HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers don’t expect to re-sign Prust (Signs with Habs 4yrs $10m)

Old
06-23-2012, 02:36 AM
17futurecap

vCash: 500
Rangers don’t expect to re-sign Prust (Signs with Habs 4yrs $10m)

Quote:
PITTSBURGH — Impending free agent Brandon Prust is likely in his final days as a Ranger, general manager Glen Sather told The Post last night before the first round of the Entry Draft.

“I don’t think we’re going to get that one done,” said the GM, whose club selected defenseman Brady Skjei from the USA-Under 18 Development Team with the 28th overall pick in the draft. “I like him, the team likes him, everybody likes him ... but I’m not married to him.”

The 28-year-old winger, who is coming off a two-year deal in which he earned $800,000 per, is believed to be seeking a three-year contract in the range of $6.6 million while the Rangers are offering approximately $1.2 million less than that over the life of the contract.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1ybF8LGPk

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:39 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

Sather do what ever you do, do.not.let.him.go!! It would actually hurt to see prusty leave.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:42 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Love Pruster. Not for 2.2 million dollars though. Slats is right on, sadly, if Prust is trying to get that contract.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:43 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

If he wants 2.2 million per season, you have to move on. He's a 4th liner, good on the PK, but besides the off-ice pluses he has, that's about it.

He's a great character guy, but at that price, it will hurt this team long term. Unless they can move Rupp for nothing in salary in return at the NHL level, Prust will be a goner.

Sad, but it's too much money to spend on the 4th line. Someone could be gotten at a cheaper price and can do the same things and possibly more.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:44 AM
17futurecap

Love the Pruster, but even offering him 1.8 million seems like too much for him.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Barnaby

He should have the Rupp salary

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:48 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
He should have the Rupp salary
He should, yeah.

Sadly, Rupp shouldn't, and is probably eating up the space.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:56 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 12500
He wants 2.2 million? Are you kidding me?

Net Front Presence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:57 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

they're offering him 1.8m annually for 3 years and he won't take it? is his agent stupid?

sounds like both guys are holding out for an offer. 1.8 is generous. prusty should take it. he's not dubinsky. he can't get away with holding out for more money than he deserves. we can afford to lose him

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:58 AM
17futurecap

Hopefully Prust comes back to Sather July 1, and gives him a chance to match whatever offer he gets, but no way Sather can do 2.2. The positive for Prust is July 1 is always about spending money, and he will probably get his 2.2 per year from a team.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:58 AM
egelband

yep. every business has a salary structure. smart teams will stick religiously to their structure. they just cant overpay for a fourth-liner. if they envision him as a third-liner, they could pay him more. but i think he's just not that skilled. maybe another team sees him that way and will pay him that way. good for him. and maybe the rangers are wrong. but i sense that - unfortunately - they're correct and we won't be seeing prust in a rangers jersey.
he's an excellent ranger, and i'll miss him. but such is life in the salary-capped world.
i kind thought he was happy to occupy that fourth-line role, but, i guess he has greater ambitions. good luck to him - except when he plays the rangers.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:02 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1SHOP View Post
He wants 2.2 million? Are you kidding me?
i think that salary is in-line with an everyday third-line player. prust believes himself to be that kind of player. so he expects to get paid that way and play that role. can't really blame him for being confident in himself.
he probably is that kind of player, on a lesser team. but on the rangers, the third line has got to score goals. prust has almost no offensive game.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:03 AM
benneyb

Yeah, $2.2mm per year is crazy money for Prusty, will hate to see him go though.

benneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:13 AM
Vidic15

I'm absolutely fine with this. He shouldn't get 1.8 or 1.6mil. Bottom six forwards should be filled by cheap, young players.

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:18 AM
Vinny

If he would score goals then ...

I think it is business talk, Sather is sending a message and Prust now knows he reached the border.

Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:24 AM
TheRightWay

vCash: 505
It's going to ****ing suck to lose Prust. He's a warrior, he plays his role incredibly well, he fits the identity of this team perfectly, and he's well liked in the locker room. However, his demands are way too high and he's not exactly in pristine condition. He's not the first player of his ilk to leave the organization (Ortmeyer, Avery, etc) and he won't be the last. The team shouldn't overpay him just for sentimental sake. A part of me is frustrated with Prust because he was really a nobody until he came here and Tortorella helped him redefine himself as a player (though not to take away any credit from Prust's hard work) so I wish he would look at that and want to stay because of it. At the same time, though, it's a business and I'm not going to hold it against him if he thinks he has a better opportunity elsewhere.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:33 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

WHAT A ****ING DAY!!!!

For 2.2M Prust can take off. But wow.

HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:37 AM
AJRanger

Love Prust, but I'm absolutely fine with this. You can't be paying him that kind of money.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:39 AM
rickyrod

Jesus, he's gonna end up in Philly or Pitt and kill us for the next few seasons.

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:44 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Campbell resigned with Bruins
Slater ditto withtheJets
Both got 1,6 M for 3 years
Both have better stats than Prust
Prust has better intangibles which should make them about equal pay wise

Boyle has 1,7 M
Rupp 1,6 M

No way is it justifiable doling out 2,2 M for Brandon Prust in a 3 year deal
See ya
Too bad
Konopka incoming?
Or Tootoo maybe?

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:48 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
It's going to ****ing suck to lose Prust. He's a warrior, he plays his role incredibly well, he fits the identity of this team perfectly, and he's well liked in the locker room. However, his demands are way too high and he's not exactly in pristine condition. He's not the first player of his ilk to leave the organization (Ortmeyer, Avery, etc) and he won't be the last. The team shouldn't overpay him just for sentimental sake. A part of me is frustrated with Prust because he was really a nobody until he came here and Tortorella helped him redefine himself as a player (though not to take away any credit from Prust's hard work) so I wish he would look at that and want to stay because of it. At the same time, though, it's a business and I'm not going to hold it against him if he thinks he has a better opportunity elsewhere.
Yeah, really. You never had a real role on a team until you came here, and now you won't resign over the difference of 500k per year as a FOURTH LINER?

I mean...come on.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:53 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

I'll take Jordin Tootoo over Prust. Same kind of game, Tootoo is a better skater. Prust is the better fighter, but if Tootoo comes a lot cheaper, sign me up.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:56 AM
nyrage

I like Prust, but he's not worth the money. Too bad Sather will probably just blow that money overpaying some 4th liner/goon.

nyrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:57 AM
gravey9

In fairness to Prust, while I really hope he comes back and at a price that works for the team, i do understand why he's trying to get as much as he can. With the way he has to play to stay in the league, he's time to make as much many as he can before he retires is now. So, 500k x3 years is actually 1.5 million. That kind of money can do a lot for a family when he retires by the age 32 or 33... And once you pay taxes on that, pay the agent, etc it's probably half that. so i can see both sides. I would just like him back. he's a great part of our identity and protects a lot of guys from having to drop the mitts.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:15 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Love Prust, but if his agent's contract demands really are at 2.2 megabucks per season I reckon he can take his act to another team.

I wish he would stay for what NY wants to pay him, but this is a business after all.

The Rangers will have to find another grinding winger to play on the 4th line and hopefully take shifts on the PK

My mentor always said, "business is business and love is BS."

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote