HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part IX: Howson often gives nuts to toothless people

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 01:26 AM
gravey9

vCash: 500
Tonight, one of the local reporters (staple?) made mention that Nash's short list is very short. I'm really starting to think the list may be ONE team. Or, the only team on Nash's approved list that is actually serious about acquiring him is the Rangers.

This would explain Howson's strategy of waiting until after Free Agency kicks in. Who else is dying to land an impact scorer (FA or trade), has cap space, has young assets to make a deal AND, most importantly, is on Nash's list? I'm starting to think it's only the Rangers. The rumored SJ offer was decent. The rumored Ottawa deal was very strong.

Howson believes that after free agency ends, the Rangers will have missed out on Parise and Schultz, etc and the pressure on Slats to make a big improvement will be too strong too resist.

And now, he's doing everything he can to spook Sather into giving him the assets he wants, including driving up the price from teams are not on Nash's list. That's why we hear about the Sens offer, but the Sens aren't an approved team. That's why we heard what he was asking for from the Bruins.

Furthermore, there was a rumor that Nash and Richards had dinner recently. If so, I'm guessing this was done to find out from Nash what teams are, in fact, on his list (if they haven't found out from the agency already) or b) it was about hinting to him that if he were to narrow his list or sit out, he'd be coming to a team with less holes in its lineup.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:29 AM
NY Lito
Blueshirt Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post
Tonight, one of the local reporters (staple?) made mention that Nash's short list is very short. I'm really starting to think the list may be ONE team. Or, the only team on Nash's approved list that is actually serious about acquiring him is the Rangers.

This would explain Howson's strategy of waiting until after Free Agency kicks in. Who else is dying to land an impact scorer (FA or trade), has cap space, has young assets to make a deal AND, most importantly, is on Nash's list? I'm starting to think it's only the Rangers. The rumored SJ offer was decent. The rumored Ottawa deal was very strong.

Howson believes that after free agency ends, the Rangers will have missed out on Parise and Schultz, etc and the pressure on Slats to make a big improvement will be too strong too resist.

And now, he's doing everything he can to spook Sather into giving him the assets he wants, including driving up the price from teams are not on Nash's list. That's why we hear about the Sens offer, but the Sens aren't an approved team. That's why we heard what he was asking for from the Bruins.

Furthermore, there was a rumor that Nash and Richards had dinner recently. If so, I'm guessing this was done to find out from Nash what teams are, in fact, on his list (if they haven't found out from the agency already) or b) it was about hinting to him that if he were to narrow his list or sit out, he'd be coming to a team with less holes in its lineup.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Lito View Post
That's ludicrous. Lindros-esque to be honest.

How is this guy a GM in the National Hockey League?
To be fair, it was reported to be 2 of Lucic, Seguin, Hamilton, plus picks and prospects. But that is still lunacy. What the hell is Seguin doing on that list anyway? He put up more points than Nash in his second pro season. (Yes, Nash plays with garbage, but Seguin is 19!)

I wanted to punch my TV when Howson the Clown went up at the draft today. Confidence he has such a punchable face? I think not.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:00 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

It doesn't matter if Nash has 1 team on his list. Howson is not going to trade him for less than he wants. He has come this far. You can't negotiate with a mad man.

Quote:
Meanwhile, as talks with Columbus regarding Rick Nash have again run into a brick wall due to the laughable demands of Jackets GM Scott Howson, discussions with the Ducks concerning Bobby Ryan have not advanced and an attempt to get in on the action for Jordan Staal before the Penguins sent the center to the Hurricanes did not get far, the Rangers have received a significant number of inquiries regarding Brandon Dubinsky’s availability, two well-placed sources have told The Post.

Unless the Blueshirts are able to acquire a gunner either in a trade or in free agency — the latter of which would require a suspension of disbelief regarding Zach Parise renouncing interest in crossing the Hudson—the club doesn’t appear poised to deal Dubinsky, whose value is at an all-time low after the 26-year-old, five-year veteran posted career worsts in goals (10) assists (24) and points (34) in 77 games.

According to one plugged-in party, clubs inquiring about Dubinsky are interested in moving him back to his natural center position after he had spent the last two years at left wing. Dubinsky, who will be entering the second season of a four-year contract carrying a cap hit of $4.2 million per, would be part of any hypothetical trade for Nash, but the likelihood of a deal is nil unless Howson returns to Planet Earth.

The Ducks are seeking inexpensive young talent in return for Ryan. Derek Stepan ($850,000) fits neatly into that category, but The Post has been told the Blueshirts are not willing to include their 22-year-old sophomore center in a package for Anaheim’s high-scoring 25-year-old left wing.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1ybp7pCc9

Last edited by RangerBoy: 06-23-2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old
06-23-2012, 05:34 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Schultz becomes a free agent today at 5pm. That is what McKenzie reported. The teams will be wrapping up the draft at that time. There is time to open negotiations with Newport Sports on Schultz. Make the offer to Arnott. Invite Schultz to visit the Rangers brass and coaches next week when they are hosting prospects camp. The corporate jet is ready.

Old
06-23-2012, 05:47 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravey9 View Post

i think this is a very astute analysis. one point on which i disagree is the number of approved teams. i'm sure that nash would have more than just the rangers on his list. it would be fairly unprofessional of nash to basically back the team, that gave him that massive contract, an ultimatum that damning. i suspect there are 5 or so teams to which he'd definitely go and then another 5 possibilities. and that meeting on thursday was probably to see if he'd entertain a couple of other options who may have offers on the table.
that said, i hope sather doesn't offer too much and i'm fine with no deal. nash is a great player but the contract and player (if reports are accurate) pricetags are just too much. howson is making a huge gamble which will - in my opinion - fail and cost him his job.
i wonder if this guy was involved in the janet jones-rick tocchet gambling ring...

Old
06-23-2012, 05:49 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Dubinsky barely played on the PP this season. I have no idea why since they sucked all season. Torts had no problem putting Boyle on the PP midway through the season. With Gaborik's injury and Kreider no guarantee, an increase of ice time and scoring situations can boost Dubinsky's value a month or two into the season (whenever the season starts)

Old
06-23-2012, 05:51 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

People are going to be pissed when it's July 1, 2013 and the Rangers dont have any money for the best high-end UFA crop since 2001.

Give our 2012 No. 1 Seed / CF group another chance.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:03 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Let's face it, Nash isn't available. The GM is not acting like he has any intention of trading. Nash is as available as any player - meaning if you want to vastly overpay then we will trade you.

That's very different from a player being available.

Old
06-23-2012, 06:14 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Let's face it, Nash isn't available. The GM is not acting like he has any intention of trading. Nash is as available as any player - meaning if you want to vastly overpay then we will trade you.

Agreed. I truly believe that Howson intends to keep Nash, but is going through the trade motions publicly so that he can tell Nash he tried.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
People are going to be pissed when it's July 1, 2013 and the Rangers dont have any money for the best high-end UFA crop since 2001.

Give our 2012 No. 1 Seed / CF group another chance.
A year in advance, we have had great UFA corps before too.

Ana got all the money in the world to keep their guys. Crosby should not be taken into consideration. Jordan Staal is of course of the market. And so forth. This year we have Parise and Semin, there is nothing that guarantees next year will be better.

I do have a problem with giving this years roster another chance. Why? I think there is a risk that we have to work too hard to to get pts.

Like, I almost feel that is reckless to enter another season without Gabby AND a PP. Lets say we loose two guys on top of that too. Callahan, Girardi and co are HUMAN. They will start to wear down real fast if they are forced to play inhuman game in and game out year after year.

And we don need that much. Sure Nash would help. But just someone like Mike Riberio would also have helped a TON on the PP. So would a player like Hemsky or Radulov. No sniper, but a overall skilled player. Playmaker who BR can work with on the PP.

Last edited by Ola: 06-23-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old
06-23-2012, 08:21 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Schultz becomes a free agent today at 5pm. That is what McKenzie reported. The teams will be wrapping up the draft at that time. There is time to open negotiations with Newport Sports on Schultz. Make the offer to Arnott. Invite Schultz to visit the Rangers brass and coaches next week when they are hosting prospects camp. The corporate jet is ready.
I heard that during the draft last night too. What's up with that? I thought he was free to talk to teams on Monday.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
A year in advance, we have had great UFA corps before too.

