HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

The Offseason Thread Part IX: Howson often gives nuts to toothless people

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 11:36 AM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Torts and Messier have both stated that the team needs more depth, so being active in free agency makes sense.

They need to shore up the 3rd pair, add another scorer if possible, and find a replacement for Prust. I doubt the Rangers will land Parise or Suter but they will do their due diligence and get involved anyway, even if it only means driving up the price for other suitors.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:37 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

$14M is the MAX salary with a $70M cap. You can frontload $12M of the $14M as a signing bonus as lockout language.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:48 AM
Chief

The only time we'll be able to figure out if Howson has done a good job will be when he makes the trade and we see what he gets back (of course, we won't actually know what he passed up in the past). I don't think history would tell you Howson is doing a good job though.

Letting the draft go by means no draft picks become part of your organization for another full year. If he waits until after July 1st, then the market will shrink as UFA's get signed.

On the other end of the spectrum, I think Shero might have been a bit quick but he knew what he wanted and teams knew they had to pony up or get out. Howson should have forced teams' hands

Last edited by Chief: 06-23-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 11:58 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Sather today: "I think we're going to be fairly aggressive in free agent market."

Expand Reply
Retweet

Favorite

Old
06-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Vitto79

hmmmm well I do think they sign a 3rd/4th line C and if Prust is gone another RW....a depth righty Dman.............and if they can sign Whitney as a UFA I am fine with him being that top 6 LW and just keeping assets like Dubi

Old
06-23-2012, 12:00 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

That quote is a bit unsettling, really do not want Parise.

06-23-2012, 12:01 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Based on Slats comments ... I am a firm believer we are going hard after

Old
06-23-2012, 12:03 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie

Sather today: "I think we're going to be fairly aggressive in free agent market."

Expand Reply
Retweet

Favorite
Wouldn't be so bad except the FA class is pretty thin. We need help on offense and Parise looks like a long shot. Perhaps he's referring to Suter and we trade a D-man for Bobby Ryan or Nash? Can we even afford that?

Old
06-23-2012, 12:03 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
That quote is a bit unsettling, really do not want Parise.
imo its impossible to react to that statement without know which guys he has his eyes on...going aggressively after the right guys would be good lol

Old
06-23-2012, 12:06 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Please don't go after Parise, please I beg of you.

06-23-2012, 12:09 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Yeah... I'm not really wild about the idea of Parise - especially at the contract it would likely take to get him here.

By the same token - how much of this is for Howson/Murray's ears, rather than ours...?

Old
06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
OverTheCap

Being aggressive in free agency doesn't necessarily mean "let's throw $7 million contracts at all the big names available."

They will probably make lots of depth moves and go after a guy like Schultz. I'm not so sure Parise and Suter are the players that Slats are going to be aggressive with. Like I mentioned earlier, he will probably kick the tires on them but won't go crazy in trying to outbid other teams.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Please don't go after Parise, please I beg of you.
did Parise not say he is not signing here, why bother mentioning the guy

Guys like Doan and Whiteny would be great but long shot on Doan leaving Phoenix, I think Whitney may though

Old
06-23-2012, 12:11 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Yeah... I'm not really wild about the idea of Parise - especially at the contract it would likely take to get him here.

By the same token - how much of this is for Howson/Murray's ears, rather than ours...?
I think that is definitely a consideration.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:11 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastly115 View Post
Wouldn't be so bad except the FA class is pretty thin. We need help on offense and Parise looks like a long shot. Perhaps he's referring to Suter and we trade a D-man for Bobby Ryan or Nash? Can we even afford that?
Good question. Let's say we sign Suter for a 6.5M cap hit. Then we trade Girardi (just using him for cap purposes) in a deal for Ryan. Not including any other players heading to Anaheim these two moves add ~9M to our cap hit.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:13 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Guys, FA also include guys Schultz ... just an FYI

Old
06-23-2012, 12:15 PM
haveandare

I'm kind of bummed that Prust is going to be gone just like that. This is the same team that made a string of terrible, misguided decisions over the years in pursuit of guys who can throw punches and take regular shifts isn't it? His asking price is also absurd though, 2+ million or something. Is there any chance Sather is saying it's not going to happen solely to drive the price down? Any chance someone actually pays Prust what he's asking NYR for?

Old
06-23-2012, 12:16 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Schultz, Sarich, Konopka or Gaustad...that would be active in free agency, would it not?

Old
06-23-2012, 12:20 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
He can "want" whatever he thinks ... but the reality is, there are numerous variables out there that GREATLY reduce the actual price. Remember, in economics the price of something is determined by it's scarcity and market. His market is extremely small, he has a NMC (so he can deny any trade or dictate where he wants to go), his cap hit is absolutely sky high (only a number of teams can reasonably afford him under their budget), and say what you want but his production has been pretty low (although some believe that's because of surrounding talent) so you are taking a risk. Based on this ... his market WILL drop IF he gets moved, and based on everything we have heard or read, it's VERY hard to say he will stay a CBJ. Things can change, he might get frustrated and not care where he gets moved, but that's a story for another day.
Yeah, but I know one thing for sure, a GM in NHL won't get something from Slats, or anyone else, that he isn't asking for.

I also have hopes that eventually he has to budge and will take a decent offer from us. But I would lie if I didn't see the point in Howson asking for what actually makes sense for his team for a player that asks for a trade in feb-mar by 23 June.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Chief

Funny on the recap show I thInk it was Hradek was making the point that Crosby knew Parise from SSM and Button said, "everybody knows Zack." Button was playing up the Suter angle. Shero was Assistant GM in Nashville when they drafted Suter.

"Fairly aggressive" doesn't mean anything. You know they'll be adding 3 or 4 players to replace Prust, Feds, and get D depth.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:22 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Schultz, Sarich, Konopka or Gaustad...that would be active in free agency, would it not?
yup and those are some names I expect to be linked too. For top 6 wingers really only Whitney

Old
06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yup and those are some names I expect to be linked too. For top 6 wingers really only Whitney
I think his "active in FA" is not married to top 6 fwd but more or less plugging holes and creating depth .... I still think our top 6 fwd (Nash/Ryan, etc) will come via trade.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
I think his "active in FA" is not married to top 6 fwd but more or less plugging holes and creating depth .... I still think our top 6 fwd (Nash/Ryan, etc) will come via trade.
yea you may be right. Thing is it would be ideal to deal for a Bobby Ryan now cause its going to take a few roster players likely. Then they can plug in UFAs with depth signings.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:30 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Schultz, Semin, Jagr, Gaustad.

Old
06-23-2012, 12:32 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
yea you may be right. Thing is it would be ideal to deal for a Bobby Ryan now cause its going to take a few roster players likely. Then they can plug in UFAs with depth signings.
I am sure the FO is kicking tires everywhere. If it's one thing I absolutely trust with Slats is negotiating trades .. he is brilliant at it. He always manages to squeeze blood from stone.

Closed Thread