HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Waiting on Luongo

Old
06-22-2012, 04:52 AM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

vCash: 500
That's an interesting line of thought you got going there. I'm on some pretty good drugs, but I must say, I'm jonesing for whatever it is you're on.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

If I go back a couple months when this whole Luongo thing first started up, I will find many posts saying how much I don't want him as a Leaf, how much I don't like him, I even said I wouldn't cheer anymore if he put on the blue and white. Well this is my foot in mouth backtracking post.

I am starting to realize it isn't him I don't like, it is the fact he was a Canuck. The thought of him becoming a Leaf is actually exciting me. I never thought I would say this, but I hope we get him, I just hope we don't over pay. Since we have Burke, I doubt we will overpay.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
If I go back a couple months when this whole Luongo thing first started up, I will find many posts saying how much I don't want him as a Leaf, how much I don't like him, I even said I wouldn't cheer anymore if he put on the blue and white. Well this is my foot in mouth backtracking post.

I am starting to realize it isn't him I don't like, it is the fact he was a Canuck. The thought of him becoming a Leaf is actually exciting me. I never thought I would say this, but I hope we get him, I just hope we don't over pay. Since we have Burke, I doubt we will overpay.
I've always felt most peoples Luongo hate was based on the Canucks hate. I know I can't speak for everyone but its the same feeling I had at first as well

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:53 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
I've always felt most peoples Luongo hate was based on the Canucks hate. I know I can't speak for everyone but its the same feeling I had at first as well
My dislike is:
- The Contract
- The trade expectations of Canucks fans. IMO Gillis is far more desperate to move Luongo than Burke is to get Luongo. Burke can wait a year, and other options WILL become available. If Gillis waits a year, there will be FEWER options (Lou's value is only going down with time, and he's already very difficult to move), unless of course he decides to move Schneider because he figures there's not really any legitimate market for Luongo

Luongo himself I would love to have as a Leaf. His contract just kills it for me, his contract and the expectation that we give up something like the 5th overall or Gardiner. If he had like 2-4 years left on his deal, I would be far more interested.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:05 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
My dislike is:
- The Contract
- The trade expectations of Canucks fans. IMO Gillis is far more desperate to move Luongo than Burke is to get Luongo. Burke can wait a year, and other options WILL become available. If Gillis waits a year, there will be FEWER options (Lou's value is only going down with time, and he's already very difficult to move), unless of course he decides to move Schneider because he figures there's not really any legitimate market for Luongo

Luongo himself I would love to have as a Leaf. His contract just kills it for me, his contract and the expectation that we give up something like the 5th overall or Gardiner. If he had like 2-4 years left on his deal, I would be far more interested.
I can see that. That's more of a hate for the deal than it is the player though.

On the topic of contracts, I think considering the age most top goalies play until, the idea of his contract being crazy is a tad overblown considering the good years left and the hefty salary drop right at the end. That's just my opinion though, I can see the other points of view as being just as valid.

I don't take fan expectations into account because they are very rarely anywhere near accurate

Old
06-22-2012, 09:28 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Thn: "maple leafs crease conundrum"

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...alie-buzz.html

*please don't come into this thread to bash THN or Richardson. he's reporting the same stuff others are reporting and it's what everyone on this board is discussing.

Quote:
The Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail suggested if Leafs GM Brian Burke wants to improve his goaltending, Vancouver Canucks starter Roberto Luongo is the only logical choice.
Quote:
The free agent market for quality goalies was thin before Harding's re-signing and what's left is mainly backup material, not proven starters in their prime.
Quote:
Unless Burke has a surprising move planned, he it looks like his only options are to either acquire Luongo or return with James Reimer and Ben Scrivens and hope for the best.
unless burke takes a chance on free agent goalie Cristobal Huet, Antero Niittymaki, or Chris Mason - it just looks like a foregone conclusion.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:29 AM
noway

I think if he gets traded to us, Burke will have to send back a long term contract (Liles) and a salary dump (one of LACK, hopefully Komo) and a 2nd-tier prospect.

noway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

7 of 10 have faith in BB

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:30 AM
dubey
Cookie Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
*please don't come into this thread to bash THN or Richardson. he's reporting the same stuff others are reporting and it's what everyone on this board is discussing.
So what you're saying is this article could have been posted in a thread that already exists?

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:31 AM
mooseOAK*

Why start a thread with absolutely no new information and topics that have been discussed for a long time already?

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:41 AM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
Why start a thread with absolutely no new information and topics that have been discussed for a long time already?
why ask the question?

you're a board Mod. so fix it.

feel free to merge it with the Waiting for Luongo Essay.

ForSpareParts* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:34 AM
xyzz

I think getting Luongo (for a decent price) is the most important thing we could do right now. It's going to be an exciting week... looking forward to seeing who we get at #5, and possibly landing shultz, and possibly a few other trades.

But IMO nothing would improve the team more than getting Luongo in a Leafs uniform.

Get it done!!!

xyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:21 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

dreger thinks flyers are trading bob to columbus

now the flyers can get Luongo

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:23 AM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

how could the flyers handle 2 long contracts in goal? impossible

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:29 AM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
dreger thinks flyers are trading bob to columbus

now the flyers can get Luongo
With Bryz's NMC?

Old
06-22-2012, 01:11 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
why ask the question?

you're a board Mod. so fix it.

feel free to merge it with the Waiting for Luongo Essay.
MooseOak is far from a mod

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 01:30 PM
dubplatepressure

Interesting little development :

Quote:
Tim Thomas waives no-trade clause

In a bit of a late news nugget, B's goaltender Tim Thomas has reportedly waived his no-trade clause, allowing the Bruins to try and move him before July 1st. Thomas, who has reportedly told the Bruins that he's going to take the year off, is in the final year of a contract that comes with a five million dollar cap-hit.

"He's being very cooperative," Chiarelli told the media when asked about the situation, adding that a couple of teams have approached the Bruins with interest in acquiring the 38-year-old goaltender depending on his availability and the 2012-13 cap-floor.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:16 PM
saint2e

And in the latest news that you should probably ignore anyways:

https://twitter.com/Eklund/status/216247425885667328

"Rumor I was told was the Bobrovsky trade by Columbus was because the Jackets lost out on Luongo to Toronto. Take it for what it's worth..."

Oh Eklund...

saint2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:20 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2e View Post
And in the latest news that you should probably ignore anyways:

https://twitter.com/Eklund/status/216247425885667328

"Rumor I was told was the Bobrovsky trade by Columbus was because the Jackets lost out on Luongo to Toronto. Take it for what it's worth..."

Oh Eklund...
Luongo to Columbus makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Why the hell would Columbus want that contract? And why the hell would Luongo put Columbus as one of those teams he'd accept a trade to? Eklund is talking out of his butt.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 02:49 PM
fahad203

Do not want Loungo.

Don't let his success fool you, he has a stacked team in front of him. He's 33, not a single vezina, only reason he won olympic is because he plays for Canada.

33, 10 year contract at $5.5 . You have got to be kidding me.

I'll wait till Scrivens becomes a good goalie. this is not a position you can just have him benchd.

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:03 PM
BillyD
JUST WIN BABY

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
i think youve rode the same approach to 40,000 plus posts

BillyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:12 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
Do not want Loungo.

Don't let his success fool you, he has a stacked team in front of him. He's 33, not a single vezina, only reason he won olympic is because he plays for Canada.

33, 10 year contract at $5.5 . You have got to be kidding me.

I'll wait till Scrivens becomes a good goalie. this is not a position you can just have him benchd.

You may have to wait forever for that, ok. Why get a proven commodity to win, when we can do what has kept as a failure throughout our lock years by continuing to rely on unproven goaltending? Some leaf fans perplex me. If the price is fair and soft, why do leaf fans not want him, it's shocking to me, this guy is still a capable goaltender, WHO IS PROVEN. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results; we can't keep relying on unproven goaltenders.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:19 PM
fahad203

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post

You may have to wait forever for that, ok. Why get a proven commodity to win, when we can do what has kept as a failure throughout our lock years by continuing to rely on unproven goaltending? Some leaf fans perplex me. If the price is fair and soft, why do leaf fans not want him, it's shocking to me, this guy is still a capable goaltender, WHO IS PROVEN. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expect different results; we can't keep relying on unproven goaltenders.

You can't just look at one aspect and ignore 10 year contract that's remaining. Especially in a cap era, especially now that we may be heading to another strike.

Lets try to keep things in perspective, we have to consider alternatives. 10 year at 5.5 is just too much for any one let alone a 33 year old.

I want to win as much as you do, but this has another contract that's going to come back to haunt us. He's one injury away from not being the same goalie again at this age.

fahad203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:29 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fahad203 View Post
You can't just look at one aspect and ignore 10 year contract that's remaining. Especially in a cap era, especially now that we may be heading to another strike.

Lets try to keep things in perspective, we have to consider alternatives. 10 year at 5.5 is just too much for any one let alone a 33 year old.

I want to win as much as you do, but this has another contract that's going to come back to haunt us. He's one injury away from not being the same goalie again at this age.
The benefits of having Luongo far outweighs the cons. Is there a risk in his contract, of course, but we're in the position that if we don't take risks then we won't succeed. If the only risk is a long contract, than I think a team as rich as ours can afford to take such a risk. Luongo is still a great goalie with a lot of good years left in him and a lot to prove. To go back to unproven goalies again with Scrivens and Reimer next season would be a disaster. The only way I would not take a risk on Luo is if the asking price was too high. Our management constantly boasts about having financial muscle, well this is one of those situations where we can take the risk and, if need be, flex that muscle.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:42 PM
stish

If the Leafs get Luongo and get rid of Reimer or Scrivens I would like to see Burke get another mid round 1st (for Schenn ???) and take Subban. By the time Luongo is in Depends Subban could be ready to step in. I think this guy is going to be something special.

stish is offline   Reply With Quote