HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Despres Available For Pittsburgh?

Old
06-23-2012, 12:08 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylonus View Post
Rossi is such a joke. Shero has already stated Despres and Morrow can not be had at any price. They're untouchable.

Someone get this hack off social media
Oh dang, I was about to offer Toews + Kane for Despres + Morrow but if you say they can't be had I'll take my business elsewhere.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:12 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
Oh dang, I was about to offer Toews + Kane for Despres + Morrow but if you say they can't be had I'll take my business elsewhere.
I was thinking about it, but I felt we need to do something to make it seem like you're not overpaying. We'll give you Martin to make things fair

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:25 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Shero said only "guys like 87 and 71" are unavailable.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:33 PM
ponder

I don't really get the Despres hype. Yes, he's roughly NHL ready at the moment, but as a bottom pairing dman. He just does not seem that talented with the puck, and while he is big, he's not overly physical, and more solid than great defensively. Long term I see him as a bottom pairing dman who maybe has 2nd pairing upside, but I don't see him as a stud. I think he's no better than the Pens 4th best d prospect (long term), behind Morrow, Pouliot and Maatta. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they moved him.

ponder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Moebius

Good for you duder, but a lot of people think otherwise

Moebius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

Doubt they move him. Man Pittsburgh did great yesterday, they have a ton of great young D prospects now, doesn't mean they will all pan out. Pretty interesting to look at though.

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:37 PM
Warm Cookies
The Dynamic Duo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I don't really get the Despres hype. Yes, he's roughly NHL ready at the moment, but as a bottom pairing dman. He just does not seem that talented with the puck, and while he is big, he's not overly physical, and more solid than great defensively. Long term I see him as a bottom pairing dman who maybe has 2nd pairing upside, but I don't see him as a stud. I think he's no better than the Pens 4th best d prospect (long term), behind Morrow, Pouliot and Maatta. I wouldn't be particularly surprised if they moved him.
Despres has already looked great whenever he's been called up. As in, "the best defenseman on the team outside of Letang" great.

His size, skating, and two-way instincts have been very, very impressive.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:38 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Would be a mistake but if they can pull off a move like Neal but with an even better return.... who can blame them?

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Ugene Malkin
Hello Mr. Andersen

Quote:
A lot of people disagree with your sentiment.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:43 PM
SomeDude

For the 400th time, Rossi isn't a reliable source. He's a joke. He's turned from a reporter to a wannabe Eklund.

Michalek was moved and Martin could still get moved because Despres is ready. They're not going to move him unless its a deal they have to take.

SomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:49 PM
SEALBound
RIP Elmer

Quote:
I know it's cliche`...but...you don't watch much Pens hockey, particularly the games he's played in...do you?

Very talented with the puck. Is he Datsyuk? No of course not. But he's very fluid and comfortable with the puck. When all the prospects are ripe for picking, I predict he'll be paired with Letang as the #2.

SEALBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:07 PM
Sh00terMcGavin
#GenoNation

I think there's a lot of overrating and underrating of Despres here. The sample size is simply much too small to determine how good he's going to be.

Sh00terMcGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:09 PM
AccuracyFive
87SidGeno71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
I know it's cliche`...but...you don't watch much Pens hockey, particularly the games he's played in...do you?

Very talented with the puck. Is he Datsyuk? No of course not. But he's very fluid and comfortable with the puck. When all the prospects are ripe for picking, I predict he'll be paired with Letang as the #2.
I think so too. But after the moves yesterday, I just cant help thinking we're going to have to move a couple, maybe 2 of them because they all have high ceilings and are all going to be top 4 dman. With that being said, I hope Despres isnt moved. Hes shown hes ready and that hes going to be stud. Like you said, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw something like this:

Orpik-Letang
Despres-Suter

Obivously that if we got Suter but even than I think hes going to be part of our top 4 come October.

AccuracyFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:11 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Only Pittsburgh fans.

LatvianTwist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:21 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Only Pittsburgh fans.
To say he has maybe 2nd pairing upside is definitely underselling him, He's by know means a lock to be a top pairing guy but he definitely has 2nd pairing upside. He's only turning 21 in a month and has already looked good in the games he's played in the NHL. He's 6'4 ,a great skater and has tools to be good at both ends of the rink.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:25 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Only Pittsburgh fans.

Only ones that really matter, don't you think???

nwpensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:28 PM
OilerFan4Life

vCash: 1991
Despres in a package for Yandle maybe?

OilerFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Fraction Jackson

It's Rossi so it's likely based on nothing.

That said, you have to figure at least some of our younger defenders have to be on the move sooner or later. There are a bunch that are all more or less in the same mold of two-way guys with at least average size (Maatta, Harrington) to guys that have that as a big strength (Despres, Dumoulin, Bortuzzo). None of them have elite offensive skills, but all of them pass and handle the puck well, have decent vision, etc. They're the prototypical Pittsburgh sort of defenders and all of them have a decent chance to be top 4, two-way D in their own ways if they hit their ceiling.

Then you have a couple more physical, stay-at-home types in McNeil and Strait. You've also got two potentially elite offensive defensemen with elite skating ability, one with a mean streak (Morrow), and one who plays a calmer, more disciplined style (Pouliot). There's also another guy in that mold, less highly touted but still a potential NHLer, in D'Agostino. And that's not even getting into the more fringe guys like Samuelsson, Sneep, etc.

The point is of course that we can't possibly have all these guys at the NHL level. There is absolutely no doubt that we are positively stacked in terms of defense prospects, more than we already were. Therefore, it's basically a given that a couple of them will be traded eventually.

Could one of those be Despres? It's possible; he was highly regarded before he was drafted, but dropped. He's developed very well since then and has shown that he can play good defense at the NHL level already; by any reasonable standard he is a top-tier defense prospect in the league right now, though certainly there's guys that are ahead of him. He would be a major part of most deals. I wouldn't want to trade him, simply because he gives us an inexpensive option for next year if we move another defenseman. But he would have fairly strong value and if the right deal came along I wouldn't have a problem with it.

Fraction Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:06 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh00terMcGavin View Post
I think there's a lot of overrating and underrating of Despres here. The sample size is simply much too small to determine how good he's going to be.
this.

We truly don't know what he is exactly. He could be anything. Yes he's looked great but he's been sheltered. He doesn't have a 2nd parring ceiling and but he very well may settle into that role.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:15 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Despres is good, no doubt. But if the Pens think Dumoulin & Maatta are better long-term, than I think it makes Despres a prime candidate for a trade....IF they look to the trade route (Ryan, Setoguchi, etc.) for bringing in a forward as opposed to UFA (Parise).

Also, if Pens sign Suter, AND they feel those above-two prospects or as good or better, this makes Despres as trade bait even more likely.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:27 PM
Common Sense

Makes aboslutely no sense whatsoever. If the Penguins wanted to upgrade their forward depth they could've just taken Forsberg.

Common Sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:29 PM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
Makes aboslutely no sense whatsoever. If the Penguins wanted to upgrade their forward depth they could've just taken Forsberg.
and all the teams drafting before he was picked have loaded forward pools? There was obviously something going on with this guy that wasn't exactly public knowledge.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:31 PM
Superpest
Undrafted Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giskard View Post
Despres + Martin for B. Ryan ?
LOL good luck with that one.

Superpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Habs would have been all over this, the Pens IMO are not moving Despres. This kid is the real deal and will be great for the Penguins for years

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:33 PM
edro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charming View Post
LOL good luck with that one.
Pens would have to adds but I can see a Ryan for Despres ++ happening....

edro* is offline   Reply With Quote