HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Entry Draft

Closed Thread

Old
06-22-2012, 03:11 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Would you put next year's first in play to get a deal done to get into the top 5?
as long as it is pick number 30 .....

Old
Moskau

vCash: 100
I'd like to see Grigerenko fall to us and then trade him to a team that likes to draft high talent prospects that fall. Has NYI or NJD written all over it.

Then again I wouldn't mind just picking the guy and showing some huge balls.

Old
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Don't know enough about next year's class. Is it loaded or sparce?

I expect a stronger finish (better than 12/13) next year from the Sabres so their #1 pick should be lower in the draft order. If next year's class is only average, I'd offer it up.

Sorry I should be better informed about 2013 prospects.
Much better than this class.
I know everyone says that the year before a draft, but the big difference is that guys haven't started to drop off like they did last year.
Martin Frk was touted as a surefire top five selection and possible #1 for this year, but you could see warning signs early on last season and it became apparent by like January or February that him going in the first round was even a question mark.
Sure enough, he's a early to mid second round guy now.

There are also a bunch of guys like Mathew Campagna, Matia Marcantuoni, and A.J. Michaelson.
All three were fantastic early on (Campagna was somewhat hyped coming out of midget and Marcantuoni had huge hype, with some calling him one of the best minor midget players to come through ON in some time), but they never took the next step.

Then there's also guys like Ebert, who looked good because they played with top guys early on and were exposed when those older players left.
Hopefully that's not the case with some of these 2013 guys (some will say Duclair and Shinkaruk, but I like both), but thus far, they've probably outperformed their 2012 peers.

It's kind of sad when some teams would probably take a 17 year old Nathan MacKinnon (well he won't even be 17 until September) or Seth Jones this year if they could over any of the guys in this class.

Last edited by jfb392: 06-22-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old
06-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Don't know enough about next year's class. Is it loaded or sparce?

I expect a stronger finish (better than 12/13) next year from the Sabres so their #1 pick should be lower in the draft order. If next year's class is only average, I'd offer it up.

Sorry I should be better informed about 2013 prospects.
As always, the view a year out is being deemed more robust. I suspect even fewer 1sts get dealt for next year than this prior to draft day as people will want to make sure they don't squander their opportunity to draft a superior talent. MacKinnon, Monahan, Barkov, Jones... there are more too. It looks pretty impressive right now.

06-22-2012, 03:25 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Much better than this class.
I know everyone says that the year before a draft, but the big difference is that guys haven't started to drop off like they did last year.
Martin Frk was touted as a surefire top five selection and possible #1 for this year, but you could see warning signs early on last season and it became apparent by like January or February that him going in the first round was even a question mark.
Sure enough, he's a early to mid second round guy now.

There are also a bunch of guys like Mathew Campagna, Matia Marcantuoni, and A.J. Michaelson.
All three were fantastic early on (Campagna was somewhat hyped coming out of midget and Marcantuoni had huge hype, with some calling him one of the best minor midget players to come through ON in some time), but they never took the next step.

Then there's also guys like Ebert, who looked good because they played with top guys early on and were exposed when those older players left.
Hopefully that's not the case with some of these 2013 guys (some will say Duclair and Shinkaruk, but I like both), but thus far, they've probably outperformed their 2012 peers.
Good info. Thanks.

The good thing about the current draft is that you've got the latest skinny on players who are qualified. Even then, more don't turn out than do. Next year's draft is a long way away and as you pointed out, players fall off (and others improve). When you throw future picks into the deal (i.e.; throw future picks away), I think you need to be pretty sure that what you're shooting at is going to happen this next season or the following.

Top 5 picks are usually ranked there because they have the goods. So I think the 3 year plan to win the Cup drives Darcy to jump up and in if the opportunity presents itself.

But then again, it's not my paycheck that I'm putting on the line.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:47 PM
jfb392

Quote:
nielson1260 With every minute that goes by I think it's less and less likely the Oilers take Yakupov
http://twitter.com/nielson1260/statu...66476770967552

Quote:
nielson1260 Hearing that the Oilers have apparently not contacted Igor Larionov to talk about Nail Yakupov, looking to get confirmed
http://twitter.com/nielson1260/statu...66955315879936

Quote:
nielson1260 We asked Larionov to come on Gregor's show and he simply said "Edmonton doesn't talk to me, I don't talk to them"
http://twitter.com/nielson1260/statu...68971182264320

Larionov is mad.

Old
06-22-2012, 03:52 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Why are none of you yellowbellies in the irc chat yet?

Old
06-22-2012, 03:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I'm too busy dealing with work. I think it's time to run/jump/sling heavy metal plates about.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:07 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Looks like I'm the first to join you.

(and now no one else will want to join )

Old
06-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Haha, there's still 2 hours till the draft. I will be in later when the start gets closer.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:13 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

I'm going to need an audio stream when the time comes, so if someone has a good one, please share. Thanks!

Old
06-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I don't even know how to do the chat. Can someone post the directions again for this amateur? Thanks.

JFB, it seems Regier/Devine have a penchant for drafting guys in the mid- to late-rounds who were high CHL draft picks--going into their junior league, that is. Who are some guys who'd fall into that category and are pegged to be selected in the 3rd-5th round?

Old
06-22-2012, 04:15 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I'm too busy dealing with work. I think it's time to run/jump/sling heavy metal plates about.
Real men IRC chat while working

Old
06-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I don't even know how to do the chat. Can someone post the directions again for this amateur? Thanks.

JFB, it seems Regier/Devine have a penchant for drafting guys in the mid- to late-rounds who were high CHL draft picks--going into their junior league, that is. Who are some guys who'd fall into that category and are pegged to be selected in the 3rd-5th round?
Assuming you have no IRC client, go to: http://chat.mibbit.com
Next to the server drop-down list, click the link that says "server"
In the box that then appears, enter: irc.esper.net
In nick put: a username you want to use
In channel put: #sabres

Old
06-22-2012, 04:23 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

So I'm en route to buffalo for a wedding right now. I don't know if xm NHL network will air te draft. If they do im okay. If not I'm screwed. I can't get in touch with Jame right now so if anyone is watchin and can text me pick by Pick through 21, and any majOr deals, please PM me and we will exchange cell numbers. Let me know soon please!!!!!

Old
06-22-2012, 04:25 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
I'm going to need an audio stream when the time comes, so if someone has a good one, please share. Thanks!
If you can do video, I think NHL.com may be streaming it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

You can use Mibbit, as Rob Paxon explained, or download a client if you want (mIRC).
If you went that way, just install it, type in your nickname, and then paste in "/server irc.esper.net -j #sabres".

As for some high bantam/midget kids that are mid-rounders: Dillon Fournier, Charles Hudon, François Tremblay from the Q, Mathew Campagna, Jesse Graham, Justin Kea, Jarrod Maidens, Matia Marcantuoni from the O, Steven Hodges and Ryan Olsen from the Dub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
So I'm en route to buffalo for a wedding right now. I don't know if xm NHL network will air te draft. If they do im okay. If not I'm screwed. I can't get in touch with Jame right now so if anyone is watchin and can text me pick by Pick through 21, and any majOr deals, please PM me and we will exchange cell numbers. Let me know soon please!!!!!
I never have any cell service but I can text them to you if you'd like.
I can do Twitter too.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I owe you big time for previous years brother....i'll do my best, but I got a new born in my lap and dont know where my cell phone is at the moment. Sorry, i missed your text.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:43 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I owe you big time for previous years brother....i'll do my best, but I got a new born in my lap and dont know where my cell phone is at the moment. Sorry, i missed your text.
No worries my brother. Forgot about the baby! Several people stepped up so I'm covered. Hopefully it's on xm and I won't have to bother anybody. Thanks again to those of you who reached out - this is why this place is second to none.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:55 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Craig Button is like a bad Mel Kiper. He sounds like he knows his stuff but it never pans out the way he thinks. He's all reputation and no substance.

Old
06-22-2012, 04:59 PM
Tachycineta

1 hour!

And I know I shouldn't be thinking this way but if and when we don't get Galy, I hope that Yaks and Galy go 1 and 2 so Montreal and Toronto don't get them either.

2010 bandwagon jumper- Go Habs and Bruins!
Old
06-22-2012, 05:07 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
1 hour!

And I know I shouldn't be thinking this way but if and when we don't get Galy, I hope that Yaks and Galy go 1 and 2 so Montreal and Toronto don't get them either.
Murray will go 1 or 2 (looking like 1 right now), and CBus will choose between Murray and Gally. Yakupov and Grigorenko will likely be available for Montreal, and one of them for Toronto.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:10 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDaSwords View Post
Murray will go 1 or 2 (looking like 1 right now), and CBus will choose between Murray and Gally. Yakupov and Grigorenko will likely be available for Montreal, and one of them for Toronto.
I think Forsberg is the Blue Jackets guy. I'm actually hoping Yakupov slides to #4 and the NYI pick him right in front of TO. Would love to see him with Tavares and an added bonus seeing Burke all pissed off.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachycineta View Post
1 hour!

Three of the bottom five are Canadian teams. Half of their country's teams are massive failures at this point. Throw one of them a bone.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:16 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
I think Forsberg is the Blue Jackets guy. I'm actually hoping Yakupov slides to #4 and the NYI pick him right in front of TO. Would love to see him with Tavares and an added bonus seeing Burke all pissed off.
The only way Forsberg goes to Cbus is if they trade down IMO. I think their beat reported said their board went 1) Murray 2) Galchenyuk 3) Forsberg.

However, it is a very real possiblity...I could see Toronto try to trade up to get in front of Montreal.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:39 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
alexander vasilevski . . . . . . Andrei, you think guys who get paid to do this would get it right

Closed Thread