HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick #20 - Scott Laughton, Center, Oshawa Generals (OHL)

Old
06-22-2012, 08:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Pick #20 - Scott Laughton, Center, Oshawa Generals (OHL)

Discuss. The player.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:48 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1447
http://oshawagenerals.com/roster/show/id/7447

Quote:
After being selected 3rd overall in the 2010 OHL Priority Selection by the Generals, Scott Laughton has done some big things. He had a fine rookie season for the Generals a year ago, he was an Assistant Captain on Ontario’s Gold Medal winning Under-17 team last Christmas and he scored the game winning goal for Canada in the Gold Medal game at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Under-18 Tournament this past August. Look for the aggressive two-way centre to have a big season as he is considered a top prospect for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft next June.
  • Hometown: Oakville, ON
  • Birthdate: 1994-05-30
  • Height 6.01"
  • Weight 178
  • Shoots/Catches: Left
  • Position: Centre

Favourites:
  • NHL Team: Toronto Maple Leafs
  • Player: Mike Richards
  • Movie: The Other Guys
  • Band/Singer: Carrie Underwood
  • TV Show: Sportscentre
  • Colour: Red
  • Video Game: NHL 11
  • Pump Up Song: New Noise- Refused

----------------------------------------------

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/...Scott_Laughton

Quote:
The Oshawa Generals center scored just three goals in his first 25 games, dropping off from consideration as a solid first-round candidate for the 2012 NHL Entry Draft in Pittsburgh June 22. After some internal juggling in November got the club jump started in the right direction, Laughton’s production took off. Laughton finished the year with 18 markers in his last 39 contests, but his real impact was not felt until he suited up for Team Canada at the World Under-18 Championship in Brno, Czech Republic last April.

“I was gripping the stick tight and things weren’t going my way,” Laughton told New England Hockey Journal. “As the season went on, we had a coaching change and I got a fresh start. I was getting power play minutes and then got a tremendous boost getting to skate on a line with (Christian) Thomas and (Andy) Andreoff. That really got things going in the right direction, because both are great players with a lot of skill and experience in our league."

Laughton’s Generals squad felt the disappointment of being knocked out in the first round of the playoffs, but as the old adage goes: when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. The Oakville, Ontario native did exactly that, establishing himself as Canada’s top forward at the tournament, grabbing the attention of scouts and observers with his energy and clutch play.

“The Under 18s was the finishing touch,” Laughton told New England Hockey Journal when asked to characterize his feelings heading into the draft. “It isn’t a secret that I had a bit of a rough start, but as my team came together I was able to have more success offensively. By the time I had the opportunity to play for Team Canada, I felt pretty good about my game and was able to capitalize on being surrounded with some great players.”
----------------------------------------------
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/juniorhoc...rhockey,wp6283

Quote:
Draft tracker: 5 questions with Scott Laughton, Oshawa Generals

1. You have often cited Mike Richards as a player you try to model your game upon. Why him?

"I think he just plays the right way. He's a good Canadian guy who always seems to play well near the end of the season, plays in playoffs. He wins draws, he's on the penalty kill, he does everything to help his team win. He's a leader and that's why I look up to him."

2. In your mind, what would scouts say is the biggest area of your game you have to improve before you can turn pro, aside from the obvious like improving speed and strength?

"I think I just my offensive game and my creativity. I think I have shown that in the past couple games. Obviously speed is a big one, too, going to the next level everyone."

3. Outside of family, who has had the most impact on your hockey development?

"Probably my [Toronto Marlboros] minor hockey coach, Dan Brown. He coached me for seven years. He's taught me everything about the game and just everything I know today."

4. When you were very young you went in goal and apparently it did not work out so well?

"Ya, I always wanted to be a goalie but it didn't work out. I was bad. I definitely let in a couple weak ones and allowed double-digit goals. I was about six or seven at the time. I kept asking my dad and he wouldn't let me. I think I was just having fun."

5. What is the worst movie you have ever watched on the team bus?

"This year's been pretty bad movies. We've watched the same ones a couple times. We've watched Blue Crush a couple times. It's pretty bad."
---------------------------------------

NHL/Flyers:

----------------------------------------

http://gcobb.com/2012/06/22/philadel...cott-laughton/

Quote:
Laughton was a bit of a surprise when his name was called, but scouting reports suggest that this is a player who fits very well in the “Flyers mold.” Laughton, a teammate of the Flyers’ 2011 4th round pick Colin Suellentrop on the Oshawa Generals, is a defensive-minded two-way center. He doesn’t have a towering build or elite offensive skills, but his character and overall play suggest he’ll have a very long NHL career.

From Sean Lafortune, director of scouting at TheScout.ca: “Laughton may be the smartest, most competitive draft eligible player for the NHL Draft. He always brings a high complete level, and is the kind of player who is willing to do whatever it takes to win. He will block a shot, make a strong offensive play, back check or drop the gloves if it could equal team success… There isn’t a lot not to like about Scott Laughton. He has everything you look for in a centre at the next level.”

In other words, he projects to be a very good second or third line center. The Flyers don’t necessarily have a “need” for another center, but at the end of the day, it’s better that they took a respectable pick than a stretch one. Laughton has been described as a good candidate for future NHL captain, so it’s easy to see why Holmgren selected him at the position he did.

Laughton finished the 2011-12 OHL season with 21 goals and 53 points in 64 games played.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-22-2012 at 09:25 PM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:48 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

vCash: 500
fought Tom Wilson once upon a time

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
I trust the Flyers' scouts to get it right in the first round. I just hope we go D for something like 3 of our 4 next picks.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:52 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
From Craig Button:

Quote:
Scott is not going to overwhelm you in any one area of the game but he's going to contribute to winning in all areas of the game. He has excellent hockey sense and is capable of playing any situation in the game. He is smart defensively. He is smart offensively. He can adjust to different circumstances and excel. He leaves himself in strong position on the ice so he's always ready to make the appropriate play for the situation. He's a competitor who is tenacious and has an edge to his game and he will assert himself. He's a good skater with strong balance and he has the agility that allows him to move side-to-side and open room for himself which also gives him better options for passing. He has an under rated shot and can beat goaltenders from out because he doesn't telegraph his shot and he's always aware of passing options and that holds goaltenders in the net who have to be aware of the potential for that pass. A very effective, determined player who will do whatever is necessary to help the team win.
Sounds like a player you win championships with.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
http://oshawagenerals.com/roster/show/id/7447

• Hometown: Oakville, ON
  • Birthdate: 1994-05-30
  • Height 6.01"
  • Weight 178
  • Shoots/Catches: Left
  • Position: Centre
  • Favourites:

• NHL Team: Toronto Maple Leafs

• Player: Mike Richards
  • Movie: The Other Guys

• Band/Singer: Carrie Underwood
  • TV Show: Sportscentre
  • Colour: Red
  • Video Game: NHL 11
  • Pump Up Song: New Noise- Refused

http://hockeyjournal.com/blog/kirks/...Scott_Laughton
lol at the first two. The third...just no.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:53 PM
usahockey22flyers
Classic Coburn...

Really like the player, wanted Maatta though.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:55 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Scott Laughton #20 Overall 2012 Draft

Info from NHL.com

•Laughton ranked fifth on Oshawa with 53 points (21-32--53), and third on the team with 101 penalty minutes, during the 2011-12 season. He added five points (2-3--5) in six postseason contests.

•Laughton represented Canada at the 2011 Under-18 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament and scored the game-winning goal in the gold-medal game. He also won gold with Team Ontario at the 2011 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge, where he finished the tournament with five points (two goals, three assists) in six games.

•A Toronto Marlboros minor hockey product, he won the GTHL championship and the Ontario Bantam championship in 2008-09 alongside fellow NHL Draft prospects Scott Kosmachuk and Matia Marcantuoni; Laughton was named MVP and Top Forward.

•He had 95 points (45-50--95) in 76 games for the Marlboros during the 2009-10 season. Laughton also scored five points (3-2--5) in seven games during the 2010 OHL Cup Showcase Tournament as Toronto lost in the championship game.

•Laughton has competed on Team Ontario’s lacrosse squad (2006 and 2008). His father, Craig, also played lacrosse for Team Canada.

FAVORITES

NHL player: Shane Doan, Mike Richards
NHL team: Toronto Maple Leafs
Shootout move: Forehand to backhand
Goal celebration: Celebrate with the guys
Video game: NHL 12
Movie: The Other Guys
TV show: Sportscentre
Actor: Will Ferrell
Cartoon character: Bugs Bunny
Pump-up song: “Levels” – Avicii
Restaurant: Jack Astor’s
Sport (other than hockey): Lacrosse
Breakfast food: Eggs and bacon
Superhero: Spiderman

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:57 PM
i am dave

Really, when was the last time they "busted" with a 1st round pick? Woywitka in 2001? Even then, he was moved well before he didn't quite pan out to be a top-tier defenseman.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 08:59 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
Really, when was the last time they "busted" with a 1st round pick? Woywitka in 2001? Even then, he was moved well before he didn't quite pan out to be a top-tier defenseman.
1999 is the last time we just bombed on a player in round one.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
lol at the first two. The third...just no.
The movie? I'm not familiar with it.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

I like it.

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post
JVR count?

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:02 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The movie? I'm not familiar with it.
he means the bold

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
If the people who are here stay here as we all hope, someone's moving and staying at the wing

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:03 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Giroux
Couturier
Schenn
Laughton
Cousins

Hmmm

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:03 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'm content......I trust in the pick. I just want us to address the D somehow..one way or another.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:04 PM
BernieParent

Biggest Weakness: Isn't a defenseman whose last name looks like it's half braille.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:05 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Giroux
Couturier
Schenn
Laughton
Cousins

Hmmm
If we have to move Schenn..dangle him for Weber.....I like Yandle but ......

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Giroux
Couturier
Schenn
Laughton
Cousins

Hmmm
A bunch of annoying centers. lol.

I believe Schenn will be getting moved unless he goes to the wing.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:09 PM
daynus

to start off the boos we received in pitts

were most awesome. made me feel great. homer starts off thanking the pitts fans, then the name roles out. scott laughton. and with the euphoria of the boos, man i was pretty stooked. great pick. this guy can do it all, block shots, take out the other teams top guys, good skater, has some offense. is a coaches dream, he does his job, with a high level of intensity, very focused. gonna be a great team guy. welcome to philly, scott.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:10 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 0
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
Giroux
Couturier
Schenn
Laughton
Cousins

Hmmm
Cousins is a winger in the NHL, he can be a better pest at wing, and his size isn't ideally suited to center. It's likely Schenn and Cousins on the wing in the future. G needs his space at center to be his best offensively, and Couturier/Laughton will use their defensive abilities, size, and offense abilities to make a nice 2-3 combo for the future.

Another thing that cannot be understated is that this guy is the perfect Laviolette player. Fast, tenacious, defensively responsible, and some offensive ability.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:11 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynus View Post
were most awesome. made me feel great. homer starts off thanking the pitts fans, then the name roles out. scott laughton. and with the euphoria of the boos, man i was pretty stooked. great pick. this guy can do it all, block shots, take out the other teams top guys, good skater, has some offense. is a coaches dream, he does his job, with a high level of intensity, very focused. gonna be a great team guy. welcome to philly, scott.
Yes, indeed, he has all the makings of a solid mid- to late 2nd round pick for a team with a need for Centre depth.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Schenn10

Sounds just like Mike Richards, welcome to Philly

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:16 PM
litflyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
A bunch of annoying centers. lol.

I believe Schenn will be getting moved unless he goes to the wing.
Not sure how close Laughton is to playing in the NHL but I would love to see a line of JVR-Couturier-Giroux. Laughton sounds like a Mike Richards/Ryan Callahan style player let him take over Couturier defensive responsibilities on the bottom lines.

litflyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote