HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which center will have to go away?

View Poll Results: Who will have to be moved in the next 2-3 years?
Tomas Plekanec 37 22.98%
David Desharnais 36 22.36%
Lars Eller 15 9.32%
Louis Leblanc 3 1.86%
Alex Galchenyuk 1 0.62%
None. 2 of them can play on the wing. 69 42.86%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-23-2012, 05:25 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
It's clearly DD I love the guy but he really only works well with Patches, he is super small and I saw him get bounced off the puck many times, also he doesn't have a big name like a first roudn pick so he is easy to get rid of.
lol what??

Only works with Patches? Wrong. He worked with pretty much every player he's played with since coming up including guys like Pyatt.

Who cares if he's super small? He battles harder that 90% for guys who are bigger than him. How many goals have you seen when Desharnais was battling in front of the net for positioning or just screening the goalie? More than Latendresse in all his years here would be the correct answer.

He loses plenty of battles along the boards but he wins a bunch too a - more than he loses.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe he's also our only C with a faceoff % over 50.

As for a big name? His name is only going to get bigger as he continues to produce. Not to mention the French factor (even if I feel that's stupid).

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:26 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
Plekanec is our best forward... people who want to get rid of him because he's "old" (which is hilarious- he's not) are idiots. On any other team he'd get way more respect. Us Hab fans never know what we've got til it's gone.

He had a bad season last year, he even admitted to this. Which he tends to do openly. I think he would be getting way more respect if he wasn't European.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
We just saw Ribeiro get traded for Cody Eakin and a late 2nd...you really think Plekanec will fetch much more in this current market? It's easy to say he 'needs to go' but unless it helps the team it's pointless to trade him.
Ribeiro is entering the last year on his contract, so in all fairness Pleks would fetch quite a bit more. I am wondering though if Gainey didn't have something to do with this. I beleive there is some bad blood between the two. Maybe even Ribs asked for the trade when he saw Gainey was now upstairs in Dallas.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:18 AM
phillytennis

David Desharnais best passer and set-up man!!!

Desharnais sees the ice and the action on the ice far better than Eller.
Unfortunately, Eller can't make plays...it is not in him...doesn't have the ability.
Desharnais makes those around him better...his strength is his natural instinct.
Many on this board get overly caught up with size...Paccioretty and Coles
wouldn't have put up career numbers without Desharnais...certainly not with
Eller. If anything, the Habs should convert Eller to the wing...good skater with
a great shot. Desharnais is a perfect second line centre.

phillytennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:21 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
You only move a center when your young prospects have developed and shown they can come in to the league.

Pre-emptively trading a center to make room for Gally is stupid. You want until he is developed, comes in and produces in the league, forces your hand to make a strong hockey move. Then what you do is trade, Plekanec for example, for either young roster player, draft picks and/or prospects. That way you can constantly feed prospects in and out of your system.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:58 AM
MakeTheGoalsLarger

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You only move a center when your young prospects have developed and shown they can come in to the league.

Pre-emptively trading a center to make room for Gally is stupid. You want until he is developed, comes in and produces in the league, forces your hand to make a strong hockey move. Then what you do is trade, Plekanec for example, for either young roster player, draft picks and/or prospects. That way you can constantly feed prospects in and out of your system.
that's what i think too.

It makes sense to eventually trade Plekanec, because he's obviously the one with the better value. But right now, he's the only center with decent experience in the team, unless we still consider Gomez a member of the team.

They could trade Eller right away though. I don't believe he'll ever be anything special.

MakeTheGoalsLarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:00 AM
WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Alex Galchenyuk.

WolfgangAmadeusEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Let him develop first guys..

DD can easily be converted to wing and Leblanc isnt a center anymore.
IMO, DD will give way to smaller wingers such as Leblanc & Gallagher. We can move forward with two smallish wingers, but the days of loading up the top six forwards with Smurf size players is over for this team.

That said, I believe Tomas will be moved first.

We are talking about 2-4yrs down the road, correct??

Last edited by Uwey: 06-23-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Timeline.
Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Uwey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheGoalsLarger View Post

They could trade Eller right away though. I don't believe he'll ever be anything special.

& I believe you're wrong. Young Mr. Eller has all the assets to be an excellent #2 centerman in this league. Size, skating, decent hands, his defense came a long way last season.

Again, fans need to calm down & let these kids evolve & develop.

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

You look at Eller play and you see the talent is there. He just doesn't know how to use it yet. He often shows flashes, but he has trouble understanding how to create offense. I believe that will change next season. He has the size, the hands, the vision and the defensive smarts to be a dominant two way player.

I'd be very disappointed if they traded DD. He is a great playmaker, a crafty player that is not soft for his size. Of course he doesn't hit much, but he's not scared of traffic and he doesn't shy away from being hit. I think he can be a serviceable player for the Canadiens for a few years. I think that fans should at least give him time to really adapt to the NHL. He's played about half a season on the first line and he didn't look out of place. I think he could really impress us next season. As for producing only with Cole and Pacioretty, give your head a shake. The guy produced with everyone he was put with. You can point out his flaws all you want, but he can produce with about anyone at the NHL level.

Plekanec is probably the odd man out once Galchenyuk is ready. Unless they shuffle things around. DD or Eller to the wings. As it's been mentioned earlier, at this point Leblanc is a winger. I don't think he played center at all last season. Or maybe for a game or two because of injuries.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:43 AM
MXD

Next season? Plek or Eller.

