HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round I, Pick #28: Brady Skjei, D

Old
06-23-2012, 01:40 AM
Barnaby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
A good pick, considering the position and the draft. In a better draft, Skjei is probably a solid second round pick.

There are more interesting players out there, but all of them have some question marks.

Guy does a little bit of everything, but nothing spectacular. I do worry that people are going to see his size and his skating and expect a bit too much out of him.
I think most o us are realistic... wait 3-4 years and hope to get a legit 2nd pair d-man... I wanted Thrower, but I'm not expert..

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:55 AM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I think most o us are realistic... wait 3-4 years and hope to get a legit 2nd pair d-man... I wanted Thrower, but I'm not expert..
Personally, I would have taken Thrower myself. But, Skjei is a solid pick. In other words, he wasn't a guy that I was against taking (Matteau).

I think Skjei projects more as a solid third pairing guy. That's not a knock on him, it's just a result of his steady, but not terribly spectacular abilities.

With that said, kids going into college can be all over the map.

Some kids develop parts of their game that you never expect, others never tap into their abilities, some do well, but level off quicker.

Projecting teenage players is like shooting a rifle in a hurricane. Even if you're an elite talent, you're going to miss your targets from time to time.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:01 AM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Personally, I would have taken Thrower myself. But, Skjei is a solid pick. In other words, he wasn't a guy that I was against taking (Matteau).

I think Skjei projects more as a solid third pairing guy. That's not a knock on him, it's just a result of his steady, but not terribly spectacular abilities.

Some kids develop parts of their game that you never expect, others never tap into their abilities, some do well, but level off quicker.

Projecting teenage players is like shooting a rifle in a hurricane. Even if you're an elite talent, you're going to miss your targets from time to time.
(assuming he plays the left side) that definitely isn't a knock considering he'd be on the 3rd pair behind the likes of mcdonagh, staal, del zotto and erixon.

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:05 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Well, I wanted a forward or a trade back, so I was a bit disappointed when I heard this kid's name. But, I've learned to trust Gordie and Gorton, so it made me wonder why I hadn't seen more of the knowledgeable posters pushing for him.

My position as well. I think G&G have earned our trust.

I also wanted a forward, but when you are picking this late, there are usually only 1-2 guys drafted between #28 and #40 who make the NHL as quality players, so we need to get the guy who actually plays in the NHL. Drafting for position is not an option at #28.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:05 AM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
long way till our next pick hopefully some of those good forwards are still on the board...would love to find a way to grab another pick in the 1st half of the 2nd. maybe trade a pick from next year
Thats what I was thinking. I'm sure Clark has something planned. They usually move up somewhere in every draft.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:18 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
My position as well. I think G&G have earned our trust.

I also wanted a forward, but when you are picking this late, there are usually only 1-2 guys drafted between #28 and #40 who make the NHL as quality players, so we need to get the guy who actually plays in the NHL. Drafting for position is not an option at #28.
What a pleasure to be able to say that... How many years was the sky dropping?

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:31 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouting Report View Post
Brady is a player who has is very difficult to play against because he has size and weight and is an excellent skater in all regards. He is powerful and with excellent balance, he is able to use his body and keep opponents from gaining an advantage. His agility is very good and he is able to handle 1-1 situations versus speed and quickness effectively and he's also able to move ahead with the puck and escape pressure. He reads the play very well without the puck and with the confidence he has in his skating, he can stop plays before a rush has fully unfolded. His defensive positioning is sound and he doesn't create unnecessary problems for himself. He is a good passer and gets the puck moving from his own zone quickly and efficiently and is very effective transition player. He's not going to punish opponents but he's going to frustrate them because it's no easy task to get around him and gain the upper hand. A good, strong, steady type player who has a strong dependability and consistency in his play.

If you did a scouting report on McDonagh, wouldn't you write the same thing? If he's even a poor man's McDonagh, it's a good pick.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:40 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Getting a good athlete late in the first is a good move IMO. You can work a lot with those types of players, especially if they have good hockey IQ and possesses some skill on either side of the puck. It's going to take some time, but this guy has some good potential. Drafting defense, which is our strength, will allow the team to trade from it eventually to get something we need.

Getting an NHL level player with your first rounder in important, even if you have a surplus there. Players can be dealt as part of packages to get what you really want. Have a good farm will get you somewhere. Hopefully this kid can either allow the team to get what they want at some point or become a regular and solid player for the Rangers.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:14 AM
17futurecap

Quote:
4. Whom in the NHL do you watch closely, not necessarily to model yourself after but to pick up some subtleties of playing in the big league, stuff you know you'll have to do in order to stay there?

"I think I'm a Matt Carle type of player, two-way defenceman. Ryan McDonagh is another. All of the Minnesota defencemen, I try to play like. [Chicago Blackhawks defenceman and former Minnesota Wild first-rounder] Nick Leddy, I think is a really good skater. I actually played high school hockey against him in Minnesota and like the way he played."
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...161640046.html

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:15 AM
Vinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
I'm so excited that he's going to U of Minnesota. I'll be there in 2 years and will be able to watch an NYR prospect on a regular basis. I'll be giving you guys lots of updates when the time comes.
Love this pick! And awesome that you can update bro.

Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:23 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I've said this a few times but the only thing I dislike about this pick is his commitment to U of M.

University of Stagnation. Lucia has no idea how to develop players IMO.

HatTrick Swayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:14 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Really overwhelmed right now.

I wake up and read we drafted another defenseman, almost got Jordan Staal and Prust is as good as gone.

That being said, I've never heard of this guy, and if we had to take a defenseman I'm absolutely digging this scouting report.

My favorite type of defenseman, these are the players who are taking over the game. You can keep your expectations low, but look what skating and athleticism did for a guy like McDonagh. You simply cannot go wrong with a huge, smoothing skating, heady defenseman.

Like others have said though, not a fan of his college commitment, but oh well.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:02 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegehockeyguy View Post
the rangers got tremendous value with skjei being there on the board still. he should develop the next couple years under one of the premier defensive coaches in college hockey (mike guentzel- who coached in college alex goligoski, paul martin, erik johnson, keith ballard and... even stu bickel for a year)
Guentzel BTW--a former Rangers draft pick.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:12 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Mac Squared
Frk
Collberg

Who else would be of interest?
Brian Hart

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:22 AM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Can we find him anywhere in the NHL 12 videogame?

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:37 AM
True Blue

Basically, a BPA pick. Nothing wrong with that.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:44 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

I would not compare the upside of Skjei to McDonagh at the time they both were drafted. When McD was drafted, he was thought to be a potentially big-bodied offensive blueliner. One of the reasons that some of the Canadiens' folks were okay with letting him go was because McDonagh did not develop quickly enough to satisfy that he would become what was projected.

Skjei does not have the offensive upside that McDonagh had originally. McD grew into a two-way D. If Skjei fulfills his potential, then he will be a solid mostly own zone guy. A little offense, but mostly responsible in his own zone. Right now, he does not throw his weight around enough, but that he can grow into. He does have hockey smarts, excellent speed and good size.

Skjei was expected to be taken before the Rangers selected--probably around 5 picks up. He did not fall as much as several teams went off the board, and then there were several players bunched together, as to desirability. Skjei was definitely in the bunch that had late first round potential.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:55 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

my 2 cents.

first let me start by saying i believe ryan mcdonough, and to a degree kris krieder as well, is why this kid was was drafted. drafting is a crap shoot but scouts are smart and the they are frequently creatures of habit. when something works, ala ryan mcdonough and the path he took to get to the nhl, its reasonable to expect the staff to want to repeat it. if it works, keep doing it. thats what happened here i believe.

mcdonough stepped in and not only contributed but played huge minutes and did it all while looking very comfortable and confident. his skating and smarts allowed him to step right in and be a force. brady has similar traits and im sure the staff saw that. if brady skjei becomes ryan mcdonough II, and again, im sure thats why this pick was made, this will have been the right pick at 28.

this is a solid pick for 2 reasons.

1. he was taken 28th. thats hit or miss time in round 1. there were a few guys i liked better available but again, all of them have ? imo, when in doubt, i take a dman who has skating and upside and brady is that guy. no problem with this guy at 28. none at all.

2. this kid can really skate. if you havent yet, watch his effortless stride. i mean hes got sweet feet. when you are his size and play defense and can skate like he can (do some research many are saying he may have the best wheels in the draft) you have something to build on. does he have morgan rielly offensive pressence ? no. or matt dumba overall skills ? no. but what he does have is a projectable frame and serious scary wheels. this kid can be a solid nhl defenseman in the bret hedican mold and that my friends would be quite nice.

lastly, please remember, you draft players based upon what you think they WILL be not what they are today. this kid has tools and i think the staff saw the skating stride and smarts in this kid- like ryan mcdonough showed.

nhl defense is THE toughest position to play. period. and you can never never have enough dmen who can flat out fly like brady can.

since ive been posting here, ive always been vocal about guys who can skate. i like fast players. to me, great wheels is a must. and i love dmen who can fly. this kid has it.

welcome to the family mr skjei

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Along with everything else Skjei said, here's another one from his twitter account

Brady Skjei ‏@BradySkjei
Couldn't have pick a better team to be drafted by! So happy to be a part of the @thenyrangers

Loving the pick more and more. Not only does he have great upside, he LOVES that he was drafted by the Rangers. No more worrying about our prospects signing with the Bruins

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:31 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
No more worrying about our prospects signing with the Bruins
Nobody should have been worrying about that in the first place

McDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:35 AM
eco's bones

His skating, size and hockey intelligence make him a safe pick. Someone who is pretty much 80% to have an NHL career. These things (if not yet fully developed) are already well on their way. Getting stronger should be a natural process that will come in time. Getting a bit meaner he'll have to work on.
Developing a better two-way game is something he'll have to work on.

The Rangers didn't shoot for the moon here but they added an almost sure bet player. As far as getting anything spectacular as far as an offensive player at No. 28--it was a big gamble. This was a smart way to go.

The question of who else we might have taken?

Collberg--a bit more of a gamble but a decent possibility of getting a top 6 wing.
Finn--better two way d-man but not quite the size or skating of Skjei.
Thrower--more of a physical d than Skjei but smaller--questions about whether he can play the same type of game at the NHL level.
Bystrom-something like Skjei only a little smaller and not quite as good a skater.
Dansk--thought he would have been a nice pick as well.
Matteau--big, physical player--projects most likely to be a 3rd liner--though I think he's a safe pick too.
Kerdiles--well--maybe we'll get him today.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:35 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I've said this a few times but the only thing I dislike about this pick is his commitment to U of M.

Who has he ruined?

Last edited by MN_Gopher: 06-23-2012 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Stuff
MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:38 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
A good pick, considering the position and the draft. In a better draft, Skjei is probably a solid second round pick.

There are more interesting players out there, but all of them have some question marks.

Guy does a little bit of everything, but nothing spectacular. I do worry that people are going to see his size and his skating and expect a bit too much out of him.
I look at it this way: it's easier to teach a big, fast defenseman how to play defense than teach a big, slow defenseman how to play offense.

At a minimum, both McIrath and Skjei can be very difficult guys to play against in their own zone, instead of the desired all-three zones.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:39 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post

Leopold Martin Ballard EJ Goligoski Leddy Bickel Ness Fairchild Kessel Vanek Wheeler Okposo might disagree. Overwhelming in D men.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:

Well said. I was a bit surprised they didn't take Thrower, and certainly a little let down as well. I thought he was more of a gamble, but had top-4 upside. Certainly has all the traits the Rangers seem to be looking for.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote