HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Starr / McGuire

Old
06-22-2012, 04:33 PM
HCH

vCash: 500
PM has been around long enough to know better. He makes a half assed statement that Edmonton should ask for Subban and the 3rd overall for the 1st overall and "other assets." Then he expects it shouldn't be taken out of context. He deserves all the flak he gets for making a vague statement about one of our prime assets and then expecting no repercussions.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
Not much I can do about that.

Still not sure what you are arguing here. That he suggested that Steve Tambellini call up Marc Bergevin and propose the first overall "and something else" for PK Subban and the third overall is beyond dispute. So why in the heck would he say that - repeatedly - on national television if he didn't think it was a fair deal?? You yourself said that he shouldn't have proposed it if he knew it was pointless from Montreal's side of things. You yourself also said that he could have suggested Crosby and a 1st rounder, but he didn't. So you tell me, why DIDN'T he suggest Crosby and a 1st rounder? Because it's stupid, right? Because it makes no sense from Pittsburgh's point of view, even though, ostensibly, McGuire was speaking from Edmonton's point of view? He didn't say Crosby and a 1st rounder because he didn't believe it was a fair deal.

So why would he suggest Subban and the 3rd overall, if he also didn't think that was a fair deal?? NOW let me put some words in McGuire's mouth: "I'm gonna suggest a stupid deal on national television that totally fleeces Montreal, a deal I would never make had I of been named general manager of the Canadiens, because..."

Well, because why?
You're a delivering an ass-whooping clinic on McGuire fanboys and I am loving it.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 04:38 PM
HabFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
You're a delivering an ass-whooping clinic on McGuire fanboys and I am loving it.
May I suggest that you continue reading before posting ?

HabFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:04 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
PM has been around long enough to know better. He makes a half assed statement that Edmonton should ask for Subban and the 3rd overall for the 1st overall and "other assets." Then he expects it shouldn't be taken out of context. He deserves all the flak he gets for making a vague statement about one of our prime assets and then expecting no repercussions.
What? There was nothing vague about his statement. He went out of his way to say he was not insinuating Montreal should trade Subban. What's wrong with you people?

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
Not much I can do about that.

Still not sure what you are arguing here. That he suggested that Steve Tambellini call up Marc Bergevin and propose the first overall "and something else" for PK Subban and the third overall is beyond dispute. So why in the heck would he say that - repeatedly - on national television if he didn't think it was a fair deal?? You yourself said that he shouldn't have proposed it if he knew it was pointless from Montreal's side of things. You yourself also said that he could have suggested Crosby and a 1st rounder, but he didn't. So you tell me, why DIDN'T he suggest Crosby and a 1st rounder? Because it's stupid, right? Because it makes no sense from Pittsburgh's point of view, even though, ostensibly, McGuire was speaking from Edmonton's point of view? He didn't say Crosby and a 1st rounder because he didn't believe it was a fair deal.

So why would he suggest Subban and the 3rd overall, if he also didn't think that was a fair deal?? NOW let me put some words in McGuire's mouth: "I'm gonna suggest a stupid deal on national television that totally fleeces Montreal, a deal I would never make had I of been named general manager of the Canadiens, because..."

Well, because why?
Melnik asked Mcguire about the Subban rumors. They had just talked about Edmonton and the first pick and that Edmonton needed D. He said that if he was Edmonton he would definitely call Montreal about Subban saying the first picks could be swapped and a young forward from Edmonton would be included because this would address a need they have right now. He then went out of his way to say that if he's Montreal he's not shopping Subban but would listen if a team is ready to overpay. What is wrong with that?

Old
06-23-2012, 12:01 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Melnik asked Mcguire about the Subban rumors. They had just talked about Edmonton and the first pick and that Edmonton needed D. He said that if he was Edmonton he would definitely call Montreal about Subban saying the first picks could be swapped and a young forward from Edmonton would be included because this would address a need they have right now. He then went out of his way to say that if he's Montreal he's not shopping Subban but would listen if a team is ready to overpay. What is wrong with that?
What's wrong with that?

The Whole Thing.

Bs and stupidity majestically intertwined in a great big ball of bs and stupidity and you've managed to get yourself tangled up in it.

Frozenice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:33 AM
RushDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
PM said that if he were the Oilers he would be calling the Habs and trying to pry PK Subban from them because Subban was EXACTLY what the Oilers needed.

He never, once, either on TSN TV or Team 990, said he would do the trade if he was the Habs, he said if he were the Oilers, that is who he would be calling to trade the no.1 pick to because of what Subban will become.

Starr reported that Mcguire was saying the Habs should trade Subban, which got Mcguire really pissed because his own network (TSN's network lets remember) was miss quoting him and because he emails with PK back and forth from time to time (including about this) and he would never say that.

Mcguire is 10000000% right on this people. They have played the tape multiple times after on Team 990 and Mcguire NEVER said the Habs should trade Subban. He said if he were the Oilers GM THAT is the guy he would want out of all the guys in the NHL for the no.1 pick.
I can't stand McGuire but he is completely correct in this. He actually asked the listeners to not mistake what he was saying as fact more than once and CLEARLY said that "if he was Edmonton he'd be making the call and asking for Subban and possibly another asset to get it done". No way did he ever say the Habs should offer anything to get spot #1. His words could not be mistaken but then again Starr is an idiot.

RushDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:48 AM
HabFan4Ever

This thread and the points of various posters have become redundant.

Clearly some here have ADHD and don't read all the posts in the thread when replying to an individual but still feel compelled to respond.

Facts: McGuire made a statement of what he would do/offer if he were the GM of Edmonton.

Comment on his statement: If he were the GM of Edmonton & he actually made that offer to Montreal, he must think that it has some merit for negotiation.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:09 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
What's wrong with that?

The Whole Thing.

Bs and stupidity majestically intertwined in a great big ball of bs and stupidity and you've managed to get yourself tangled up in it.
Can you elaborate as to what part is BS. That Edmonton needs D now? Or that inquiring about Subban would be an option?

Old
06-23-2012, 12:52 PM
No Team Needed

To suggest the Edmonton Oilers should ask for PK Subban and the third overall pick of the Canadiens for first overall is to suggest that this would be a fair deal.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:08 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
To suggest the Edmonton Oilers should ask for PK Subban and the third overall pick of the Canadiens for first overall is to suggest that this would be a fair deal.
That's not what was suggested. If you care to actually base your opinion on facts the podcast is available on the tsn site. A young Oils roster player was part of the package but it was just a prototype deal he suggested for sake of discussion of the top of his head.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Habnot

Quote:
That's not what was suggested. If you care to actually base your opinion on facts the podcast is available on the tsn site. A young Oils roster player was part of the package but it was just a prototype deal he suggested for sake of discussion of the top of his head.
Seriously - as someone who partly makes his living in this market, why we he go out of our way and bring up Subban?By bringing it again on TSN,you know it is not a spur of the moment, but something that he has put some thought behind.

I get the context in which he said it, but it does look bad on him. I understand the organizational need from the oilers so why not suggest Tinordi or Beaulieu? No he chooses Subban, who at 23 is probably one of the 10 most valuable young players in the NHL. It smacks of an agenda.

Habnot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:23 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Can you elaborate as to what part is BS. That Edmonton needs D now? Or that inquiring about Subban would be an option?
The parts when McGuire's lips are moving.

Trading Subban to move up two places in the draft and then justifying it by saying that Montreal should look at trading Subban if another team is willing to overpay. Both statements contradict each other which is the first sign bs is occurring.

If Edmonton wants a D they can put Eberle on the market or Paarajvi but neither will get them Subban.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:29 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habnot View Post
Seriously - as someone who partly makes his living in this market, why we he go out of our way and bring up Subban?By bringing it again on TSN,you know it is not a spur of the moment, but something that he has put some thought behind.

I get the context in which he said it, but it does look bad on him. I understand the organizational need from the oilers so why not suggest Tinordi or Beaulieu? No he chooses Subban, who at 23 is probably one of the 10 most valuable young players in the NHL. It smacks of an agenda.
It was a Melnik question about the Subban rumours just after talking about Edmonton. He was on a Montreal station so this was the logical response. And he went out of his way to make sure he was not suggesting Montreal should move Subban that it was just hypothetical from the point of view of Edmonton. But at this point he should know the maliciousness of some listeners will distort anything that comes out of his mouth.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:33 PM
znk

Quote:
The parts when McGuire's lips are moving.

Trading Subban to move up two places in the draft and then justifying it by saying that Montreal should look at trading Subban if another team is willing to overpay. Both statements contradict each other which is the first sign bs is occurring.

If Edmonton wants a D they can put Eberle on the market or Paarajvi but neither will get them Subban.
You would not trade Subban for Eberle? What's the rational?

Old
06-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
It was a Melnik question about the Subban rumours just after talking about Edmonton. He was on a Montreal station so this was the logical response. And he went out of his way to make sure he was not suggesting Montreal should move Subban that it was just hypothetical from the point of view of Edmonton. But at this point he should know the maliciousness of some listeners will distort anything that comes out of his mouth.
Since when is repeating what McGuire stated verbatim from TSN's draft show (an important show in terms of ratings for TSN) being malicious. It's McGuire that's trying to spin a fantasy yarn here because there isn't a rational explanation to explain 1st overall = 3rd overall + Subban.

Quote:
You would not trade Subban for Eberle? What's the rational?
Subban is better than Eberle plus a top pairing d-man is worth more than a top winger.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:06 PM
znk

Quote:
Since when is repeating what McGuire stated verbatim from TSN's draft show (an important show in terms of ratings for TSN) being malicious. It's McGuire that's trying to spin a fantasy yarn here because there isn't a rational explanation to explain 1st overall = 3rd overall + Subban.

Subban is better than Eberle plus a top pairing d-man is worth more than a top winger.
It was on TSN990 not the TSN draft show. On his regular intervention at 5pm on Melnik's show. Or are we talking about something else? If so I am sorry for the confusion.

I'd trade Subban for a guy that scored 34 goals and got 76 points as a 21 year old.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:10 PM
HabFan4Ever

Quote:
It was on TSN990 not the TSN draft show. On his regular intervention at 5pm on Melnik's show. Or are we talking about something else? If so I am sorry for the confusion.

I'd trade Subban for a guy that scored 34 goals and got 76 points as a 21 year old.
Pls produce a link to the clip so we can all hear it.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:21 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabFan4Ever View Post
Pls produce a link to the clip so we can all hear it.
The problem with the team990 podcast is you cant seek in the audio. I'll try to put the clip on youtube.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:42 PM
znk

Here is the sequence.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:50 PM
jellybeans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
PM never said that and they played the tapes 3 times last night, never ever did he say that.

Actualy i think he did say said during the tsn mock draft the question was what would it take for montreal to move up to 1rst.

jellybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:41 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:

I'm not sure but the audio clip you have is the day after the nhl draft show when McGuire tried to explain what he meant by Subban + 3rd for 1st overall and why Montreal would even think about it. He doesn't mention who the other forward would be because then his yarn he was spinning would completely unravel.

It's a moot point because it seems that Montreal was going to be picking Galchenyuk or TT and not Yakupov, so there was no reason to trade up.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:50 PM
znk

Quote:
I'm not sure but the audio clip you have is the day after the nhl draft show when McGuire tried to explain what he meant by Subban + 3rd for 1st overall and why Montreal would even think about it. He doesn't mention who the other forward would be because then his yarn he was spinning would completely unravel.

It's a moot point because it seems that Montreal was going to be picking Galchenyuk or TT and not Yakupov, so there was no reason to trade up.
That clip is from the 18th the day he filmed his tsn show. The show aired later. So I guess if he did make that proposal on the TSN it could make things a bit different.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:54 PM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
PM said that if he were the Oilers he would be calling the Habs and trying to pry PK Subban from them because Subban was EXACTLY what the Oilers needed.

He never, once, either on TSN TV or Team 990, said he would do the trade if he was the Habs, he said if he were the Oilers, that is who he would be calling to trade the no.1 pick to because of what Subban will become.

Starr reported that Mcguire was saying the Habs should trade Subban, which got Mcguire really pissed because his own network (TSN's network lets remember) was miss quoting him and because he emails with PK back and forth from time to time (including about this) and he would never say that.

Mcguire is 10000000% right on this people. They have played the tape multiple times after on Team 990 and Mcguire NEVER said the Habs should trade Subban. He said if he were the Oilers GM THAT is the guy he would want out of all the guys in the NHL for the no.1 pick.
He did say that it would be something to consider if you were the Habs.

He might not have specifically said as the habs gm he'd offer up the 3rd plus Subban for the 1st but he did imply that it was a trade he'd look into.

UniverStalinGraduate* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Strokes

People forget the Pierre used to be a guest on the morning show. The reason why I'm saying this is because a good friend of mine worked stag for TSN 990 about 5 years ago and told me that Star, Price and I'm not sure if it was Cas weren't to fond of PM. Didn't have the nicest thing to say about Pierre

But then again I didn't personally witness it, so it could have not happened. But there's no reason for the morning show to bash PM for a misunderstanding.

Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote