HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zemgus Girgensons, Center – 14th Overall, 2012

Old
06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Deevo

vCash: 500
So, essentially.

An expiring Paul Gaustad in a bunk year, for Zemgus Girgensons. I like this A LOT.

Deevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:10 PM
jfb392

Here's my scouting report on him from a few days ago:
Quote:
What you need to know: 6' 1'' 186 lbs, left shot, from Riga, Latvia.

Scouting report: A power forward with good hockey sense all over the rink. More of a playmaker but also possesses a dangerous shot. Defensively responsible. Good skater with above-average mobility. Embraces physical play. Dogged work ethic -- will go through a wall to win. Strong leadership and intangibles. Needs to add mass.

Why he'd be a great pick: Great combination of European skill and North American style. Is the type of player every team covets and similar types are usually key players on championship teams. Likely available at 12.

Projection: Top six center with intangibles capable of playing in any situation.
Wingspan was measured as 6' 3.5'' at the Combine.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Agreed. Just because he could go to the Amerks next year doesn't mean he should go to the Amerks next year. Let him mature, physically and emotionally, with his peer group. Let him grow and develop. Don't Novotny this kid.
Biggest part to me. If taking him out of his peer group isn't going to truly benefit him, then why rob him of the experience? Let him take his lumps as a freshman and then emerge as a player dominant respective to most of his peer group. Let him build himself as a leader, physically, and as a player. The AHL is such a secondary option in so many cases these days; take Armia for example, he's obviously better off playing in a top league with grown men than he is in the muddled, muted mix of the AHL.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:18 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
awesomeness
Another Landeskog....? but bigger!

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 11:23 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Another Landeskog....? but bigger!
Don't want to start the hype, but yeah, he plays a similar style.
He embraces the physical game, can score, and plays a two-way game.
There's questions about his offensive upside too just like there was with Landeskog.

Old
06-22-2012, 11:26 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

WGR interview: http://podcast.wgr550.com/wgr2/3531107.mp3

Old
06-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
ZG on Kelowna:

Quote:
“You know, first of all I don’t see my future in the CHL,” Girgensons said after his team’s 4-1 win in Fargo. “I talked with other CHL teams that were interested in me. I thought about The Q (The Quebec Major Junior Hockey League) and the Quebec Remparts, but (Kelowna) drafted me and didn’t say anything to me about it. After that, I felt they disrespected me a little bit. They pushed it a little bit onto my adviser and I don’t think he really liked it.”
Quote:
Girgensons said he was aware of Hamilton’s comments and didn’t agree with them.

“I don’t think it was a great move by them,” Girgensons said about Hamilton’s comments. “If they had said ‘We support his decision to go to Vermont’, that would have been fine but they said I should not go there. They disrespected my thoughts and I felt like they didn’t even trust me.”

In addition to being drafted by Kelowna, Girgensons was taken in the second round of the KHL Junior Draft by HC CSKA Moscow.

“The KHL came out of nowhere,” Girgensons said. “That was not even close that I’d go there. I keep my plans straight. I don’t have a Plan B because it would distract me from Plan A. The plan has always been to go to Vermont. That’s been Plan A. There’s never been a Plan B.”
I don't think he's going to the Dub. And his father wants him to get an education -- kid is dedicated and firm, can't see him turning away from that.

06-22-2012, 11:58 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
His English is really good how long has he been here?

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:13 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
I don't think he's going to the Dub. And his father wants him to get an education -- kid is dedicated and firm, can't see him turning away from that.
Good for him. Obviously I'd like to see him in Rochester in a couple years but let him do what he feels is right. I frankly get sick of the attitude that seems to come out of the CHL circles towards guys committing to the NCAA route.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:17 AM
jfb392

Quote:
ZG on Kelowna:

I wouldn't rule it out.
They have Kelowna connections and he can get a fantastic education there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
His English is really good how long has he been here?
He's been here since the age of 15.
He played for the Selects program then joined the Green Mountain Glades organization in the Eastern Junior Hockey League in 09-10 and began the season with their Jr. B team in the Empire league before finishing with the Jr. A team because he was far too good for the EmJHL.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:25 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Honestly can't decide if I like this pick or Grigs better.... Awesome day

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:29 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post

He's been here since the age of 15.
He played for the Selects program then joined the Green Mountain Glades organization in the Eastern Junior Hockey League in 09-10 and began the season with their Jr. B team in the Empire league before finishing with the Jr. A team because he was far too good for the EmJHL.
Thanks

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:34 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Wow, didn't realize all of the talent that has come out of UofV: Marty St. Louis, Tim Thomas, Patrick Sharp, even John "I don't always score goals through the side of the net, but when I do, I get away with it" LeClair.