After ? Depends on DD's contract.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:46 AM
icerocket

Eller will be better than DD.

In fact he already is. Give Eller DD's linemates and see magic happen.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:53 AM
Aurel Joliat

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post

Not fair

Plekanec should be traded. Maybe not this year but next year for sure

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:55 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbag00 View Post
If Eller improves next year, they will trade Plekanec.
Yeah otherwise, Eller should be packaged.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:00 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
You look at Eller play and you see the talent is there. He just doesn't know how to use it yet. He often shows flashes, but he has trouble understanding how to create offense. I believe that will change next season. He has the size, the hands, the vision and the defensive smarts to be a dominant two way player.

I'd be very disappointed if they traded DD. He is a great playmaker, a crafty player that is not soft for his size. Of course he doesn't hit much, but he's not scared of traffic and he doesn't shy away from being hit. I think he can be a serviceable player for the Canadiens for a few years. I think that fans should at least give him time to really adapt to the NHL. He's played about half a season on the first line and he didn't look out of place. I think he could really impress us next season. As for producing only with Cole and Pacioretty, give your head a shake. The guy produced with everyone he was put with. You can point out his flaws all you want, but he can produce with about anyone at the NHL level.

Plekanec is probably the odd man out once Galchenyuk is ready. Unless they shuffle things around. DD or Eller to the wings. As it's been mentioned earlier, at this point Leblanc is a winger. I don't think he played center at all last season. Or maybe for a game or two because of injuries.
Seeing Pleks traded to make room for DD is

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
and DD is not a softie?
really?

Plek gets the hard minutes
PK
PP
and he's soft?

LMFAO
NO DD is not a softy, he contrary to Plekanec will often go to the net and stand in front of it. Plekanec is a choke job when we need him as well.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:03 AM
GordonGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeTheGoalsLarger View Post
that's what i think too.

100 % my opinion, guys like him are a dime a dozen you cant be a center in this league and get 22 assist in 163 games, the guy does absolutely nothing for his linesmate

yes hes big,yes has some very flashy moves but the guy just cant pass the puck

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Plekanec out, we need to get rid of the small softies... OUT PLEKY!
no out MIDGET

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post

Delusional sometimes?

Eller finished last season with 3 assists in his LAST 42 games.

DD had 14 assists in 43 games in 2010-11 in limited ice time with the likes of Pyatt and Co.

Eller has 22 assists in 163 career games ; DD has 59 in 130 games

DD has an assist rate per game of 3.58 times that of Eller.

Eller's lack of playmaking ability and poor faceoff performance makes a shift to wing inevitable.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Delusional sometimes?

Eller finished last season with 3 assists in his LAST 42 games.

DD had 14 assists in 43 games in 2010-11 in limited ice time with the likes of Pyatt and Co.

Eller has 22 assists in 163 career games ; DD has 59 in 130 games

DD has an assist rate per game of 3.58 times that of Eller.

Eller's lack of playmaking ability and poor faceoff performance makes a shift to wing inevitable.
Eller was centering our best line when he was paired with AK-Moen. He showed interesting offensive upside every time he was centering decently offensive players, and versus weaker opponents, he absolutely dominated.

DD was given our two best wingers. Plekanec didn't even have that luxury despite being our best center.

One center was given our best wingers, mainly used in an offensive role and given favorable match ups, while the other was used in a defensive role and given scrappers most of the time. Not quite fair to compare them based on points.

Eller has no business being on the wing, and if he was able to convert more of his chances last season, he would have had a breakout year. I expect him to have that breakout season this year or the next, but he needs better wingers, and must be given the opportunity to blossom. Using him strictly as a shutdown center won't really help that.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:10 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
This is the best part of the draft..

Now everyone else is **** and we have to cut the throat of one of our younger players to make room.

No decisions have to be made yet. Those questioning Ellers potential are going to look stupid next season.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Riggins

Easy. In a few years:

Galch #1
Pleks #2
Eller #3

Desharnais LW
Leblanc RW

Riggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:36 PM
TheBuriedHab

Pleks needs to stay. He will be the perfect guy in the 2 hole or even 3 hole. My guess is DD will be gone in a couple years, Leblanc is better on the wing. We will see if Eller can be a number 2 or forever be a 3.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Coach Brisebois*

For now: Gomez to LW (keep him, DD, and Gionta on different lines)
For later: DD to LW/RW (keep him and Gionta and eventually Gallagher on on different lines)

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:47 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
NO DD is not a softy, he contrary to Plekanec will often go to the net and stand in front of it. Plekanec is a choke job when we need him as well.
Plekanec was given a bag of pucks; a bag of cement and an oft-injured short dude to play with; I think he may have had a pillow as a linemate for a couple of games as well

DD was given the twin towers in order to isolate him

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if he was 2" taller and named Donaldson instead of Desharnais?

As popular or unpopular as my next suggestion might be - get DD a great start to the year and package him for a missing piece (buy low sell high) because we all know Gallagher is on his way and heaven forbid we have too many small guys on this team

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:48 PM
AntonCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by wethreekings View Post
this is the best part of the draft..

Now everyone else is **** and we have to cut the throat of one of our younger players to make room.

No decisions have to be made yet. those questioning ellers potential are going to look stupid next season.
this

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote