HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Kitchener Rangers (MOD EDIT: Alumni winning the Calder Trophy)

Old
06-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Hutzler

vCash: 500
Kitchener Rangers (MOD EDIT: Alumni winning the Calder Trophy)

The last 2 winners of the Calder Trophy (Skinner and Landeskog) have both come from the Kitchener Rangers.

Is there any chance they could do it again with Ryan Murphy or is the competition to big?

Last edited by Majik1987: 06-22-2012 at 12:40 AM. Reason: title update
Hutzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 03:26 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutzler View Post
The last 2 winners of the Calder Trophy (Skinner and Landeskog) have both come from the Kitchener Rangers.

Is there any chance they could do it again with Ryan Murphy or is the competition to big?
I guess there's always a chance, but I wouldn't bet on it. First of all, one of the Kitchener alumni would have to make his NHL team (I wouldn't count on Murphy being that guy though). Then he would have to have a standout year just to be a finalist.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:57 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I guess there's always a chance, but I wouldn't bet on it. First of all, one of the Kitchener alumni would have to make his NHL team (I wouldn't count on Murphy being that guy though). Then he would have to have a standout year just to be a finalist.
Radek Faksa won't have to compete against Aaron Ekblad next year for the Calder.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 09:11 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:

I don't expect a Ranger winning it next year, but of all Rangers who may be "in the running" so to speak, I'm betting Faksa has a better chance than Murphy or Jeremy Morin.

Maybe our next candidate to have a real shot at this award is John Gibson two or three years from now.

EvenSteven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 12:33 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
Radek Faksa won't have to compete against Aaron Ekblad next year for the Calder.
LOL - I'm really hoping Faksa won't have a shot at it, since he'll be gunning for the OHL awards!

Old
06-22-2012, 11:49 PM
EvenSteven

Nice to see Faksa get drafted by Dallas. They have a history of returning players to junior rather than rushing them.

Also, Trouba being drafted by Winnipeg is nice too. Considering they returned Sol and Melchiori here last year for their OA seasons, they obviously hold Kitchener in high enough regard to perhaps influence the Trouba camp that Kitchener would be best for his development.

However, I wasn't encouraged by Trouba's interview after being drafted. He said education was important to him and his family and looked forward to going to Michigan State. No mention of the Rangers at all.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

He mentioned Michigan because Duthie brought up the Rangers as a next season option and not college. Players listen to the team that drated him and if Winnipeg wants him here he'll go to Kitchener.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:09 AM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
He mentioned Michigan because Duthie brought up the Rangers as a next season option and not college. Players listen to the team that drated him and if Winnipeg wants him here he'll go to Kitchener.
I'd bet they go with his wishes this year, and then look at his progression and consider influencing him next year.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:03 PM
EvenSteven

Quote:
I'd bet they go with his wishes this year, and then look at his progression and consider influencing him next year.

That makes a lot of sense. I will argue though, that he won't get anywhere near the icetime in Michigan than he would in Kitchener. The Jets will emphasize that to him.

Trouba has been one of the best, if not the best d-man on his team for years. Consequently, he sees huge icetime year in and year out. If he were to come to Kitchener, that wouldn't change. He'd be pencilled in next to Ryan Murphy on the top pairing and see icetime in all situations. Most nights he'd see around 30 minutes a game as Cody Sol did last year.

That isn't usually the case when you're a rookie at the NCAA level - especially on one of those high end teams like Michigan. Talented rookies often take a back seat to the veteran players and even once in a while find there way to the press box in a numbers game. Trouba could get half the icetime in half the games if he reports to Michigan.

Bottom line is if Trouba is more interested in education than a pro career, then he should go to the NCAA and get a degree. But, if he wants to get fast tracked to pro hockey, then he may as well come to Kitchener. What's the point of going the NCAA route if you're only going to sign a pro deal after year or two of college hockey.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Ward Cornell

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenSteven View Post
That makes a lot of sense. I will argue though, that he won't get anywhere near the icetime in Michigan than he would in Kitchener. The Jets will emphasize that to him.

Trouba has been one of the best, if not the best d-man on his team for years. Consequently, he sees huge icetime year in and year out. If he were to come to Kitchener, that wouldn't change. He'd be pencilled in next to Ryan Murphy on the top pairing and see icetime in all situations. Most nights he'd see around 30 minutes a game as Cody Sol did last year.

That isn't usually the case when you're a rookie at the NCAA level - especially on one of those high end teams like Michigan. Talented rookies often take a back seat to the veteran players and even once in a while find there way to the press box in a numbers game. Trouba could get half the icetime in half the games if he reports to Michigan.

Bottom line is if Trouba is more interested in education than a pro career, then he should go to the NCAA and get a degree. But, if he wants to get fast tracked to pro hockey, then he may as well come to Kitchener. What's the point of going the NCAA route if you're only going to sign a pro deal after year or two of college hockey.
Also once a player is NHL drafted it totally changes the players mindset. A pro career is just around the corner and he'll want to make it happen as soon as possible.
The other factor a lot of folks don't think about is with the new NHL CBA being negotiated his signing bonus next year could be substantially less. Does he sign now for $800,000.00+/- or wait for the unknown and possible sign for $500,000+/-. I know which way I would be leaning considering Trouba's is actually thinking of a maximum 2 year and a minimum 1 year to commitment to UofM.
I'm not sure if Albert Einstein or Stephen Hawking got their university degree within 2 years and I'm sure Trouba is smart but.......!!
IMHO a lot of players talk NCAA just as an negotiation ploy to sweeten the OHL package.

Ward Cornell is online now   Reply With Quote