HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs have bought out Scott Gomez

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 11:27 AM
Stradale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
Ouf course, the people saying that buying out Gomez is a dumb thing to do are not the ones who would be paying his salary to play in the AHL.

They will in turn say that Molson should bite the bullet and pay him anyway as he has enough money to do so, but they're not the ones who pay the bill.

And they will conveniently forget that Molson has 600 million big reasons not to want to pay another $10M to a player in the minors in addition to the cap which he spends....

It's so easy to spend other people's money, isn't it?
Burying Gomez in the minors is a better business and hockey decision than buy him out.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:32 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Ouf course, the people saying that buying out Gomez is a dumb thing to do are not the ones who would be paying his salary to play in the AHL.

They will in turn say that Molson should bite the bullet and pay him anyway as he has enough money to do so, but they're not the ones who pay the bill.

And they will conveniently forget that Molson has 600 million big reasons not to want to pay another $10M to a player in the minors in addition to the cap which he spends....

Hum, yes, they are... how do you suppose the habs get their money from ? Mars ?

Cry me a river with this crap about other people's money... Most of us here have to deal with much tighter budget decisions in every day life than the Molsons...

Old
06-23-2012, 11:33 AM
SAKS AVENUE

If you were MB would you not make a hasty decision. What I mean is, it's a new beginning. The entire coaching staff and brain trust has been overhauled. A new plan with a new system, maybe therrien is what the doctor ordered for Gomez. A coach that will make him reach down deep inside to find himself again. HE STILL HAS HIS goto guy in Gionta to find possible career years for both of them.

As far as I know the dressing room loves him, he's not a ***** that everyone hates. He just makes a lot of money in a city that just can't swallow it. Yes, he's been bad but he can still rush the puck like nobody else, he just needs to stop giving up on the play after the blue line. Maybe the new regime can resurrect him.

I don't know, I think there is still something there, not worth his contract but valuable none the less.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:34 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

In the big picture, the 10 mil that it costs versus 6.6 mil is made up with ONE playoff game. Bury him to give your rookie GM a shot at improving the team.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Burying Gomez in the minors is a better business and hockey decision than buy him out.
Not a better business decision in pure dollars if you're paying his full salary versus a portion of it.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:36 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
Is this Brunet guy reliable?
Not really, although he's a good writer.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:37 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

I don't think it's true... yet.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:37 AM
WG

Quote:

I fail to see your point. Most of us understand this. We also undertsand that a buyout, which compromises the team's cap hit, could be detrimental to the team's ability to acquire players and help win. Which we care about a whole lot more than whether the owner rakes a huge profit or merely a great profit.

My desire is to see the team win. I confess I would not lose any sleep if the team won the Cup and Molson lost money in the process. I do not however think that such a thing is likely.

The man is a powerful businessman, in hard dollars and cents I am sure the extra 3.3M associated with burying the contract would cost Molson a lot less once the accountants got involved, as it is still of course an operating expense for the buisness. But some of you guys sound like you are worried that Molson is going to have to sell off his mother's china to pay for this.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:38 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Considering it doesn't seem like anyone else has even heard of this (as a rumor or a possibility or an eventuality), I'm closing up shop. If we get something more concrete, it'll be reopened.

Most recent update from Brunet (thanks to Coldplay for the heads up):

Quote:
@mathiasbrunet

Je suis allé aux sources pour vérifier cette rumeur concernant le rachat de Scott Gomez: aucune confirmation. Pas de party pour l'instant...
(I went to the source to confirm that rumor concerning Scott Gomez - no confirmation. No party for the moment.)

Closed Thread