HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Lindros Saga: Lindros "Trade" To Rangers

Old
06-22-2012, 05:27 PM
patnyrnyg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
No I wouldn't.

I was on my own by the time I was 17 years old. By choice.

And the situations couldn't have been more different than you going to certain colleges and Lindros being drafted by a professional team.

Tell me, what was the rational used for not wanting to go play for Ottawa in Juniors or the Nordiques in the NHL?

And while your parents spoke to every coach (which was a good thing) did they have any impact on the school you chose?

I wish I would have gone away to college, but I know how I was when I was 17 and I can tell you that no matter how many conversations my parents had with the AD or the coaching staff at any school i was looking at, it would have had NO BEARING on the decision I made.
You are right, it was different. I wasn't looking for a scholarship. I wanted to play 1AA and at a good school. Lindros was dealing with potential millions of dollars. If I chose poorly, I could simply transfer (which I did). If he just sucked it up and said, "Fine, I will play at the Soo or I will play in Quebec and not rock the boat...", and wound up being miserable, well he was stuck. He would have had a contract that committed him to that team. If he was miserable, it could effect his play.

As far as my parents, it was ultimately my decision, but we were on the same page pretty much the whole time, so it was never an issue.

Do you think Brien Taylor's mom knew anything about the business of baseball? Doubt it, but I am willing to bet my lungs Brien is happy is mother took a stand.

Do you think Jeter's parents knew anything about the business of baseball? Doubt it. But, in 1992 he was the consensus best player in the country, similar to Lindros in his draft year. His parents came out and said, "We want $5MM or he is going to the University of Michigan." Could be off on the number, but it was a ridiculous amount of a signing bonus for that time. Moreso than Brien Taylor's $1.5MM. Anyways, the first 5 teams weren't willing to pay it, but the Yankees were. I would say his parents meddling has worked out. Guess what, they now run his affairs. My friends brother works for him and answers directly to his sister. His parents full-time job is managing him.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Killem Dafoe
k.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBadGuy7 View Post

He was good. i remember that game pretty well. Damn, that depressed me to watch but was a good vid man. And off topic...I miss Messier's ghost spitting.

Killem Dafoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 06:03 PM
ban

I wanted Lindros back then. MAYBE too much going other way, but who knows.

I will say, with the Rangers, Lindros had the best eye hand coordination I have ever seen from a hockey player. Playing pucks in the air, to me, he was noticeably better than anyone else.

I pretty much just watch the Rangers, so maybe there were others elsewhere, but he stood out in this facet. And he was so physically strong. Big player, best hands, superstar!

To add to my scouting resume, Gretzky with the Rangers was best passer I ever saw, even at end of his career! I was probably the only one to notice that Gretzky guy, maybe I should apply for a scouting job!

ban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Baby Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad Brichards View Post
I'm one of the few who actually enjoyed Lindros on Broadway. I see him as a Flyer, but I certainly don't look down on his Rangers career.
My forever memories of Eric Lindros are watching him run over Mark Messier in game 3 of the ECF in 97' scoring an empty netter to seal the win & Thinking Man we could have had him way back when & God I hated that e'ffin guy so much.

Than when Stevens knocked him out of the playoffs in 2000 & thinking, perfect Sather will never trade for him now, not even Sather could be that stupid....clearly I was wrong.

I hated that trade. I don't think the fans ever warmed up to Lindros. As much as I hated him, I did come to apperciate him & respect him as a player & the way he played. He played hard every night he wore a Rangers sweater.

I also heard several storues from various people of how much of a nice person he was & all around good guy. It's hard to hate a person like that.

Last edited by Baby Punisher: 06-22-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Leetch66

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
In 1992,Leetch and Graves were 22 years old. Richter was 24. Leetch had just won the Norris and Messier won the Hart. They would have still had Zubov coming over to NA from the Unified team. Patrick would have been there. Beukeboom. Nemchinov, Gartner. Turcotte, King. Domi.

I really wanted Lindros. Score put out those special edition Lindros hockey cards. My friends and I went to the local baseball/hockey card store after school to purchase the set just for the Lindros cards. I still have them.

I still have them too ! I sold cases and cases of that stuff way back then . I know a guy that bought 6 cases figuring the stuff would be worth a mint and that it would buy him a Cadillac down the road . Today the stuff is worth 5 bucks a box for 36 packs of cards . The best card is actually of Martin Brodeur who was only printed by SCORE as no other company had him in their sets and that made his rookie card scarce .
I was lucky enough to have a card shop back when the Flyers came to town with Lindros in his first Flyer training camp . I met him at a welcoming party at a local resort...he was huge and actually a very nice friendly kid and he signed a ton of stuff for us .

Here is a link to describe how great a week it was back then being a hockey fan .
http://www.retromediastore.ca/news/6...Camp-1993.html

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote