HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Tim Thomas Has Waived His NTC

Old
06-22-2012, 05:10 PM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
I understand the theory, but all of that is under the assumption the contract is honored. This is a flagrant breach of the contract by the player. Seems that would be an exception, at least as far as Boston goes - if a team trades for the contract knowing the situation, that's a bit different.
A team could trade for the contract under the guise they are reaching out to Tim and trying to get him to play and sign an extension.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:11 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins71 View Post
So sick of this loser. Someone take him, please.
Exactly. What has the guy ever done for the fans of Boston?

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:11 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISC View Post
I actually thought he was a good guy when he said he wanted to spend time with family, friends and pursue other goals he had in life, but now this is just getting annoying.

Feel bad for BB fans.
Feel bad for Chia.
Feel bad for NHL.

Tim Thomas, please go.
1. Why? He helped give me my greatest sports moment in 42 years.
2. Why? Guy could have retired and stuck Chia with the 5 mil giving him no options.
3. Why? NHL? huh?

Old
06-22-2012, 05:12 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox7327 View Post
Posted this in the Bruins forum but if anyone has any thoughts on it here then go for it. :-)
No. You could have a bottom feeder get him and say they want to try to convince him to play and try to give him an extension...

Old
06-22-2012, 05:14 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
Honestly, it's like he's been out of the media for 2 weeks so he had to do something to get back in it.
SO this info came from Tim? He OK'd to waive 10 days ago according to his agent. Chiarelli broke this news.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:15 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Doesn't really matter if he's taking a year off does it?
It gives the Bruins 3 extra week to move his dead contract...maybe have it done before July 1st so they can know how much cap room they are working with.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM
Henrik To Daniel

No team is stupid enough to trade for Thomas when he has clearly stated he is taking a year off. The guy only has one year left on his contract so why would any team (even a team under the cap floor) pay a guy who isn't even going to be playing? At least trade for someone like Komisarek who will still be in your line up.

Luongo is still the best goalie available right now

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgd31 View Post
Bruins fans hate this guy, right?
A certain group hated him since he took the job from their beloved Hannu Toivonen. They were happy to celebrate in his success, but once they had an opening they turned on him and went back to their agendas.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:17 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
No team is stupid enough to trade for Thomas when he has clearly stated he is taking a year off. The guy only has one year left on his contract so why would any team (even a team under the cap floor) pay a guy who isn't even going to be playing? At least trade for someone like Komisarek who will still be in your line up.

They don't pay him. They use 5 mil of cap space for free. It's a cheap owners dream scenario.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
That's what happens around here...Ray Bourque won nothing here and had to move on, and is cherished...Gerry Cheevers left here in a split second after a contract from the WHL... Thomas doesn't want to play anymore....has given his blessing to be dealt to Siberia for all he cares, and it's kill him on the way out... Losers.
And the worship of Bourque perplexes me. The guy never spoke up when the GM said that he didn't want to bring in anyone who made more than Bourque, even if it meant not getting an important piece to a championship puzzle. He didn't speak up when respected vets complained about the team not doing enough to win. He saw those guys get traded away, or retire without a championship....

yet when it was HIS window closing he asked for a trade out of town.

He's worshipped.

A guy who actually WON you a title, and DIDN'T want to get traded gets villified as the team tries to ship him out..... makes perfect sense to me.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:18 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Per Joe Haggerty of CSN

https://twitter.com/HackswithHaggs/s...32918400503809

No indication he's changed his stance on playing next season, but Tim Thomas has waived his NTC so the Bruins are able to deal him prior to July 1st if they so choose.
According to his agent he waived it 7-10 days ago... no news.

Old
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Quote:

You obviously haven't read one of the billion posts correcting your thought process on the matter. See, the team will pay Thomas nothing. The team would have to pay Komisarek. That is why there are teams that would line right up, and apparently are.

edit: Saw your username and read your last sentence. Nevermind.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Bunch of ****ing ingrates. Thomas should have just retired and flipped off Bruins nation on the way out.... But no, he doesn't want to play (God forbid) and gives his GM 3 1/2 weeks extra to dump his contract to wherever so the Bruins can get their book keeping correct...But he's the devil incarnate.

12 months after being the Conn Smythe trophy winner and leading your team to the promised land for the first time in 39 years....Had he not had a super human play-off bruins fans this weekend are crying about the 2nd given up in the Tomas Kaberle deal..... Lame Haters gon hate I guess.
The fact is that it's a stupid rule by the NHL that makes no ****ing sense. Tim Thomas retires but the Bruins still have his hit on the cap? ****ing retarted. IMO, this is part of the problem in the whole Thomas situation. The Bruins shouldn't be stuck with his 5 million dollar hit if he isn't playing for them. Fail NHL.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Quote:
They don't pay him. They use 5 mil of cap space for free. It's a cheap owners dream scenario.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanHortonFan View Post
You obviously haven't read one of the billion posts correcting your thought process on the matter. See, the team will pay Thomas nothing. The team would have to pay Komisarek. That is why there are teams that would line right up, and apparently are.

edit: Saw your username and read your last sentence. Nevermind.
I stand somewhat corrected.

Either way Luongo is still the best goalie available. At least he'll be playing next year.

Henrik To Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by N O O D L E S View Post
The fact is that it's a stupid rule by the NHL that makes no ****ing sense. Tim Thomas retires but the Bruins still have his hit on the cap? ****ing retarted. IMO, this is part of the problem in the whole Thomas situation. The Bruins shouldn't be stuck with his 5 million dollar hit if he isn't playing for them. Fail NHL.
It's a smart rule, that makes perfect sense. The absence of the rule would cause incredibly stupid situations of a team signing a high priced free agent to a 10 year 20m contract, which makes a 2m cap hit, the guy plays for 2 years (essentially earning 10m a year) and then retires.... cap hit gone. A team just saved 16m on their cap.

