HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Driving to Denver

Old
06-23-2012, 12:26 PM
Mack

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mack
Driving to Denver

I am thinking about taking a long road trip from Prince George to Denver later this year.
how are the roads from the Alberta boarder down to denver in Nov and or march?

anyone ever done this trip before from Bc or Alberta?

Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I can't speak for the rest of your trip but roads are going to be dicey in Wyoming. It's really hit or miss depending on the weather.

I go to Wyoming at least once a month for my work and in the winter I try to fly because you never know when they are going to close down the roads (and they close parts of I-25 and I-70 often).

If you do go, I would plan some extra time (4-8 hours) for any side trips you have to take because of road closures.

The snow in Wyoming isn't the problem - it's the wind and sheets of ice that build up.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:19 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
When I played Manitoba for a season, I drove from Denver to Manitoba and I can say that the highways are decent, but the roads in North Dakota are brutal and are the probably the same for Northern Idaho and Montana.

Best way to go imo is from Vancouver down into Seattle to Utah.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
That's a really good suggestion. And you'll get a lot more scenery.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:30 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I can't speak for the rest of your trip but roads are going to be dicey in Wyoming. It's really hit or miss depending on the weather.

I go to Wyoming at least once a month for my work and in the winter I try to fly because you never know when they are going to close down the roads (and they close parts of I-25 and I-70 often).

If you do go, I would plan some extra time (4-8 hours) for any side trips you have to take because of road closures.

The snow in Wyoming isn't the problem - it's the wind and sheets of ice that build up.
So true. Northern Idaho is very messy as well that time of year.

Quote:
When I played Manitoba for a season, I drove from Denver to Manitoba and I can say that the highways are decent, but the roads in North Dakota are brutal and are the probably the same for Northern Idaho and Montana.

You will be pretty much in the "clear" from Vancouver to parts of Oregon, but driving through the Cascades as well as the Rockies is very unpredictable that time of year. Another thing- I-70 from Grand Junction, CO to about Winter Park, CO this time of year tends to have frequent road closures (the same with Utah). Eisenhower Tunnel *shudders*

I personally would fly from VAN or CGY to Denver this particular time of year (will be pricey, however, and getting to and fro Denver International Airport stinks if you do not have a car). Driving from Calgary to Vancouver can get nasty, too (friends got stuck around Revelstoke in the snow on the highway for 12 hours a few years back making that trip). Summer driving is great, but winter driving? EHHHHHHHH.

BUT if you decide to drive, head down Washington to Oregon ... to Utah and judge your path from there (either hop on I-70 to CO or hop on 1-80 [I think] to Wyoming to I-25 into CO) depending on road conditions.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:34 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
So true. Northern Idaho is very messy as well that time of year.

You will be pretty much in the "clear" from Vancouver to parts of Oregon, but driving through the Cascades as well as the Rockies is very unpredictable that time of year. Another thing- I-70 from Grand Junction, CO to about Winter Park, CO this time of year tends to have frequent road closures (the same with Utah). Eisenhower Tunnel *shudders*

I personally would fly from VAN or CGY to Denver this particular time of year (will be pricey, however, and getting to and fro Denver International Airport stinks if you do not have a car). Driving from Calgary to Vancouver can get nasty, too (friends got stuck around Revelstoke in the snow on the highway for 12 hours a few years back making that trip). Summer driving is great, but winter driving? EHHHHHHHH.
I totally agree with you, but in the spring. It's a very nice driver.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:38 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
I totally agree with you, but in the spring. It's a very nice driver.
Oh I completely agree! I have made the drive from Denver to Vancouver in the spring, summer, and fall and it is absolutely gorgeous. But November and March (GROSS!!!!) weather is very winter-y. There is a reason why I never made that trip from October-March. I grew up in Colorado and it can be just awful on I-70 on the Western Slope (Grand Junction-Eisenhower Tunnel). If you do drive to Colorado in either of those months, especially March (snowiest month for Colorado and the high country), BE CAREFUL! Listen to radio reports on road conditions. If you do that (and have alternate routes planned), you should be fine.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Bonzai12

Just don't go through I-80 in Wyoming whatever you do. Seriously people get killed on that highway all the time. It's the worst for deaths in all of the US.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:36 AM
electricjib

Quote:
Just don't go through I-80 in Wyoming whatever you do. Seriously people get killed on that highway all the time. It's the worst for deaths in all of the US.
Is that the one that takes you towards Jackson from I25? I drove that in October one year and nearly died 4 separate times. The worst spot was weird since it was sunny about 40 miles into my drive down the highway from 25, all of a sudden I see a sign with a way lower speed limit than usual, then it started getting foggy, then before it out of nowhere it was snowy, icy, foggy, complete cloud cover and impossible to drive in practically for about 2 hours, then it was perfectly clear....

electricjib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 11:32 AM
Tortuga812

vCash: 250
Quote:
I don't know where you get this information on I-80 in Wyoming. I live in Wyoming and travel this road often. There are stretches where the road can get bad but in these sections they can lower speed limits to slow traffic to limit the # of wrecks. I-80 in Wyoming is not on the top 100 most dangerous roads in america but I-25 in Colorado is.

Tortuga812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 02:08 PM
Bonzai12

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricjib View Post
Is that the one that takes you towards Jackson from I25? I drove that in October one year and nearly died 4 separate times. The worst spot was weird since it was sunny about 40 miles into my drive down the highway from 25, all of a sudden I see a sign with a way lower speed limit than usual, then it started getting foggy, then before it out of nowhere it was snowy, icy, foggy, complete cloud cover and impossible to drive in practically for about 2 hours, then it was perfectly clear....

The section of I-80 that gets closed often is between Laramie and Rawlins. It happens a lot. I drive this road every month for work to Rock Springs and then up to Pinedale (and sometimes Jackson). During the winter time, I just fly into Jackson to avoid all this.

http://wyofile.com/category/tales_of_I-80/

http://www.gazette.com/articles/stor...nver-span.html

Old
06-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Mr Green

I was planning a drive to Denver for a game and to visit friends in March. My girlfriend wants to fly though. I'm pretty sure the gas would cost less than two round trip plane tickets.

Mr Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 07:48 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Green View Post
I was planning a drive to Denver for a game and to visit friends in March. My girlfriend wants to fly though. I'm pretty sure the gas would cost less than two round trip plane tickets.
Driving from Chicago is decent. Not bad, but could be boring.

Old
06-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Mr Green

Quote:
Driving from Chicago is decent. Not bad, but could be boring.
I've done it before with family when I was younger. It's not bad at all except for the whole Nebraska part.

Mr Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 08:52 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Green View Post
I've done it before with family when I was younger. It's not bad at all except for the whole Nebraska part.
I would say Nebraska is OK, Iowa is the brutal part.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:24 PM
billybobjoe1881

Do you have room for a passenger? I'll pitch in for gas.

billybobjoe1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Mack

Send a message via MSN to Mack
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybobjoe1881 View Post
Do you have room for a passenger? I'll pitch in for gas.
are you a serial killer?

Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 09:35 PM
billybobjoe1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack View Post
are you a serial killer?
No just a diehard avs fan since 2000.

billybobjoe1881 is offline   Reply With Quote