HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Rank the Draft Picks

Old
06-23-2012, 12:04 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Rank the Draft Picks

Rank the picks not by potential or skill or what not but factor value for pick with overall talent.

Basically you LOVED LIKED OK DISLIKED HATE

Try to rate on that scale

for me

Grigorenko, Girgensons, McCabe, Ullmark, Peterson, Nelson, Austin, Kea

Love the Grigorenko, and Girgensons
Like the McCabe, Ullmark, and Peterson
Ok the Nelson
Dislike the Austin, and Kea
Hate none

Overall grade A-

The first round was awesome, thus highly impacting the grade. Not as impressed with the second day but still good enough to stay just below the A range.

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

vCash: 500
They got a potential first-line center (with top-3 pick talent). That alone makes the entire draft a huge success.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Tough to comment on the later round picks. This draft will be largely determined by the success of Grigorenko and Girgensons, and, to a lesser extent, McCabe. If those three meet their potential, this draft will be a huge success. A good draft will produce 3-4 good NHL'ers. I think this draft has that potential.

Overall: A-. Would've liked a scoring winger today, but a minor complaint.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Ball1374

Very pleased, and kinda surprised at how many centers we took. Thought maybe a winger would've gone in the 4th or 5th, but I'm not complaining restocking the middle. I'd give it an A-, very, very solid, but would've liked one more winger taken.

Can any of the prospect guru's give a couple names of possible prospect camp invites/undrafted FA wingers that the organization could be looking at?

Ball1374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:27 PM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Tough to comment on the later round picks. This draft will be largely determined by the success of Grigorenko and Girgensons, and, to a lesser extent, McCabe. If those three meet their potential, this draft will be a huge success. A good draft will produce 3-4 good NHL'ers. I think this draft has that potential.

Overall: A-. Would've liked a scoring winger today, but a minor complaint.
I agree completely Zip, I was waiting for us to grab a scoring winger as well.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

The draft was an A+ after day 1. End of Story.

Day 2. We got bigger. Good.

I really like the McCabe pick. He'll be an NHLer, I'm fairly confident. Wisconsin churns out D men. He's a leader. He's mature. He does everything fairly well. He'll be playing in Buffalo someday.

Im glad we added some oomph with Kea and Austin, even though Kea was a reach, and Austin is a long shot. Kea is a player a guy that looks like a 6th rounder. But he fills a big organizational need. We don't have anyone like him in the pipeline... and now we do.

Nelson and Peterson are nice projects to get some long term center depth in the pipe. i don't know enough about either player to be too excited. But they are forwards, they have some decent size, and they each have an impressive offensive statistic that we can look at and say "ooooooooo"

I love the Ullmark pick. I believe in stockpiling goalie prospects. We should take 1 every year.

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
I agree completely Zip, I was waiting for us to grab a scoring winger as well.
Peterson, scoring winger?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:39 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The draft was an A+ after day 1. End of Story.

Day 2. We got bigger. Good.

I really like the McCabe pick. He'll be an NHLer, I'm fairly confident. Wisconsin churns out D men. He's a leader. He's mature. He does everything fairly well. He'll be playing in Buffalo someday.

Im glad we added some oomph with Kea and Austin, even though Kea was a reach, and Austin is a long shot. Kea is a player a guy that looks like a 6th rounder. But he fills a big organizational need. We don't have anyone like him in the pipeline... and now we do.

Nelson and Peterson are nice projects to get some long term center depth in the pipe. i don't know enough about either player to be too excited. But they are forwards, they have some decent size, and they each have an impressive offensive statistic that we can look at and say "ooooooooo"

I love the Ullmark pick. I believe in stockpiling goalie prospects. We should take 1 every year.
Don't forget, the Sabres probably got plenty of viewing of McCabe given Navin is in the pipeline already.

Initial thoughts on this draft are great. And even if only the first rounders pan out, I'd say the same thing.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:40 PM
5 Minute Major

The only complaint I have is I would have liked to come out of this draft with a better goalie than we did.

I think that position is now the weakest in the organization.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote