HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

PHI/CBJ: Bobrovsky Traded for 3 Picks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2012, 01:23 PM
  #201
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Oranje View Post
What are the chances of Subban being available at 45?
I wouldn't be surprised if the Devils took him in the 1st round, so very, very slim.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
  #202
Jumping
Registered User
 
Jumping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Atlanta Ga
Country: United States
Posts: 1,331
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
What's a Zharkov?
Zharkov?

Isn't he the bad guy in Flash Gordon?

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
  #203
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,861
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Big Russian kid (6'3, 205 pounds) who scored 36 points in 50 games (23 of the points were goals). Excellent skater and not afraid to work the dirty areas. Left Russian and played in the USHL before joining the Bulls. Plays on an Olympic sized ice surface in Belleville, so you know he can really move. Needs a little work defensively, but is expected to play on one of the top two lines in Belleville this up coming year, so his numbers should really improve.

I've watched a lot of video on Zharkov and really like his game. The fact that he played on the third and fourth lines in Belleville and put up as good of numbers as he has is a testament to the talent he has. Burnett also wanted to bring him along a bit slower simply because Zharkov couldn't speak English so well and he wanted him to get used to the environment around him. If the team gives him two years in the OHL and a year in the AHL, he should be ready to play in the NHL. Upside is a second line winger with 30 to 35 goal capability. The "downside" is that Zharkov is a 3rd line winger with 15 to 20 goal capability.
Ahh thank you for the info. Sounds promising. All the reports I saw just basically gave me a vague description of the same old same old. Prolific scorer if he puts it all together blah blah blah.

Always is nice to get a detailed report on him. Thanks

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
  #204
PhilaFlyers
Registered User
 
PhilaFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Hey guys CBJ fan in piece. I have a few questions.

1. Do you think Bob is NHL starter ready?
2. Whats some strengths/weaknesses in his game?
3. He doesn't speak any english, right?

Thanks, good luck at the draft today guys.
1. I think he's starter ready, might take a season of some struggles as the starter but I think he'll be good.
2. I think one of his biggest weaknesses was going down to quickly, was abused up high sometimes. I'd say a strength of his is lateral movement, he's pretty good moving side to side.
3. He's been learning English while playing here IIRC but I can't recall him ever speaking much.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
  #205
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Big Russian kid (6'3, 205 pounds) who scored 36 points in 50 games (23 of the points were goals). Excellent skater and not afraid to work the dirty areas. Left Russian and played in the USHL before joining the Bulls. Plays on an Olympic sized ice surface in Belleville, so you know he can really move. Needs a little work defensively, but is expected to play on one of the top two lines in Belleville this up coming year, so his numbers should really improve.

I've watched a lot of video on Zharkov and really like his game. The fact that he played on the third and fourth lines in Belleville and put up as good of numbers as he has is a testament to the talent he has. Burnett also wanted to bring him along a bit slower simply because Zharkov couldn't speak English so well and he wanted him to get used to the environment around him. If the team gives him two years in the OHL and a year in the AHL, he should be ready to play in the NHL. Upside is a second line winger with 30 to 35 goal capability. The "downside" is that Zharkov is a 3rd line winger with 15 to 20 goal capability.
So would you say Zherdev with a little bit of a Danny Markov attitude?

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
  #206
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,702
vCash: 50
I will be pretty shocked if they draft a goalie with the 1st 2 picks provided they keep them.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:28 PM
  #207
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,275
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I will be pretty shocked if they draft a goalie with the 1st 2 picks provided they keep them.
Yeah. I have no problem with them drafting a goalie later on in the draft, but they have at least one, maybe two depending on your thoughts on Heeter, in the hopper and Bryz here for a thousand years. Maybe in two-three years if there's a goalie with high upside I'd be ok with them using a 1-3 round pick on a goalie, but until them I think it is a waste of a pick. Maybe take a flyer on a high upside guy in the third round if he falls, but first two rounds should be used on skaters IMO for the next couple years.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:30 PM
  #208
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28
 
Giroux 4 MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
Holmgren is super high on hoivinen or however you spell it, the only way I see it is later in the 5-7 range and he wil be 18

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:33 PM
  #209
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder
 
NitHeel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Hey guys CBJ fan in piece. I have a few questions.

1. Do you think Bob is NHL starter ready?
2. Whats some strengths/weaknesses in his game?
3. He doesn't speak any english, right?

Thanks, good luck at the draft today guys.
1) He's already done it once, it's time to take that plunge and get regular work which he wasn't going to see here.

2) He's very quick/athletic. His puck handling is much improved, but still not strong.

3) He didn't at first - now he knows enough to be dangerous.

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:34 PM
  #210
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
jd2210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
I've loved Bob since day 1, but the return is pretty good. I for one really hope that we keep the picks. As been talked about, this draft may not be the best ever, but it is fairly deep till 50ish.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:37 PM
  #211
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Hey guys CBJ fan in piece. I have a few questions.

1. Do you think Bob is NHL starter ready?
2. Whats some strengths/weaknesses in his game?
3. He doesn't speak any english, right?

Thanks, good luck at the draft today guys.
1. For a team like Columbus yes. I think he will have a solid season for the Jackets.
2. Strengths: Very Athletic, covers the lowers half of the net well. Moves laterally well.
Weaknesses: Gets beat high a lot. Not great with the puck. Plays "small" with his upper body leaving a lot of room to shoot. Also made some comments 2 years ago about not being mentally ready for playoffs.
3. Some!

DrHamburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:39 PM
  #212
DrHamburg
Registered User
 
DrHamburg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
Oh yeah, great trade by Homer in the sense that the value he got was more than Bob was worth for how he played this season. But Bob has a chance to be a good starting goalie in the league so hard to say the Jackets got ripped off too bad but who were they bidding against? Also frees up cap room if Homer is smart and gets a backup for like 650k or w/e

DrHamburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:41 PM
  #213
Devastate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Well this depresses the hell out of me I'm a huge Bob fan. At least the return was decent.

Columbus is my new second team!

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
  #214
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,956
vCash: 955
I like Bob, but this is a great trade.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:30 PM
  #215
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,468
vCash: 500
Good for bob.

Gets him a chance to play.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:39 PM
  #216
Go For It
Registered User
 
Go For It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Collegeville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,016
vCash: 50
Quote:
Down Goes Brown ‏@DownGoesBrown
How bad does your goaltending situation have to be for you to think “You know, I should call up the Flyers for help”.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:40 PM
  #217
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
Hey guys CBJ fan in piece. I have a few questions.

1. Do you think Bob is NHL starter ready?
2. Whats some strengths/weaknesses in his game?
3. He doesn't speak any english, right?

Thanks, good luck at the draft today guys.
1.) Bob is capable of starting. He needs work to improve, but he'll be a quality NHL starter in a few years imo.
2.) Weaknesses: As stated above, he needs to keep glove up and avoid going down too fast. Less than ideal size. Strengths: tremendous athletic ability and exception work ethic... very high compete level. Capable of making the exception save.
3.) His English is better, but he needs to keep working at it. One of the biggest failings has been for him to not speak it fluently.

Broad Street Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:51 PM
  #218
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER
 
sobrien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: South Jersey/Memphis
Country: United States
Posts: 6,538
vCash: 500
Scott Hartnell @Hartsy19

Quote:
Sorry to hear that Bob is gone. Great goalie and even better guy. Gonna have a great season and career in CBJ

First Flyer to address the trade (via twitter at least). He's right too, I think Columbus is setting up very nicely. Bob should flourish there.

Not solely because of this, but I think Hartsy should be the next team captain. Don't rush Giroux, Kimmo only has a year left (avoid the revolving door of Flyers captains), and Briere looks better with an "A". Make it happen Homer.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:16 PM
  #219
flyersfan420
Registered User
 
flyersfan420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,257
vCash: 500
sad to see him go... i was a big bob supporter... but this makes sense... got a good return and he didnt have a chance to be a starter here.. GOOD LUCK in CLB BOB!!!

flyersfan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:22 PM
  #220
mm6492
Registered User
 
mm6492's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,518
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I like Bob, but this is a great trade.
My thoughts exactly. SOlid move bu Homer. Wasted a 2nd on Kubina, but grabbed one back here.

Should eb teh start of quite a few moves.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:24 PM
  #221
Mgkibbles
Registered User
 
Mgkibbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Gilbertsville, Pa
Posts: 2,021
vCash: 500
I adore Bob, and I still think he should be the Flyers starting goalie, but this is great value.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:29 PM
  #222
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 12,468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
My thoughts exactly. SOlid move bu Homer. Wasted a 2nd on Kubina, but grabbed one back here.

Should eb teh start of quite a few moves.
Who cares. Kubina is leaving and we got it back. Sometimes picks aren't really all that valuable. Sometimes you have to gamble.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:32 PM
  #223
mypunkrock
Registered User
 
mypunkrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Downtown Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,413
vCash: 500
Bobrovsky is officially off the case


mypunkrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:42 PM
  #224
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
So would you say Zherdev with a little bit of a Danny Markov attitude?
No. People can hate Zherdev all they want, but he had a skill set that wasn't matched by too many players. Unfortunately, he wasn't the most coachable of players.

If you want a good player to compare Zharkov to, I'd say that Taylor Pyatt would be a good example. The only difference is that Zharkov is a much better skater and for that reason, he might end up being a better pro as a result.

Another thing that I like about Zharkov is that he has an NHL ready shot. It's hard, accurate and it's quick. Zharkov is also a very coachable forward and he wants to be an NHL player and will do what ever it takes to be one. I think that those attributes are things that will carry Zharkov very far.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:47 PM
  #225
Protest
C`est La Vie
 
Protest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Deptford, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 4,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
No. People can hate Zherdev all they want, but he had a skill set that wasn't matched by too many players. Unfortunately, he wasn't the most coachable of players.

If you want a good player to compare Zharkov to, I'd say that Taylor Pyatt would be a good example. The only difference is that Zharkov is a much better skater and for that reason, he might end up being a better pro as a result.

Another thing that I like about Zharkov is that he has an NHL ready shot. It's hard, accurate and it's quick. Zharkov is also a very coachable forward and he wants to be an NHL player and will do what ever it takes to be one. I think that those attributes are things that will carry Zharkov very far.
I was actually just being a moron, pay me no mind haha. Zherdev + Markov = Zharkov.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.