contract out. How many players and give us a better chance to win other than Staal this year?

Do you even know that he absolutely wants nothing to do with Pittsburgh? Nobody can say that for sure except Jordan and his agent.
Yes he got to play his contract and it's great and he did it with pride and I respect and love him for that. The bottom line IMO(for me) is he doesn't want to be here long term as the rejection of the contract shows and now it's time to do what's best for the team and that's getting assets back for a great young player that we are going to lose at just what 25 years old

Old
06-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Shero knows the return he wants. If Staal isn't dealt then we know that return wasn't offered. If he is, then I trust Shero that was obviously the best that was offered regardless of whether it's to the Canes or not.

To me it's a simple and as complicated as that.

Closed Thread