HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikhail Grigorenko, Center – 12th Overall, 2012

Old
06-23-2012, 01:11 AM
tsujimoto74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Guys, we found Miller's successor:

No, it's not a Photoshop.

Connor Crisp, iz dat u??
Man, I'm excited about this kid though. Still can't believe he fell all the way to 12. I was getting excited around 8 or 9 thinking we'd have our choice of Faksa or Girgensons. Got Girgy and possibly one of the most skilled forwards in the draft.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:13 AM
SabresOnTheWarpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
I can't believe we got this guy at #12.

WTFawesomesauce

Kid was compared to Yakupov, had an injury and mono, and suddenly scouts say his work ethic etc. sucks?

K, NHL, we'll take him at #12, and this (IMO) could turn out to be the best 1st round Buffalo's had in the last 20 years.
Given how 2008 went, that would be scary!

SabresOnTheWarpath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:19 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
How funny that Buffalo was one of the two teams who invited Frederick Roy to their team combine...

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Kshahdoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
Whats with the Rumor that he is 20 years old not 18???
Lol, bullcrap. It's impossible in Russia. He would be banned from hockey for the whole life if he would fake his age. Just laughing at NA stupidity.

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Stanley Cup
Bettman's ice bucket

Congrats on this pick. I firmly believe he will be a dominant player in the NHL at some point. He has #1 C written all over him. He won't be the guy you put on the ice with a minute left up by 1, but he's the one you need to score when you're down by 1. Despite the rumors, Grigorenko has shown a true willingness to learn the north american game. When he came to Québec, he barely knew 1-2 sentences in english, now we could nearly call him billingual. That's one thing scouts don't seem to take into account. It's pretty hard to learn a new language, and Grigo did it so quickly it's impressive. Now I don't think he'll be on your roster come september, but he could be an NHL center the following year. He is good at faceoffs, he just needs to work on his balance and puck protection. Also needs to work on his own game and not make the mistake of trying to hit everything that moves just because his coaches tell him to because he's big, 'cause he'll end up forgetting to put up points on the board.

Stanley Cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:43 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Here's our spin on Grigorenko:

Quote:
Grigorenko is a player with high-end potential. He has some of the best puck-handling skills in the entire draft and his vision is elite. He dissects the play better than everyone else in the Q this year. He controls the game very well and is a lethal playmaker on the powerplay. He has a strong release on an NHL quality shot and often finds open space in the offensive zone. His mobility is above average, with a strong top speed and quick fluid feet, but his acceleration could use some improvement. His vision on the ice is extraordinary, possibly his best asset; he can make plays that few NHLers can.
More: http://futureconsiderations.ca/the-s...-12th-overall/

06-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Here's our spin on Grigorenko:

More: http://futureconsiderations.ca/the-S...-12th-overall/
http://futureconsiderations.ca/the-s...-12th-overall/

Link didn't work but this one does

Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I believe it's auto-correct mucking things up. There was a typo in FC's original url/title with Sabres misspelled (-ers), but I had the quote in the OP already anyways. This LINK gets you there.

Last edited by Woodhouse: 06-23-2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Link
Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
Jack-ed up!

Yeah, it's definitely the autocorrect. Even if you paste the correct URL, the board screws it up by correcting the spelling of "Sabres".

Taro Tsujimoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:00 AM
jfb392

Dug up my analysis on him from November:
Quote:
I've loved Grigorenko since I downloaded a couple of his MHL (Russian junior hockey) games last year.
After his incredible performance at the U18's as an underage, the hype blew up and the pressure was on to get him over here.
I was desperately hoping that he'd stay in Russia so that we'd be able to take a risk on him, but of course it didn't work out that way..

I don't think he's ever going to be as dominant as Malkin (kind of obvious, as they don't really have the same pedigree), but he's that big center every team wants.
As crazy as it might sound, I personally like him more than Yakupov.
Yakupov pushes the pace of the game and Grigorenko slows it down to his, which I prefer.
He's not really a complete center, but he has the tools to be a Joe Thornton clone.

He makes everyone around him better and his offensive tools (anticipation, hockey sense, puck protection, vision) are off the charts.
He is also very confident when he handles the puck; it's kind of hard to quantify, but there's just a way that elite talents handle the puck like it's nothing and like they are in total control that makes them special.
To me he's a definitely a center, but he needs to improve his faceoffs still, which will come with maturity.

I think a lot of people are going to question his compete and some already have, which is unfortunate.
I see a player that has plenty of compete, but just like other centers that have the physical and mental tools that Grigorenko has, they think the game on a different level that allows them to remain calm in pressure situations.
Add that to the Russian factor and I think a lot of teams will have doubts, but I don't think I would.
I still feel the same way, except maybe the "he's not a complete center" statement.
He added a lot to his game this year.

jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:01 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
The value of Grigorenko at #12 is unreal. I said in the irc chat that this was the best high-end center the Sabres have drafted since Turgeon and no one corrected me. It's that big.
Because you are not wrong.

Or because I am that drunk.

Hang on.

No, it's because you are not wrong.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:13 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Again, he was asked about whether he was actually 18 years old, answering "I don't know, I never heard about this."

Weird response. Wouldn't a "yes I'm 18" be better?
"Mikhail, were you actually born in Kenya?"

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:32 AM
Manny*

You guys did great today. Two solid pieces going forward.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:13 AM
heartsabres*

What is with all his love for Buffalo, did he really want to come here or is he just saying the right things.

From reading reports it says Russians love Buffalo because of Mogilny...

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:47 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Could you imagine if we got Forsberg then in that trade up got Grig? Granted I think Dallas drafts Grig over Faska its still an idea to ponder. Content with Grig and Girgs

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:05 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
Here's hoping that 11 other teams didn't do their due diligence, and Grigorenko is Buffalo's Couturier.
Oilers did the brought him to Edmonton he was in considreation for the 1st overall. Our head scout Macgregor wrote a good report on him . http://oilersnation.com/2012/6/18/ft...ail-grigorenko He compared Grigo to Eric Staal He also Compared Galchenyuk to Milan Hedjuk saying he reminded him more than any center. Galchenyuk was not brought to Edmonton Oiler scouts had Grigorenko rated number 2 for Forwards by the looks of it.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:06 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I watched the draft at my buddies. When Forsberg began to fall, I was excited only because I knew that meant Faksa was falling. Devine's comments about the Russians had me thinking they were shying away from Grigorenko completely.

When 12 rolled around and I knew they had Faksa in their pocket, I was actually shocked (not in a bad way at all) that they took Grigorenko. I was ecstatic.

He's going to play in this league next year. Frankly, I want him playing next to Pominville for the entire season. It'd do Grigorenko good playing next to a consummate professional such as Jason.

Vanek-Hodgson-Tropp
Leino-Grigorenko-Pominville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Tropp just isn't a top 6 forward.. I'd rather have Gerbe if anyone up there with Vanek and Hodgson because he is faster and just as physical as Tropp and has a better offensive side. Tropp should be on a grinding line.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:20 AM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralonzo View Post
"Mikhail, were you actually born in Kenya?"
Birth Certificate LOL

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:25 AM
HiddenInLight

Super excited about this pick....i have also heard that besides being near fluent in english, he also speaks fairly good french. Being able to speak 3 languages is very impressive, especially learning 2 in 1 year...

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:38 AM
sivert

He doesn't speak French. Watch his interview with Alyonka Larionov, he clarifies that. Only Russian and English.

sivert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:41 AM
koarl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
That story is bs. Someone on his team with connections got jealous and suspected age lie, an FSB(KGB) investigation turned up negative. Story is nothing more than a beating of his rating.
Congrats guys, as someone who followed him since he was 15, I think he is the best player in this draft, with amazIng potential.
thanks for clarifying this yet again!

i see a lot of determination in him. im sure he will make the team in camp. darcy, give him his EL deal he wants asap.

the last time i was ecstatic like this was when thomas vanek got drafted.

i still cannot believe we got 2 guys almost all fans would have drafted if they could, yet even would have traded up for grigorenko if necessary as well.

a lot of kudos to darcy on this one.

i really hope vanek will re-sign with buffalo. his only other choice would be going back to minnesota. but i hope darcy can hold him here. he will be a great mentor for the new guys (and even hodgson) and this is something they can build around. with armia in the pipeline as well, buffalo has a bright future.

as it was said numerous times: you dont trade for that center, you draft them. now we have got 2. lol. unbelievable.

koarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Dug up my analysis on him from November:

I still feel the same way, except maybe the "he's not a complete center" statement.
He added a lot to his game this year.
I think I was the one who asked you for a breakdown of him.

I love this. Both guys are exactly what we need in terms of position and style. People were freaking out about chossing a Dman with our pick and I will admit I was one of them. Darcy and the gang knows what are needs are, and we should have never been worried. After last years FA, the Trade Deadline and this Draft.....well lets just say I won't be doubting them anytime soon.

Fly Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Grigorenko's OP has been fully updated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Pre-Draft News Articles

C Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (2012 draft) (HFB1, HFB2, HFB3)

Draft tracker: 5 questions with Mikhail Grigorenko, Quebec Remparts (Y! Sports)

NHL Draft Prospect Profile #2: Mikhail Grigorenko (Last Word)

Pat Hickey: Mikhail Grigorenko’s stock went down in QMJHL Playoffs (Montreal Gazette)

Grigorenko eager to prove his doubters wrong (NHL.com)

Mikhail Grigorenko tries to fight back (Montreal Gazette)

Mikhail Grigorenko – The Next Ones: 2012 NHL Draft Prospect Profile: The Boom-Bust Factor Looms (THW)

NHL draft: Does Mikhail Grigorenko have heart for NHL? (Montreal Gazette)

Draft Preview: No. 3 – Mikhail Grigorenko (The Score)

Grange on draft: Roy comes to Grigorenko's aid (Sportsnet)

Post-Draft News Articles

Mikhail Grigorenko happy in Buffalo, never spoke to Russian-lovin’ Capitals (Y! Sports)

Sabres take Russian center Grigorenko at 12 spot (TBN)

Impressive Grigorenko falls to Sabres (TBN)

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:22 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
What is with all his love for Buffalo, did he really want to come here or is he just saying the right things.

He's from the some hometown as Mogilny.

As to that last statement about Russians in general probably has some truth to it as well...Mogilny was really the first Russian to make his mark on this side of the pond. There's a pic of a Ovechkin as a kid wearing a Sabres jacket...he looked up to Mogilny.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:46 AM
HogtownSabresfan

Quote:

You say the right stuff at these moments for sure. But one thing about Russia. If you are from some hole in the former Soviet Union, Buffalo can look pretty good. Get outside the big cities like Moscow and Russia is bleak. Buffalo has a Cheescake Factory even.

HogtownSabresfan is offline   Reply With Quote