HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs have bought out Scott Gomez

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
Louis Jean said same thing month ago when Jean said Gomez buyout. ....Bob Mac told ya why it's way beyond "DUMB".We just got rid of a big head scratchin mind boggling GM.

Stéphane Leroux said Habs we taking TT.....Ecklund said what?
I just mean its late friday night. Its not the time that you tend to hear news of this magnitude coming out. Anyways, I'm still skeptical about this being true.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:45 AM
Saintpatrick

I don't buy it. There's alot of smart people at the helm of this organization now and I don't see them doing this. To hell with being classy the smart thing to do is to wait for the new CBA then either buy him out if there's an amnesty clause or bury him in the minors. His career is over regardless.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:38 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Dumbest move ever. Shop him all summer, for a bag of pucks, then gas him to AHL if no one bites.

If everybody here knows this, the Habs know this.

What a useless rumour.

Last edited by bsl: 06-23-2012 at 04:46 AM.
Old
06-23-2012, 04:41 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardking89 View Post
I don't buy it. There's alot of smart people at the helm of this organization now and I don't see them doing this. To hell with being classy the smart thing to do is to wait for the new CBA then either buy him out if there's an amnesty clause or bury him in the minors. His career is over regardless.
We have been classy and every player in the NHL knows it. We gave Gomer every chance. There is zero risk of Habs being seen as harsh to players with gassing Gomer. Zero. And we never do this, this will be the first time I think.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:43 AM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
this last month too,same freaking "speculation"...Louis Jean that time,.

As Bob Mac says it's plain stupid....Now if Marc does it? kills the buzz of the draft pick ,and as Bob Mac says put's a light on the gm of not being smart, quote "dumbest thing any organization could possibly do ".

Buying out Gomez does Habs no good ...they buy him out ? his salary this year is 5 MILLION and his cap hit when bought out will be 3.5 million

Next year his salary is 4.5 million ,and if we buy him out his cap hit is 4.5 million!!!

buying him out = DUMB DUMB AND DUMBER.
If we indeed buy him out it's likely a Geoff Molson decision, the man's cheap.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:55 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
I don't buy that. You can tell from the front-office hirings the Habs have done that Molson has authorized additional spending beyond what most teams pay for hockey people.

Now, it may be the classy move to buy out a player whose is useful but overpaid, but in the case of a player who is just not putting up any points, I see nothing wrong with sending him to the minors or letting him go play in Europe.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:01 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
I agree the guy has to go! But why does Montreal have to be Classy all the time, New York is also Original 6, they sit guys in AHL, this is goona be a bad Cap penalty if true?

Old
06-23-2012, 06:00 AM
rickthegoon

I thought fat Tony was taking care of this little ' situation ' now ?

Old
06-23-2012, 06:27 AM
keepcalmandbeninja

Take care him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUyGG4PmELA

Old
06-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
I do keep saying though....Montreal is all about class. Think about others before they think about them. Sending Gomez in Europe or in the AHL goes beyond what the Habs are all about unfortunately. And you just can't send him wherever you want without bringing him to camp. You bring him to camp, you need to give him a fair chance. Which means he is still around no matter how you look at it. Keeping him around starts another freak show. And the last thing this organization wants is to go back at it.

You start with a clean state by taking the worst possible financial decision. Habs had a lose-lose decision here. If they decide to go that way, they are losing with class.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Schwang

Well, it would free up a contract. I mean, there is a roster limit, right? Why have this guy use up a roster spot in Hamilton? Also, wouldn't he have to agree to go to Europe? I doubt they could just send him. Anyway, the roster spot is the only reason I can see for this.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:43 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
The man's cheap? Geez, we've just hired 30 guys in the management.....compared to the 3 that was there before...how cheap is that?

Nothing about cheap. But EVERYTHING to do with what they'll interpret it as classless to ship him out in Europe or ask him to play with the Dogs. There was really 2 possibilities. Buy-him out or trade him to a team who wants to reach the floor. I hope that the last thing was looked out entirely and that even if we add something, we can't make a deal. Geez, add Weber absolutely free and Gomez to a team that has to reach the floor....

Old
06-23-2012, 06:58 AM
TennisMenace

If this is true then we have a lot of guys with no brains running our team. I agree- Hamilton awaits him.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
God, please no.

I don't want 8 mil dead cap space. Would be a horrible move.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:05 AM
SeriousHabs

If true, this sucks, but anyone who believes there is a team out there willing to trade for Gomez is delusional. Even poor teams who need to reach the cap won't grab him for the 1.8M$ difference on his cap and his actual salary. They can simply overpay a bunch of UFAs à la Panthers and still make the playoffs!

Anyways, true or not, this is not the GMs call. The owners call the shot here.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:07 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
No way they buy him out. He is sent down if anything.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:08 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
That is the smart cap management thing to do. It is not the smart profit making thing to do. Let's see which one the owners value the most.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
That's an unfair statement! Were Lucky that the Biggest Brewing Family in Canada still believes in Montreal, they could have easily bought the Leafs, Besides there's a cap, Your crazy!

Old
06-23-2012, 07:13 AM
Coco Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Makes sense financially to send him down, but not sure it's a smart "hockey move".
If I'm Sylvain Lefebvre, I don't want him near my team...and if I'm GM and I care about the development of my young players, I'm not sure I want Scott Gomez in Hamilton.

And all the drama it could generate if we send him down and he gets 25 points in 15 games...

Old
06-23-2012, 07:14 AM
UniverStalinGraduate*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousHabs View Post
That is the smart cap management thing to do. It is not the smart profit making thing to do. Let's see which one the owners value the most.
The habs best chance to have bigprofits is by going far in the playoffs. Buying Gomez out, for the next 2 sesasons directly negatively effect that.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

The most LOGICAL thing to do for us fans, who just don't care about the repercussions and about Gomez is CLEARLY to let him rot. But as an organization, chances are you think differently for all sorts of reasons. Molson is all about class as we saw with the Cammy jersey. To me, while some thinks that there's no chance we buy him out, I'm saying there is no chance we ask him to play in Poland or something either.

If anything, force Dallas to take him since they lost Ribeiro and they hired the guy who started this whole ****ing mess....Hey you never know, seems that history repeats itself. If Ribeiro was traded the year that Gainey came on board, maybe Gomez can be traded to the guy who got him in the first place....

Old
06-23-2012, 07:17 AM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The most LOGICAL thing to do for us fans, who just don't care about the repercussions and about Gomez is CLEARLY to let him rot. But as an organization, chances are you think differently for all sorts of reasons. Molson is all about class as we saw with the Cammy jersey. To me, while some thinks that there's no chance we buy him out, I'm saying there is no chance we ask him to play in Poland or something either.

If anything, force Dallas to take him since they lost Ribeiro and they hired the guy who started this whole ****ing mess....
Another tthing to keep in mind is do they want Gomez to rot in the minors considering how many prospects will be making their debut this upcoming season there ..

Do you want him with Kristo, Gallagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu etc..

Old
06-23-2012, 07:19 AM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
Title is missleading. Brunet asks a question. " Is Gomez really being bought out, as I am hearing?"

Much different then "Gomez bought out" as in the title.

Please change

Old
06-23-2012, 07:19 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Why dont the Habs lend him to Alaska in the ECHL?

He is sent down, but he gets to go home and collect his paycheck.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:20 AM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORiculous View Post
Title is missleading. Brunet asks a question. " Is Gomez really being bought out, as I am hearing?"

Much different then "Gomez bought out" as in the title.

Please change
He's right, lets not jump to conclusions...

Closed Thread