HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derrick Pouliot | Defenseman | Portland (WHL) | 1st Round, 8th overall

Old
06-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Jacob

vCash: 500
Well, unless he's in the NHL, he'll be back in the WHL to start the 2013 season.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:01 PM
Fogel
Analytics please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Lengthy profile on Pouliot on nhlmockdraft.org.

Cliff's notes:

Strengths: Offensive Acumen, Playmaking, Shooting, Skating, Hands, Puck-Moving
Weaknesses/Concerns: Physicality, Defensive Game, Consistency, Size, Strength
Projection: Middle-Pairing Puck-Moving Defenseman and Powerplay QB (15g, 50p potential)
A #3-4 is not what I would want out of a #8 pick. Ceiling should still be a 1st line forward or D in the single digit picks.

Fogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

He's 18 and has some big upside seems to me from those profiles.. Let's wait and see how we feel about it end of next season for him. If he's bigger, stronger, more consistent on the back end we may really have something good.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Pens1566

Seems like a reach and one at a position of strength in the org. already. Disappointed considering the players that were still on the board.

Pens1566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:04 PM
GlenngarryGlencross
Get the chalk!

Quote:

Cliff's notes:

Projection: Middle-Pairing Puck-Moving Defenseman and Powerplay QB (15g, 50p potential)
We already have all of those qualities in SPADES.

GlenngarryGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:05 PM
Burgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letang fan 58 View Post
Probably only 1 more in the WHL I would think. Won't have much left to learn at the WHL level by the time thats over. Unreal offensively, I sure hope he gets to play in some defensive situations next year though, because he wasnt allowed out there this year in them.
He can't play in the AHL before 2014-15, and I highly doubt he makes the Pens at 19. So it definitely will be two more seasons in juniors.

Burgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Karnage420

Quote:

Cliff's notes:

gotta love spending a top 8 pick on a player with middle pairing ceiling. cool story scouting staff.

Karnage420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:06 PM
sawtooth420

I'm really displeased we took him with the forward talent that was still on the board. How we pass over Forsberg or Grigs for another Paul Martin/Gogo is kind've absurd. So which PMD do we pick at 22 now? We just missed some serious offensive talent...

sawtooth420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:13 PM
Gooch

I hate the way Shero Drafts, and sure enough Washington gets the guy we shouldve.

Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:15 PM
AquaticBirdman
Gladams FTW!

I think Shero trageted him for a reason, and it's not because he has long term plans for him...

AquaticBirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

I dont know this guy, but when a consensus top 5 player was still on the board, the kind we need on the NHL team, it is one of those times you wonder whether BPA is always the way.... especially when you reach for yet another D-man.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
I dont know this guy, but when a consensus top 5 player was still on the board, the kind we need on the NHL team, it is one of those times you wonder whether BPA is always the way.... especially when you reach for yet another D-man.
Clearly Forsberg was far from a consensus top-5 guy. NHL teams don't go by Craig Button's top 30 or The Hockey News draft guide, like fans do.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:21 PM
HandshakeLine
is probso trolling u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
It's a gamble, sure. But so is drafting for need. As far as risk evaluation goes, I think I prefer BPA. You're not going to win every draft, but you're more likely to get players that actually become NHL players instead of a roster of underachievers.

People want scouting to be some sort of sabremetric voodoo science, but it's not. And anything that increases our odds in getting SOMETHING back is always good.

HandshakeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Mister Hockey

I liked the trade, but I thought for sure they were taking Forsberg. I would have, but I'm not Ray Shero.

Mister Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:34 PM
Karnage420

so what is this guy. 8.0D?

Karnage420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:35 PM
SteelFish87*

sounds like he is exacty like goligoski. Puke

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Chiquito

Quote:

Cliff's notes:

Points are not everything but if he scores 50 points that would be awesome and would put him top 5 for defensemen schoring this year. And the 15 goals would be the same. If that is true he would be one heck of a pick. And if he lives up to those stats he would be a top pairing. Pittsburgh will have a puck moving, mobile d-fence. Much Like RS days in Nashville.... Weber, Suter, ect...

Chiquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:41 PM
pensfansince88

another 'good skating' dman. what's new?

pensfansince88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

No idea why people care so much about projections. They are meaningless. The HF writeup on Jordan Staal in junior was a guy with great hands and playmaking skills. These kids aren't always what the experts claim and even if they are they will likely develop and change a bit before breaking into the league unless it's an elite NHL ready guy.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mr. T

Good chance he plays top pairing minutes with Seth Jones next season, for what it's worth.

Mr. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:44 PM
CrosbyMalkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelFish87 View Post
sounds like he is exacty like goligoski. Puke
Guys like Letang and Gogo did not go high and they turned out pretty good. SHERO knows how to pick defensemen and if he thinks this kid will be a stud who are we to second guess? Yes I wanted Forsberg also but I can live with it. The D prospects seemed to go and Shero has watched this kid a ton with Morrow as a team member.

CrosbyMalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
You Suck McBain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Clearly Forsberg was far from a consensus top-5 guy. NHL teams don't go by Craig Button's top 30 or The Hockey News draft guide, like fans do.
ISS ranked him 2nd. Central Scouting had him as the #1 Euro prospect (they don't do blended rankings). Bob McKenzie's rankings (a meta-ranking of various NHL scouts) had him at #3 overall.

These aren't just pool book predictions. They're legit scouting organizations and NHL scouts.

But it'll all come out in the wash. I'm just saying, when you go off the board like that, you better be sure. Otherwise you end up with Thomas Hickey.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:56 PM
Lamar Latrell

I've liked him once I started following Morrow this season. Although I still think this pick was a reach.

Lamar Latrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Lamar Latrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyMalkin View Post
Guys like Letang and Gogo did not go high and they turned out pretty good. SHERO knows how to pick defensemen and if he thinks this kid will be a stud who are we to second guess? Yes I wanted Forsberg also but I can live with it. The D prospects seemed to go and Shero has watched this kid a ton with Morrow as a team member.
CP selected both Letang and Goligoski.

Everyone here is aware that pre-draft rankings are imperfect. But you have to be absurdly confident in the Pens foresight to claim that taking a guy (Pouliot), at a position of strength, who is ranked lower than a player (Forsberg), in a position of need, in almost everyone's rankings.

It is not wrong to question this pick. At the very least they could have picked up more assets by moving down.

Shero and Co. are not omniscient.

Lamar Latrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Clearly there were 6 teams who didn't have him top5 other than us, but I think it is fair to say that he was that in the scouting community in general. Also ISS to mention the biggest, and then there's McKenzie's list which is based not on his own opinions, but rather reputed scouts.

Anyway, I have nothing against Pouliot. We have reason to believe that our scouts pick good players, not least D-men.
But when you create such a pile of D-men you also create an environment where you hurt their asset value, because we see it all the time that you only really get value for players post-draft when they prove themselves in the senior game, and our depth insures that many of these guys can't/won't be able to.

I am talking generalities here of course. With two years more in junior, likely, he might dominate there so much that his situation will look different.

Just disappointed that we had such a good player as Forsberg on our hands, a guy who would have a wide open spot as best forward prospect on our team and plays the kind of hockey we want in our forwards.... and went with more of the same - as good as that 'same' is.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote