HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs have bought out Scott Gomez

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Another tthing to keep in mind is do they want Gomez to rot in the minors considering how many prospects will be making their debut this upcoming season there ..

Do you want him with Kristo, Gallagher, Tinordi, Beaulieu etc..
While the guy might not be the devil reincarnated, I ALSO believe it's something they have in mind. If Gomez doesn't like his job and he's in the NHL, I can't believe he'll love it more in Hamilton, traveling on a bus. So by himself, it is possible he decides to go in Europe. But again, it's all about what image the new management wants to have. In the old days, we've fired an assistant coach for nothing. We've fired a tough guy, we've traded a player between the 2nd and the 3rd, we've hired an unilingual coach and then said we were sorry to have done it....this organization was garbage X1000 for us and everybody else. Somehow, it's possible that this new organization feels that they have no choice but to make this team look like they are assuming their mistakes. Could be a step in the right direction as far as perception is concerned. We might not know this but it's possible that we have a LOT to do in that regards. Based on our lack of success, based on what happened especially last year, based on the fact that nobody knows what this new organization is all about. On the other end, it's also possible that if everybody bashes this "move", that it will make other teams and players say that it didn't improve...Again, they were put in a lose-lose situation.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:24 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Fever View Post
Makes sense financially to send him down, but not sure it's a smart "hockey move".
If I'm Sylvain Lefebvre, I don't want him near my team...and if I'm GM and I care about the development of my young players, I'm not sure I want Scott Gomez in Hamilton.

And all the drama it could generate if we send him down and he gets 25 points in 15 games...
Totally. People has to know that they have to be thinking about that. Personnally, I wish they don't buy him out. But I can see why they would do it. Will be awful on the financial point of view, might be great on the atmosphere point of view. I guess they prefer the atmosphere to the cap.

The real question though is....why in the world would they not wait till we have a new CBA though? Maybe other things can happen. For them to do it now, would make absolutely no sense.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:38 AM
ClasslessGuy

It's not a rumor he's just asking a question...

Old
06-23-2012, 07:57 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
It's not a rumor he's just asking a question...
No he's not. He said Is Gomez bought out LIKE I'M HEARING..." That's a rumor to me.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:19 AM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
The most LOGICAL thing to do for us fans, who just don't care about the repercussions and about Gomez is CLEARLY to let him rot. But as an organization, chances are you think differently for all sorts of reasons. Molson is all about class as we saw with the Cammy jersey. To me, while some thinks that there's no chance we buy him out, I'm saying there is no chance we ask him to play in Poland or something either.

If anything, force Dallas to take him since they lost Ribeiro and they hired the guy who started this whole ****ing mess....Hey you never know, seems that history repeats itself. If Ribeiro was traded the year that Gainey came on board, maybe Gomez can be traded to the guy who got him in the first place....

This idea that the habs are some sort of classy organization standing above all us else is silly. The idea is to improve your club anyway possible. This class junk sounds like Brian Burke hot air to me.

BTW: It was real classy trading cammy in the 2nd intermission. A sign of a club that puts class above all else

I don't buy this argument, buying him out is a stupid hockey decision period. If it happens I'll be disappointed in MB for sure. Can't believe this is even a discussion. There is no way we should be even considering buying him.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:19 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Totally. People has to know that they have to be thinking about that. Personnally, I wish they don't buy him out. But I can see why they would do it. Will be awful on the financial point of view, might be great on the atmosphere point of view. I guess they prefer the atmosphere to the cap.

The real question though is....why in the world would they not wait till we have a new CBA though? Maybe other things can happen. For them to do it now, would make absolutely no sense.
You and I see things the same way, but don't forget one thing: all GMs just spent yesterday in the same room along with the commissioner. Maybe they were told to take care of that business right away, that any buy-out cap hits would be cleared off the cap, something like that. Maybe Bettman told them there wouldn't be a special buy-out period, or that he just can't guarantee there will be one.

There are so many factors we're not aware of. We have our little plans as fans, but we're so disconnected from the hockey world that we just don't really know all that much in the end.

I refuse to believe Bergevin is just ill-advised and uninformed.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:22 AM
habsfanatics

If he becomes a cancer on the prospects in hamilton, which I personally think is a joke, but if he does, there are ways around that too.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:23 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
This idea that the habs are some sort of classy organization standing above all us else is silly. The idea is to improve your club anyway possible. This class junk sounds like Brian Burke hot air to me.

BTW: It was real classy trading cammy in the 2nd intermission. A sign of a club that puts class above all else

I don't buy this argument, buying him out is a stupid hockey decision period. If it happens I'll be disappointed in MB for sure. Can't believe this is even a discussion. There is no way we should be even considering buying him.
You have to remember that when thinking about signing free agents, the Canadiens have to deal with a bunch of factors that could discourage a player from joining the club. Showing respect and treating their players right is the least they can do to promote the hockey market for being great beside the obvious deterrents (taxes, weather, pressure, etc).

Old
06-23-2012, 08:25 AM
Miller Time

Nothing classy about buying him out... Fans are paying the bill for a profitable team like the habs, not the owner.

You don't "sell" a narrative about being committed to winning (which helps sell tickets/merchandise) from one side of your mouth and then make decisions like that...

So-called "class" should not come at the expense of the quality of product you put on the ice.
Players get demoted, coaches get fired, it's all part of the game and everyone in it knows the deal... Perform or GTFO

Old
06-23-2012, 08:26 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post

Don't look....but this organization is different than the ones who made those unclassy moves....Thanks for proving my point.

Just think of that for one freakin second. We all believe it's dumb, but they don't? They surely think it is on a cap point of view. So if they do it...why would then be the reason if it's not class, way of working, thought of not keeping this circus go any longer etc....Call it as you want....but how the heck would those guys think it's a great cap move if they end up doing it? There HAS to be a reason. And it only can be about what I'm talking about. I don't agree. But if it happens, I see why it's happening.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:29 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Nothing classy about buying him out... Fans are paying the bill for a profitable team like the habs, not the owner.

You don't "sell" a narrative about being committed to winning (which helps sell tickets/merchandise) from one side of your mouth and then make decisions like that...

So-called "class" should not come at the expense of the quality of product you put on the ice.
Players get demoted, coaches get fired, it's all part of the game and everyone in it knows the deal... Perform or GTFO
For Gomez, it's a good option. He get to be a free agent on July 1st, he's not stuck riding the bus in the AHL and he gets a fresh new start somewhere else.

The cap hit from the buy-out really isn't that bad. Next year will be the worst, but like I said earlier, until the new CBA is signed, and if this rumor is true, there's really no point in judging this move.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:34 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Guess if Bobby Mac said it's a good thing to insert sharp foreign objects into your a-holes, a lot of you would end up at the emergency room.

Not that I disagree that buying out Gomez is not the best solution, but man, it's crazy to see how little people can trust their own minds instead of some voice of authority. It's almost as if Bobby Mac is the D Lama of hockey. Let's all follow. Baa-a-a-a-a-a

Old
06-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Guess if Bobby Mac said it's a good thing to insert sharp foreign objects into your a-holes, a lot of you would end up at the emergency room.

Not that I disagree that buying out Gomez is not the best solution, but man, it's crazy to see how little people can trust their own minds instead of some voice of authority. It's almost as if Bobby Mac is the D Lama of hockey. Let's all follow. Baa-a-a-a-a-a
I agree to a certain extent. You saw how moderate I am on that debate so I won't disagree with you. Problem when it comes to McKenzie's comments is that I have rarely seen or heard him be that assertive. He is usually himself quite moderate and to take that kind of stance....you wonder what will be his comments if it happens. Again, though, it's clearly not an ideal situation but I see why it would go that way.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
I agree to a certain extent. You saw how moderate I am on that debate so I won't disagree with you. Problem when it comes to McKenzie's comments is that I have rarely seen or heard him be that assertive. He is usually himself quite moderate and to take that kind of stance....you wonder what will be his comments if it happens. Again, though, it's clearly not an ideal situation but I see why it would go that way.
There's always a pretty reasonable and logical reason in the eyes of the people who make those decisions. Doesn't mean people will agree with them, but to say it's the dumbest thing to do is not considering a lot of elements.

People who think Molson can just throw money out the window because he says his priority is winning, is just childish, like some posters always seem to be. He's not in the same situation as NY. Molson can't **** around with makes profit as he's repaying the loans on his team. It's not because the team gets a profit that Molson isn't shackled by a financial situation.

Buying him out saves 6,6 million. It's a step further in assuring financial stability. But little kids with their priorities at the wrong place won't be able to understand this.

Sure, other solutions would be preferable, but I can see why they would buy him out instead. But now, why not do it when there will be compliance BOs? Again, there's probably a good reason for that, although I have a few theories, I'm still not too sure why.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:51 AM
Aurel Joliat

I don't want to buy him out and I don't want him in Hamilton

2 options :
- Europe
- Hometown team in the ECHL (he played there during the lock-out)

Old
06-23-2012, 09:22 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habaneros View Post
First off, I meant if they really wanted ot buy out, next year, not this year.

Secondly, the quote you provided is worthless to me as I said NEXT year, not this year. Mckenzie refers to THIS year buyout.

Next year it becomes:

Scott Gomez buyout from CapGeek.com
◦ 2013-14: $4,357,143
◦ 2014-15: $1,500,000

Great? Nope, but certaintly better than a current 4 year penalty.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:40 AM
Miller Time

there will always be apologists...

doesn't change a thing about the profitability of the montreal canadians brand. short-term financial savings for an individual who is raking in tens of millions in profit long-term is nothing... but I don't expect a kid living in mom's basement to understand that

Old
06-23-2012, 10:02 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
No he's not. He said Is Gomez bought out LIKE I'M HEARING..." That's a rumor to me.
Reading the OP I'd translate what Brunet said into :

''Has Gomez really been bought out like I heard he was?''

Its a question about a rumor he heard.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Reading the OP I'd translate what Brunet said into :

''Has Gomez really been bought out like I heard he was?''

Its a question about a rumor he heard.
No, I'd say it was:

Has Gomez really been bought out LIKE I'VE BEEN TOLD.

Hence the title.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:10 AM
sukimono

Send the ****er to Hamilton!!!

Old
06-23-2012, 10:15 AM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

If this turns out to be true, I will be really disappointed.

I hope molson/bergevin want to win a cup.. otherwise we're not doing what I thought we were here..

If I was Bergevin, I'd come out right now and say "i'm committed to winning.. my decision is to stick gomez in the AHL/ECHL.. molson has the reigns and will decide what to do"

I wouldnt want this stink all over my record in my new GM job.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:19 AM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

vCash: 1549
If Gomez was actually bought out, it would be in the news by now as a confirmed fact. His agent would want the other teams to know he's available with July 1st coming up so they can potentially make him an offer. So I highly doubt any decisions been made yet and hopefully they send him down to Hamilton if they need the space.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:45 AM
WG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
There's always a pretty reasonable and logical reason in the eyes of the people who make those decisions. Doesn't mean people will agree with them, but to say it's the dumbest thing to do is not considering a lot of elements.

People who think Molson can just throw money out the window because he says his priority is winning, is just childish, like some posters always seem to be. He's not in the same situation as NY. Molson can't **** around with makes profit as he's repaying the loans on his team. It's not because the team gets a profit that Molson isn't shackled by a financial situation.

Buying him out saves 6,6 million. It's a step further in assuring financial stability. But little kids with their priorities at the wrong place won't be able to understand this.

Sure, other solutions would be preferable, but I can see why they would buy him out instead. But now, why not do it when there will be compliance BOs? Again, there's probably a good reason for that, although I have a few theories, I'm still not too sure why.
The buyout will *cost* 6.6M of the 10M owed so the cash savings is "only" 3.3M. I know it is easy for me to spend another guy's money but if you weigh 3.3M cash outlay vs. the lost cap then it's a pretty easy decision.

Of course if someone were really cynical one could say that ownership would direct such a move as it saves the owner several million over the four years since his GM would not be able to spend right to the cap due to the buyout penalty.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:16 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Ouf course, the people saying that buying out Gomez is a dumb thing to do are not the ones who would be paying his salary to play in the AHL.

They will in turn say that Molson should bite the bullet and pay him anyway as he has enough money to do so, but they're not the ones who pay the bill.

And they will conveniently forget that Molson has 600 million big reasons not to want to pay another $10M to a player in the minors in addition to the cap which he spends....

It's so easy to spend other people's money, isn't it?

Old
06-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
A buyout still comes with Cap implications to the Canadiens ala Laraque!
Montreal is not that stupid to buy out a contract like Gomez it would cost almost 3 mil a year in salary cap alone over the next three years.

Montreal should either bury the salary or wait for a amnesty clause in the CBA....

A buy out is STUPID!

Closed Thread