UCONN to join Hockey East

Old
06-21-2012, 03:25 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

vCash: 500
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m...062112aac.html

Quote:
Connecticut currently does not offer athletic scholarships in men's ice hockey, but plans to elevate to the NCAA maximum of 18 scholarships as a participant in Hockey East. UConn will also add additional athletic scholarships to women's sports to ensure compliance with gender equity regulations.
This is even better news, though I find it alarming they don't mention when these scholarships will be added.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:55 PM
gorskic
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to gorskic Send a message via Yahoo to gorskic
At least they aren't talking about building a new hockey arena out in East Hartford that will be largely unused, to go along with the football stadium in East Hartford that's also largely unused. In which case, the taxpayers (including me) would be stuck with two white elephants.

06-21-2012, 04:08 PM
splat10

Hockey East has stringent requirements of it's teams in order to qualify for membership. UConn didn't meet several so they had to get creative. The biggest two were.
1) Home area must seat a minimum of 3500 (i think that's the number but it might be higher). hence playing home games at XL. Storrs rink is ineligable to host HE games (mens).
2) They must off a minimum of 18 scholarships (mens). Hence the announcement that they will now off those.

http://hockeyjournal.com/news/colleg..._pros_and_cons

Last edited by splat10: 06-21-2012 at 04:16 PM.
splat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:10 PM
splat10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorskic View Post
At least they aren't talking about building a new hockey arena out in East Hartford that will be largely unused, to go along with the football stadium in East Hartford that's also largely unused. In which case, the taxpayers (including me) would be stuck with two white elephants.
'

actually they are. Just a little down the road. XL will suck for college hockey games and it will be difficult for them to recruit with that as their home arena when you compare BU, BC, Maine's facilities for example. The governor of CT is a huge hockey fan i guess so that is where the push on this came from.

Old
06-21-2012, 04:47 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

Can Gampbell Pavillion be rebuilt or expanded as better version that can host hockey and basketball and UConn only use the XL once or twice a year? They use it way too much for how small it is already so expanding it is a good idea.

I knows Storrs is a bit of a drive from Hartford so sort of understand playing some games there but I think UConn plays too many Mens BB games in Storrs and should only use it occasionally (like Ohio State uses their old basketball arena once a year.) IMO its kind of dumb when UConn schedules a team like Texas in January on a Saturday there (I remember that was a crazy fluky as hell game) instead of playing in Hartford.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:52 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

Quote:
Hey, isn't that what taxes in CT are for? To prop up the state's profes.....er, college athletic program? You folks should get a refund for the b-ball team being too dumb to compete in postseason next year.

GarbageGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:08 PM
gorskic
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat10 View Post
actually they are. Just a little down the road.
Source? I've seen nothing about that. If they had plans to build a new facility, that would have made a lot of news in the state, given that we really don't have money for anything. And considering that one of our state's largest taxpayers and beneficiaries of $200M of incentives to build their Digital Center 2 (ESPN) played such a helpful role in splitting up what was left of the Big East, we should take the $200M back and pay off that white elephant of a football stadium.

In any event...

Quote:
XL will suck for college hockey games and it will be difficult for them to recruit with that as their home arena when you compare BU, BC, Maine's facilities for example. The governor of CT is a huge hockey fan i guess so that is where the push on this came from.
That is where the push came from (Malloy's a BC alum). That and from Ward Manuel, who's a breath of fresh air at UConn. That said, XL is a pit. P-I-T pit. Howard Baldwin is daffy enough to think you could lure an NHL team there, with the right renovations.

From where I sit, the only renovation for that place that will make any difference begins with a truckload of high explosives and a blasting crew.

gorskic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 03:05 PM
BMC
#BostonStrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
Can Gampbell Pavillion be rebuilt or expanded as better version that can host hockey and basketball and UConn only use the XL once or twice a year? They use it way too much for how small it is already so expanding it is a good idea.

I knows Storrs is a bit of a drive from Hartford so sort of understand playing some games there but I think UConn plays too many Mens BB games in Storrs and should only use it occasionally (like Ohio State uses their old basketball arena once a year.) IMO its kind of dumb when UConn schedules a team like Texas in January on a Saturday there (I remember that was a crazy fluky as hell game) instead of playing in Hartford.
IIRC there had been some talk of renovating Gampel to increase seating capacity but it didn't go anywhere.

And Storrs is a bit of a drive from anywhere!

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:10 PM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
IIRC there had been some talk of renovating Gampel to increase seating capacity but it didn't go anywhere.

And Storrs is a bit of a drive from anywhere!
There really isn't any room in Gampel for more seats, but they did put in new scoreboards/ jumbotrons this past year.

I don't think they could fit a rink in Gampel either. It's really not that big of an arena.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:43 PM
gorskic
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
I don't think they could fit a rink in Gampel either. It's really not that big of an arena.
Correct. And it can't be expanded.

Recall that Gampell was built long before UConn 2000 and the university was having a lot of trouble building much of anything. With the cost overruns at the new library (the one that was falling apart as they were building it), Gampell got downscaled.

There was some talk at the time of making Gampell a multi-purpose building but Calhoon basically vetoed that idea.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:54 PM
splat10

Quote:
Source? I've seen nothing about that. If they had plans to build a new facility, that would have made a lot of news in the state, given that we really don't have money for anything. And considering that one of our state's largest taxpayers and beneficiaries ...
By down the road I meant years of time not a physical place. I read somewhere back a while ago when they were speculating on who would join he

Old
06-22-2012, 07:13 PM
gorskic
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by splat10 View Post
By down the road I meant years of time not a physical place. I read somewhere back a while ago when they were speculating on who would join he
What you actually might see is a new arena in Hartford, sized for college basketball and HEA and AHL hockey. And the XL gets leveled. That's always been in the long-term plan but, like others (and I) have said, the state doesn't have the money to do that right now. That would complete the downtown redevelopment program.