HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

PHI/CBJ: Bobrovsky Traded for 3 Picks

Old
06-22-2012, 01:23 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Oranje View Post
What are the chances of Subban being available at 45?
I wouldn't be surprised if the Devils took him in the 1st round, so very, very slim.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
What's a Zharkov?
Zharkov?

Isn't he the bad guy in Flash Gordon?

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Big Russian kid (6'3, 205 pounds) who scored 36 points in 50 games (23 of the points were goals). Excellent skater and not afraid to work the dirty areas. Left Russian and played in the USHL before joining the Bulls. Plays on an Olympic sized ice surface in Belleville, so you know he can really move. Needs a little work defensively, but is expected to play on one of the top two lines in Belleville this up coming year, so his numbers should really improve.

I've watched a lot of video on Zharkov and really like his game. The fact that he played on the third and fourth lines in Belleville and put up as good of numbers as he has is a testament to the talent he has. Burnett also wanted to bring him along a bit slower simply because Zharkov couldn't speak English so well and he wanted him to get used to the environment around him. If the team gives him two years in the OHL and a year in the AHL, he should be ready to play in the NHL. Upside is a second line winger with 30 to 35 goal capability. The "downside" is that Zharkov is a 3rd line winger with 15 to 20 goal capability.
Ahh thank you for the info. Sounds promising. All the reports I saw just basically gave me a vague description of the same old same old. Prolific scorer if he puts it all together blah blah blah.

Always is nice to get a detailed report on him. Thanks

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Hey guys CBJ fan in piece. I have a few questions.

1. Do you think Bob is NHL starter ready?
2. Whats some strengths/weaknesses in his game?
3. He doesn't speak any english, right?

Thanks, good luck at the draft today guys.
1. I think he's starter ready, might take a season of some struggles as the starter but I think he'll be good.
2. I think one of his biggest weaknesses was going down to quickly, was abused up high sometimes. I'd say a strength of his is lateral movement, he's pretty good moving side to side.
3. He's been learning English while playing here IIRC but I can't recall him ever speaking much.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Big Russian kid (6'3, 205 pounds) who scored 36 points in 50 games (23 of the points were goals). Excellent skater and not afraid to work the dirty areas. Left Russian and played in the USHL before joining the Bulls. Plays on an Olympic sized ice surface in Belleville, so you know he can really move. Needs a little work defensively, but is expected to play on one of the top two lines in Belleville this up coming year, so his numbers should really improve.

I've watched a lot of video on Zharkov and really like his game. The fact that he played on the third and fourth lines in Belleville and put up as good of numbers as he has is a testament to the talent he has. Burnett also wanted to bring him along a bit slower simply because Zharkov couldn't speak English so well and he wanted him to get used to the environment around him. If the team gives him two years in the OHL and a year in the AHL, he should be ready to play in the NHL. Upside is a second line winger with 30 to 35 goal capability. The "downside" is that Zharkov is a 3rd line winger with 15 to 20 goal capability.
So would you say Zherdev with a little bit of a Danny Markov attitude?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
I will be pretty shocked if they draft a goalie with the 1st 2 picks provided they keep them.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:28 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I will be pretty shocked if they draft a goalie with the 1st 2 picks provided they keep them.
Yeah. I have no problem with them drafting a goalie later on in the draft, but they have at least one, maybe two depending on your thoughts on Heeter, in the hopper and Bryz here for a thousand years. Maybe in two-three years if there's a goalie with high upside I'd be ok with them using a 1-3 round pick on a goalie, but until them I think it is a waste of a pick. Maybe take a flyer on a high upside guy in the third round if he falls, but first two rounds should be used on skaters IMO for the next couple years.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:30 PM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Holmgren is super high on hoivinen or however you spell it, the only way I see it is later in the 5-7 range and he wil be 18

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:33 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:

1) He's already done it once, it's time to take that plunge and get regular work which he wasn't going to see here.

2) He's very quick/athletic. His puck handling is much improved, but still not strong.

3) He didn't at first - now he knows enough to be dangerous.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:34 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I've loved Bob since day 1, but the return is pretty good. I for one really hope that we keep the picks. As been talked about, this draft may not be the best ever, but it is fairly deep till 50ish.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:37 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:

1. For a team like Columbus yes. I think he will have a solid season for the Jackets.
2. Strengths: Very Athletic, covers the lowers half of the net well. Moves laterally well.
Weaknesses: Gets beat high a lot. Not great with the puck. Plays "small" with his upper body leaving a lot of room to shoot. Also made some comments 2 years ago about not being mentally ready for playoffs.
3. Some!

DrHamburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:39 PM
DrHamburg

Oh yeah, great trade by Homer in the sense that the value he got was more than Bob was worth for how he played this season. But Bob has a chance to be a good starting goalie in the league so hard to say the Jackets got ripped off too bad but who were they bidding against? Also frees up cap room if Homer is smart and gets a backup for like 650k or w/e

DrHamburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Devastate

Well this depresses the hell out of me I'm a huge Bob fan. At least the return was decent.

Columbus is my new second team!

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
I like Bob, but this is a great trade.

06-22-2012, 02:30 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Good for bob.

Gets him a chance to play.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown
How bad does your goaltending situation have to be for you to think “You know, I should call up the Flyers for help”.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:40 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:

1.) Bob is capable of starting. He needs work to improve, but he'll be a quality NHL starter in a few years imo.
2.) Weaknesses: As stated above, he needs to keep glove up and avoid going down too fast. Less than ideal size. Strengths: tremendous athletic ability and exception work ethic... very high compete level. Capable of making the exception save.
3.) His English is better, but he needs to keep working at it. One of the biggest failings has been for him to not speak it fluently.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:51 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Scott Hartnell @Hartsy19

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Bob is gone. Great goalie and even better guy. Gonna have a great season and career in CBJ

First Flyer to address the trade (via twitter at least). He's right too, I think Columbus is setting up very nicely. Bob should flourish there.

Not solely because of this, but I think Hartsy should be the next team captain. Don't rush Giroux, Kimmo only has a year left (avoid the revolving door of Flyers captains), and Briere looks better with an "A". Make it happen Homer.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:16 PM
flyersfan420

sad to see him go... i was a big bob supporter... but this makes sense... got a good return and he didnt have a chance to be a starter here.. GOOD LUCK in CLB BOB!!!

flyersfan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:22 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I like Bob, but this is a great trade.
My thoughts exactly. SOlid move bu Homer. Wasted a 2nd on Kubina, but grabbed one back here.

Should eb teh start of quite a few moves.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Mgkibbles

I adore Bob, and I still think he should be the Flyers starting goalie, but this is great value.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
My thoughts exactly. SOlid move bu Homer. Wasted a 2nd on Kubina, but grabbed one back here.

Should eb teh start of quite a few moves.
Who cares. Kubina is leaving and we got it back. Sometimes picks aren't really all that valuable. Sometimes you have to gamble.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:32 PM
mypunkrock

Bobrovsky is officially off the case

mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:42 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
So would you say Zherdev with a little bit of a Danny Markov attitude?
No. People can hate Zherdev all they want, but he had a skill set that wasn't matched by too many players. Unfortunately, he wasn't the most coachable of players.

If you want a good player to compare Zharkov to, I'd say that Taylor Pyatt would be a good example. The only difference is that Zharkov is a much better skater and for that reason, he might end up being a better pro as a result.

Another thing that I like about Zharkov is that he has an NHL ready shot. It's hard, accurate and it's quick. Zharkov is also a very coachable forward and he wants to be an NHL player and will do what ever it takes to be one. I think that those attributes are things that will carry Zharkov very far.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:47 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
No. People can hate Zherdev all they want, but he had a skill set that wasn't matched by too many players. Unfortunately, he wasn't the most coachable of players.

If you want a good player to compare Zharkov to, I'd say that Taylor Pyatt would be a good example. The only difference is that Zharkov is a much better skater and for that reason, he might end up being a better pro as a result.

Another thing that I like about Zharkov is that he has an NHL ready shot. It's hard, accurate and it's quick. Zharkov is also a very coachable forward and he wants to be an NHL player and will do what ever it takes to be one. I think that those attributes are things that will carry Zharkov very far.
I was actually just being a moron, pay me no mind haha. Zherdev + Markov = Zharkov.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote