HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Pick #20 - Scott Laughton, Center, Oshawa Generals (OHL)

Old
06-22-2012, 11:15 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I guess my personal philosophy is that you dont take safe players in the first round. Everyone says He wont be a ppg forward and his ceiling is a maybe 2nd line center most likely a 3rd/4th line. Feel like you should maybe go for a guy who has some offense and in tr 2nd round take a defensive minded center if you want
I think in the mid to late first round you either take someone who has a lot of potential but some bad intagible (history of injuries, poor competition, skating issues) or you go for the safe pick. With the Flyers and defenseman, no D prospect is a safe pick.

Edit: I guess those are really the only kind of guys left at that point.... I just usually prefer the safe pick.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:23 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
I guess my personal philosophy is that you dont take safe players in the first round. Everyone says He wont be a ppg forward and his ceiling is a maybe 2nd line center most likely a 3rd/4th line. Feel like you should maybe go for a guy who has some offense and in tr 2nd round take a defensive minded center if you want
We took him at the perfect spot. With our depleted system we HAVE to hit our picks. He's not a clod offensively, and has every intangible.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:31 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
We took him at the perfect spot. With our depleted system we HAVE to hit our picks. He's not a clod offensively, and has every intangible.
We have a huge need in one position and we take a player in another that we are pretty full in. Yea schenn can move to wing but i just feel that in a time where we have zero defensive prospects and an aging defense we have a huge need in defenders. Now i question what player we take in the second round. We are terrible developing defenders after the 1st round. Ya we can keep saying "we will sign them in FA" but people said that last year with Suter who isnt looking like he will go to an eastern team. Its easy to say we will throw money at defenders but its hard to have them come here.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:39 PM
Broad Street Elite

We blew the draft when it was Buffalo moving up to Calgary's spot at 14 and not us imo.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
YuioIklo

Remember in 2006 when we were mad we got Giroux instead of Sanguinetti? Not saying it's gonna be the same with Laughton, but it's sure too early to complain. I'm glad we got a good new player and I can't wait to see what the guy can offer. It will probably be in 2-3 years, and we will probably fix our D needs before that. When you draft in 1st round, you go for BPA. These players normally take a couple of years to develop, and your needs change during these years.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
We have a huge need in one position and we take a player in another that we are pretty full in. Yea schenn can move to wing but i just feel that in a time where we have zero defensive prospects and an aging defense we have a huge need in defenders. Now i question what player we take in the second round. We are terrible developing defenders after the 1st round. Ya we can keep saying "we will sign them in FA" but people said that last year with Suter who isnt looking like he will go to an eastern team. Its easy to say we will throw money at defenders but its hard to have them come here.
We have drafted some good defenseman in the first. The problem is the later round. We cannot develop any for ****.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:51 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
We all know we need a D man, but the likelyhood is that whoever we picked at 20 isn't coming to help the main roster next year anyway. Always best to take BPA, and they thought this kid was that. There REALLY wasn't much left, I'm not that high on Maata as a high pick.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:57 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Invictus View Post
He's also on LTIR with a nasty case of the deaths.
Nah. His energy simply passed into a different state.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:03 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
That's an understandable philosophy, but I doubt the Flyers would draft him at #20 if they weren't banking a bit on some two-way skills. If he has offensive upside similar to Dave Bolland as a 3C, this moves from a safe pick to a smart pick.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:15 AM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
Remember in 2006 when we were mad we got Giroux instead of Sanguinetti? Not saying it's gonna be the same with Laughton, but it's sure too early to complain. I'm glad we got a good new player and I can't wait to see what the guy can offer. It will probably be in 2-3 years, and we will probably fix our D needs before that. When you draft in 1st round, you go for BPA. These players normally take a couple of years to develop, and your needs change during these years.
Definitely agree with this.

Here's a topic worth considering:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=256918

Giroux wasnt even on our radar. All these players sound nice right now because all we have is projections. When we see Maata, we see "all around defender with top pairing potential". When we see Laughton, we see "two way middle six centerman with intangibles". When we see Yakupov, we see "dynamic offensive winger with incredible offensive potential".

But that's for fans. The GMs and scouts make their own projections, and contrary to the HFboards belief, they dont always view players at their ultimate upside because it's their job to determine who is the most likely to reach their ceiling. That's how players drop. Grigorenko is so appealing today because everyone sees "big centerman with great offensive instincts", but clearly GMs around the league see that the likelihood of him reaching that projection in the NHL is risky at best.

And, sure, sometimes they're wrong-- but that is not determined on draft day. No sense complaining over a pick years before it can be deemed a success or failure.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:37 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Aging D? Kimo is the only d man they have in the top 6 that's over 29 y/o. After Koekkoek there was no draft pick that would be a lock to be more then a 3rd pairing dman.

