HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks draft F Brendan Gaunce 1st Round, 26th Overall

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
  #26
ChemicalHansen
Registered User
 
ChemicalHansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,971
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Good summary of scouting reports on Gaunce:

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/6/...g-report-video

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:41 PM
  #27
AmazingNuck
Registered User
 
AmazingNuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,130
vCash: 500
How long do we have to wait to see him play regular season NHL games for us? I'm guessing he's not NHL ready this year.

AmazingNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:41 PM
  #28
WonderTwinsUnite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Delta, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,509
vCash: 500
The best part of this pick: we get to watch Canada with Canuck-goggles for the first the first time since Hodgson.

WonderTwinsUnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:41 PM
  #29
Tiranis
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
Admittedly, I haven't seen him play, but I'm a bit confused with the questionable offensive upside being said of Gaunce. Put up a PPG on a low scoring team when there weren't a whole lot of CHL players in this draft to hit that type of production.
I think he gets a bit underrated because he doesn't have top end skill. He knows what he's doing offensively and has good head for the game. Always in the right spot. I think sometimes those hands can come later for these types of players. His production was excellent and that should bode well for him going forward.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:41 PM
  #30
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,726
vCash: 500
I like guys with this type of character. You know he is going to work hard to be as good as he can be by just listening to him for 30 seconds. Looks like he has a lethal shot too.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:42 PM
  #31
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,516
vCash: 500
I am very satisfied with this pick. He fits right into our prospect pool for need and was BPA.

Could be ready earlier than expected a la Ryan OReilly. 2 years as a conservative estimate.

More analysis when I get home.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:42 PM
  #32
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,632
vCash: 500
What to like about his numbers:

- PPG this year, scored 17 more points than anyone else on his team. Bellville was the third lowest scoring team in the league, so to pull out a PPG is pretty solid.

- His numbers weren't inflated by big time PP production - only 5 of 28 goals came on the PP.

- Sounds like he's a tough minutes player for Bellville, so his +4 on a bad team is impressive.

- His NHLE was tied for 6th best in the draft for first year eligibles at 10-15-25. The players ahead of him: Yakupov, Hertl, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, and Faksa. He was tied with Girgensons and Bozon.


Last edited by pitseleh: 06-22-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: 6th, not 5th
pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:43 PM
  #33
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!
 
Balls Mahoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: +7 495 695-37-76
Country: United States
Posts: 11,687
vCash: 500



Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:43 PM
  #34
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by keslerburrows View Post
I like guys with this type of character. You know he is going to work hard to be as good as he can be by just listening to him for 30 seconds. Looks like he has a lethal shot too.
We also liked Hodgsons character.

I sure hope Gillis interviewed his Dad too.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:43 PM
  #35
keslerburrows
Registered User
 
keslerburrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vernon, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
What to like about his numbers:

- PPG this year, scored 17 more points than anyone else on his team. Bellville was the third lowest scoring team in the league, so to pull out a PPG is pretty solid.

- His numbers weren't inflated by big time PP production - only 5 of 28 goals came on the PP.

- Sounds like he's a tough minutes player for Bellville, so his +4 on a bad team is impressive.

- His NHLE was tied for 5th best in the draft for first year eligibles at 10-15-25. The players ahead of him: Yakupov, Hertl, Grigorenko, Galchenyuk, and Faksa. He was tied with Girgensons and Bozon.
Great signs. Keep the analysis coming boys.

keslerburrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:44 PM
  #36
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
The best part of this pick: we get to watch Canada with Canuck-goggles for the first the first time since Hodgson.
Was just going to post this. Yay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis
I think he gets a bit underrated because he doesn't have top end skill. He knows what he's doing offensively and has good head for the game. Always in the right spot. I think sometimes those hands can come later for these types of players. His production was excellent and that should bode well for him going forward.
Yea, seems like he's a workman-like player that will get a lot of his production from within 10 feet of the net while also being a solid two-way player.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:46 PM
  #37
cc
Registered User
 
cc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,064
vCash: 500
I was surprised to see him drop so to where the Canucks could pick him. In fact, the guys I liked skjei and Finn both dropped way more than I thought

cc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:47 PM
  #38
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater
 
shortshorts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc View Post
I was surprised to see him drop so to where the Canucks could pick him. In fact, the guys I liked skjei and Finn both dropped way more than I thought
Was very surprised Skjei dropped. He's going to be a good 2nd pairing D in the NHL.

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:48 PM
  #39
Tim Calhoun
Troll *********
 
Tim Calhoun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Country: Mexico
Posts: 7,959
vCash: 325
Very happy with this. Gaunce is pretty much a typical Gillis pick. Hopefully he breaks out offensively in his next two years of junior.

Also, why doesn't Gillis ever announce the pick himself? This year and last year it was Gilman, before that Luongo, and before that Tambellini.

Tim Calhoun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:48 PM
  #40
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,501
vCash: 1512
Supposedly the most physically mature player in this draft. Solid pick, very happy.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:50 PM
  #41
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,712
vCash: 500
Some people know me here. I'm a Habs fan who cheers for the Canucks second.

I was hoping to move up to grab Gaunce, but I'm glad my second favourite team drafted him.

I saw Gaunce play about 25 times last year. He's the real deal. The reason he dropped so far is not his fault - it's his teams fault. Besides Subban and Gaunce, they had nothing to work with. Seriously, Gaunce carried that team to the playoffs with Subban in net. The Bulls suck.

I had him in my Top-12.

Great pick.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:50 PM
  #42
Socratic Method Man
Weise's Lost Lunch
 
Socratic Method Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 622
Skilled center with questionable speed?

Guys, we just got Cody Hodgson back into our organization, except upgraded with size and toughness. And at an age where he'll be able to grow with the team and hopefully take over a 2nd line center position just as Henrik/Kesler get a bit long in the tooth.

And in a weak draft too!

Now my only question is how many agents has Gaunce had...

Socratic Method Man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:50 PM
  #43
kthsn
Registered User
 
kthsn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 1785
From his twitter it appears he's a Leafs fan.

Quote:
Brendan Gaunce ‏@BrendanGaunce16

Leafs with another win! Third period was unreal, the place was going nuts the whole last 10 mins #goleafsgo
Rielly is a Canucks fan.

Trade?


kthsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:53 PM
  #44
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
I saw Gaunce play about 25 times last year. He's the real deal. The reason he dropped so far is not his fault - it's his teams fault. Besides Subban and Gaunce, they had nothing to work with. Seriously, Gaunce carried that team to the playoffs with Subban in net. The Bulls suck.
Plus I think there were at least three picks off the board. So that helped him drop to us a bit too.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:53 PM
  #45
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,501
vCash: 1512
I think Gaunce has a very good chance of being a top 6 forward. I think perhaps Gaunce playing on a pretty poor team (where he had 17 more pts then the next guy....) may hurt his potential in peoples eyes.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:53 PM
  #46
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat
 
Huntershin Karuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,477
vCash: 500
I've heard something about a hot chick in a white dress next to Gaunce when he was drafted...awaiting video evidence.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:54 PM
  #47
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,501
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post
From his twitter it appears he's a Leafs fan.



Rielly is a Canucks fan.

Trade?

This could explain his facial expression when we drafted him.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:54 PM
  #48
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Plus I think there were at least three picks off the board. So that helped him drop to us a bit too.
Well earlier the season, he was expected to go Top-10. But his team just seemed to stop giving him support as the season wore on (a few of the younger guys seemed to die off likely due to fatigue), so he dropped huge in rankings alone.

Take it from me, a guy who watched him play plenty of times. You guys got a really good player.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:56 PM
  #49
PG Canuck
Global Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,501
vCash: 1512
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalHansen View Post
Good summary of scouting reports on Gaunce:

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/6/...g-report-video
From this article:

Quote:
Gaunce is physically mature and could be just a year away from being NHL ready.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 09:56 PM
  #50
Bgav
We Stylin'
 
Bgav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,101
vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Some people know me here. I'm a Habs fan who cheers for the Canucks second.

I was hoping to move up to grab Gaunce, but I'm glad my second favourite team drafted him.

I saw Gaunce play about 25 times last year. He's the real deal. The reason he dropped so far is not his fault - it's his teams fault. Besides Subban and Gaunce, they had nothing to work with. Seriously, Gaunce carried that team to the playoffs with Subban in net. The Bulls suck.

I had him in my Top-12.

Great pick.
liking this pick even more!

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.