Notices

We can get a top 4 forward in 2013

Old
06-22-2012, 10:45 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

vCash: 50
We can get a top 4 forward in 2013

There are a lot of people saying we should have taken a forward(most likely Flip Forsberg) because we needed scroing, but that is ok because there is the 2013 draft(which many say is the deepest draft in a while). I think our pick next year will we higher than 9 overall(if we don't do anything big) because if you look at the teams that have improved. Carolina has gotten Jordan Staal and they we will be likely making a push for the playoffs and the stanley cup(they had 82 points this year, won't likely be the case for next year, they should have more points), Montreal had a down year but under new management they proably will pushing for the playoffs(they had 78 points this year, will likely be better than that), Tampa Bay has gotten a goaltender(Lindback) and they have a good team so they will likely have more points than this year(this year they had 84 points, same as the jets but they are a wildcard), If the Toronto Maple Leafs get Roberto Luongo they proably will do better than this season(this season they had 80 points), Buffalo Sabres will also be better, the Islanders might do a little better and in the west I think Anaheim, Minnesota and Edmonton might have better years, than this one. That leaves the Jets with a top 5 pick come next draft, so we will have a good chance at a great player a forward(preferably) or a D-man. Look I am not saying that is a good thing to be a basement team but TNSE has said they want to build through the draft and with the other teams in the leauge(which I have noted above) improving it just means we get a very high pick and we a take a big step closer to being Stanley Cup contenders. And if we really want to get creative we can let's Pavs go and play in KHL for one year(if he has a 1 year offer) and take our chances at Nathan MacKinnon.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:47 PM
Sweech
COYS!

We were 12th in the league in scoring. I'd rather have the puck NOT go into our net so much.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:06 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
We were 12th in the league in scoring. I'd rather have the puck NOT go into our net so much.

Then get a really good D-man in 2013. Trouba is going to be good but I really hope after 1 year of college he goes to the CHL or AHL, would be really good for his development.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
Then get a really good D-man in 2013. Trouba is going to be good but I really hope after 1 year of college he goes to the CHL or AHL, would be really good for his development.
We still might grab a d-man again in 2013 and the fanbase might go bonkers.

BPA all the time.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:55 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
We still might grab a d-man again in 2013 and the fanbase might go bonkers.

BPA all the time.

The point is that with 4-5 teams really improving we might have a chance at a top 5 pick and you can choose who ever you like.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Sweech
COYS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
The point is that with 4-5 teams really improving we might have a chance at a top 5 pick and you can choose who ever you like.
It's not always as fluid as that.

There may be times when it's like that, but usually scouts are sold on one player above another.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:27 AM
untouchable21
You've been TROUBA'D

vCash: 500
Not to mention, in addition to the possibility of our 1st being a top 5, the JETS will also hold two 2nd rounders plus a third 2nd if they receive a compensatory pick for not signing Daultan Leveille and two 3rd rounders.

Add to that the probability that one or both of Hainsey/Antropov will garner significant interest (perhaps a late 1st) at the Trade Deadline and it's not a stretch to think the Jets would be looking at perhaps 8 or more picks in the top 90 next year.

Smart drafting in a supposedly strong draft will alleviate so many depth issues within the Organization.

untouchable21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Bob E

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable21 View Post
Not to mention, in addition to the possibility of our 1st being a top 5, the JETS will also hold two 2nd rounders plus a third 2nd if they receive a compensatory pick for not signing Daultan Leveille and two 3rd rounders.

Add to that the probability that one or both of Hainsey/Antropov will garner significant interest (perhaps a late 1st) at the Trade Deadline and it's not a stretch to think the Jets would be looking at perhaps 8 or more picks in the top 90 next year.

Smart drafting in a supposedly strong draft will alleviate so many depth issues within the Organization.
Yup. Agree 100%. I think we're moving in the right direction. Jets need to continue to fill the prospects cupboard with quality players.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:40 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Fallin' for MacKinnon. Let's get on it.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:58 AM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 6159
Quote:

I think they'll flip Hainsey and/or Antropov for picks. They say they want the team to be competitive now and in the long run - and it's great that they try to build that culture of competitiveness early - but I think they're taking a longterm approach with the team. Both years there were more NHL-ready players and they went with who they thought had the higher ceiling in the long run - not saying Forsberg is NHL ready obviously, but it applies to some of the other players Trouba was taken over and certainly applies to Scheifele over Couturier.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:02 AM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:

Did not even think about that, that is pretty good. I think Hainsey at the deadline can certainly get a late first rounder.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:06 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Fallin' for MacKinnon. Let's get on it.
Mail In for MacKinnon!

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:16 AM
Becel
I Hate Jamie Macoun

You're making us look worse than Leaf fans starting this tank thread a year before next year's draft.

Becel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:22 AM
JetsCameHome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reims View Post
You're making us look worse than Leaf fans starting this tank thread a year before next year's draft.
Have the Jets done anything yet to improve for next year? I don't see much happening in UFA that changes that for us.

JetsCameHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:46 AM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
Mail In for MacKinnon!
No winnin' for MacKinnon?

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:48 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganhunter View Post
love it!

Old
06-23-2012, 11:50 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsCameHome View Post
Have the Jets done anything yet to improve for next year? I don't see much happening in UFA that changes that for us.
So?

Why do so many people to have to be so impatient with this team.

No matter who we drafted, and who we sign, we would be lucky to make the playoffs.
Let alone win the cup.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:52 AM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Love it!

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Bob E

Quote:
hahaha... Next yr is crazy for forwards.

MacKinnon
Barkov
Monahan
Shinkaruk
Duclair
Erne
Rychel
Lazar
Sorensen
Domi
etc.

Some good forwards and dmen with Jones, Subban, Pulock, Ristolainen, Bowey - lots to choose from.

If you can parlay Antropov and Hainsey into a late 1st round pick (or more likely 2nd rd +), next year can really be a year that changes the fortunes of the Winnipeg Jets.

Bob E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:18 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob E View Post
hahaha... Next yr is crazy for forwards.

MacKinnon
Barkov
Monahan
Shinkaruk
Duclair
Erne
Rychel
Lazar
Sorensen
Domi
etc.

Some good forwards and dmen with Jones, Subban, Pulock, Ristolainen, Bowey - lots to choose from.

If you can parlay Antropov and Hainsey into a late 1st round pick (or more likely 2nd rd +), next year can really be a year that changes the fortunes of the Winnipeg Jets.

I think MacKinnon is the #1 overall but Alexsander Barkov and Sean Monahan will also be great forward and if you want a D-man Seth Jones looks great and he also part the US Under 18 USHL, where Trouba is from. And in 2014 you have Sam Reinhart coming up.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:29 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reims View Post

We are just building through the draft.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:52 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

The southeast division will be tougher next year no doubt. So Cheveldayoff will continue to draft the best player available where ever we end up. Even if pavs doesn't stay, I really don't believe we're a bottom 5 team.

As for Free Agent signings, team's like us use that route for adding depth and experience for the 3rd and 4th lines. We'll get to the top one day. And it'll be glorious!

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:08 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post
The southeast division will be tougher next year no doubt. So Cheveldayoff will continue to draft the best player available where ever we end up. Even if pavs doesn't stay, I really don't believe we're a bottom 5 team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorsedge View Post

As for Free Agent signings, team's like us use that route for adding depth and experience for the 3rd and 4th lines. We'll get to the top one day. And it'll be glorious!

I respectfully disagree, if Pavs goes to the KHL and with teams in the southwest improving, we would be a lottery team.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:11 PM
turbodaze

Jordan Staal is good but I'm sorry he isn't going to give the Hurricanes a playoff push and a Stanley Cup chance lol.

turbodaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:18 PM
viper0220
Go Jets Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodaze View Post
Jordan Staal is good but I'm sorry he isn't going to give the Hurricanes a playoff push and a Stanley Cup chance lol.

With Jordan Staal the Canes will be better than they were this year and July 1 still has to come(they can sign a big name on July 1) but I think they are a playoff teeam with E. Staal, J. Staal, Cam Ward, Jeff Skinner. I think they just need to get better defensely, which I think they will through ufa but they will be a better team than this year.