HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Staal Wars - Episode VI: The Return Might Be Suspect (Turns down 10 yr, $60M deal)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 02:11 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I'm not prepared to say this is all on Staal. He's not some savvy business man. He's a 24 year old kid who probably told his agent something as simple as "I want to see what I can do, and if I can be playing with my brothers while playing that new role - perfect." And then let his agent handle it / do all the talking.

So much of "how this is being handled" is probably on the agent himself, not Staal trying to make a statement or whatever. My guess is Staal wants as little spotlight with this as possible. At most we can probably blame him for choosing a dewshbag for an agent but hey... it's a common trait among agents.
...which is why more and more athletes are representing themselves.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:12 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Yes he got to play his contract and it's great and he did it with pride and I respect and love him for that. The bottom line IMO(for me) is he doesn't want to be here long term as the rejection of the contract shows and now it's time to do what's best for the team and that's getting assets back for a great young player that we are going to lose at just what 25 years old
But we still don't 100% know that. We are all assuming based on the rejection. Maybe he wants a 5 year deal. Maybe he wants more money. Who knows? We are speculating.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:12 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Can you even bring Staal back after he pulled this ****?
considering he didn't pull any ****, you absolutely can. yes. Walking for nothing because he's a 23 year old that can make millions more dollars than we can offer while living out his childhood dreams is not "pulling ****" as far as I'm concerned. If Staal gets traded to Carolina I will be freaking ashamed to be a yinzer if he ever gets booed here.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shureshot66 View Post
The Penguins camp initially leaked word of the rejection, not Staal or his agent.
Which honestly begs the question. What is their game in doing so? It does sort of set Staal up as the dick to the Pens' fans, if not the other players, which could cause some issues in his reception this coming year and maybe in the lockerroom. The Pens are not a clown organization, they must have had some game plan where it benefits them to release this. Maybe setting us up for a deal and making us happy for it when it comes? I honestly see no good that could come of leaking this unless he is traded elsewhere. It poisons the well so to speak for the year, and makes him less likely to sign here if he was still open to it.

Last edited by Jaded-Fan: 06-22-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old
06-22-2012, 02:13 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
But we still don't 100% know that. We are all assuming based on the rejection. Maybe he wants a 5 year deal. Maybe he wants more money. Who knows? We are speculating.
I guess, anyways hopefully this is figured out real soon by both sides

Old
06-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
Which honestly begs the question. What is their game in doing so? It does sort of set Staal up as tyhe dick to the Pens' fans, if not the other players, which could cause some issues in his reception this coming year and maybe in the lockerroom. The Pens are not a clown organization, they must have had some game plan where it benefits them to release this. Maybe setting us up for a deal and making us happy for it when it comes?
Very possible. People that way wouldn't be shocking to hear his name at the draft if traded

Old
06-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
How many $6 million+ third line centers do you know? At that point we would HAVE to move him to the top 6 and staal isn't the greatest winger he's pretty much a Taylor made center.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:16 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
I mentioned this yesterday and IMO this is the only silver lining of this whole rumor nonsense. It may be the TERM and not the money he doesn't accept, but being that he's getting married he's not dealing with it until Monday maybe. He may feel with the new CBA and other factors that he doesn't want a long term deal right now, but MIGHT want to give it a couple more goes with the Pens. Maybe a 2-3 year deal. Especially if age of FA gets toyed with in new CBA.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Blitzburgh87*

By the way what channels is the draft gonna be on?

Old
06-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Dupree13

Do some of you not see what's going on here? Staal has made it known through the media that he wants to be in Carolina. This has scared off potential suitors and destroyed his trade value. Even Carolina is lowballing because they are confident of landing Staal next year.

He's put Shero in a **** situation.

That's what annoys me, not the mere fact of him leaving.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:18 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh87 View Post
by the way what channels is the draft gonna be on?
nbc.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:18 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
considering he didn't pull any ****, you absolutely can. yes. Walking for nothing because he's a 23 year old that can make millions more dollars than we can offer while living out his childhood dreams is not "pulling ****" as far as I'm concerned. If Staal gets traded to Carolina I will be freaking ashamed to be a yinzer if he ever gets booed here.
History suggests it'll be ugly. I don't know how anyone can think otherwise.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterSurge View Post
nbc.
Thank you sir.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:19 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Do some of you not see what's going on here? Staal has made it known through the media that he wants to be in Carolina. This has scared off potential suitors and destroyed his trade value. Even Carolina is lowballing because they are confident of landing Staal next year.

Yeah.. there is no limit to how wrong you are. That is not what happened at all. Shero wouldn't have come out w/ the news. Plus there is a thing called tampering.

This just isn't possible. Teams will want him. GMs will believe they can sign him. Look what happened w/ Hamhuis. Even when he SAID he was going to Vancouver, Shero made a play to get him in Pittsburgh.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:20 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Certified Assassin View Post
This is just asinine.

Hockey is a sport, a business. Moves have to be made. I, for one, did not think the Pens would be able to keep Geno, Crosby and Staal together for their entire careers. I knew this. You can not blame Staal for wanting a bigger role in the league, or more money for that matter.
Asinine? Alright buddy. He's already established he's on his way out & could care less if the Pens get anything out of it. Why would we just walk him down the isle? How come it's unfair for the Pens to play the it's just business card but Staal can?

He already doesn't want to be here why not make life miserable for him.

Old
Wes C Addle
Bernard Shakey

If Staal wants to play somewhere where he will be utilized consistently as a top 6 center and get primo PP time, I can't fault him for that. He's earned the right to try that route. He's been a very good player for us and I don't begrudge him in the least.

The part that irks me the most about this is the rumours that Carolina is the only destination that Staal will consider signing an extension with. I don't know where the rumours were sourced from, Staals camp or just pure speculation, but that is now the perception for most it seems. True or not, perception is reality, and I believe that is going to really make it difficult to get a fair return for him if we do indeed explore trading him.

Not saying that this doesn't happen in sports or business, or that it is fair or not, just unfortunate that this perception could really limit their options. Also, if Staal truly is set on playing for the Canes, (which we don't know for sure) I think it is natural to be concerned about what effect that might have on him during the 12-13 season. Consumate professional or not, it could certainly be a distraction that might lead to some sub par play and negative outcomes.

Old
zero8771

Quote:
Wait.. please tell me how anything was a slap in the face? We only heard this because Pittsburgh put it out there, right? That was the tweet from this morning.

It's not like Staal is getting married with a Canes jersey on.
The penguins camp most certainly has not been the one to talk about his desire to go to Carolina

Old
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

I almost feel sick about the entire Staal thing at this point. I feel that the Penguins organization leaked that he turned down the massive deal, for the reason that they could look better to the fans after trading him. Meanwhile by leaking this they severely hurt his trade value around the league. Beyond ridiculous to me.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:21 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I leave the internets for one day and I miss everything. Staal rejected a ten year deal worth 60 million dollars? Pretty crazy.

Even more astounding to me is that Shero even offered it. Bromance. Whatever happened to the whole "I don't do mega-term deals" thing?

Oh well. Would have liked to have him back at something relatively reasonable. But I'm actually sort of glad he rejected this deal. First because he obviously doesn't want to be here and second because that term and money is pretty ridiculous, IMO. At least for a Jordan Staal. Particularly with CBA uncertainly on the horizon.

Best of luck to him wherever he might land.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:

That's what annoys me, not the mere fact of him leaving.
I think you are overstating how much of this he has had any say in. Has he said anything actually? He turned down the offer and he has probably said he would enjoy playing with Eric. He never said he wouldn't sign anywhere else. He never said he wouldn't sign with us.

Old
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
The issue is not with him wanting to leave, the issue is him sabotaging his own trade value. Clearly, making his Carolina preference public has destroyed the trade market for him, leaving Shero in a total lurch.
I keep seeing this referenced but have yet to see it ... when/where is Jordan Staal quoted as saying that? Not trying to be a ******, I'd just like to see the quote or hear the soundbite ... anyone have a link?

Old
06-22-2012, 02:22 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
I keep seeing this referenced but have yet to see it ... when/where is Jordan Staal quoted as saying that? Not trying to be a ******, I'd just like to see the quote or hear the soundbite ... anyone have a link?
it doesn't exist.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:22 PM
MonsterSurge

Guys, stop fighting. We're all on the same side here. No one is right or wrong. Everything is just opinion-based right now.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Asinine? Alright buddy. He's already established he's on his way out & could care less if the Pens get anything out of it. Why would we just walk him down the isle? How come it's unfair for the Pens to play the it's just business card but Staal can?

He already doesn't want to be here why not make life miserable for him.
show me one thing that Staal has said or done wrong. just one quote. please.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Yeah.. there is no limit to how wrong you are. That is not what happened at all. Shero wouldn't have come out w/ the news. Plus there is a thing called tampering.

This just isn't possible. Teams will want him. GMs will believe they can sign him. Look what happened w/ Hamhuis. Even when he SAID he was going to Vancouver, Shero made a play to get him in Pittsburgh.
As of now it sure looks like I'm dead right.

Closed Thread