HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the #7 pick, the Wild select Mathew Dumba

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-22-2012, 11:33 PM
  #301
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,440
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'm just not concerned about him bulking up, but getting overwhelmed and developing bad habits. Muscle is easy to add relatively speaking, but you don't want to screw up the development.
I think F+F's criticisms of his game aren't going to be fixed with more time in juniors...Well the size might be (as most prospects come in lighter than their mature playing weight) but it sounded like the defensive questions revolved around him being able to pick his spots both for physical battles and offense and how to keep positional goofs to a minimum. He's going to be able to get away with a lot more in juniors than he is in the NHL so I'm not sure how he's going to learn the proper amount of caution until he gets here. Hopefully he gets a little acclimation time for some regular season games--i'd hate to see him get sent away right off the bat.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:34 PM
  #302
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Right behind you....
Country: United States
Posts: 6,161
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Which is why Fletcher has already earned that extension! What he has done for this team via the draft is simply... STUNNING!
More so than the 1st round selections, I've been impressed with the selections in the later rounds...which is why I'm interested to see what happens tomorrow.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:34 PM
  #303
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,522
vCash: 50
Even if we go to the next group of prospects...

Zucker-Phillips-Bulmer
Cuma-Genoway/Seeler?
Darcy Kuemper

The forwards still look better than DR's prospects did... the D... not so much.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:35 PM
  #304
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,233
vCash: 16145
That D is ugly. Matt Finn is still available, right?

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:36 PM
  #305
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 2,005
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
That's nice to see! Much better than it was a few years ago...

Gillies-Almond-Sheppard
Cuma-Scandella
Khudobin
Oh God I just threw up

Nothing could ever be that bad again...

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:37 PM
  #306
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,977
vCash: 500
McCabe.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:37 PM
  #307
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,233
vCash: 16145
That'd be nice.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:37 PM
  #308
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,440
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
McCabe.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:38 PM
  #309
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,522
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
That D is ugly. Matt Finn is still available, right?
Yeah, we're sitting good on top end D-prospects right now with Brodin and Dumba, but we still need more quality there for sure!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:38 PM
  #310
DeuceMN
Really?
 
DeuceMN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chi-Town, Il
Country: United States
Posts: 2,005
vCash: 50
From what I've been reading on Dumba, he does seem to have decent d-zone presence.

Kind of like Burns, but let's be real, Burns was dumb... I don't get the impression that this kid is quite as dumb as poor Burnsie... So many bad decisions all the time...

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:39 PM
  #311
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I think F+F's criticisms of his game aren't going to be fixed with more time in juniors...Well the size might be (as most prospects come in lighter than their mature playing weight) but it sounded like the defensive questions revolved around him being able to pick his spots both for physical battles and offense and how to keep positional goofs to a minimum. He's going to be able to get away with a lot more in juniors than he is in the NHL so I'm not sure how he's going to learn the proper amount of caution until he gets here. Hopefully he gets a little acclimation time for some regular season games--i'd hate to see him get sent away right off the bat.
Depends upon the coaching and home much discipline is put into it. If we can get someone working with him 1 on 1 and pointing out the mistakes, positioning can still be worked on in the CHL. Sure he can get away with things against his competition, but if coaching is on him well for those mishaps, he still gets the opportunity to work on it. The AHL would obviously be more desirable, but that stupid transfer agreement...

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:39 PM
  #312
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,233
vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Yeah, we're sitting good on top end D-prospects right now with Brodin and Dumba, but we still need more quality there for sure!
We're set on F prospects, so if we move up and take a nice D prospect, that'd be really nice. That could get us somewhere.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
  #313
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 9,977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
It feels weird wanting a Badger in the system so bad...

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
  #314
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
A couple of the good defensemen who are on the board and could be 2nd rounders:

McCabe
Kulak
Thrower

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
  #315
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,358
vCash: 50
What D prospects are speculated to be available around the middle of the 2nd round?

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:40 PM
  #316
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,522
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czech in Hockey View Post
From what I've been reading on Dumba, he does seem to have decent d-zone presence.

Kind of like Burns, but let's be real, Burns was dumb... I don't get the impression that this kid is quite as dumb as poor Burnsie... So many bad decisions all the time...
Burns was great when the forwards in front of him weren't so inept remember. It's when he felt that he was the only player on the ice that could provide any form of offense that it became a problem.

Sounds like a similar problem with Dumba... tries to do too much at times.

Again though, it's something that can be dealt with as long as we have players up front doing their jobs as well.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:41 PM
  #317
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorious Secret View Post
We're set on F prospects, so if we move up and take a nice D prospect, that'd be really nice. That could get us somewhere.
If Collberg is a possibility without us giving up both our 2nd and 3rd (and maybe even if we have to) we really need to get that done.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:41 PM
  #318
Victorious Secret
Dr. Chuck Evil
 
Victorious Secret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Country: Ireland
Posts: 11,233
vCash: 16145
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
If Collberg is a possibility without us giving up both our 2nd and 3rd (and maybe even if we have to) we really need to get that done.
I'd definitely be for that. Honestly, I don't see us standing pat tomorrow.

Victorious Secret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:43 PM
  #319
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,522
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Depends upon the coaching and home much discipline is put into it. If we can get someone working with him 1 on 1 and pointing out the mistakes, positioning can still be worked on in the CHL. Sure he can get away with things against his competition, but if coaching is on him well for those mishaps, he still gets the opportunity to work on it. The AHL would obviously be more desirable, but that stupid transfer agreement...
One thing I've noticed... and was concerned with when he was first assigned to the position... but Brad Bombardir has done a great job with the prospects in helping them prepare their games going forward.

I was very skeptical of the impact he'd have, but I must say, I've only seen positive things from it!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:53 PM
  #320
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,154
vCash: 97
We need a guy on the blueline who can do this.



That was a great night. Gabby's 5 goals and Burns taking down guys left and right.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:55 PM
  #321
FUBAR McDangles
Registered User
 
FUBAR McDangles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Country: United States
Posts: 6,852
vCash: 710
I'm definitely campaigning for McCabe now. Hence the Avatar.

A top-4 consisting of Gilbert, Brodin, Dumba, and McCabe in 2-3 years sounds great to me. If we deal Gilbert at some point(and I would rather not, but eh), Scandella could be that guy to be in the Top-4.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:57 PM
  #322
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 13,522
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
We need a guy on the blueline who can do this.



That was a great night. Gabby's 5 goals and Burns taking down guys left and right.
One of my favorite all-time moments ever at the X! Seeing Burns standing there... towering over the two toppled Rangers!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:58 PM
  #323
rynryn
Progress to the Mean
 
rynryn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Minny
Country: United States
Posts: 21,440
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post

That was a great night. Gabby's 5 goals and Burns taking down guys left and right.
magical night. That one and the chicago come back, and that one game we beat the Ducks in the playoffs.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:59 PM
  #324
NHL1674
Whatever...
 
NHL1674's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 11,154
vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
One of my favorite all-time moments ever at the X! Seeing Burns standing there... towering over the two toppled Rangers!
Looks like they ran into a tree.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:59 PM
  #325
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 18,360
vCash: 500
Does anyone think Dumba could add an inch or two? End up 6'1" - 6'2". The kid is still young.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.