HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Staal Wars - Episode VI: The Return Might Be Suspect (Turns down 10 yr, $60M deal)

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Certified Assassin
Souped up Wildcat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Asinine? Alright buddy. He's already established he's on his way out & could care less if the Pens get anything out of it. Why would we just walk him down the isle? How come it's unfair for the Pens to play the it's just business card but Staal can?

He already doesn't want to be here why not make life miserable for him.
"Business" is not sitting him in the press box the entire year. You either trade him for assets, or ride out the contract and wish him well. Staal is not obligated to make sure the Pens get a superb return for him...

Old
06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
I keep seeing this referenced but have yet to see it ... when/where is Jordan Staal quoted as saying that? Not trying to be a ******, I'd just like to see the quote or hear the soundbite ... anyone have a link?
He is referring to the Rossi tweet about Carolina pulling their offer of the 8th overall as they feel that Staal will be there eventually, which, well hell, is Rossi.

That is the only reference that I have seen to even infer that Staal has a preference.

Old
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
History suggests it'll be ugly. I don't know how anyone can think otherwise.
booing Jagr was embarrassing. This will be worse. Jagr at least had some stupid quotes in there

Old
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupree13 View Post
Can you even bring Staal back after he pulled this ****?
No, but I would still like to know when did Ray Shero know that Jordan Staal was looking elsewhere because that determines who is the bad guy in all this. Keep in mind that Ryan Malone situation turned out very much like this with Shero not recognizing or accepting early enough of what Ryan Malone's true intentions really were.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

This is turning into a Terrel Owens type deal except Staal is much younger & people are like "You can't be mad at him!!!" Please, we have every right to be offended that a player is willing to hurt the organization as long he gets what he wants. Heatley, Pronger, Jagr all did it & got vilified for it.

Old
regard

This whole situation has taken on a life of its own in the minds of people here. Its really something to see watching speculation mutate into epic tale of betrayal.

Old
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
No way... if Staal leaves, standing ovation. His work in the 2009 Cup Finals was amazing.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

I believe the draft coverage tonight is NBC Sports Network... NOT NBC. Just to clarify.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:26 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
This whole situation has taken on a life of its own in the minds of people here. Its really something to see watching speculation mutate into epic tale of betrayal.
That's why you have a very active debate going on. I'd say 70% of people wouldn't say it's a betrayal, but the 30% are fully on the other side.

The beauty of a message board!

Old
06-22-2012, 01:27 PM
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
I keep seeing this referenced but have yet to see it ... when/where is Jordan Staal quoted as saying that? Not trying to be a ******, I'd just like to see the quote or hear the soundbite ... anyone have a link?
I will admit that I'm assuming that part, but somebody leaked that info to Mckenzie, Yohe and maybe others. Who do you think leaked it and why? Had to be Staal's camp trying to engineer a move to Carolina. If you have another plausible theory I'm all ears.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:27 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
show me one thing that Staal has said or done wrong. just one quote. please.
How about the one about wanting to sign in Carolina? Kind of screwed us with that. You think Toronto is going to offer peanuts for a guy who is just riding out a year until he can go where he wants?

Old
06-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Dick Sledge
The Tactleneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I believe the draft coverage tonight is NBC Sports Network... NOT NBC. Just to clarify.
Your beliefs are correct and verified.

Old
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
Even more astounding to me is that Shero even offered it. Bromance. Whatever happened to the whole "I don't do mega-term deals" thing?
this for me is a pretty noteworthy development in and of itself. i was thinking that Shero was turning into Lou-lite with his whole "i won't do things a certain way."

Old
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
booing Jagr was embarrassing. This will be worse. Jagr at least had some stupid quotes in there
Yeah, I never did it and always thought that it was kind of silly. However, unlike the 'Crosby sucks!' chants in Philly, which always spurred Crosby on to torch the Flyers, I do have to admit that the booing of Jagr more often than not worked. For whatever reasons, it made him curl up into a ball and cry and he rarely had good games against the Pens. So maybe not that stupid on that level. Staal does not seem to be the drama queen Jagr is so I doubt a boo or two will effect him at all.

Old
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
it doesn't exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
He is referring to the Rossi tweet about Carolina pulling their offer of the 8th overall as they feel that Staal will be there eventually, which, well hell, is Rossi.

That is the only reference that I have seen to even infer that Staal has a preference.
So then it all media speculation and hyperbole? Gotcha ... thanks guys

Old

Jordan Staal will have to pull some Lebron-esque **** for me to boo him. As far as I'm concerned, he's a Penguin no matter what jersey he has on. Unless it's Philly, but that's a given.

I'll be rooting for the Penguins, then the Jackets, then Jordan Staal's team. Unless it's Philly.

Old
mpp9

The fact the Pens let all this go public, Staal is moved unless Shero doesn't get what he wants.

I'm not so sure getting a top ten pick+top 6 forward+ isn't worth losing a year of Staal. Especially if Shero is talking about reshaping the blue line and using our depth there to acquire other significant pieces.

If we land a big fish top pairing D-man. I'd like to see us pick up a guy like Palmieri+ for one of our top 4.

Old
Dupree13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post

You've missed a bunch then because it's popped up several places.

Old
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
So its what versus used to be?

Old
06-22-2012, 01:29 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
No way... if Staal leaves, standing ovation. His work in the 2009 Cup Finals was amazing.
...and Marian Hossa's work the year before was equally if not more impressive.

We all know about the vast majority of fans perception towards him.

I can't blame people for being miffed. If everything we've heard is accurate... Shero offered him a much, much, much more than fair deal. He doesn't want to play for the Penguins. That'll ruffle feathers.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:29 PM
MonsterSurge

Quote:

That's what I meant by NBC. Sorry for the confusion.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Agree 100% on both counts. All we know FOR SURE, as reported by RELIABLE sources (and Rossi is NOT one of them so please don't quote anything he claims unless other reporters are as well)... is that Staal turned down a 10 year offer around $6M per. And that the Trib people CLAIM it was the Pens who leaked that story.

Not ONE person from the Penguins organization has made an official statement about any of this, nor as ONE person from Carolina made an official statement about their interest in Staal, their draft pick, etc.

WE ARE SPECULATING as Cole said. That means we could be way off the mark, but it's OK to talk about because we all care what happens next and we're trying to deduce from partial information, a whole story.

Everyone just stick to the topic and do not make it pesonal towards other posters (or Staal if you can manage a little perspective).

Old
06-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Yep.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

He's not signing a deal at this time is seriously being over looked. A full season is in front of them.

If Carolina doesn't want to pony up, then they can sour away through what's another losing season with or without, Jordan.

Old
06-22-2012, 01:32 PM
Certified Assassin
Souped up Wildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzburgh87 View Post
Indeed.

Closed Thread