HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Buf-chi

Old
06-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

vCash: 50
Buf-chi

With the recent drafted 2 centers in Grigorenko and Girgensons, one of them will have a pretty good chance in cracking the lineup since they want to have bigger centers

Derek Roy, only has 1 year left on his contract, will receive good pieces back since the market for good centers is really small

Chicago phones.

to CHI: Jhonas Enroth, Derek Roy

to BUF: Patrick Kane

What says you?

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:13 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

vCash: 500
"Nice prank call Burke but stop screwing around pretending your Bowman, I'm expecting a call from Murray about Bobby Ryan" *click*

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:34 AM
clumping platelets

I'd prefer

Roy for Hjalmarsson

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:39 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarome Iginla View Post
With the recent drafted 2 centers in Grigorenko and Girgensons, one of them will have a pretty good chance in cracking the lineup since they want to have bigger centers

Derek Roy, only has 1 year left on his contract, will receive good pieces back since the market for good centers is really small

Chicago phones.

to CHI: Jhonas Enroth, Derek Roy

to BUF: Patrick Kane

What says you?
How about Roy for Jankowski and a 3rd

Buffalo would love this trade hockey-wise. Chicago would never do it. Everything I hear from people is that Chicago is not even remotely considering shopping Kane. On top of that, I'm not sure how good it works out salary-wise for Buffalo, though it's certainly workable. I'd sure do it due to how great the value is though I know some here want nothing to do with Kane at any price.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:51 AM
Sean Monahan
#Moneyman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post

Buffalo would love this trade hockey-wise. Chicago would never do it. Everything I hear from people is that Chicago is not even remotely considering shopping Kane. On top of that, I'm not sure how good it works out salary-wise for Buffalo, though it's certainly workable. I'd sure do it due to how great the value is though I know some here want nothing to do with Kane at any price.
Do all you Sabres fans like Jankowski

Sean Monahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 05:22 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post

I'm one of them. Pat back in Buffalo would be a bad idea.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 06:43 AM
HiddenInLight

Id rather trade for bobby ryan....no patt Kane in buffalo. If we had to get a oane id want the one in winnipeg.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 07:21 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

I'd do it in a heartbeat. Good luck taking that to the Chicago board though.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:19 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatterson14206 View Post
I'd do it in a heartbeat. Good luck taking that to the Chicago board though.
Putting my lack of interest in Kane aside and acknowledging that it's a very good trade value wise.

From a team building pov, Why would we want a small winger, even as talented as Kane, with a big cap hit (6.3mil)?

If we are trading for someone with a cap hit like that I would want a top 6 forward with size, preferably a center. These are things that are much bigger priorities up front.

Plus we have a far less expensive winger in the Kane mold already on the roster.......Ennis.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-23-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old
06-23-2012, 08:38 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Why does everyone assume Kane is on the trading block? He is not going anywhere, and I'm a Sabres fan.

I would get aim for Ryan because it would be less of a package.

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:43 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Putting my lack of interest in Kane aside and acknowledging that it's a very good trade value wise.

From a team building pov, Why would we want a small winger, even as talented as Kane, with a big cap hit (6.3mil)?

If we are trading for someone with a cap hit like that I would want a top 6 forward with size, preferably a center. These are things that are much bigger priorities up front.

Plus we have a far less expensive winger in the Kane mold already on the roster.......Ennis.
I'm not sure if you watched the NHL last year, Ennis is a center. He was drafted at center, and he ripped up the league at center over a decent stretch of games.

You don't have to be 6+ feet tall to be a center. That's a myth. Besides, Kane IS bigger than Roy, so it's a size upgrade.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:50 AM
buffalorules

Roy for teuvo and 2nd??

buffalorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:10 AM
joshjull

Quote:
I'm not sure if you watched the NHL last year, .
No I didn't, what happened?

Quote:
Ennis is a center. He was drafted at center, and he ripped up the league at center over a decent stretch of games.
Ennis is a talented player who can play wing and center. Am I wrong?

With the recent center draftees and Hodgson on the roster, its likely Ennis will go back to wing when those two hit the NHL. Thus my point about already having a Kane like player on the wing.

Roy has nothing to do with it.
Quote:
You don't have to be 6+ feet tall to be a center. That's a myth. Besides, Kane IS bigger than Roy, so it's a size upgrade
Where did I say you have to be 6' tall to be a center? You're getting wound up over things I never said.

As for Kane being an upgrade in size from Roy, give me a break. Kane is 5'11" 181lbs and Roy is 5'9" 184lbs. Neither is big or physical and its a wash in the size department. Its pretty silly to argue Kane is an upgrade in size.

But again thats not the point.

I asked you why we need to add such a high cap hit (6.3mil) player thats a small winger? When we already have a much cheaper version of him already on the roster in Ennis. You got so hung up on my refering to Ennis as a wing you missed the point.

You may not have to be big to play center but you DO NEED size on your roster. Adding yet another small skill player, particulary in the top 6, is not something we need to do. Certainly not with a cap hit like Kane's.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-23-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old
06-23-2012, 11:05 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
I'd prefer

Roy for Hjalmarsson
Not opposed to such but that would likely mean that Sekera goes to another team in a package to get another NHL center back to replace the hole left by Roy....?

Quote:
I'm one of them. Pat back in Buffalo would be a bad idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
Id rather trade for bobby ryan....no patt Kane in buffalo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
I would get aim for Ryan because it would be less of a package.
Not only less of a package going to the other team for Ryan vs. Kane but the Sabres would be getting a better deal coming their way: bigger player with speed, offensive skills and better contract. And that's ignoring any of the controversy that Kane's off-ice habits bring compared to Ryan's.

Sometimes, I think the Buffalo-born angle and "hometown boy comes back" premises get so overhyped and built-up as a misguided priority. It's as if playing in the city you grew up on instantly translates to success when, instead, I think history has shown that doing so puts more pressure and public scrutiny on the player than normal.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:33 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Roy, something for Hammer and Kruger.

Leopold for a pick to San Jose/whoever (the Sharks done goofed not being in on Z, unless that was a Pittsburgh-PHX thing exclusively).

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Jeremy2020

I'd pass on Kane. Don't think he fits the team well.

Jeremy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:42 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
Not opposed to such but that would likely mean that Sekera goes to another team in a package to get another NHL center back to replace the hole left by Roy....?

Not only less of a package going to the other team for Ryan vs. Kane but the Sabres would be getting a better deal coming their way: bigger player with speed, offensive skills and better contract. And that's ignoring any of the controversy that Kane's off-ice habits bring compared to Ryan's.

Sometimes, I think the Buffalo-born angle and "hometown boy comes back" premises get so overhyped and built-up as a misguided priority. It's as if playing in the city you grew up on instantly translates to success when, instead, I think history has shown that doing so puts more pressure and public scrutiny on the player than normal.
And there's plenty of reason to wonder if Kane has the maturity to deal with that too...at least at this point in his career.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:48 AM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
No I didn't, what happened?

Ennis is a talented player who can play wing and center. Am I wrong?

With the recent center draftees and Hodgson on the roster, its likely Ennis will go back to wing when those two hit the NHL. Thus my point about already having a Kane like player on the wing.

Roy has nothing to do with it.

Where did I say you have to be 6' tall to be a center? You're getting wound up over things I never said.

As for Kane being an upgrade in size from Roy, give me a break. Kane is 5'11" 181lbs and Roy is 5'9" 184lbs. Neither is big or physical and its a wash in the size department. Its pretty silly to argue Kane is an upgrade in size.

But again thats not the point.

I asked you why we need to add such a high cap hit (6.3mil) player thats a small winger? When we already have a much cheaper version of him already on the roster in Ennis. You got so hung up on my refering to Ennis as a wing you missed the point.

You may not have to be big to play center but you DO NEED size on your roster. Adding yet another small skill player, particulary in the top 6, is not something we need to do. Certainly not with a cap hit like Kane's.
Can you have too many skilled forwards? Cap hit is a concern, but if we lose Roy it's only ~$2+ million more.

I just don't see how "we already have Ennis" is an argument not to pick up a really good player because he's also short and may at some times play a similar position, like we've got one roster spot for wingers.

You also called Ennis a "winger" when AFAIK he will start the year as a center.

Also, Girgensons isn't a "lock" to make the team at all, and if he does it wont be for at least 3 years IMO. That's a long time, Ennis will be 25 by then, if he's still ripping it up at center would you risk moving him to wing because some rookie who plays center is NHL ready?

You also fail to realize that we'd be REPLACING Roy (who is on the team and if nothing else changes will be) a top 6 player who is small and the furthest thing from "physical", with Kane, a top 6 player who is very similar, just better and even slightly bigger. He's also got some playoff success, something people always bag on Roy about.

Just think, Roy out, Kane in. How is that not an upgrade? It's not like we're losing Stafford (a winger with size which we need more of) with Kane. Little skilled guy for slightly bigger more skilled guy.

I don't see how this is anything but an upgrade.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:02 PM
clumping platelets

Quote:

My thought exactly

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:28 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Can you have too many skilled forwards? Cap hit is a concern, but if we lose Roy it's only ~$2+ million more.

I just don't see how "we already have Ennis" is an argument not to pick up a really good player because he's also short and may at some times play a similar position, like we've got one roster spot for wingers.
We need to add size with skill in our top 9 and particularly in our top 6. Kane does not address this at all. We need someone like Bobby Ryan with size who uses it and is a 30+ goal scorer.

Quote:
You also called Ennis a "winger" when AFAIK he will start the year as a center.
Let it go already. My god, its like I insulted the kid by refering to him as a winger.

Btw I agree he will likely start the season as a center but he has spent the majority of his time in the NHL as a winger.

Quote:
Also, Girgensons isn't a "lock" to make the team at all, and if he does it wont be for at least 3 years IMO. That's a long time, Ennis will be 25 by then, if he's still ripping it up at center would you risk moving him to wing because some rookie who plays center is NHL ready?
We currently have 5 young centers in the system with a shot in the next 1-3 years to make the roster. Grigs, Girgs, Adam, Sundher and Catenacci. With Hodgson already on the roster its not outside the realm of reality that Ennis will not be one of our top 6 centers in the very near future. Ennis hasn't actually been a clearcut top 6 center yet in his career. With his abiltiy to play wing its not outlandish to suggest he could get moved back there. He certainly doesn't make sense as a defensive center on the 3rd line.

Quote:
You also fail to realize that we'd be REPLACING Roy (who is on the team and if nothing else changes will be) a top 6 player who is small and the furthest thing from "physical", with Kane, a top 6 player who is very similar, just better and even slightly bigger. He's also got some playoff success, something people always bag on Roy about.
Actually we WILL NOT be replacing Roy in the lineup. Adding Kane for Roy creates a hole at center and makes us weaker at the center position. Thus forcing us to go out and get another center. All for what exactly? To add a type winger we really don't have a need for.

We would also would have to go out and get a replacement for Enroth.

Quote:
Just think, Roy out, Kane in. How is that not an upgrade? It's not like we're losing Stafford (a winger with size which we need more of) with Kane. Little skilled guy for slightly bigger more skilled guy.
There is no increase in size

We add a skilled offensive winger who is the better of the two offensively but not to the point that it warrants losing an allsitutions cetner that can put up good offensive numbers. This trade doesn't make us better.

But most importantly, Pat Kane in Buffalo would be an unmitigated disaster. I dread the thought of him even coming here.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-23-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 12:38 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Why do we constantly want to put Ennis back on the wing when he was sooooooo much better than any of our centers? His move to the middle changed the entire feel of the team for the better. The more time the puck is on his stick leading the rush through the neutral zone, the better. If you want to put someone else on the wing, put Hodgson or Roy there. Please stop messing with Ennis. He was by far our best player when he's in the middle of the ice.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:43 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Why do we constantly want to put Ennis back on the wing when he was sooooooo much better than any of our centers? His move to the middle changed the entire feel of the team for the better. The more time the puck is on his stick leading the rush through the neutral zone, the better. If you want to put someone else on the wing, put Hodgson or Roy there. Please stop messing with Ennis. He was by far our best player when he's in the middle of the ice.
Its not a matter of wanting to. Its a matter of down the road that may be best for the team to keep him on a scoring line. Its actually a credit to his versatility and talent that he can not only do it but do it well. Hodgson for example doesn't like playing wing and it wouldn't be a good move to put him there.

As for being our best player. Lets not get too carried away. Ennis was certainly the most dynamic and exciting. But context matters and he was playing easier minutes with a 3 line setup. It reminded me of Connolly before he got knocked out in the 05-06 playoffs. There is big difference between that and being a clearcut top scoring line center.

That said I;m excited to see what he can do this year, particularly if we come into the season with a 3 line setup like we had at the end of the year.

Last edited by joshjull: 06-23-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Its not a matter of wanting to. Its a matter of down the road that may be best for the team to keep him on a scoring line. Its actually a credit to his versatility and talent that he can not only do it but do it well. Hodgson for example doesn't like playing wing and it wouldn't be a good move to put him there.

As for being our best player. Lets not get too carried away. Ennis was certainly the most dynamic and exciting. But context matters and he was playing easier minutes with a 3 line setup. It reminded me of Connolly before he got knocked out in the 05-06 playoffs. There is big difference between that and being a clearcut top scoring line center.

That said I;m excited to see what he can do this year, particularly if we come into the season with a 3 line setup like we had at the end of the year.
welcome aboard

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:02 PM
AxxVicarious

Quote:
I'd rather not trade away one of our more consistent young defensemen just to plug in a stop-gap for a year or two before our young centers push people out of the lineup.

Maybe I'm just a Sekera fanboy, but the past couple years he's really improved, and is probably our most consistent defensemen, even with the occasional stupid play coming up ice.

AxxVicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:12 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
welcome aboard
Welcome aboard?