HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Sauer out with concussion (1/18: Still "month-to-month")

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 10:23 AM
jw2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antithesis View Post
You think maybe with a concussion this serious he might just want to consider retiring and living a normal life... the contract he had might do the trick and your health is worth more than a hockey career...

Either way its great that he is feeling better.
He really should call it a career. He has a history of acting like a deer in headlights in spots like that. Hence the long injury history.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:27 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw2 View Post
He really should call it a career. He has a history of acting like a deer in headlights in spots like that. Hence the long injury history.
What are you talking about? He sold out to keep the puck in. I actually thought it was a very good read on that play. Obviously it went horribly wrong - but not due to the hit, rather due to the fact that his helmet came off and he hit the dasher.

If his health is at risk, he should of course call it a career, but if he can fully recover, he absolutely should come back - and learn to secure his damn helmet better.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:31 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Really?

Old
06-22-2012, 12:35 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
What are you talking about? He sold out to keep the puck in. I actually thought it was a very good read on that play. Obviously it went horribly wrong - but not due to the hit, rather due to the fact that his helmet came off and he hit the dasher.

If his health is at risk, he should of course call it a career, but if he can fully recover, he absolutely should come back - and learn to secure his damn helmet better.
first off: everybody's health is at risk playing this game. he just has a higher risk of suffering another concussion if he can afford the risk, i'm sure we will see him back on the ice.

second: are you people seriously that dumb with the helmet? helmet straps come off or break. it has absolutely nothing to do with how he had it fastened. that's completely ignorant. guy's helmets come off all the time. mikey was unfortunate. the hit caused the helmet to come off (he probably would've been concussed-- though less time-- even with the helmet).

the straps aren't foolproof. you get hit by a wall there's a chance it breaks, a chance it unsnaps, and a chance it flies off. i could've sworn (though this may have been a lundqvist strap around the time) that somebody said the strap broke on his helmet at some point in that game. if anything they should be addressing the need for stronger straps-- though then you risk some other injury i'm sure.

Old
06-22-2012, 12:41 PM
broadwayblue

Yeah, none of us are in a position to say whether he should retire or continue his NHL career. First of all it's a moot point until he's at 100%. At that point the medical experts will weigh in with their counsel. Recent evidence appears to show that people who wait until 100% healthy before returning may not be in any greater danger of suffering additional concussions. In that case he could very well be back next season.

Old
06-22-2012, 02:06 PM
redbranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
second: are you people seriously that dumb with the helmet? helmet straps come off or break. it has absolutely nothing to do with how he had it fastened. that's completely ignorant. guy's helmets come off all the time. mikey was unfortunate. the hit caused the helmet to come off (he probably would've been concussed-- though less time-- even with the helmet).

the straps aren't foolproof. you get hit by a wall there's a chance it breaks, a chance it unsnaps, and a chance it flies off. i could've sworn (though this may have been a lundqvist strap around the time) that somebody said the strap broke on his helmet at some point in that game. if anything they should be addressing the need for stronger straps-- though then you risk some other injury i'm sure.
that strap looked pretty loose to me when I go back and look at the clips. Kinda hard to tell for sure, but I see plenty of players with their straps waaay too long. The helmet has no problem flying off when you wear it like that

Old
06-22-2012, 02:09 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
that strap looked pretty loose to me when I go back and look at the clips. Kinda hard to tell for sure, but I see plenty of players with their straps waaay too long. The helmet has no problem flying off when you wear it like that
Great example is Bertuzzi. No way this is safe.

06-22-2012, 02:10 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
This. It's something I had noticed about Sauer long before the hit.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:12 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

Quote:
Yeah right...welcomer to fantasyland.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:33 AM
Leetch3

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Sather re Sauer: "He feels a little bit better...he's making progress...coming along slowly."

Expand Reply
Retweet

Favorite

Old
06-23-2012, 12:04 PM
Vitto79

[QUOTE=CM PUNK;51386747]Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Sather re Sauer: "He feels a little bit better...he's making progress...coming along slowly."

Expand Reply
Retweet

Well this is great. There is quite a few months till camp and then maybe a lockout. Do you think the Rangers are starting to think Sauer can make it back relatively soon? If so maybe just sign a vet like Sarich for some toughness.

by the way Carkner is a UFA on D and if Prust goes he could beat people up and buy time for McIlrath

McDonaugh ,Girardi
Staal, Sauer
Del Zotto, Erixon/vet UFA
Stralman if he wants to accept the RFA offer and not bolt overseas

Old
06-23-2012, 12:06 PM
broadwayblue

[QUOTE=Vitto79;51390509]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post

Expand Reply
Retweet

Well this is great. There is quite a few months till camp and then maybe a lockout. Do you think the Rangers are starting to think Sauer can make it back relatively soon? If so maybe just sign a vet like Sarich for some toughness.

by the way Carkner is a UFA on D and if Prust goes he could beat people up and buy time for McIlrath

McDonaugh ,Girardi
Staal, Sauer
Define soon? I still think it's way too early to tell if and when he could be back. For all we know he's completely healed in the next month or two and he's ready to go in camp...or he could have a setback and be out for much or all of next season...and beyond. The good news is that we're finally getting good news. That's a start.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:09 PM
Vitto79

[QUOTE=broadwayblue;51390691]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

Define soon? I still think it's way too early to tell if and when he could be back. For all we know he's completely healed in the next month or two and he's ready to go in camp...or he could have a setback and be out for much or all of next season...and beyond. The good news is that we're finally getting good news. That's a start.
meaning at some point next yr. Ideally even midway.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
broadwayblue

[QUOTE=Vitto79;51390931]
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post

meaning at some point next yr. Ideally even midway.
I think the chances are good he makes a return by mid-season. January is over 6 months from now. And that would be over a year since he sustained the concussion.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:00 PM
Janerixon

[QUOTE=broadwayblue;51390691]
Quote:

Before the playoffs started we read a report that Torts hadn't seen Mike in months, Mike couldn't watch TV or go to games because of bright lights which gave him headaches.

Now he is on a boat fishing, that is a huge step for someone who was shutdown for a concussion. He is also working out in Phoenix... will he back to start the season? Who knows, but if he is on a boat and working out, we have to think he will be skating when camp starts, maybe not with the team, but just the fact he is skating is good news.

IF everything goes well hoping he could get into a game by the end of the year if everything goes well. He is NOT going to be rushed or pushed into the lineup.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:12 PM
NewYorkRangers89*

If he does come back, i hope he is built like a machine and wrecks everything in his way, i missed Sauer alot in the playoffs.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

[QUOTE=Vitto79;51390509]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post

Expand Reply
Retweet

McDonaugh ,Girardi
Staal, Sauer
yeah, no thanks. i want nothing to do with that kid. he's a classless goon and not good enough of a hockey player to make up for that lack of class.
you guys wanna talk about locker room poison? can you really see anybody on this team getting along with him? he's a good fighter, but that's it. not worth a penny on this team.

possibly caused boogaard's career/season ending concussion going down dangerously after losing a fight in addition to the boyle incident.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:26 PM
Alphacat

[QUOTE=mooskating;51430963]
Quote:
yeah, no thanks. i want nothing to do with that kid. he's a classless goon and not good enough of a hockey player to make up for that lack of class.
you guys wanna talk about locker room poison? can you really see anybody on this team getting along with him? he's a good fighter, but that's it. not worth a penny on this team.

possibly caused boogaard's career/season ending concussion going down dangerously after losing a fight in addition to the boyle incident.
Completely agree. Especially after all of the trouble he caused in the playoffs, I am positive the Rangers brass would want to steer clear. Then again, Donald Brashear comes to mind

Old
06-27-2012, 06:25 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
That would be 21-year-old right-handed defenseman Justin Schultz. The coveted young blue-liner would provide a huge boost to their power-play and some insurance on the blue line should Michael Sauer's health not improve (Sauer, who has not played since suffering a concussion in December, is "doing much better," his agent Ben Hankinson said, although he characterized Sauer's recovery as a "slow process.")
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/stor...medium=twitter

Old
06-27-2012, 06:31 PM
The Lunatic Fridge

Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
Judging by the choice of words everyone is using about his condition i would have to guess his severe symptoms are fading or are already gone but he is still adjusting to everyday life and slowly pushing his body back to athletic shape, Which isn't a bad thing considering how he was a few months ago.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:50 PM
NYR82124
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, none of us are in a position to say whether he should retire or continue his NHL career. First of all it's a moot point until he's at 100%.
Exactly. We've seen too many times what can happen to a player if they come back too soon from a concussion (Crosby, Savard, even Sauer when he came back to practice too soon). He shouldn't endanger his health just to play hockey, but even if the risks aren't too significant, and he's at 100%, it's still not our decision.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:29 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I would not expect Sauer back before December.

Old
06-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Section32

It sucks that this may have been avoided, at least the severity of it, if his helmet was tighter.

There should be a team mandate that that the straps are tied properly- maybe for anyone who has under 3 years of NHL service...

I think many forget how solid this guy was...I would give him easily to January to stay away. If he can't at least start skating at that point than my guess is you'll never see him play again...

However, if they could bring him along slowly later in the year and have him ready for the playoffs as a 6-7 D-man, I would be thrilled.

However, as a Ranger fan, I've seen too many horrible career ending concussion to watch another one, especially with a young guy.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:14 PM
mcsauer2738

What made Sauer so valuable was his gritty dimension that we didnt have on the back on. You've got to wonder if he's still going to be the no one touches my goalie/if you do ill drop the gloves with you type.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:30 AM
ducky

Phoenix fan checking in...

Terrible that both Sauers had such severe concussion problems. His brother Kurt has not played in 4 years and is still struggling with normal activities.

Closed Thread