If they were going with a center I was hoping they would go with Matteau or Samulsen who are both bigger and more physical.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:57 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 320
It's a sold pick. Nothing to get real excited about, but not one I'm crying over. We have the same favorite color so that's something.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:02 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post

If they were going with a center I was hoping they would go with Matteau or Samulsen who are both bigger and more physical.
Neither is a natural center.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:21 AM
Le Oranje

Can someone explain to me this: if he wasn't even a PPG player in the OHL, why should we be convinced that he can be anything more than a 4th liner in the NHL?

Le Oranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:31 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Oranje View Post
Can someone explain to me this: if he wasn't even a PPG player in the OHL, why should we be convinced that he can be anything more than a 4th liner in the NHL?
Opportunity? He was behind Jenner and Andreoff- 2 draft picks. He should be in a more offensive role next year. He was also the 3rd pick in the OHL draft so this guy has some skill.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:39 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Here's our take on Laughton for those that are curious.

Quote:
A hard working, two-way forward. Has a strong stride with good speed and excellent balance as he is very strong on his feet. He is extremely competitive and smart at both ends of the ice, strong down low and along the boards. He’s a smart and instinctual player without the puck. His work ethic and compete levels may the best we have seen in the OHL this season, and he continues to show strong leadership abilities. He plays an aggressive, gritty, tough two-way game.
More: http://futureconsiderations.ca/flyer...-20th-overall/

06-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Winston Wolf

Anyone that has been following the draft for a little while has probably heard of Red Line Report writer Kyle Woodlief. He's not always well liked because he's rather harsh in his criticisms, but he also doesn't produce cookie cutter lists like many writers on TSN and other popular publications. He definitely produces draft rankings that cause some controversy prior to the draft, but over the years he's been right many times about individual players. He's called risers and fallers many times in actual draft order and been right about guys considered off the map picks once they actually make the NHL.

From May 2012:
Eight players break out from the NHL draft pack

Quote:
Rising

•Scott Laughton (17): Came on like gangbusters during the second half, and was easily Canada's best forward at the world under-18 championships.
From June 2012:
Kyle Woodlief's mock NHL draft

Quote:
12. Buffalo — Scott Laughton. Derek Roy might be on his way out of town soon, and the Sabres see an opportunity to draft and develop his ultimate replacement.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:26 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Anyone that has been following the draft for a little while has probably heard of Red Line Report writer Kyle Woodlief. He's not always well liked because he's rather harsh in his criticisms, but he also doesn't produce cookie cutter lists like many writers on TSN and other popular publications. He definitely produces draft rankings that cause some controversy prior to the draft, but over the years he's been right many times about individual players. He's called risers and fallers many times in actual draft order and been right about guys considered off the map picks once they actually make the NHL.

From May 2012:

From June 2012:
Girgensons > Laughton
Personally not a fan of this pick, but I trust holmgren to rebound tomo with hopefully taking pokka or another defencemen with number 45 then going hyka with the 3rd rounder

Giroux 4 MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:31 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
From Craig Button:

Sounds like a player you win championships with.
Yes he does. Another kid who fits the mold here is Philly. I wonder what Shanahan said to him as he was walking up to the stage?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:39 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post

From May 2012:

From June 2012:
Thanks. I did have him and Gaunce followed by Sissons as dark horses. He will be a fan favorite.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:07 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
We blew the draft when it was Buffalo moving up to Calgary's spot at 14 and not us imo.
We didn't blow anything in that regard. Holmgren tried to move up, no one would move.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
This guy sounds like he has all the makings of a solid pick. Maybe not a super-star game changer, but a definitely solid pick with a good long NHL future. Still scratching my head on how they pass on Maatta, but Homer knows what he is doing up at that podium. My thinking (and this is just speculation because obviously I don't know for sure) is that the Flyers didn't think any of the defenseman available were really top pairing type guys so they went with a guy who fits their style who can help out defense from a forward's role. Time's gonna tell on this one. I doubt Maatta (or any other defenseman available) would have helped out this year anyway. If they can land Bystrom, Finn, or Thrower, I think we can label the first two rounds a success (hell, I would have been happy with one of those three in the first round).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:30 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
We didn't blow anything in that regard. Holmgren tried to move up, no one would move.
When looking at the players drafted from 14-20 the one I think Holmgren would have drafted either CECI or WILSON.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:33 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Exactly......Homer did just fine with the cards he was dealt in the 1st round.Laughton has FLYER written all over his face .You cannot build or teach the type of grit this cats got in spades.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:49 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

After a night of sleeping I warmed up to it abit. Hopefully couturier continues to improve offensively so in the future the centers could be Giroux-Couturier-Laughton. Maybe even move Giroux to a wing. Schenn looked solid as a winger and i would like to see him on couturiers wing. Laughton will take over a more defensive role.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote