HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which center will have to go away?

View Poll Results: Who will have to be moved in the next 2-3 years?
Tomas Plekanec 37 22.98%
David Desharnais 36 22.36%
Lars Eller 15 9.32%
Louis Leblanc 3 1.86%
Alex Galchenyuk 1 0.62%
None. 2 of them can play on the wing. 69 42.86%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 500
Leblanc is a winger already. I think Eller, though I disagree with it, will be a winger for us in the future.

In 2013/2014 I can see something like:

? - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Leblanc/Kristo
Eller - Galchenyuk - Gionta

Last edited by Watsatheo: 06-23-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Plek needs to go THIS YEAR regardless.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:55 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Care to explain why beyond "soft european smurf"?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:57 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
like DD but not sold on him long term. was owned by other teams top centers on road. curious to see what he does this year. i like his chemistry with maxpac but then watched plekanecs have a terrific game filling in for him on that line in that win vs canucks 4-1 in Vancouver. prefer to keep pleks, eller and galchenyuk
Doesn't mean we have to trade him. I actually think DD would make a good winger for Eller. Eller can take the major defensive responsabilities in that scenario. Being a playmaker doesn't stop him from playing wing.

EllertoKostitsynGoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:58 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Care to explain why beyond "soft european smurf"?
Old soft european smurf.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:02 AM
Dont Poke Subban
25th is coming.

wow.. so many hate plekanec here. he's still our best penalty killer in this team. i believe the team will miss his presence when he's gone.

hope he stays.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:03 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
We just saw Ribeiro get traded for Cody Eakin and a late 2nd...you really think Plekanec will fetch much more in this current market? It's easy to say he 'needs to go' but unless it helps the team it's pointless to trade him.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:07 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

DD and LL will both play wing.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:34 AM
AntonCH

If DD is moved to wing, he'll likely be moved to make room for gallagher

as for patapoufQC, he reminds me of an einstein quote
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein"
Kind of like discussing with him

AntonCH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:34 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
We just saw Ribeiro get traded for Cody Eakin and a late 2nd...you really think Plekanec will fetch much more in this current market? It's easy to say he 'needs to go' but unless it helps the team it's pointless to trade him.
He would, Riberio's low value is probably tied to being older and only having one year left on his deal. Not so much the case with Plekanec.

But still, I doubt there's a trade that gives good value for Plekanec out there. Especially since I can easily see him playing for a long time to come in gradually more specialized roles.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:12 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
He would, Riberio's low value is probably tied to being older and only having one year left on his deal. Not so much the case with Plekanec.

But still, I doubt there's a trade that gives good value for Plekanec out there. Especially since I can easily see him playing for a long time to come in gradually more specialized roles.
I really don't get why people think Plekanec is some sort of ticking time bomb who will physically fall apart at any moment. He's not Gomez. I mean sure a fluke injury that destroys his speed would do it, but is there any reason to assume that happens? And as far as contracts go...He makes less money than Grabovski FFS.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:17 AM
FF de Mars

vCash: 915
Gally plays LW too. The team is going to have a hard time sending him down. He'll impress. I see him with Pleks.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:24 AM
Saintpatrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
and DD is not a softie?
really?

Plek gets the hard minutes
PK
PP
and he's soft?

LMFAO
This. It amazes me how many people are throwing Pleky under the bus. 2 seasons ago he was our leading scorer. This year he never played with the same wingers for more than a few shifts. One off season and people are willing to throw away one of the best 2 way centers in the league. If anything I'd get rid of DD he's too damn small and once Galy cracks the roster it's him or Eller on the bubble. I'm still not sold on Eller, next season will be a make or break year for him.

Saintpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:33 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

This is not something the habs have to worry about, yet. There no guarantees about alex. Eller is progressing, but its still uncertain what kind of niche he will fit into. Desharnais has one good season under his belt so far. Leblanc is versatile enough that he doesnt have to play centre.

Plekanec is pretty much the only proven guy in terms that we know what we should get out of him.

It may look deep and promising on paper but there's lots of questions to answer yet.

Hackett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:39 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Trading any of them for the sake of creating space would be dumb. Just move one to wing.

I know he hasn't looked great there but Eller should be converted as a winger, it suits his skillset better. Leblanc at NHL level is a winger.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:42 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
I really don't get why people think Plekanec is some sort of ticking time bomb who will physically fall apart at any moment. He's not Gomez. I mean sure a fluke injury that destroys his speed would do it, but is there any reason to assume that happens? And as far as contracts go...He makes less money than Grabovski FFS.
With the way the market is going 5M might be what third line centers will get in free agency in a couple of years.
Also, two way players tend to have a pretty long prime.
I'm also wondering about what kind of money DD will get on his next contract, he'll be an RFA but RFA get UFA money these days. Contracts also tend to depend alot on point totals and not on overall value so he could get a huge contract wich I'm not a fan of for players who haven't proven they can credibly play top 6 opposition. We'd look really stupid if we traded one of Plek or Eller and DD asked for huge money.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:47 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllertoKostitsynGoal View Post
With the way the market is going 5M might be what third line centers will get in free agency in a couple of years.
Also, two way players tend to have a pretty long prime.
I'm also wondering about what kind of money DD will get on his next contract, he'll be an RFA but RFA get UFA money these days. Contracts also tend to depend alot on point totals and not on overall value so he could get a huge contract wich I'm not a fan of for players who haven't proven they can credibly play top 6 opposition. We'd look really stupid if we traded one of Plek or Eller and DD asked for huge money.
The DD line as a savior factor scares me, it really does. He is a good player without a doubt but lets be honest here, the fans will make it hard to move him even if it's for the teams own good. And I don't just mean the language, also the narrative and how much points he had, a lot of desperate fans after a miserable season bet everything on that one line.

I think he should be tried on the wing personally, his vision is outstanding and he's a very good passer but he's not a good overall puck possessor at all. I just hope Therrien is willing to break that line up to bring this team balance.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:00 AM
EllertoKostitsynGoal

Quote:
The DD line as a savior factor scares me, it really does. He is a good player without a doubt but lets be honest here, the fans will make it hard to move him even if it's for the teams own good. And I don't just mean the language, also the narrative and how much points he had, a lot of desperate fans after a miserable season bet everything on that one line.

I think he should be tried on the wing personally, his vision is outstanding and he's a very good passer but he's not a good overall puck possessor at all. I just hope Therrien is willing to break that line up to bring this team balance.
He'd be a good fit on Eller's wing actually.
Before giving him a big contract I'd want him to be either tried as a top 6 winger ( where I don't have much doubt he could handle top 6 opposition) or thrown in tough minutes to see if he can handle them.

Can't have one of the best tough minutes left wing-right wing combo of the East playing soft minutes if we want to be a good team. I also don't want Pacioretty in soft minutes during a contract year when having him against top opposition ( wich he can play) brings the same overall on ice value to the team as having him beating on third lines while guys not suited for tough minutes get beaten in them.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:04 AM
Clumsyhab

Can't believe so much people want Pleky out. Once Gally is ready for the 1st line Centre spot, Plekanec would be the perfect 2nd line Centre.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:24 AM
DJ Breadman

It's clearly DD I love the guy but he really only works well with Patches, he is super small and I saw him get bounced off the puck many times, also he doesn't have a big name like a first roudn pick so he is easy to get rid of.

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:27 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Plekanec out, we need to get rid of the small softies... OUT PLEKY!
Two to three years is a long time scale. I mean, who's to say you'll even still be a Habs fan then?

Corncob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:59 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I just prefer Doan in that position(intense, gritty, leader). I would have traded Plek for the rights of Doan, plus Phoenix' low first pick and maybe another player.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:06 AM
bsl

Quote:
None.

Both LL and Desharnais can be converted to the wing, Galchenyuk isn't NHL ready yet.

Seriously, everyone complained about our C depth, now they are dying to trade Plekanec? Why?
DD is no use to us on the wing. Keep grasping at straws. He won't win board battles and he can't score goals.

I don't see DD or Pleks on this team in 3 years. We have the worst center lineup in the league. Not one of them can score goals, and the sooner I see the back of Pleks and DD, the happier I will be.

I ranted for Carter this year. Too bad. We could have had Gals, Carter and Eller as our top 3 in 2 years. Now that's a contending center lineup.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
None at the moment, I know people want to get all hyped up, but Quality takes time... Eller is Growing & Nobody should Question Plekanec's work ethic, DD is working with Max & The Cole-Train, were 3 years away from the cup anyway, till our D-Men Mature, what a great crop coming up!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:21 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

None of them will be traded in the near future.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote