HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round I, Pick #28: Brady Skjei, D

Old
06-22-2012, 11:07 PM
gravey9

vCash: 500
If you look past Erixon and McIlrath, the Rangers have almost no sure-fire NHL d-men in the pipeline. (Klassen, Noreau, Ceresnak?) This is actually an area they needed depth in organizationally. And as we saw in the playoffs, three of the most effective Rangers were Hagelin, Kreider and McDonagh - arguably the three best skaters on the team. It's hard to pass up a player that has such a nice combo of size + skating. Hopefully the hockey IQ thing will work itself out (they said that about Kreider). Regardless, I'm not sure there were any sure-fire impact offensive players at our draft position.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Michael Del Zotto ‏@MichaelDelZotto

@BradySkjei Welcome to the blueshirts! Congrats on the draft! #futuredrow
Hope this guy becomes another McDonagh...

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
RangerBlues

You can never have too much defense in the pipeline.

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:10 PM
RangersFan

Send a message via AIM to RangersFan Send a message via MSN to RangersFan
beautiful skating from what I see in the videos. I have no problem with the pick. Can never have too much D, as we saw with Bickel, Eminger, Woywitka and Anton (even though he was good). it's a huge crap shoot that late in the 1st, I have no problem taking the Dman with good upside than a bottom 6 forward (that is if he even makes it to the nhl). Rangers have a lot of D assets which is a good thing when they are looking to make a trade. This is a good problem to have, it's unrealistic to think Staal, Girardi, McD, and MDZ will be a core four that remains for years, anything can happen, injury, trade, FA, diminished skills. Look at what happened to Sauer, anything can happen. Not gonna pretend like I know much about all the players who were available at the pick, but watching clips of Skjei he is one smooth skating d-man with size.

RangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
If you look past Erixon and McIlrath, the Rangers have almost no sure-fire NHL d-men in the pipeline. (Klassen, Noreau, Ceresnak?) This is actually an area they needed depth in organizationally. And as we saw in the playoffs, three of the most effective Rangers were Hagelin, Kreider and McDonagh - arguably the three best skaters on the team. It's hard to pass up a player that has such a nice combo of size + skating. Hopefully the hockey IQ thing will work itself out (they said that about Kreider). Regardless, I'm not sure there were any sure-fire impact offensive players at our draft position.
I actually said the same thing about the Rangers defensive depth in the prospect group to my dad a couple of months ago and predicted we would take a D. I forgot about that until just now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Hope this guy becomes another McDonagh...
Future Drow? Does Del Zotto think he's a dark elf?

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:13 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I actually said the same thing about the Rangers defensive depth in the prospect group to my dad a couple of months ago and predicted we would take a D. I forgot about that until just now.

Future Drow? Does Del Zotto think he's a dark elf?
As long as he's not Drizzt...I hate that ****er.

Really like what we look for in kids. Slowly but surely we're building our team into a team of guys who are really smooth skaters.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:13 PM
Baby Punisher

I know nearly nothing about this draft to have an opinion other than, wow another 1st rounder spent on a defensemen.

With the recent sucesses we have had in the draft I have to defer to Glen & Gordie on this one.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:14 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Really like the player - great skater, great athlete.

Kind of wary of sending a kid to develop at the U of M. As odd as that may be to say.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:15 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Well, I wanted a forward or a trade back, so I was a bit disappointed when I heard this kid's name. But, I've learned to trust Gordie and Gorton, so it made me wonder why I hadn't seen more of the knowledgeable posters pushing for him. And it appears that no one thought he'd be available this late - all the mocks had him going 15-25 or so.

I do like what I read about him - big and perhaps the best skater in the draft? Sign me up.

More importantly, does this make it that much easier to trade a defenseman for a forward that can help the big club...?

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:16 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by o 16 Avery NYR o View Post
surprised more people aren't flipping out that we didn't draft a forward. I like him, hopefully he develops into a great d-man
Oh they are...you're just in the wrong thread.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

size and mobility is awesome at #28. impressed with the pick. didn't even notice him before they picked him. skating is likely going to be great. size is a huge plus. he'll be up when staal (if staal) goes to carolina

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

The last time the Rangers took the best skater in the draft, and a lot of people hated it while Jonathan loved it, he turned into Chris Kreider.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:18 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
As long as he's not Drizzt...I hate that ****er.
How could you hate Drizzt???

Old
dmjt4160

Great stuff to start with given his size and skating and you have a few years to refine and shore up the other areas of his game.

dmjt4160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mti79

Would I have liked a forward who can score? Sure, they look better on paper. However, I also know that I am currently a 32 year old nurse who is looking forward to getting married in September. The Rangers have a bunch of people they employ whose job is to evaluate talent and draft the people they think will be the best fit for the organization for years to come. I'm not one of them. I'll defer to their expertise...

Welcome Brady Skjei!

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:19 PM
eco's bones

He's a good three years away I think. And to expect him to reach McDonagh's level is a bit much--which doesn't mean he can't be a very effective player. It seems he has some things to work on--but his size and skating are both excellent so there's a real framework to work with. Fill out some and get stronger--more aggressive. It sounds to me like he's going to be more of a stay at home and he's most effective when he keeps everything simple.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:21 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
He's a good three years away I think. And to expect him to reach McDonagh's level is a bit much--which doesn't mean he can't be a very effective player. It seems he has some things to work on--but his size and skating are both excellent so there's a real framework to work with. Fill out some and get stronger--more aggressive. It sounds to me like he's going to be more of a stay at home and he's most effective when he keeps everything simple.
He'll be a 3 year player, I think. Plus a year in the AHL. I'd say at least 4 years out unless he somehow develops exponentially (and with that size and speed it is a possibility).

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:24 PM
rickyrod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards to Gaborik View Post
All I know is his last name looks like a name Sam Rosen will mess up for years.
What are you talking about? Rosen goes to every player and asks how they want their name pronounced.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:26 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Extremely satisfied with the pick. Would have liked either him or Thrower from the D, and we got Skjei.

SML

FACT: We have a great young D core.
Disturbing fact: Somebody is either going to blow one of them away with an offer when it's possible, or we're going to have to move a guy because we're going to lose him or he's getting pushed out by a younger, cheaper guy.

It's good that we're already aquiring pieces to fix that.
Never a bad thing to be thinking like a chess player vs a checker player.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Hmmm... reading the scouting report and considering how many d-men were picked in the first round, it sounds as if he should have been picked higher? He's an excellent skater with a great frame, and a two way game. How was he not picked earlier? What's the catch??? lol

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:28 PM
Sparksrus3

You guys have nothing to worry about with pronunciations. I have Butch Goring trying to say Lubimir
Visnovsky.

Sparksrus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I'm so excited that he's going to U of Minnesota. I'll be there in 2 years and will be able to watch an NYR prospect on a regular basis. I'll be giving you guys lots of updates when the time comes.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He'll be a 3 year player, I think. Plus a year in the AHL. I'd say at least 4 years out unless he somehow develops exponentially (and with that size and speed it is a possibility).
Thats what most people projected for McIlrath, a 4 year time line. Im fine with it.

06-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Gardner McKay
#4parsley

vCash: 700
This could have been so much worse. At least we didn't do something mildly retarded like Calgary did.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote