HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pick #20 - Scott Laughton, Center, Oshawa Generals (OHL)

Old
06-23-2012, 08:06 AM
Schenn10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
After a night of sleeping I warmed up to it abit. Hopefully couturier continues to improve offensively so in the future the centers could be Giroux-Couturier-Laughton. Maybe even move Giroux to a wing. Schenn looked solid as a winger and i would like to see him on couturiers wing. Laughton will take over a more defensive role.
I think Laughton's offensive ability is getting underrated. From what I have read it sounds like he didn't start getting top-6 minutes and powerplay time until later in the year and when he did he thrived and started scoring a lot more.

Homer was quoted as saying that they rated Laughton highest among the available players left at 20, and they had 4 or 5 guys watching him at the U-18 championships and felt he was Canada's best player on the ice.

I'm inclined to trust Homer and his scouts on this one. And to everyone saying we don't need another center and we need defense, first of all when this guy is ready in 3 years who knows what our system will look like. Also, if the Flyers felt he was the best player left and he turns out to be a stud, it's not like having an excess of talent at center is a bad thing we can always make a trade to address our needs somewhere else.

If Laughton breaks out next year and looks like a great offensive player as well as his defensive ability, or makes it to the WJC for Canada and performs well, Homer may have found himself a stud and everyone will forget Olli Maatta exists.

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
Exactly......Homer did just fine with the cards he was dealt in the 1st round.Laughton has FLYER written all over his face .You cannot build or teach the type of grit this cats got in spades.
If we would have traded up for Wilson, people would just get more pissed off. After TT was taken, everyone in media assumed it would be Maatta. I'd rather have Laughton staying where we're at as opposed to moving up for Wilson.

And it will be a little bit more fun tracking his progress during the season and at WJC's. We'll actually have a reason to watch the tournament for once.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:30 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn10 View Post
I think Laughton's offensive ability is getting underrated. From what I have read it sounds like he didn't start getting top-6 minutes and powerplay time until later in the year and when he did he thrived and started scoring a lot more.

Homer was quoted as saying that they rated Laughton highest among the available players left at 20, and they had 4 or 5 guys watching him at the U-18 championships and felt he was Canada's best player on the ice.

I'm inclined to trust Homer and his scouts on this one. And to everyone saying we don't need another center and we need defense, first of all when this guy is ready in 3 years who knows what our system will look like. Also, if the Flyers felt he was the best player left and he turns out to be a stud, it's not like having an excess of talent at center is a bad thing we can always make a trade to address our needs somewhere else.

If Laughton breaks out next year and looks like a great offensive player as well as his defensive ability, or makes it to the WJC for Canada and performs well, Homer may have found himself a stud and everyone will forget Olli Maatta exists.
I do think there is still possibility that his offense can increase. The next two years will determine that. His ceiling isnt too high but he has a decent chance at reaching it.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

vCash: 92
Seeing as Laughton is probably 3 years away from the NHL and that Homer is at the helm, people shouldn't be too concerned about having too many centres right now. Who knows what this team will look like in 3 years.

Hopefully by then we are in a similar situation as the Pens (Crosby-Malkin-Staal) trying to figure out what to do with Giroux-Schenn-Couturier down the middle.

There is no issue using the Detroit approach and making players earn their way up each line year to year. Laughton can play a year on the 4th line.

Flukeshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:49 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

In Laughton's final 39 games this past year, he had 41 points. He was used exclusively in 3rd/4th line roles for most of the first half. He was also used in that role because Andy Andreyoff was returned as an overager to the Generals. However, there was an injury to Andreyoff in the 2nd half of the season and that's when Gary Agnew moved Laughton to a top six role and he seized the opportunity.

It's expected that Laughton is going to be the top center in Oshawa for the next two years. That should be perfect for his offensive development. The more I dig up information on Laughton, the more and more impressive this pick becomes. The more I read about Laughton and watch his game tape, the more he reminds me of Mike Fisher or Mike Peca. This is a good solid pick.

As for the 45th pick, I'm hoping that it's either Ludvig Bystrom or Matt Finn the Flyers grab. The two guys who I was hoping would be available in the 2nd (Schmaltz and Matheson) were chosen.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:55 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Seeing as Laughton is probably 3 years away from the NHL and that Homer is at the helm, people shouldn't be too concerned about having too many centres right now. Who knows what this team will look like in 3 years.

Hopefully by then we are in a similar situation as the Pens (Crosby-Malkin-Staal) trying to figure out what to do with Giroux-Schenn-Couturier down the middle.

There is no issue using the Detroit approach and making players earn their way up each line year to year. Laughton can play a year on the 4th line.
There's also the fact that Schenn looked good on the win.
When playing on the wing he's alot more like Hartnell then Richards and the other way around when he's in centre ice.

I could see Laughton on the wing as well, as he's a pretty good skater from what I heard/saw. There's a 10min video of Laughton which shows various shifts of him, you can definately see some Mike Richards in him, but I think he's a better skater.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:03 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Here's a scouting video focusing on just him if anyone wants to watch

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Schenn10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post

Here's a scouting video focusing on just him if anyone wants to watch
He laid that guy out haha, I like the pick really reminds me of Mike Richards

Schenn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:12 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
Can never hurt having the smartest guy on the ice. . . unless you put Einstein out there for some reason. He lacks ideal size and speed.
Then they shouldn't have let Powe go.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:35 AM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn10 View Post
He laid that guy out haha, I like the pick really reminds me of Mike Richards
That wasn't him. He just ended up fighting a guy standing around. lol.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:49 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Then they shouldn't have let Powe go.
Princeton is fine. . . if you're a girl and/or hate fraternities. And Powe doesn't even have a master's.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post

This. People get too caught up at looking at the current needs on the NHL roster, but you don't draft 18 year old kids that are 2-3 years away to fill needs.

The Flyers will need to find a way to re-sign Giroux, Couturier, Schenn in 2 years. They may actually need a center. We have Cousins, but he is far from a lock.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:23 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
From Craig Button:

Sounds like a player you win championships with.
You mean like the one we traded a year ago today?

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
JVR count?
I would hardly call a guy that was our best player in the playoffs last year and who had 16 points in 20 games prior to getting hurt a bust

Old
06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post
You mean the one that some writers have referred to as the most miserable millionaire they've ever met?

Old
06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
This. People get too caught up at looking at the current needs on the NHL roster, but you don't draft 18 year old kids that are 2-3 years away to fill needs.

The Flyers will need to find a way to re-sign Giroux, Couturier, Schenn in 2 years. They may actually need a center. We have Cousins, but he is far from a lock.
With Homer, it will look completely different, LOL

You are right though, these guys are for 3-4 years from now

Old
06-23-2012, 12:28 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
You mean the one that some writers have referred to as the most miserable millionaire they've ever met?
Yes, that one.....the one with a championship at every level of hockey he has played...Seems to be doing fine in LA

The idiot writers in this city would make Jesus miserable.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:30 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Looks pretty happy

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:32 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post

Looks pretty happy
Haha, nice!

And he seemed very happy in every interview I saw with him this year and on that show they did about him....much easier without ******* Pronger around acting like your dad and the idiot writers in this city

Old
06-23-2012, 12:35 PM
mikedifr

Anyway, back on topic.....like the player picked, guys like him are my favorite types of players (like 18) but I would have rather gone one of the dmen or Dansk thats all....at least he wasn't picked like 100 spots above where he was ranked like some of the other guys

I just hope Laughton doesn't like to party

Old
06-23-2012, 12:49 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Yes, that one.....the one with a championship at every level of hockey he has played...Seems to be doing fine in LA

The idiot writers in this city would make Jesus miserable.
Not just the writers in Philadelphia. Toronto writers, Montreal writers, Ottawa writers, and I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this, but I work with Jeff Carter's mom and even she said that Mike was miserable in Philadelphia. Sometimes, as much as it hurts, you have to move those distractions. I liked Mike, but at the same time, if he was truly miserable in Philadelphia, then he had to go. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is.

What I like about Laughton is that he's ready for the Pittsburgh - Philadelphia rivalry. He's already jumped into the fray. I'm looking forward to seeing Laughton in Philadelphia.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Not just the writers in Philadelphia. Toronto writers, Montreal writers, Ottawa writers, and I'm not sure if I ever mentioned this, but I work with Jeff Carter's mom and even she said that Mike was miserable in Philadelphia. Sometimes, as much as it hurts, you have to move those distractions. I liked Mike, but at the same time, if he was truly miserable in Philadelphia, then he had to go. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it is.

What I like about Laughton is that he's ready for the Pittsburgh - Philadelphia rivalry. He's already jumped into the fray. I'm looking forward to seeing Laughton in Philadelphia.
Come on. Really?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
You have to love how Richards wasn't good enough for the Flyers, but yet they are looking for clones of him.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:22 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
You have to love how Richards wasn't good enough for the Flyers, but yet they are looking for clones of him.
It's not that he wasn't good enough. I think everyone within the Flyers organization realizes Richards was good enough. But when a player is unhappy, you have to make a choice. Do you try to reason and coddle said player into making them happy again or do you move them? The Flyers decided to move Richards. Not the worst move in the world either. Yes, he won a Stanley Cup with the Kings, but can anyone honestly say that he was the driving force behind the Kings winning? Exactly. That team was carried to the Cup by Quick, Kopitar, Brown and Doughty. Richards was a secondary player on that team. He was the lead dog here and he became miserable. Philadelphia is an incredibly tough place and you need incredibly thick skin to survive here. I think if Richards stayed any longer, his misery was going to have a negative effect on everyone else.

Now that the draft is over, I'm interested in what's going to happen when July 1 rolls around. You know that this club will be VERY active that day.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:01 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
It's not that he wasn't good enough. I think everyone within the Flyers organization realizes Richards was good enough. But when a player is unhappy, you have to make a choice. Do you try to reason and coddle said player into making them happy again or do you move them? The Flyers decided to move Richards. Not the worst move in the world either. Yes, he won a Stanley Cup with the Kings, but can anyone honestly say that he was the driving force behind the Kings winning? Exactly. That team was carried to the Cup by Quick, Kopitar, Brown and Doughty. Richards was a secondary player on that team. He was the lead dog here and he became miserable. Philadelphia is an incredibly tough place and you need incredibly thick skin to survive here. I think if Richards stayed any longer, his misery was going to have a negative effect on everyone else.

Now that the draft is over, I'm interested in what's going to happen when July 1 rolls around. You know that this club will be VERY active that day.
Thanks for the insight.....as I've noted earlier..Mike likes to remain in the background. He couldn't do that here for various reasons. It was not a healthy situation all around especially after the Cup run and the organization had to do what was best for him and everybody else going forward. IMO the trade was a wake up call for both of them anyway and they harnessed the initial disappointment and anger positively by helping their team win a cup. Let's really really move on now....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote