HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round I, Pick #28: Brady Skjei, D

Old
06-22-2012, 11:18 PM
collegehockeyguy

vCash: 500
the rangers got tremendous value with skjei being there on the board still. he should develop the next couple years under one of the premier defensive coaches in college hockey (mike guentzel- who coached in college alex goligoski, paul martin, erik johnson, keith ballard and... even stu bickel for a year)

collegehockeyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:20 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Just hope he learns to play the body a bit more. Huge asset that he doesn't get enough mileage out of.
Using your body is something that a lot of players need to learn how to do as they develop. It doesn't come as natural for some. For most of his life he probably has been able to get by due to his skating and footwork, beating players to pucks, etc. I'd expect him to play at least 2, most likely 3 years at Minnesota and a year or so in the AHL. He will get some great coaching along the way and will be at an elite program in Minnesota where he will definitely get stronger physically.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:27 PM
chosen

The scouting reports here remind me of Poti.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:34 PM
theJUMPER

TSN has him as #22....

Quote:
Scouting Rankings
NHL Central Scouting: 19 NAS, International Scouting Services: No. 26, The Hockey News: No. 26, Button's Ranking: No. 26

TSN Scout Craig Button:
Brady is a player who has is very difficult to play against because he has size and weight and is an excellent skater in all regards. He is powerful and with excellent balance, he is able to use his body and keep opponents from gaining an advantage. His agility is very good and he is able to handle 1-1 situations versus speed and quickness effectively and he's also able to move ahead with the puck and escape pressure. He reads the play very well without the puck and with the confidence he has in his skating, he can stop plays before a rush has fully unfolded. His defensive positioning is sound and he doesn't create unnecessary problems for himself. He is a good passer and gets the puck moving from his own zone quickly and efficiently and is very effective transition player. He's not going to punish opponents but he's going to frustrate them because it's no easy task to get around him and gain the upper hand. A good, strong, steady type player who has a strong dependability and consistency in his play.
Happy with the pick. Hopefully he isn't another Sanguinetti.

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:35 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Ehh. Other than size and skating, I don't really see it. Poti was always regarded as an offensive defenseman. He was over a PPG in college.

Skjei may never reach 30 points in a season, but that is fine. Bret Hedican skated like the wind, was a VERY solid defenseman and never reached 30 points in a season either.

This kid is going to bulk up, get stronger and will get more physical as he develops and plays against bigger, older players in college.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
I Am Classless

Quote:
Really, if our 28th overall pick plays 800+ NHL games like Poti has management won't be able to complain about the pick.

I think he's meant to be more in the McDonagh mold - plusplus skating, defensively solid, not soft, offensive skills maybe a little less refined.

I Am Classless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:43 PM
darko

Intriguing pick. 6'3 kid with solid upside who could develop into a 2-way D-man. Very good skating ability being somewhat comparable to McDonagh at the same age. How can you hate this pick?

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:44 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagel Bites View Post
Really, if our 28th overall pick plays 800+ NHL games like Poti has management won't be able to complain about the pick.

I think he's meant to be more in the McDonagh mold - plusplus skating, defensively solid, not soft, offensive skills maybe a little less refined.
I wasn't complaining. That's who the reports remind me of.

All this chatter making him into McDonagh at this point is quite a bit of a reach, considering that McDonagh is probably already the Rangers best all-around dman.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:48 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Mac Squared
Frk
Collberg

Who else would be of interest?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:58 PM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Mac Squared
Frk
Collberg

Aberg

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:59 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
I wasn't complaining. That's who the reports remind me of.

All this chatter making him into McDonagh at this point is quite a bit of a reach, considering that McDonagh is probably already the Rangers best all-around dman.
It's ok to say he's in that mold... but I certainly wouldn't say that I expect him to be o that caliber. A 2nd pair d-man would be a great pick at this time in the drat.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Mac Squared
Frk
Collberg

Sutter
Kerdiles
Dansk
Aberg
Hart
Nieves
Stepan

Old
06-23-2012, 12:20 AM
KingWantsCup
United we stand

vCash: 50
At first I was disappointed that we took a D in the first round, since we always do that and there's more of a need for offense at the moment. However Skjei is really nothing to hang your head over at all. Our defense, for as good as it was this past year, was definitely leaning a little too heavily on the first pair, so we really could use the help in the future. I'm sure we'll address our offensive issues with an established forward anyway. I'm more excited for Skjei than McIlrath. Mac is a project and part goon, and we both know that those two things are Sather's top two fetishes. Skjei's got it all going on, should see him up for at least a cup of tea in two years, three years tops IMO. Still interested in seeing Mac though.

Last edited by KingWantsCup: 06-23-2012 at 12:27 AM.
KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Barnaby

I think this scouting crew has it. This is no random pick. We all want a scoring orward, but at this point - top 4 d-man or 3rd line player... D-man hold way more value. Solid pick.

He can skate. He's big. He knows the game... better than a coin lip orward.

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:52 AM
mrhockey193195

Can Skjei play on the right side? We already have Staal, McD, Del Zotto, and possibly Erixon on the left...

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:04 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

He's a left-handed player...but I don't know if he's ever played RD before.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:05 AM
gravey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I think this scouting crew has it. This is no random pick. We all want a scoring orward, but at this point - top 4 d-man or 3rd line player... D-man hold way more value. Solid pick.
This is dead on.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:10 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
At first I was disappointed that we took a D in the first round, since we always do that

1st round picks since 07

07: Cherepanov--Forward
08: Del Zotto--Dman
09: Kreider--Forward
10: McIlrath--Dman
11: Miller: Forward
12: Skjei: Dman

so 6 drafts and we've alternated forwards and dmen each year, not exactly picking dmen every year.

we picked dmen in the 1st round back to back years in 05 (staal) and 06 (sanguinetti), but before that last time we picked a dman in the 1st round was jeff brown in 96.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:14 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
He's a left-handed player...but I don't know if he's ever played RD before.
assuming that he's likely 2-3 years away atleast thats not really an issue at this point.

who knows what our blueline looks like then...maybe we trade del zotto or erixon, then sign schultz, sauer fully recovers and mcilrath makes it and suddenly we have more depth on the right side then the left. lots can change in 2-3 years.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:16 AM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Sounds like a good pick and there are a lot of good forwards still on the board that they can get in the later rounds. Good start.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:21 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
Sounds like a good pick and there are a lot of good forwards still on the board that they can get in the later rounds. Good start.
long way till our next pick hopefully some of those good forwards are still on the board...would love to find a way to grab another pick in the 1st half of the 2nd. maybe trade a pick from next year

Old
06-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
assuming that he's likely 2-3 years away atleast thats not really an issue at this point.

who knows what our blueline looks like then...maybe we trade del zotto or erixon, then sign schultz, sauer fully recovers and mcilrath makes it and suddenly we have more depth on the right side then the left. lots can change in 2-3 years.
Yep. We don't even know what the D will look like on opening night this year. Plus, he can definately be molded into an RD at such an early age.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Edge

A good pick, considering the position and the draft. In a better draft, Skjei is probably a solid second round pick.

There are more interesting players out there, but all of them have some question marks.

Guy does a little bit of everything, but nothing spectacular. I do worry that people are going to see his size and his skating and expect a bit too much out of him.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
The last time the Rangers took the best skater in the draft, and a lot of people hated it while Jonathan loved it, he turned into Chris Kreider.
I really don't remember there being a lot of hate for the pick. I know there were a lot of people who never saw the kid play, but it seems to me that the vast majority of people were intrigued by the pick.

When I think of unpopular, I tend to think of Jessiman or Farladeau (and to a lesser extent) Sanguinetti and McIlrath.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:37 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Skjei from our perspective:

Quote:
A smooth skating two-way defender with enticing upside. His skating is sneaky fast with incredibly explosive acceleration. He utilizes his skilled hands by starting the attack: Rushing the puck up the ice from his defensive zone into the offensive zone before dishing it off or taking a shot. He has a heavy, accurate slapshot that is a weapon from the point. He makes good use of his long reach, showing strong puck protection and good gap control in his own zone. He makes simple, solid touch passes on the rush but needs to utilize his good breakout pass more often. He is at his best when he simplifies his game and moves the puck but also has an eye on his defensive responsibilities; he has a little river boat gambler in him.
More: http://futureconsiderations.ca/range...-28th-overall/

Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote