HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zemgus Girgensons, Center 14th Overall, 2012

Old
06-22-2012, 08:07 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Zemgus Girgensons, Center 14th Overall, 2012

Aaron Vickers (Future Considerations)

"He has a short, choppy stride that produces incredible power and acceleration. He is constantly moving his feet and moves extremely
well with the puck, essentially hitting top speed in just a few strides. He plays both ends, covering and supporting teammates. His
game seems focused on getting the puck with speed; once his team gains possession, Girgensons explodes from wherever he is and
makes himself available for a pass. He uses his speed to gain the offensive zone and to draw penalties. His shot is quick off his blade
and usually labelled for a corner. He is a bit of a bull: Sturdy on his skates, able to shrug off hits and able to keep advancing with the
puck. He has great hands and is able to make soft touch passes with varying release points on his shot selection. He has size and
knows how to use it. Zemgus throws hits and fights for every puck. He has great leadership—he is the captain on the team—and you
see him constantly talking to his teammates both during play and after whistles. He doesn’t have an overly active stick but has great
defensive positioning. His willingness to throw his body around cannot be understated."

Corey Pronman (Hockey Prospectus)

"Girgensons had a quality second USHL season and has a good chance to be the highest draft selection to ever come from Latvia.
Girgensons is a great do-it-all player who can create offense from his natural skill and still be a fan favorite because of his intangibles.
Girgensons is an above-average skater with a technically sound stride and is pretty agile in tight spaces. His top speed isn't overly
dangerous but still good meaning he will be able to skate with pros. Girgensons is a dangerous puck handler who I'd say is above-
average to plus in that area as he can certainly make players miss and at times he can be a pretty flashy player. At other times,
though, Girgensons can be a straight-ahead gritty type of power forward who drives the net, gets in people's faces after the whistle,
and will lay out big hit after big hit. He also shows a diligent work ethic at both ends, and is very responsible and smart defensively for
his age, which has garnered trust from his coach to play him in a lot of tough defensive minutes. Girgensons is pretty aware with the
puck with a pass-first mentality. While I haven't seen high-end playmaking from him, he can certainly move the puck around and has
pretty good vision."

Craig Button (TSN)

"Zemgus is a hard player. Hard on the puck, hard on the body, hard competitor, hard working and hard to play against. He is
industrious and purposeful but one can't underestimate his skills. His skating is strong with excellent balance which makes it very
difficult for opponents to deter him, let alone knock him awry. He has very good puck skills and while there may not be a deft touch to
his passing, there certainly is an effectiveness and accuracy to it. He has a good shot but has a burning desire to take the puck to the
net. He's like the running back who excels in goal line situations, going through the gauntlet has more appeal and satisfaction than
making it untouched. His sense is very good and he plays equally well in offensive and defensive situations. He plays with a
determination that will overwhelm those who are not up to the challenge. He's the player you love to have on your side and hate to play
against."

David Burstyn (McKeen's Hockey)

“Girgensons is the type of player you would love to have on your team, but hate to play against. His physical brand of hockey, work
ethic and hunger for the puck is unrivalled by any player in the USHL and arguably his draft class. Girgensons plays the game the only
way he knows how – in your face and full throttle – as he goes through players rather than around them… The opposition has to
constantly be alert when he is on the ice, as he will hit with authority and can also burn a team on the scoresheet with his hands.”

Grant McCagg (TSN)

"Poised to become the first Latvian-born prospect to be a first-round NHL draft choice. There's no worry about him adjusting to North
American life as he's played in the U.S. since he was 15. Slated to attend the University of Vermont next season. Strengths: A smart,
all-around player with size and skating ability. Good hands, heavy shot, tough and competitive, can play any style of game. A safe pick,
he will play in the NHL. Weaknesses: Some scouts question his offensive instincts and ability to create scoring opportunities. May not
be a top-two center at the NHL level. NHL upside: Has been compared to Colton Gillies, but with more offensive upside. The type of
player that will help an NHL club win a playoff series by playing a tough, two-way game. May have the intangibles to be a top two
centre."

Jack Barzee (Central Scouting)

"He plays right on the edge, plays an aggressive, physical game. He's played with injuries and has a lot of internal toughness. He's got
a great set of hands and is a team guy. I think the higher level he goes, the more he stands out, the more he puts people on the edge
of their seats because he can score and finish."

Pre-Draft News Articles

Zemgus Girgensons (HF)

C/LW Zemgus Girgensons - Dubuque Fighting Saints, USHL (2012 Draft) (HFB)

Zemgus Girgensons (THN)

Draft tracker: 5 questions with Zemgus Girgensons, Dubuque Fighting Saints (Y! Sports)

Zemgus Girgensons, #23 Dubuque – USHL (Reel Hockey Scouting)

The Latvian Locomotive (Dubuque Telegraph Herald)

Zemgus Girgensons – The Next Ones: 2012 NHL Draft Prospect Profile – The Latvian Locomotive (THW)

Top draft prospect Girgensons out with broken jaw (NHL.com)

Cinema… (Slightly Chilled)

NHL Draft Prospect Profile #15: Zemgus Girgensons (Last Word)

Zemgus Girgensons – NHL Draft Profile (TSR)

Draft Profile: No.16 – Zemgus Girgensons (The Score)

Intriguing pick for NHL draft: Zemgus Girgensons (USA Today)

Post-Draft News Articles

Girgensons brings intensity (TBN)

Sneddon confident Girgensons will be a Catamount (BFP)

The Legend of Zemgus (Sabres.com)

2012-13 Season Updates

... (...)

A/V CLUB

06/22: 14th Overall Pick (BUF): Zemgus Girgensons. <2:42>

06/22: Girgensons Reaction. <1:44>

06/22: Zemgus Girgensons Interview. <1:44>

06/22: Zemgus Girgensons Scrum. <3:35>

06/22: Sabres 14th Pick Overall Zemgus Girgensons on WGR. <4:01>

06/26: Dubuque Saints head coach Jim Montgomery describes Zemgus Girgensons. <11:00>

YOUTUBE

Last edited by Woodhouse: 06-29-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:13 PM
allsilverdreams

vCash: 500
omg way to nail it darcy
two of the best forwards in the draft

allsilverdreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:22 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
2nd pick ... Girgensons. How would that have sounded yesterday? Ridiculous.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:22 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Can play wing or center and plays a solid two game. Potential top 6 player. GREAT PICK.

WELCOME TO THE BUFFALO SABRES ZEMGUS GIRGENSONS

Wonder where he will play next year with the Sabres deciding

Last edited by JPurp26: 07-17-2013 at 09:10 PM.
JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Seanothan

This is 10x better than anything I could have hoped for

All hail Darth Regier!!

Seanothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:27 PM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Can play wing or center

Oh ****

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Honest, hard player... love this pick. Love it.

06-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Bill Hoppe‏@BillHoppeNHL

#Sabres Zemgus Girgensons: "I’m (a) skilled power forward, that’s for sure. I love to hit. I score. That’s my game."
awesomeness

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:31 PM
Zman5778

Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
I feel bad for RJ in the booth in a couple of years. Grigorenko and Girgensons? Hope they choose significantly different numbers.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:38 PM
sabresfan129103

it looks like zemgus94 is his twitter

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I also love this pick, along with Grigorenko. I'm so excited to have drafted two of the best centers in the draft. It's just unbelievable. Center could be a position of strength for us in years to come.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:47 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
it looks like zemgus94 is his twitter
That's him.
Been following him all year.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Sabres4life20

after watching that scene were gregeirson(probably misspelled) set up that nice goal after breaking his jaw, tells me he is exactly what sabres need. loveing the draft right now!

Sabres4life20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Girgensons has some serious ink, as well. They showed it in a TSN segment. It's somewhere on that website.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:23 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Girgensons has some serious ink, as well. They showed it in a TSN segment. It's somewhere on that website.
Here it is.

This guy will be a fan favorite.
Can't believe we got him either, even though he was my most realistic in September/October (and Grigs was my best player overall).

Old
06-22-2012, 10:25 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Yeah, we're pretty good at drafting, aren't we? This is awesome. Go Darth Regier, and lol Feaster.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:30 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
Yeah, we're pretty good at drafting, aren't we? This is awesome. Go Darth Regier, and lol Feaster.
Feaster may have gotten one of the best players in the draft in Jankowski.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:33 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Bakes tweet from talking with Devine -- Sabres were more worried the Caps would take Girgensons than Grigorenko based on what they viewed as the Caps needs.

Edit -
Quote:
SabresProspects Devine also said they were more concerned with Caps liking Girgensons than they were Grigorenko based on WAS depth chart.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:34 PM
JPurp26

A year of college would be good for him because with less games he will have more time putting weight on and getting stronger. It might be more beneficial than the AHL.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:38 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/...n-buffalo.html

He really didn’t come onto my radar until the world junior,” Devine said. “I really saw him and said, “This guy can play.’ I think they got beat, 14-0, by the Russians, and we were watching film on it and he was blocking shots with four minutes left in the game. I was shaking my head.”

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:40 PM
jfb392

Quote:
A year of college would be good for him because with less games he will have more time putting weight on and getting stronger. It might be more beneficial than the AHL.
I prefer him going to Kelowna or UVM rather than the Amerks.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:44 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
UVM would be my choice as well for the reason I said, less games more time to physically develop his tall frame.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Agreed. Just because he could go to the Amerks next year doesn't mean he should go to the Amerks next year. Let him mature, physically and emotionally, with his peer group. Let him grow and develop. Don't Novotny this kid.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:46 PM
jfb392

Quote:
UVM would be my choice as well for the reason I said, less games more time to physically develop his tall frame.
He's fairly ready physically, just needs to add some mass to his frame (measured 6'1'' 186 at the combine).
Kelowna has world class facilities and staff, so he'd be more than fine there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Agreed. Just because he could go to the Amerks next year doesn't mean he should go to the Amerks next year. Let him mature, physically and emotionally, with his peer group. Let him grow and develop. Don't Novotny this kid.
Yep, I just don't think the AHL is the kind of place an 18 year old should be playing in.
No prospect has really been hurt by taking their time, but plenty have been hurt by rushing things.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:52 PM
gallagt01

I was on board the Girgensons train since December or so. This kid can flat out game. I'm hoping his offensive game develops a bit more.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote