HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jordan Staal traded to Carolina for Brandon Sutter, Brian Dumoulin, 8th overall

Old
06-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Jahodac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
I liked the return. Didn't really like the pick but what are you gonna do.

Reaction was pretty positive from the crowd though.
There was facepalming where I was sitting. Forsberg was the sexy pick but I really think he's going to be a bust. That said, Pouliot at 8 Isa big stretch but if Shero can grab gold at 30 with Despres and mid 20s with Morrow, I trust his judgment at #8.

Jahodac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:54 PM
SidTheKid8787

I like the return. Especially seeing as Rutherford could have told Ray to shove off. The only thing people will look back on is Ray's 8th pick. I think the fans and the staff in Pitts are gonna love Sutter.

SidTheKid8787 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 10:55 PM
AgentM

I missed the draft while at Narcissi tonight but I followed closely on my phone. Going through the GDT I saw a lot of you were really disappointed by taking a defenseman over Forsberg but I like it because:

1) Shero knows defenseman. I trust any 1st round defenseman he picks considering how good Despres and Morrow look for the future.

2) Forsberg didn't look great against grown men this season according to The Hockey News Draft Edition and it said that some scouts downgraded him from a high talent forward to a two-way guy. Looks like a few teams felt that way after he dropped.

3) This insane pipeline of defense could allow us to go hard after Parise because Shero can keep replacing defenseman with guys on cheap entry level deals for years now.

I loved Staal and am sad that I have to retire my jersey and jersey-shirt of his that I wore to games but I wish him all the best in Carolina with his knew wife. Hopefully this trade works out well for both teams.

AgentM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Lots that can be said and analyzed here, but I am going to make it really simple...

With Staal gone now, this team will be built around Crosby and Malkin, which is what I have felt was the best thing for this org for quite some time.

If we see these two generational talents playing with coal miners now, Shero has failed at his job IMHO.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I think it's really nice to see Sutter's a right handed center.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:02 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodac View Post
There was facepalming where I was sitting. Forsberg was the sexy pick but I really think he's going to be a bust. That said, Pouliot at 8 Isa big stretch but if Shero can grab gold at 30 with Despres and mid 20s with Morrow, I trust his judgment at #8.
I certainly was facepalming. From what I heard though people sounded intrigued.

Interesting trade to say the least.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I was one that fully expected Staal to go and yet as the trade was announced it still felt like a truck hit me. Such a big moment. Loved Shero thanking him for a great 6 years and the fans giving Staal a lengthy standing ovation.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:07 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I think it's really nice to see Sutter's a right handed center.
Watch him play on the first PP unit and score 13 PP goals this year

Old
06-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentM View Post
Watch him play on the first PP unit and score 13 PP goals this year
He'd still just be a third line center.

Hans Rutherford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:12 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Lots that can be said and analyzed here, but I am going to make it really simple...

With Staal gone now, this team will be built around Crosby and Malkin, which is what I have felt was the best thing for this org for quite some time.

If we see these two generational talents playing with coal miners now, Shero has failed at his job IMHO.
Or they will just stockpile defense and let Crosby and Malkin play with **** wings...

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:13 PM
66-29-33

Sutter is going to start getting his offensive chances here, maybe he turns into another Staal and can be a 50-60 point player?

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:14 PM
AgentM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
He'd still just be a third line center.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:16 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:

Here's hoping you are correct.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Zirakzigil

I dont mind this trade. With Staal wanting to move onto the Canes to be with his brother the return Shero got was nice. Just dont agree with who he took at 8th.

Zirakzigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:17 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66-29-33 View Post
Sutter is going to start getting his offensive chances here, maybe he turns into another Staal and can be a 50-60 point player?
I don't want Sutter worrying about points. I want him focusing on defensive work. IF he can shut a line down, our new top 6 should dominate.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:19 PM
vecens24

Quote:
Yeah honestly I can't see that. I'd be surprised if he ever cracked 50-55. I'd be pleasantly surprised, but surprised nonetheless. His only true offensive asset is a strong wrist shot. It's quick and fairly heavy. But outside of that he brings very little. He doesn't have much creativity for a center. For instance, if people though Staal wasn't a strong passer or playmaker, they're in for a rude awakening with Sutter.

Not to say Sutter is a bad player. He's a very effective player that is strong defensively and solid enough offensively to put up between 40-50 points for us. That has a lot of value for a three year contract at 2M each year. But still, expectations should be tempered for his offensive output.

vecens24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:21 PM

Anyone hear what the Rangers where offering up?

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:29 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
The team that wins the trade 95% of the time is the team that leaves with the best player. Picks and prospects and young growing players, 95% of the time, make sure the best player in the deal is coming your way and you'll be fine. Prospects fizzle and picks turn into nothing and young players underachieve far more often than established players forget how to play the game in their prime.

We got hosed. What a stupid trade. Dealt with a growing player who couldn't get his legs under him and was unsure in the offensive zone. Finally grow him into an NHL player. Ship him away for another growing player who is unsure in the offensive zone and can't seem to get his feet under him. What's the best possible scenario for Sutter, that he turns into a Jordan Staal type of player? What happens then, do we ship Sutter away for another project?

(I said exactly this last year with the Flyers. What's the best possible option for the Flyers, that Schenn turns out to be as good as Mike Richards? You already have Mike Richards, why trade for someone you _hope_ grows into him?! You saw how that turned out.)

I don't know anything about the pick, but people seem even angrier about that.

The only solace I have is that I have to assume that this meant Staal was leaving when his contract was up, and at least this way we got something. But I'm not going to be all sugar and rainbows about this deal.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:33 PM
mpp9

Quote:

Amen brother.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Metro Misfits
Misfits of the Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I don't want Sutter worrying about points. I want him focusing on defensive work. IF he can shut a line down, our new top 6 should dominate.
Sutter strives on shutting down the best players in the league. Watched a few interviews with him about that role.

I think both teams won on this deal, Jordan Staal won the most, but I think the Pens made out way better.

As a former Burgh resident / and Pens fan. Good luck to Sutter, but Lets Go Canes!

Metro Misfits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:47 PM
66-29-33

Atleast now we don't have to hear Stall proposals. Now let's hear Suter proposals, when talking about Sutter.

66-29-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Konstantin Koltsov

Fare thee well, Jordan. I'll always have fond memories of your time here. Now do us all a favor and torture the **** out of the Caps.

Konstantin Koltsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:51 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Quote:
Atleast now we don't have to hear Stall proposals. Now let's hear Suter proposals, when talking about Sutter.
If we wind up with Sutter and Suter, Paul Steigerwald will perform hate crimes on the English language.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:06 AM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Sandwich View Post
We got hosed. What a stupid trade. Dealt with a growing player who couldn't get his legs under him and was unsure in the offensive zone. Finally grow him into an NHL player. Ship him away for another growing player who is unsure in the offensive zone and can't seem to get his feet under him. What's the best possible scenario for Sutter, that he turns into a Jordan Staal type of player? What happens then, do we ship Sutter away for another project?

I don't know anything about the pick, but people seem even angrier about that.

The only solace I have is that I have to assume that this meant Staal was leaving when his contract was up, and at least this way we got something. But I'm not going to be all sugar and rainbows about this deal.
At least you came to your senses by the last paragraph. Shero knew Staal wasn't sticking around, so he had to move him. Staal's too good not to get something for him. You take the best deal possible, and that's what Shero did.

He got a young but very talented defensive center. Sure he's Staal lite, but we don't need someone of Staal's caliber playing a defensive role. Sutter will excel in that, and costs a lot less allowing us to have money to spend elsewhere. As for points, I'll be happy if he hits 40. As long as he's shutting down other lines, I could care less how much offense he brings. What it does mean though is that Shero must upgrade the top 6 now that there's only 2 lines for other teams to focus on.

As for the pick, I think most were surprised (other than TSN who called it as Shero was walking to the stage). I would have rather had Trouba (or was it Dumba taken at #9?). The big guy who would likely turn into a shutdown type. Or Matta (was very happy with that pick). However I rationalized it later as this: How many defensive type D are available in free agency, or by trade? No the top ones rarely are, however you don't need a top #1/2 D to win the cup. However how often are top offensive D available? Much rarer. That's why I think Shero picked this guy. Hopefully it works out... but we have some quality D in the system.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:08 AM
Sidgeni Malkby

Quote:

+1

We tried the 3C model and it came to a point where you knew it was no longer going to work. I bet we'll look back at this in 2-3 years and say Staal did us a favor. Mark this post.

Staal set things in motion that will reshape the team heavily.

We just gained $4M in cap space with the Staal/Sutter swap in 2013-14. $4M more with Michalek gone. With Paul Martin next, it clears out $13M/year over the long term.

Enough for a true 1st line forward (Ryan, Parise, Nash), and raises for Malkin, Crosby, and Letang when the time comes.

Also, with the depth of defense, I can see us developing and shipping out for another amazing top 6 down the road (depending on the situation).

Sidgeni Malkby is offline   Reply With Quote