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:56 AM
Volt

vCash: 283
Sens fan here, Zemgus is going to be such an awesome player I cant wait to see him play (just not against the Sens hahaha). You guys definitely came out as the winners of this draft.

Volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:28 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
Sens fan here, Zemgus is going to be such an awesome player I cant wait to see him play (just not against the Sens hahaha). You guys definitely came out as the winners of this draft.
I felt the same way when you guys took Zibanejad last year.
He was one of my favorites and I was really disappointed to see him come off the board, but he's going to be a good one for you.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:44 AM
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey

Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Here's what we like about Girgensons:

Quote:
He has a short, choppy stride that produces incredible power and acceleration. He is constantly moving his feet and moves extremely well with the puck, essentially hitting top speed in just a few strides. He plays both ends, covering and supporting teammates. His game seems focused on getting the puck with speed; once his team gains possession, Girgensons explodes from wherever he is and makes himself available for a pass. He uses his speed to gain the offensive zone and to draw penalties. His shot is quick off his blade and usually labelled for a corner.
More: http://futureconsiderations.ca/flame...-14th-overall/

Old
06-23-2012, 01:57 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
2 Sam(my)s, 1 avatar

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Taro Tsujimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Vickers View Post
Here's what we like about Girgensons:

More: http://futureconsiderations.ca/flame...-14th-overall/
I'm pretty sure the Flames weren't the ones that traded up to get him, contrary to what the URL states.

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:58 AM
jfb392

My take on Zemgus from November in our draft thread:
Quote:
My take on Girgensons: he's absolutely a complete player as far as I'm concerned.
He plays all 200 feet, goes to the tough areas to score and retrieve pucks, and plays with his heart on his sleeve.
He loves to set the tone, whether it's with physical play, work ethic, or by using his skills to generate chances.
He's exactly the type of player this team needs (and pretty much any team, honestly) and is the kind that winning teams have because he gives his all every game.
And here's some older quotes from his coach in Dubuque, Jim Montgomery:
Quote:
“At the beginning of the year, we had all our players write down their two best attributes,” Montgomery recalled. “Zemgus wrote ‘puck protection’ and ‘I will never give up.’ And I couldn’t agree more. I describe him as a relentless player. His intensity, his never-say-die attitude; you would think he comes from Moose Jaw.”
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...irgensons.html

Old
06-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Girgensons has some serious ink, as well. They showed it in a TSN segment. It's somewhere on that website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Here it is.

This guy will be a fan favorite.
Can't believe we got him either, even though he was my most realistic in September/October (and Grigs was my best player overall).

Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:18 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanothan View Post
This is 10x better than anything I could have hoped for

All hail Darth Regier!!

You need multiple picks to rebuild, Jay.

Sheesh, Girgensons has prison ink. And he looks like a felon. Can't be bad for a hockey club

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:23 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Little read up on Girgensons.

http://www.ushl.com/news.php?news_id=557

I can't wait for this guy man.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:41 AM
BalticWarrior

I`d be interested to hear opinion of Sabres fans do you think girgensons has a legit chance at becomming 2 line centre or is he going to be a 3 line grinder?

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:03 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I`d be interested to hear opinion of Sabres fans do you think girgensons has a legit chance at becomming 2 line centre or is he going to be a 3 line grinder?
If you look at what we project to have in, say, 3 years, I think you're looking at a "3rd line" player as Grigorenko, Hodgson, and Ennis are all there as potential 1st/2nd line centers. However, Buffalo tends to roll 3 or even 4 lines evenly and doesn't always have a checking line -- that is, a line dedicated to shutting down the oppositions best line.

I'm thinking with Girgensons they will probably have him on a strong two-way line that often -- but not constantly -- plays against the oppositions top line, and that gets about even minutes with the 1st and 2nd lines at even strength. I also imagine Ruff will mold him into an extremely good penalty killer as he has done that with far less ideal players.

It's hard to say what our wingers will look like exactly by the time he's ready for the NHL but right now there is offensive wing talent on every line and I think it's fair to say he will be able to play with offensively capable linemates right off the bat.

The long and short of it is that he should get plenty of opportunities both offensively and defensively. It's a good situation for him because what he brings is going to be very valued to the organization and is a rarity both on the big club and in our pipeline. He won't be rushed to the NHL but he should be in a good situation to succeed when he gets there.

I'm extremely excited to have him and even moreso that we managed to get him as our second selection. Many of us would have been thrilled if he were our first choice.

Edit: I should add that it's every bit possible that he ends up on, say, the 2nd line as a center or a winger. For example, Ennis is penciled in as a center now but he'd be the first guy to move to wing to accommodate ideal line groupings. Grigorenko seems too ideal a center to me to move to wing and Hodgson also should probably always be a center. Girgensons, while probably ideal as a center, seems very capable of being a strong two-way, power game winger not entirely unlike a Dustin Brown, so I think there's a legitimate chance he gets a good amount of time at wing. You have to understand that our coach juggles lines often several times a week and often even within games when things aren't going well offensively. Girgensons should get to play with plenty of different guys and in plenty of situations if he shows himself capable. I also imagine he will spend time in Rochester of the AHL where he'd likely get a chance to have an important offensive role before heading to the big show.

One final note is that the Sabres have two smallish-to-average-sized two-way speedy centers in the pipeline in Kevin Sundher and Daniel Catenacci. Either of these guys could play wing as well as center and both are reasonably safe bets to be 3rd line NHLers with potential 2nd line ability. That obviously overlaps with Girgensons in some ways and it'll be interesting to see how all these guys who CAN play center or who look to be around 2nd-3rd line players all shake out.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 06-23-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old
06-23-2012, 04:09 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
If you look at what we project to have in, say, 3 years, I think you're looking at a "3rd line" player as Grigorenko, Hodgson, and Ennis are all there as potential 1st/2nd line centers. However, Buffalo tends to roll 3 or even 4 lines evenly and doesn't always have a checking line -- that is, a line dedicated to shutting down the oppositions best line.

I'm thinking with Girgensons they will probably have him on a strong two-way line that often -- but not constantly -- plays against the oppositions top line, and that gets about even minutes with the 1st and 2nd lines at even strength. I also imagine Ruff will mold him into an extremely good penalty killer as he has done that with far less ideal players.

It's hard to say what our wingers will look like exactly by the time he's ready for the NHL but right now there is offensive wing talent on every line and I think it's fair to say he will be able to play with offensively capable linemates right off the bat.

The long and short of it is that he should get plenty of opportunities both offensively and defensively. It's a good situation for him because what he brings is going to be very valued to the organization and is a rarity both on the big club and in our pipeline. He won't be rushed to the NHL but he should be in a good situation to succeed when he gets there.

I'm extremely excited to have him and even moreso that we managed to get him as our second selection. Many of us would have been thrilled if he were our first choice.

Edit: I should add that it's every bit possible that he ends up on, say, the 2nd line as a center or a winger. For example, Ennis is penciled in as a center now but he'd be the first guy to move to wing to accommodate ideal line groupings. Grigorenko seems to ideal a center to me to move to wing and Hodgson also should probably always be a center. Girgensons, while probably ideal as a center, seems very capable of being a strong two-way, power game winger not entirely unlike a Dustin Brown, so I think there's a legitimate chance he gets a good amount of time at wing. You have to understand that our coach juggles lines often several times a week and often even within games when things aren't going well offensively. Girgensons should get to play with plenty of different guys and in plenty of situations if he shows himself capable. I also imagine he will spend time in Rochester of the AHL where he'd likely get a chance to have an important offensive role before heading to the big show.
So,in the best case scenario,how much points could girgensons rack up in one season?

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:19 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
So,in the best case scenario,how much points could girgensons rack up in one season?
I don't feel comfortable enough in my knowledge of Girgensons potential to really say but I think he'd be in a situation where a pretty good player could easily put up 30 and upwards of 50 points once he gets acclimated.

For instance, Marcus Foligno played on our 3rd line once he made the jump up to the NHL late in the season. This line was purely offensive, centered by Tyler Ennis and winged by Foligno and Drew Stafford. They drew easy match-ups in terms of who was defending them and got ice time comparable to the 1st and 2nd lines. They went on a ridiculous tear where they were getting, collectively, multiple points a game. Foligno ended up with 13 points in his 14 NHL games this season -- not only his first NHL season but his first season as a pro, period.

We don't expect Marcus to put up any kind of pace like that next season but we are expecting a solid 30 points with 40 probably being a bit too optimistic. Keep in mind that Marcus was never considered a guy with much offensive potential as a prospect but he has continually improved that area once he got acclimated with a level of play. Girgensons seems to me to have far more offensive talent but both are strong, physical players who will probably have a a reasonable amount in common when it comes to style.

I guess that means that Girgensons, if he's as good as those better informed than I seem to think he can be, gets acclimated to the NHL and winds up in a situation like I described in my earlier post, then I reckon he could get upwards of 50 points, though I imagine he's the type that gets a lot more goals than assists. The important thing is that he WILL have a chance to contribute offensively because the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd lines all get plenty of even strength ice time, all have some offensively talented players, and the 3rd line draws favorable match-ups defensively.