HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1992-1993 Habs Season Complete Stats

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2006, 07:29 PM
LesHabsRock

vCash: 500
1992-1993 Habs Season Complete Stats

This is really cool and it does bring back memories about that 1993 Cup victory. Faceoff Magazine dot com has this article on it that I can't seem to post the link to on here. Go to the website faceoffmagazine dot com and it's under the Habs section and the second article called "1992-93 Habs season Review" or something like that.

Incase everyone forgets, the Habs were 6th overall in the league that year, so I'm getting tired of people saying the habs were not a great team that year. They had 102 points with no bonus OT loss points given. They had 48 wins and 3 guys with over 90 points.

Old
04-03-2006, 08:32 PM
IcemanTBI

Yes the habs did have a good team that year, but no way were they expected to win the cup. Pittsburgh went into the playoffs as the clear favourite that year.

The Habs got lucky, when Pittsburgh got bounced by the Isles. Then, don't forget all those overtime games they won. Then in the finals, the McSorely stick measurement.

It was like they couldn't lose. I dunno, the habs just had destiny on their side that year.

Old
04-03-2006, 08:54 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI
Yes the habs did have a good team that year, but no way were they expected to win the cup. Pittsburgh went into the playoffs as the clear favourite that year.

The Habs got lucky, when Pittsburgh got bounced by the Isles. Then, don't forget all those overtime games they won. Then in the finals, the McSorely stick measurement.

It was like they couldn't lose. I dunno, the habs just had destiny on their side that year.
Quebec was also a favourite as well and the Habs were down 2-0 to them in the first round only to come back and win 4 straight games. It wasn't the fluke season people made it out to be. The Habs were simply better than everyone else in the playoffs. And who's to say the Habs wouldn't have beaten Pittsburgh had theyb faced them. The way the Habs were playing they could have beaten anyone and they did. It wasn't luck rather than hard work and a great team effort combined with great goaltending.

Old
04-03-2006, 08:55 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanTBI

Love your avatar: great movie that I watched this movie with my g/f (yeah that's right, my right hand ).

I still stand with my statement at the beginning of the season that the Boston Bruins will win the Stanley Cup this season.

Old
04-03-2006, 09:32 PM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
The Adams Division had three teams with more than 100 points that year - Boston, Quebec, Montreal. We weren't a favorite persay, but we had a great team. There was a real mix of veterans and kids. There was scoring from more than one line. We had a fairly deep defence, and we had Roy.

It's easy to say we had things go our way. I think any team that wins has some things go their way. Buffalo upset Boston. The Islanders upset Pittsburgh. We won a lot of OT games.

I don't see how not having to face teams because they got beat before we got to them diminishes the accomplishment. We went through 4 tough series. We had to come back against Quebec and LA. The 4 game sweep of the Sabres were all 4-3 games. Perhaps only the Isles were out of gas when we faced them.

Win a couple of playoff OT games and you can call it a fluke. Play in 11, and win the last ten, and it's not a fluke. The team simply had the confidence. They knew Roy would be there, and they knew they only needed one chance. Spread out over 4 series and it's no fluke. Meant to be? Destiny? Fate? Maybe.

Old
04-03-2006, 10:30 PM
psychonaut

I remember that they would play to go in overtime. Tie game and the habs are just wasting time. I thought its was funny never saw a team want to go too overtime so bad, but I guess with Roy in net you got a good chance!

Old
04-03-2006, 11:15 PM
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY
The Adams Division had three teams with more than 100 points that year - Boston, Quebec, Montreal. We weren't a favorite persay, but we had a great team. There was a real mix of veterans and kids. There was scoring from more than one line. We had a fairly deep defence, and we had Roy.

It's easy to say we had things go our way. I think any team that wins has some things go their way. Buffalo upset Boston. The Islanders upset Pittsburgh. We won a lot of OT games.

I don't see how not having to face teams because they got beat before we got to them diminishes the accomplishment. We went through 4 tough series. We had to come back against Quebec and LA. The 4 game sweep of the Sabres were all 4-3 games. Perhaps only the Isles were out of gas when we faced them.

Win a couple of playoff OT games and you can call it a fluke. Play in 11, and win the last ten, and it's not a fluke. The team simply had the confidence. They knew Roy would be there, and they knew they only needed one chance. Spread out over 4 series and it's no fluke. Meant to be? Destiny? Fate? Maybe.

Someone please double check my facts since I'm going straight from memory here but I seem to recall that each of the teams that went to the semi finals were 4th place teams in their respective division.

Montreal from Adams, LA from Smythe, Toronto from Norris and was it Islanders from what was the name of their division...on the tip of my tongue but can't get it out...Patrick...there got it out.

Old
04-03-2006, 11:38 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock
This is really cool and it does bring back memories about that 1993 Cup victory. Faceoff Magazine dot com has this article on it that I can't seem to post the link to on here. Go to the website faceoffmagazine dot com and it's under the Habs section and the second article called "1992-93 Habs season Review" or something like that.

Incase everyone forgets, the Habs were 6th overall in the league that year, so I'm getting tired of people saying the habs were not a great team that year. They had 102 points with no bonus OT loss points given. They had 48 wins and 3 guys with over 90 points.

The thing that still amazes me from the 93 team is that our defense had an averge age of like 23 years old

Odelein, Schneider, Haller, Desjardins, and Brisebois were all puppies at that time... JJ deigneault was the senior man at D at the age of 26

You will never see such a young D core ever win the cup again. This is something that never gets brought up about the 93 team and I'm not sure why

Old
04-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Someone please double check my facts since I'm going straight from memory here but I seem to recall that each of the teams that went to the semi finals were 4th place teams in their respective division.

Montreal from Adams, LA from Smythe, Toronto from Norris and was it Islanders from what was the name of their division...on the tip of my tongue but can't get it out...Patrick...there got it out.
The habs were third in their division, Toronto was third in their division, LA was third in their division, NYI were fourth in their division.

04-04-2006, 09:25 AM
Capitano

The Leaf fans were just jealous that we won the cup that year. We had a good team that year, a well-balanced one for sure. Not to mention Patrick Roy in net. This whole "worst team to win the cup" nonsense makes me laugh.

Cap

Old
04-04-2006, 09:40 AM
Darz

I've never understood why the '92-'93 Montreal Canadiens were considered a 'fluke' or the worst team to win the cup when if you look at the habs record in '92-'93, and compare it to the three previous cup winners you will notice.....

1992-1993 Montreal Canadiens - 102 points
1991-1992 Pittsburgh Penguins - 87 points
1990-1991 Pittsburgh Penguins - 88 points
1989-1990 Edmonton Oilers - 90 points

Old
04-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Brett38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
I've never understood why the '92-'93 Montreal Canadiens were considered a 'fluke' or the worst team to win the cup when if you look at the habs record in '92-'93, and compare it to the three previous cup winners you will notice.....

Yes, I agree. Just look back at the players the Habs had that year. They had a great team with a great defence core led by Saint Patrick. I hope we manage to get 42-43 wins this year. If we win 4-5 out of the remaining 8 games, we can do that.

Old
04-04-2006, 11:11 AM
Capitano

Quote:

I told you why...it was jealousy. Ya ok we got lucky in OT a bunch of times but you know what? We won the cup and they can't take anything away no matter how hard they try.

Cap

Old
04-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
I told you why...it was jealousy. Ya ok we got lucky in OT a bunch of times but you know what? We won the cup and they can't take anything away no matter how hard they try.

Cap

Forget about luck. The 10 straight overtime wins had alot more to do with great pressure goaltending and clutch scoring than luck.

I think most non-hab fans feel the only way the habs should win the cup is if they complete a 60-8-12 type season first. Anything else is considered a fluke. Ah well.

Old
04-08-2006, 07:05 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:

Well, the Habs can end up with 95 points if things go as planned...well at least my plan Is 95 points Stanley Cup calibre? Compared to some previous winners it is.

Closed Thread