Ana got all the money in the world to keep their guys. Crosby should not be taken into consideration. Jordan Staal is of course of the market. And so forth. This year we have Parise and Semin, there is nothing that guarantees next year will be better.
Not necessarily. Anaheim has the cap space, but they might very well not have the real money needed to sign these players; they work on an internal budget.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Levitate

I think the Rangers also really feel like Kreider will give them more scoring in the wing so they're not desperate. 20-30 goals next year maybe means they don't need to blow things up for Nash or Ryan

Old
06-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

We had trouble scoring goals as it is. This team needs help in that department over anything else. I mean, now or leading scorer Gaborik is out for a little and that makes us even weaker offensively. (by quite a lot) I have a lot of faith in Kreider and I'm hoping he starts scoring in bunches and doesn't stop, but that's a lot of eggs for Mr. Kreider's basket. We need an impact player, imo, pretty badly. This is why Sather has been so quickly in on all these guys. And I don't even think it''s so much that "we can't work with what we have", but rather "Pens might get Parise...Flyers might get Ryan..." Now a couple of teams that we hate pretty much in terms of rivalry just improved a lot offensively and we're going to just miss out this year and do something next off season? Will be a long year if this happens. In my humblest of opinions, of course.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:27 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:

Exactly, it's one thing if it's a hockey deal...but Howson is looking for a franchise bailout, and we're not giving him that.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:32 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I think the Rangers also really feel like Kreider will give them more scoring in the wing so they're not desperate. 20-30 goals next year maybe means they don't need to blow things up for Nash or Ryan
I honestly believe if you can add either Ryan or Nash without seriously blowing up the team, add in Schultz, and perhaps one more forward at the 3rd line ... this team will be ready to battle. However possible that should be the plan for this team.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:36 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
It doesn't matter if Nash has 1 team on his list. Howson is not going to trade him for less than he wants. He has come this far. You can't negotiate with a mad man.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1ybp7pCc9
Quote:
unless Howson returns to Planet Earth
Which I believe he will.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:38 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
I'd love to have him in fold by end of the week. But that is highly unlikely.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:38 AM
NikC

Quote:

I think you're exactly right with this. Howdson has no intention of making a fair trade with anyone. He can keep him as far as he is concerned. I don't think there is a team in the NHL that desperate.

Then again, it can all be a ruse. he can be asking for the stars and then on July 1st will settle for whatever the best offer is. he's going to try to get as much as possible, even if it means being an @ss in the process.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:45 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Howson is just delaying the inevitable, Rangers have a decent offer for Nash, he's buying time just to field other offers in hopes Nash accepts a trade to "non-list" team that might offer more.. He's basically waiting for Nash to buckle, not the Rangers to offer more. If he really cared about his organization and it's players, he would best served at looking at how the Pens handled the Jordan Staal situation. Instead he's choosing to come off as a pompous ass..

Old
06-23-2012, 09:49 AM
OverTheCap

Nash is the face of the franchise and Howson is trying to get another face of the franchise in return for him, which is no easy task. Losing Nash could be a huge blow for Columbus in terms of marketing, jersey sales, etc. Howson is probably holding out hope that some franchise will be desperate enough to cave into his demands or that Nash will have a change of heart and decide to remain a Blue Jacket.

Rangers are better off moving on from Nash. It seems like Howson is in no rush to trade him, with reports that this drama could carry on well into the summer and even into next season. The Rangers can't sit around during the offseason and wait until Howson lowers his demands, if he even lowers them at all.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:50 AM
robwrx04

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...0cxUEv1vIHoAoI

Rangers don't expect to resign Prust - Larry Brooks

Old
06-23-2012, 09:51 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Ryan will be easier to acquire. imo.

I think if you give the Ducks a good young player off your roster, they'll take it, along with a prospect and pick/s.

On the other hand, Howson is asking for basically the Rangers team.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:52 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwrx04 View Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...0cxUEv1vIHoAoI

Rangers don't expect to resign Prust - Larry Brooks

Yeah, i think Prust wants like 2.2Mil a year so..

Closed Thread