HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Waiting on Luongo

Old
06-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Twix
Patch of velcro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stish View Post
If the Leafs get Luongo and get rid of Reimer or Scrivens I would like to see Burke get another mid round 1st (for Schenn ???) and take Subban. By the time Luongo is in Depends Subban could be ready to step in. I think this guy is going to be something special.
I'm in total agreement with this. Word is though that Philly has serious interest in acquiring him.

Twix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:58 PM
The Beyonder

Ironically... Subban reminds me of Luongo the way he plays, anyone else see that, or is it just me.

The Beyonder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:15 PM
noway

If he is a cancer like his brother, why bother? In just a few years we'll be trying to get rid of him anyway.

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:22 PM
ITM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beyonder View Post
Ironically... Subban reminds me of Luongo the way he plays, anyone else see that, or is it just me.
Not really. Stance is similar, but I'd liken his style to Quick or Howard, maybe even Richter way back. His leg speed is exceptional. Battles well.

And really, nabbing him might incentivize PK to eventually come to Toronto. That's a good thing.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Twix
Patch of velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
If he is a cancer like his brother, why bother? In just a few years we'll be trying to get rid of him anyway.
In interviews he says he's learned a lot from his brothers mistakes. ie: if I read between the lines I believe it means he knows not to be a jackass like his brother.

Twix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:52 PM
wavaxa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
My dislike is:
- The Contract
- The trade expectations of Canucks fans. IMO Gillis is far more desperate to move Luongo than Burke is to get Luongo. Burke can wait a year, and other options WILL become available. If Gillis waits a year, there will be FEWER options (Lou's value is only going down with time, and he's already very difficult to move), unless of course he decides to move Schneider because he figures there's not really any legitimate market for Luongo
Leaf fans vastly overestimate the desperation of Mike Gillis. The Canucks have 18 players signed and almost $15 million in cap space. The only real player of significance who is unsigned is Cory Schneider. They are in no rush to get rid of Luongo, despite rampant media and fan speculation to the contrary. Gillis is not a guy who rushes anything.

I could very well be completely wrong, but somehow I get the feeling that Luongo is staying put this year.

wavaxa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavaxa2 View Post
Leaf fans vastly overestimate the desperation of Mike Gillis. The Canucks have 18 players signed and almost $15 million in cap space. The only real player of significance who is unsigned is Cory Schneider. They are in no rush to get rid of Luongo, despite rampant media and fan speculation to the contrary. Gillis is not a guy who rushes anything.

I could very well be completely wrong, but somehow I get the feeling that Luongo is staying put this year.
I disagree, the Canucks can't bring Luongo back. Not saying he comes to Toronto, but after they benched him in the playoffs after playing relatively well that was it.

The only way Luongo will stay is if Cory Schneider leaves, and I really don't see that happening.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:13 PM
wavaxa2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
I disagree, the Canucks can't bring Luongo back. Not saying he comes to Toronto, but after they benched him in the playoffs after playing relatively well that was it.

The only way Luongo will stay is if Cory Schneider leaves, and I really don't see that happening.
It wouldn't be ideal to bring Luongo back, true. However, Schneider hasn't really proven a thing yet as a starter, either. And who knows, if the Canucks could get a better return on Schneider than Luongo, they might pull the trigger on that deal. They do have a couple of very promising goalie prospects coming up in Eddie Lack and Joe Cannata, so maybe they feel they could afford to lose a Schneider.

wavaxa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:26 PM
darrylsittler27

Kings will take run at Parise.

If we trade for Luongo and L.A signs Parise,when will the Leafs win the cup?Thats right we already have cap problems,if we trade for Luongo only 3 forwards are signed beyond next year and we will be toast.The east is just too competetive for moves this restricting.

Last edited by darrylsittler27: 06-22-2012 at 05:32 PM.
darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:48 PM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
According to TSN (facebook), Rishaug reported that Burke and Gillis went for a walk. Speculating it's all business.

The Brewmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Jerkini

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27 View Post
If we trade for Luongo and L.A signs Parise,when will the Leafs win the cup?Thats right we already have cap problems,if we trade for Luongo only 3 forwards are signed beyond next year and we will be toast.The east is just too competetive for moves this restricting.
Getting a goalie as good as Luongo at his caphit is one of the best things you can do for your club if you want to go places.

Jerkini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavaxa2 View Post
It wouldn't be ideal to bring Luongo back, true. However, Schneider hasn't really proven a thing yet as a starter, either. And who knows, if the Canucks could get a better return on Schneider than Luongo, they might pull the trigger on that deal. They do have a couple of very promising goalie prospects coming up in Eddie Lack and Joe Cannata, so maybe they feel they could afford to lose a Schneider.
Fair enough.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:14 PM
Sundinftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
According to TSN (facebook), Rishaug reported that Burke and Gillis went for a walk. Speculating it's all business.
Boy are we desperate

Sundinftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Beaninfritz

Checked his numbers, and he's shown to be similar to Eddie Belfour in that regard. Trading for him is not a bad idea IMO. The cap will keep going up as the years go by, and having a goalie with his ability for 5.3 mil/season is a steal.

Not too worried about the latter years either. I mean, do people really think he'll want to warm the bench for a measly million dollars for a few seasons? Nope. He'll come off the books before he hits 41.

Beaninfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:55 PM
NiL8r87

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brewmeister View Post
My source tells me they walked into the bathroom together....strictly business of course.

NiL8r87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:38 PM
sammy d

jackass???? cancer??? You guys just wish you had a dman as good as him, and BTW Gardiner is another one year wonder like Reimer, BOOK IT.

sammy d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Dio666

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
jackass???? cancer??? You guys just wish you had a dman as good as him, and BTW Gardiner is another one year wonder like Reimer, BOOK IT.
Umm yeah.... Subban is the next coming of Scott Niedermayer lol. What has Subban done that makes him so good?

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:11 AM
Syn3rgetic
Boats the Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
I'm at the point one way or another I hope he is dealt somewhere.
Yep, just to get this fiasco over with.

Syn3rgetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:13 AM
Syn3rgetic
Boats the Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
If I go back a couple months when this whole Luongo thing first started up, I will find many posts saying how much I don't want him as a Leaf, how much I don't like him, I even said I wouldn't cheer anymore if he put on the blue and white. Well this is my foot in mouth backtracking post.

I am starting to realize it isn't him I don't like, it is the fact he was a Canuck. The thought of him becoming a Leaf is actually exciting me. I never thought I would say this, but I hope we get him, I just hope we don't over pay. Since we have Burke, I doubt we will overpay.
Meanwhile, Komisarek, Armstrong and Conolly are reading this post and laughing. "Overpay!"

Syn3rgetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:36 AM
Dalton

I think Luongo would be good for us. Maybe the kids get some playoff experience and leadership. Buys time for the young goalies to develop with a mentor. It looks like they are having trouble reaching a deal though. If it doesn't happen, it won't be for lack of trying. We'll muddle along in the wastelands accrueing picks and prospects hopefully.

Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:07 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Wah! Wah! Wah! Does nobody have any patience any more? Bunch of spoiled brats who want everything right away. And if they have to wait, they don't want it anymore.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Reminds of when kaberle was a Leaf, trade talks 24/7

Brewsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Calacatz
Pak-trick!

Luongo is perfect for Leaf fans & Reimer cause he will get us to the playoffs which we are all dying for & when he $hits the bed like he normally does in the playoffs Reimer will step in and gain valuable playoff experience and have his chance to carry us through...

Calacatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:16 PM
TheOneArmedMan

You guys are going to be waiting a long time to see what happens. Canucks board want Gillis to hurry up because they don't want this to drag on any longer.

TheOneArmedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:23 PM
Beaninfritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calacatz View Post
Luongo is perfect for Leaf fans & Reimer cause he will get us to the playoffs which we are all dying for & when he $hits the bed like he normally does in the playoffs Reimer will step in and gain valuable playoff experience and have his chance to carry us through...
Gotta love how winning olympic gold, gold in 2 world championships, gold in a world cup, playing to a game 7 in the stanley cup finals while shutting out the opposition twice in that series, is somehow considered "crapping the bed"?

Beaninfritz is offline   Reply With Quote