HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs ‘would consider’ moving No. 5 draft pick

Old
06-22-2012, 10:13 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Gilmour View Post
Sounds like there is a team or 2 that is stirring the pot to get Grigorenko as the steal of the draft. This is where a team that has done their homework could sweep in and take Grigorenko right out from underneath of thsoe teams.

The media these days will say anything just to get viewers and readers. Repeating the same thing over and over again in different words doesn't make it new. The analogy, a pile of crap is still a pile of crap no matter how much Axe you spray on it, I think applies here.
Some article this morning quote a GM IIRC stating there is misinformation being propagated at the draft.

Desjardins estimates that about 40% of the game is captured by Corsi analysis.

Babs - short for Barbara
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:24 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
And there's an article out there, might be on espn, clarifying that it was investigated and nothing uncovered.

Oh I know, it's just that with so many question marks and uncertainty (age?, work ethic, compete level, etc) at this stage in the game do we take that chance with our 5th overall when there are many excellent players that will also be available at our pick without these concerns?

Quote:
The real issue with Mikhail is his ability to be an impact player. He did prove he has skill, but it takes much more than that to be a star. Work ethic and guts are just a few of the necessary ingredients and it’s fair to say that Grigorenko isn’t exactly known for these traits.

He didn’t put his team on his back - neither at the World Juniors nor in the QMJHL playoffs. Certainly, he got injured during the WJC but not seriously enough, despite what it looked like. His coach, Valery Bragin, was fully aware of Grigorenko’s condition and was not pleased when Mikhail asked not to be played. Bragin, who won a gold and two silver medals at the three World Juniors he was a part of, cherishes grit in hockey and, hey, don’t we all? At the end of the day, this is what wins you Cups. It is guys with grit, skill and guts you want to spend your high draft pick on. Grigorenko had his chances to prove it this season and failed every time. It’s foolish to think GMs around the league haven’t noticed this.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Darkhorse1280

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post
Oh I know, it's just that with so many question marks and uncertainty (age?, work ethic, compete level, etc) at this stage in the game do we take that chance with our 5th overall when there are many excellent players that will also be available at our pick without these concerns?
That article concerns me tbh. If he doesn't have the ability to dig deep in the face of adversity, then it's doesn't really matter how much natural skill he has.

Look at a guy like Girgusons (sp)...he doesn't have the skill level of Grigorenko, but is a total gymrat, embraces physicality, will go through a brick wall for his team, and wanting to get better in all facets of the game is exactly the kind of player that the Leafs should be looking for in this draft.

Lord knows how many soft players that we already have on this team.

Darkhorse1280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:33 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluemachine View Post

Quote:
The real issue with Mikhail is his ability to be an impact player. He did prove he has skill, but it takes much more than that to be a star. Work ethic and guts are just a few of the necessary ingredients and it’s fair to say that Grigorenko isn’t exactly known for these traits.

He didn’t put his team on his back - neither at the World Juniors nor in the QMJHL playoffs. Certainly, he got injured during the WJC but not seriously enough, despite what it looked like. His coach, Valery Bragin, was fully aware of Grigorenko’s condition and was not pleased when Mikhail asked not to be played. Bragin, who won a gold and two silver medals at the three World Juniors he was a part of, cherishes grit in hockey and, hey, don’t we all? At the end of the day, this is what wins you Cups. It is guys with grit, skill and guts you want to spend your high draft pick on. Grigorenko had his chances to prove it this season and failed every time. It’s foolish to think GMs around the league haven’t noticed this.
Seriously, this is such a joke. If he wasn't Russian he'd be called a player who plays through pain, and sickness.

He had to take some time off after he came back from WJC because of the ankle injury, and once he was fully sick from mono his team went in the tank.

Why in the world would Russians come to play in the NHL when there is such bigotry?

http://www.rldhockey.net/2012/02/cou...s-yakupov.html

Quote:
Coincidentally, Mikhail Grigorenko was also injured going into the Top Prospects game, but participated anyway despite an ankle injury (also sustained during the WJC) that he said is only "80 percent healed." Grigorenko had made his return from the injury with the Remparts just over a week before the Top Prospects game.

Grigorenko could have used the short break to rest and complete his recovery, but he complied with the league's request for him to participate. Kelowna doctors cleared him to play, but knowing that he was still experiencing symptoms, limited his activities.

However, the situation was such that Remparts coach Patrick Roy was later fined by the QMJHL after he suggested the league commissioner rushed Grigorenko back from injury in order to sell tickets for the Top Prospects game.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:54 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Seriously, this is such a joke. If he wasn't Russian he'd be called a player who plays through pain, and sickness.

He had to take some time off after he came back from WJC because of the ankle injury, and once he was fully sick from mono his team went in the tank.

Why in the world would Russians come to play in the NHL when there is such bigotry?

His own coach questioned him because he asked not to play. That isn't a joke, reeks of dedication issues. If you want to risk our 5th overall on the next Filatov because of what Roy said be my guest. I couldn't care less if he's Russian or not.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:00 AM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhorse1280 View Post
That article concerns me tbh. If he doesn't have the ability to dig deep in the face of adversity, then it's doesn't really matter how much natural skill he has.

Look at a guy like Girgusons (sp)...he doesn't have the skill level of Grigorenko, but is a total gymrat, embraces physicality, will go through a brick wall for his team, and wanting to get better in all facets of the game is exactly the kind of player that the Leafs should be looking for in this draft.

Lord knows how many soft players that we already have on this team.

Yep, I'm surprised by the amount of people that just don't get it.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:43 AM
exporta

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson3133 View Post
"The more likely scenario, if the Leafs do not keep their top pick, is that they will slide either up or down in the first round."

What a gem of a statement.
I thought the same, sports journalism at its finest! Hahahaha.

exporta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
I thought the same, sports journalism at its finest! Hahahaha.
i think he meant as opposed to trading it all together, but I hear ya....

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:34 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Teams should be looking at the winners out there.

Lots of teams take part in the season, and competitions but most are failures.

Champions this year are the Swedes and Americans, the losers those other teams.

We should be looking to draft a winner, and teams that don't even make the playoffs are not a good place to look for winners.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:16 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:

I have no idea honestly if these supposed issues are actually a concern, but nobody is saying these things about Yakupov, so I have a hard time believing that it is only becaise he is Russian.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:18 PM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

Who's excited for the draft JUST so we can end all of these BS articles?

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote