HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part IX: Howson often gives nuts to toothless people

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 09:58 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Nash is the face of the franchise and Howson is trying to get another face of the franchise in return for him, which is no easy task. Losing Nash could be a huge blow for Columbus in terms of marketing, jersey sales, etc. Howson is probably holding out hope that some franchise will be desperate enough to cave into his demands or that Nash will have a change of heart and decide to remain a Blue Jacket.

Rangers are better off moving on from Nash. It seems like Howson is in no rush to trade him, with reports that this drama could carry on well into the summer and even into next season. The Rangers can't sit around during the offseason and wait until Howson lowers his demands, if he even lowers them at all.
Yes but he's also looking for a team willing to make up for his poor drafting over the years.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:59 AM
jerseyjinx94
I jinx players.

Did we trade our third round pick?

Old
06-23-2012, 10:00 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Yea to Nashville

06-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Jackpot
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Nash is the face of the franchise and Howson is trying to get another face of the franchise in return for him, which is no easy task. Losing Nash could be a huge blow for Columbus in terms of marketing, jersey sales, etc. Howson is probably holding out hope that some franchise will be desperate enough to cave into his demands or that Nash will have a change of heart and decide to remain a Blue Jacket.

Rangers are better off moving on from Nash. It seems like Howson is in no rush to trade him, with reports that this drama could carry on well into the summer and even into next season. The Rangers can't sit around during the offseason and wait until Howson lowers his demands, if he even lowers them at all.

Think about how this looks for the Columbus organization, do you think players find it attractive to sign up long term with an organization that holds it's players hostage? I think it's time for ownership to step in and smack Howson silly, or straight up relieve him. Once a player requests a trade it's time for both sides to move on, you're done, get what you can and part ways before things get messy. Instead Howson has chosen to not only drag it out past the deadline last season, but past thr draft and possibly into next season. The Rangers won't suffer, Nash will and other players will take note of how Columbus choses to do business.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:07 AM
NikC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Think about how this looks for the Columbus organization, do you think players find it attractive to sign up long term with an organization that holds it's players hostage? I think it's time for ownership to step in and smack Howson silly, or straight up relieve him. Once a player requests a trade it's time for both sides to move on, you're done, get what you can and part ways before things get messy. Instead Howson has chosen to not only drag it out past the deadline last season, but past thr draft and possibly into next season. The Rangers won't suffer, Nash will and other players will take note of how Columbus choses to do business.
good points, also that you noted how the Pens treated Staal. Staal said no, Pens, were pissed, but sent him where he wanted to go and got a fair deal. That was a very professional way of dealing with things. Staal is may lack the overall talent of Nash, but is a comparable player. Our initial deal for Nash was very appropriate.

Time to move on. Howdson knows what's there when July 1 hits.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:16 AM
DutchShamrock

It's between us and SJ. Howson is hoping one or both of us strike out on trades and free agency. He's holding out until we become desperate and cave in to his demands. Unfortunately, he's entering into a staring contest with two of the most patient GMs. This will drag through the CBA/lockout unless it gets ugly in the media or Howson is fired.

Sather didn't cave for Heatley, SJ was patient until Ottawa accepted their price. I'm not convinced NY even wants Nash considering his salary. It may be that the posturing theory is backwards... we may be kicking the tires on Nash to bring down the price on other guys. Or they're just doing their due diligence and asking about an available star.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Lundsanity30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
It's between us and SJ. Howson is hoping one or both of us strike out on trades and free agency. He's holding out until we become desperate and cave in to his demands. Unfortunately, he's entering into a staring contest with two of the most patient GMs. This will drag through the CBA/lockout unless it gets ugly in the media or Howson is fired.

Sather didn't cave for Heatley, SJ was patient until Ottawa accepted their price. I'm not convinced NY even wants Nash considering his salary. It may be that the posturing theory is backwards... we may be kicking the tires on Nash to bring down the price on other guys. Or they're just doing their due diligence and asking about an available star.
I absolutely disagree rangers might not want Nash. They do badly this has been going on for 5 months. Neither teams wants him at the price of kreider or Couture

Old
06-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Vitto79

may be worth a shot as a UFA?

The Minnesota Wild will not offer Guillaume Latendresse a qualifying offer.
The Wild would have to offer Latendresse a minimum of $2.5 million, which is too rich for them given his injury history. He will be eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 as a result. However, Minnesota is still interested in re-signing him at a lesser price.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:47 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post

Old
06-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Ola

To be honest, I think Howson is doing a good job for Columbus.

What would you want for Nash if you were a GM for Columbus?

I would want a little more than Philly got for Mike Richards. IE I would want a good top 2 unit player and a player who is about to become, or got potential to become, a very good NHLer.

Like I would want Brayden Schenn, Simmonds, a prospect like C Thomas maybe and a 1st. Or something like that. And I think it would be worthless if one of the players mentioned were replaced by two decent prospects...

We probably offer something around Dubinsky and Del Zotto. I personally think the value is okey, but the priced player is the defensemen, Del Zotto, and the player who only is serviceble is the forward. I would want that the be reversed if I was GM for Columbus. I would want the priced player to be the forward -- of course. And preferbly I would want the serviceble player to also be a forward. Their blueline is looking good for the future.

Do we have a good offer on the table? Well at least decent. Look at what you normally want for a player like Nash.

Its June 23, 2012. Nash asked for a trade before the deadline. No time has passed already. An offer like ours will probably always be at the table. I've not yet heard of a single bona fide offer for Nash that contains a i) a priced young forward and ii) a serviceble forward.

If Howson turned down an offer of like Schenn, Coutier and a 1st -- I would say that he was crazy. But he hasn't as of yet. He can still fish for a better offer than ours. He got time.

People are reading way too much into what the "asking price" is, as opposed to what the actual turned down offers are.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:58 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

I would want a little more than Philly got for Mike Richards. IE I would want a good top 2 unit player and a player who is about to become, or got potential to become, a very good NHLer.

Like I would want Brayden Schenn, MDZ and a 1st. Or something like that. And I think it would be worthless if one of the players mentioned were replaced by two decent prospects...

We probably offer something around Dubinsky and Del Zotto. I personally think the value is okey, but the priced player is the defensemen, Del Zotto, and the serviceble player is the D. I would want that the be reversed if I was GM for Columbus. And preferbly I would want the priced player to be the forward -- of course. Their blueline is looking good for the future.

Do we have a good offer on the table? Well at least decent. Look at what you normally want for a player like Nash.

Its June 23, 2012. Nash asked for a trade before the deadline. No time has passed already. An offer like ours will probably always be at the table. I've not yet heard of a single bona fide offer for Nash that contains a i) a priced young forward and ii) a serviceble forward.

If Howson turned down an offer of like Schenn, Coutier and a 1st -- I would say that he was crazy. But he hasn't as of yet. He can still fish for a better offer than ours. He got time.
He can "want" whatever he thinks ... but the reality is, there are numerous variables out there that GREATLY reduce the actual price. Remember, in economics the price of something is determined by it's scarcity and market. His market is extremely small, he has a NMC (so he can deny any trade or dictate where he wants to go), his cap hit is absolutely sky high (only a number of teams can reasonably afford him under their budget), and say what you want but his production has been pretty low (although some believe that's because of surrounding talent) so you are taking a risk. Based on this ... his market WILL drop IF he gets moved, and based on everything we have heard or read, it's VERY hard to say he will stay a CBJ. Things can change, he might get frustrated and not care where he gets moved, but that's a story for another day.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
may be worth a shot as a UFA?

The Minnesota Wild will not offer Guillaume Latendresse a qualifying offer.
The Wild would have to offer Latendresse a minimum of $2.5 million, which is too rich for them given his injury history. He will be eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 as a result. However, Minnesota is still interested in re-signing him at a lesser price.
wouldnt mind him.. still young and size is also what the Rangers need up front

Old
06-23-2012, 10:59 AM
Vitto79

on the NHL network they threw out Dan Boyles name as a potential option to be moved. Whaaaaaaaaa..........would love him on the Rangers pairing with Staal.........pipedream I know

Old
06-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
on the NHL network they threw out Dan Boyles name as a potential option to be moved. Whaaaaaaaaa..........would love him on the Rangers pairing with Staal.........pipedream I know
i dunno if it is a pipedream...he did play for Torts in Tampa....although Dubinsky would have to be moved...id love Pavelski on this team...he is a clutch player.. very underrated...

Old
06-23-2012, 11:09 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
i dunno if it is a pipedream...he did play for Torts in Tampa....although Dubinsky would have to be moved...id love Pavelski on this team...he is a clutch player.. very underrated...
I love love LOVE Pavelski. -drool-

Old
06-23-2012, 11:10 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Howson is pretty much screwed no matter what he does, in part because of what Rick Nash means to Columbus. Rick Nash IS Columbus. He's the captain of that team, he's been a part of that franchise for 10 of its 12 years of existence, and he's the only star on that team. Because of that , Columbus overvalues Nash, and Howson is trying to get more in return for him than what Nash really deserves.

Who knows when Howson will realize that the rest of the league doesn't value Nash like his team does. It seems like he's fearful of screwing up this trade so he's trying to get as much as he possibly can without meeting in the middle somewhere. Howson only wants to make a deal on his terms right now so Sather should just focus elsewhere at the moment.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:13 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Howson is trying to make up for years of mismanagement with one fell swoop...and that doesn't happen.

That's on top of the fact that the Blue Jackets gave Rich Nash the type of contract a small market, middling team has to give to a homegrown star to get him to stay for long term. Those contracts are very, very difficult to trade, because they're overpayments.

If Eric Staal ever had a falling out with the Hurricanes, trading him would be very difficult, because, like Nash, he has a terrible contract.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I love love LOVE Pavelski. -drool-
UFA summer of 2013 or 2014 not to sure but he is an UFA real soon get him slats....trade for him now and lock him up

Old
06-23-2012, 11:15 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

People are reading way too much into what the "asking price" is, as opposed to what the actual turned down offers are.
I totally agree. If he asks for the moon there's a chance he could get it. If not, at least he can lower his demands from there. If he starts with a more "reasonable" request he's already lost. To quote Chester L Karrass "You get what you negotiate, not what you deserve." He can always accept less...but he is under no timetable to do so. His team isn't winning squat this year anyway, so what's the rush? People get so angry with him, but would anyone really do any less in trying to maximize the return for his franchise player? That would be poor management.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:22 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I totally agree. If he asks for the moon there's a chance he could get it. If not, at least he can lower his demands from there. If he starts with a more "reasonable" request he's already lost. To quote Chester L Karrass "You get what you negotiate, not what you deserve." He can always accept less...but he is under no timetable to do so. His team isn't winning squat this year anyway, so what's the rush? People get so angry with him, but would anyone really do any less in trying to maximize the return for his franchise player? That would be poor management.
I agree. It's every GM's job to do what they can to improve their team ... sometimes that is taking a step backwards to move forwards. HOWEVER, he has every right to ask for the moon in hopes someone bites, but as time goes by ... it becomes a game of who blinks first ... the drama and circus with the Nash camp/CBJ front office and with the fan base OR a team in need of his talent.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Sather today: "I think we're going to be fairly aggressive in free agent market."
https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/sta...68637971103744

Old
CM PUNK

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Sather today: "I think we're going to be fairly aggressive in free agent market."

Expand Reply
Retweet

Favorite

Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Sather re Sauer: "He feels a little bit better...he's making progress...coming along slowly."
https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/sta...68833274687488

Old
06-23-2012, 11:32 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Slats saw Sauer on the fishing video

Old
06-23-2012, 11:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Slats is going to drive the Cablevision Brinks truck to Newport Sports in Ontario for Parise and Schultz. Maybe Ryan Smyth. Same agency.

Closed Thread