GMs knew the rule, well GMs except for Chiarelli. Nobody forced him to sign Thomas to an over 35 contract.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:22 PM
GTA Fan
ಠ_ಠ

vCash: 50
lol @ those who don't understand his political stance. good luck with your restricted future and new laws.

GTA Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:25 PM
N o o d l e s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
It's a smart rule, that makes perfect sense. The absence of the rule would cause incredibly stupid situations of a team signing a high priced free agent to a 10 year 20m contract, which makes a 2m cap hit, the guy plays for 2 years (essentially earning 10m a year) and then retires.... cap hit gone. A team just saved 16m on their cap.

GMs knew the rule, well GMs except for Chiarelli. Nobody forced him to sign Thomas to an over 35 contract.
I understand what the rule is in place for, but in this situation I think it's stupid. In Thomas' situation, his contract is nothing like the 10 yr 20 mil contract you mentioned. I do understand they need to put in a rule to prevent something like this happening, but Thomas retiring one year early (or leaving the team, whatever) I don't think should be stuck on the B's cap.

I guess idk what the NHL could do to fix that, though. Only idea I have is maybe make this rule only apply to players who agree to an over 35 deal that takes them over the age of 40? For the record I feel this is the case if it happens to any other team as well, not just the B's. Hope they move Thomas now asap, get rid of that damn hit and get a winger.

N o o d l e s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Count Popula

Quote:
A certain group hated him since he took the job from their beloved Hannu Toivonen. They were happy to celebrate in his success, but once they had an opening they turned on him and went back to their agendas.
Sums it up the best.

Count Popula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:30 PM
Kingbobert
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Biscuit View Post
Hopefully this means he gets moved tonight. Yes, by trading for him and suspending him, a team with a cheap owner and/or internal cap can add his $5M to the cap without actually paying any real money.
i'm never one to look twice and conspiracies or put much stock into one but hell if this doesnt smell like one.

If timmy wanted to retire and not hurt the bruins this is the best way to do it.
Bs trade him to a team that want the cap hit but dont want to pay.
I know this is probably not what happened but too convenient i find.

However, isnt there anything in the CBA that prevents something like that?
I mean if thats the case cant a team take gomez and suspend him right away only to get his cap hit?

Kingbobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:35 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert View Post
i'm never one to look twice and conspiracies or put much stock into one but hell if this doesnt smell like one.

If timmy wanted to retire and not hurt the bruins this is the best way to do it.
Bs trade him to a team that want the cap hit but dont want to pay.
I know this is probably not what happened but too convenient i find.

However, isnt there anything in the CBA that prevents something like that?
I mean if thats the case cant a team take gomez and suspend him right away only to get his cap hit?
What would the basis for suspending Gomez be? In this case, Thomas says, "I'm not playing." Thus a team can suspend him for not performing his contract.

Now, you may argue Gomez hasn't performed his contract either, but the act of reporting, even if he plays like crap, is still performing.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:36 PM
Duncanmac81

I could see a team that is sitting around the cap floor trading a 2nd or 3rd for him, a team like the stars or Avalanche that sits around or under the cap floor.

I see this making sense for a budget team, they have his cap hit, but dont have to pay him that 5 mill

Duncanmac81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:37 PM
Random Bruins Fan
Certified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
And the worship of Bourque perplexes me. The guy never spoke up when the GM said that he didn't want to bring in anyone who made more than Bourque, even if it meant not getting an important piece to a championship puzzle. He didn't speak up when respected vets complained about the team not doing enough to win. He saw those guys get traded away, or retire without a championship....

yet when it was HIS window closing he asked for a trade out of town.

He's worshipped.

A guy who actually WON you a title, and DIDN'T want to get traded gets villified as the team tries to ship him out..... makes perfect sense to me.
You expected a lot from Bourque. He wasn't the owner or GM. You think Ray Bourque could force JJ and Harry Sinden to spend more on the team and produce a championship? Bourque played from hometown discounts his whole career, I had no issue with him asking for a trade as he was in the twilight of his career and the Burins were clearly rebuilding.

Random Bruins Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:42 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8th Rounder View Post
You expected a lot from Bourque. He wasn't the owner or GM. You think Ray Bourque could force JJ and Harry Sinden to spend more on the team and produce a championship? Bourque played from hometown discounts his whole career, I had no issue with him asking for a trade as he was in the twilight of his career and the Burins were clearly rebuilding.
His hometown discounts didn't help the team, they hurt it. They created an artificial salary ceiling. "Can't pay anyone more than Ray" Harry would say.

All Bourque had to say was, "Hey, I don't mind being the 2nd highest paid Bruin if it means that we win a title."

Or when he saw a guy like Oates get shipped out, he might say, "Gee, I wish the team would keep guys even if they speak their mind."

I don't think either of those things is asking that much. I like Ray a lot, but I think he got a free pass for asking out of town, when a lot of other guys got killed for the same thing.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:06 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
I stand somewhat corrected.

Either way Luongo is still the best goalie available. At least he'll be playing next year.
Yeah maybe even as a back up to Schneider. You also stand completely corrected.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Thomas is doing the Bruins a favor by waiving early, so they might possibly be able to get anything in return, such as a draft pick to use tonight or tomorrow. That's all. I don't know if I see him traded this weekend. Who knows. It's certainly a weird situation.

Although he seems to like the attention, I don't see any reason why Bruins fans should be mad at the guy. Everything he's done for the franchise should make up for what his decision is now. I know it's not cool to leave them hanging and bailing out but I couldn't hate a guy who brought me the Stanley Cup and two Vezinas.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote