HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Round V, Pick #142: Thomas Spelling

Old
06-23-2012, 10:52 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Round V, Pick #142: Thomas Spelling

POSITION: Forward
SHOOTS: Right
HEIGHT: 6'1"
WEIGHT: 176
BORN: 02/09/93
BORN IN: Denmark

Will play for Rögle in the Swedish Elite League in 2012-13.

Last edited by NYR Sting: 06-23-2012 at 10:58 AM.
NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Jim Cerny ‏@JimCerny
Thomas Spelling scored 21 goals and recorded 37 points in 33 games last season...

And he's from the same city as Frans Nielsen

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Interesting. I know nothing about him whatsoever

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GAGLine

2nd time eligible? Rangers love to take those type of players in the later rounds.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Is their homerun forward?

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I know nothing, but I like Denmark. It's the new Sweden.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Interesting. I know nothing about him whatsoever
37pts in 33 games last year, for Herning in the same home town as Frans Neilsen!

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
37pts in 33 games last year, for Herning in the same home town as Frans Neilsen!

In what league?

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
MorrisWanchuk

Who scouts Denmark for us?

They must have been high on him to trade a future pick.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord
Thomas Spelling, 6-1, 176 pounds, had 21 goals, 16 assists in 33 games for Herning in Denmark. Also 1 G, 3 A, minus-11 in 6 World Jr Games

FINAL RANK: 90 MIDTERM RANK: 91

Mats Zuccarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:59 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Here is a small write up, up there with some interesting names. Playing for Rögle in SEL this year...

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:02 AM
ocarina

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...homas+spelling

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:09 AM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Here is a small write up, up there with some interesting names. Playing for Rögle in SEL this year...
very good, BBKers.
see he was projected to go higher

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:12 AM
hfboardsuser

I think I may be one of the only NA reporters to have spoken with Spelling (via translator), so I've got more information than most.

-Spelling was the 2010-11 AL-Bank Ligaen Rookie of the Year in Denmark's top league and became a star there this season.

-Big, strong kid who has really improved his skating since being eligible last year. He's still not and likely never will be a burner, but he's added enough punch to keep up with the play and has a variety of gear changes available to throw off opponents.

-Confident, crafty stickhandler for a big man. Uses his size and shoulders to his advantage in protecting the puck.

-Natural goal-scorer. Heavy shot and loves to drive wide and then cut back inside to hand-cuff with the goalie with it.

-Burgeoning playmaking game. Solid vision and as his skating has improved, he's been able to make more advanced plays in the offensive zone.

Only a couple of teams had talked to Spelling by January- the Predators being one I know for sure- and he wasn't at all confident about being drafted. His is a long-term plan, as is obvious from the route he intends to take. Timra was the Elitserien team he originally wanted to play (due to Peter Regin) but for whatever reason that didn't pan out. 2-3 years and you could have a great complementary player on your hands.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:20 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I think I may be one of the only NA reporters to have spoken with Spelling (via translator), so I've got more information than most.

-Spelling was the 2010-11 AL-Bank Ligaen Rookie of the Year in Denmark's top league and became a star there this season.

-Big, strong kid who has really improved his skating since being eligible last year. He's still not and likely never will be a burner, but he's added enough punch to keep up with the play and has a variety of gear changes available to throw off opponents.

-Confident, crafty stickhandler for a big man. Uses his size and shoulders to his advantage in protecting the puck.

-Natural goal-scorer. Heavy shot and loves to drive wide and then cut back inside to hand-cuff with the goalie with it.

-Burgeoning playmaking game. Solid vision and as his skating has improved, he's been able to make more advanced plays in the offensive zone.

Only a couple of teams had talked to Spelling by January- the Predators being one I know for sure- and he wasn't at all confident about being drafted. His is a long-term plan, as is obvious from the route he intends to take. Timra was the Elitserien team he originally wanted to play (due to Peter Regin) but for whatever reason that didn't pan out. 2-3 years and you could have a great complementary player on your hands.
Thanks for the info. Not much risk here. I mean we burned a 5th on John Scott. Sounds like Spelling has a good bit more upside.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:22 AM
Jacques Strap

Anders Hedberg special.

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ospects/page22

3/4 of the way down the page.

It will be a surprise to me if Spelling is not on the NT in ALL tournaments next season. He has so many assets the NT are in need of:

Goal scoring touch
A right shot
Good wrister
Speedy skates
Creativity on the powerplay
AND ONCE MORE... A RIGHT SHOT

To me, he is - besides Nicklas Jensen - the most interesting prospect to come out of the Danish league in the last 5-7 years. Well, since Peter Regin and Jannik Hansen. He has all the tools to become one of the best Danish players and whichever NHL team drafts him (if) have found a diamond in the rough.

When that is said, there is plenty of room for improvent:
Bulking up - fill out the frame. I'd say that Spelling's ideal "hockey weight" would be around 85-88 kg. But that is not something he should set for within 1 or 2 years. Focusing on building on muscles instead of adding more fat than actual muscle mass.
Improving the defensive aspect of his game
Bettering his strengths: Shot, skating etc.
Adjust to the tempo and speed of international hockey.

Frans Nielsen apparently likes him quite much.

Last edited by Jacques Strap: 06-23-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Jacques Strap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:41 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

I wonder I'd we get him into to CHL this year

Old
06-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Valdemar
Danish junior hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I wonder I'd we get him into to CHL this year
Pardon me for saying this but why do you want him to go to CHL, when he has a contract with a team in SEL (a league the strength of AHL)?
I am pretty sure he will develop better playing in Sweden for a couple of years before going to NA.

Valdemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesSir View Post
Pardon me for saying this but why do you want him to go to CHL, when he has a contract with a team in SEL (a league the strength of AHL)?
I am pretty sure he will develop better playing in Sweden for a couple of years before going to NA.

I'm guessing you have seen Spelling play, so how is the description of Spelling in the Danish prospects forum below? Is it accurate? Thanks.

It will be a surprise to me if Spelling is not on the NT in ALL tournaments next season. He has so many assets the NT are in need of:

Goal scoring touch
A right shot
Good wrister
Speedy skates
Creativity on the powerplay
AND ONCE MORE... A RIGHT SHOT

To me, he is - besides Nicklas Jensen - the most interesting prospect to come out of the Danish league in the last 5-7 years. Well, since Peter Regin and Jannik Hansen. He has all the tools to become one of the best Danish players and whichever NHL team drafts him (if) have found a diamond in the rough.

When that is said, there is plenty of room for improvent:
Bulking up - fill out the frame. I'd say that Spelling's ideal "hockey weight" would be around 85-88 kg. But that is not something he should set for within 1 or 2 years. Focusing on building on muscles instead of adding more fat than actual muscle mass.
Improving the defensive aspect of his game
Bettering his strengths: Shot, skating etc.
Adjust to the tempo and speed of international hockey.

Frans Nielsen apparently likes him quite much.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:47 PM
DanishRangersFan

vCash: 558
Send a message via MSN to DanishRangersFan
There is an interview with him here http://tv2sport.dk/spelling-jeg-er-bare-glad which is from a danish tv-station. I´ll translate it for you :

- I´m so happy. I got several calls and texts while I was out, and it was a great feeling.

Spelling and his agent had spoken to several NHL-teams before the draft, but he didn´t expect that he would get drafted.

- I didnt expect it, Spelling said. Rangers was one of the clubs I had spoken to, but not the one that had showed the most interest, and I didnt think they were the ones that would draft me.

That Spelling is now drafted doesn´t mean that he wont join Rögle in Sweden.

- I dont think I will go to NA for atleast two years. I had spoken to the Rangers before the draft about attending their summer camp, but dont know if I´ll be able to make it there.

- The most important thing for me right now is attending all the preparations in Rögle to be ready for the new season and hopefully make their best team.

Thats about it. I hope you find it usefull

DanishRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:05 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Strap View Post
I'm guessing you have seen Spelling play, so how is the description of Spelling in the Danish prospects forum below? Is it accurate? Thanks
It's pretty accurate.. The guys on that forum especially the danish part are all very much into Danish youth hockey, some even work with or for the clubs and some are coaches.

Spelling is a great player, and this comes from a guy who does NOT support the team he comes from! He had 20 points in the PO and scored allot of important goals.

Many were quite surprised he wasnt drafted last year. Im not gonna promise you guys that you have a certain NHL player here.. But the potential is definitely there. He is being trusted with SEL minutes next Season, which shows great maturity.

He played on a baby line in Herning with Oliver Björkstrand - Thomas Spelling - Patrick Björkstrand. A line that did tremendously well.

Oliver is draft eligable next year.. Watch out for him..

Last edited by ImGoingNucks: 06-23-2012 at 01:11 PM.
ImGoingNucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Jacques Strap

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingNuck View Post
It's pretty accurate.. The guys on that forum especially the danish part are all very much into Danish youth hockey, some even work with or for the clubs and some are coaches.

Spelling is a great player, and this comes from a guy who does NOT support the team he comes from! He had 20 points in the PO and scored allot of important goals.

Many were quite surprised he wasnt drafted last year. Im not gonna promise you guys that you have a certain NHL player here.. But the potential is definitely there. He is being trusted with SEL minutes next Season, which shows great maturity.

He played on a baby line in Herning with Oliver Björkstrand - Thomas Spelling - Patrick Björkstrand. A line that did tremendously well.

Oliver is draft eligable next year.. Watch out for him..

Thanks very much for the info.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:17 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

It's an interesting pick for sure, falls in line with what the Rangers have liked to do in the later rounds recently.

I think his production in the SEL this coming season will be a much bigger tell on what kind of player we have on our hands here.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

vCash: 50
Off goes the Norwegains, welcome to the Danes
PS! Don't send you political corresponants to the press conferences. For Tort's sake.

Ilovemymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

WOW @ Nick Ebert going LAST overall. Formerly looked at as a top 3 OVERALL pick two years ago. Talk about not developing. I called him going in the 5th or so round and was laughed at by some of the idiots on the main board. Last overall. Unreal.