HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Justin Kea, Center – 73rd Overall, 2012

Old
06-23-2012, 09:42 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Justin Kea, Center – 73rd Overall, 2012

Bill Placzek (Draft Site)

"Son of former NHLer, Ed, he is a long-term project who needs to get quicker all-around. He is strong on his skates and provides a
physical presence, and pots the occasional big goal. Still has a ways to go though to be considered a offensive threat. He may project
to wing down the road."

Brock Otten (OHL Prospects)

"Kea is one of those guys who's statline doesn't tell the whole story. On paper, his 3 goals and 14 points aren't impressive at all. But
it's all the little things that add up to a guy who has more value than he appears to. For one, Kea is a really big body at 6'4 and over
200lbs, and he plays center. He's that big, powerful center that a lot of teams are looking for right now. He uses that body very
effectively to clear out space for his linemates, to take the puck hard to the net, and to keep plays alive along the boards. He's also a
strong two way player who sees a lot of time on the penalty kill and who'll block shots and pay the price to make a play. In similar
fashion to Tom Wilson, Kea is also a pretty good skater for a big guy and it's what allows him to be such an effective player in many
situations. Size and speed can be a lethal combo. Kea was absolutely fantastic in the playoffs IMO and he showed some vision and
playmaking ability that he hadn't really previously shown. I think he's a very interesting prospect and someone who could have some
nice potential to improve over the next few years."

Dan Stewart (Future Considerations)

"After seemingly sleep walking throughout the OHL regular season, the big Kea turned it on in the OHL post season as he started to
use his frame more effectively and consistently to play a strong power game down low in both zones and dominated along the walls. He
skates well and plays the role of a defensive minded power centre well. He does not have the offensive skill set to become a top six
player but could serve as a strong bottom six complimentary two-way player at the next level and worth a late round selection if a team
sees that potential."

Kevin Devine (Buffalo Sabres)

“If you look at his stats, they weren’t very good during the regular season. But (Saginaw) fired their coach during the season, and now
he’s playing for Greg Gilbert, a guy Darcy and I both know. (Gilbert) thinks that he’ll be a good third-liner center in the NHL; a better-
skating Paul Gaustad.”

Ross MacLean (ISS)

"[Kea] typically gets thrown into roles with every team that he goes on. This a guy for me that the real first time that I got to watch him
real closely was last year at Canada's U-18 camp in August. He's still very much a work in progress, but I think he's got that true power
forward potential. He's got a great work ethic [and] good physical skill set. He's got really good feet for his size. I love his shot; and he
still has a lot of obvious areas for improvement, which I really like, but this is again, like I said, this a guy that just keeps getting type-
cast into different roles and given the chance to spread his wings a little bit, I think this guy can be a real player, a Johan Franzen kind
of player...so this is a guy I think someone's going to draft him and we're not going to hear about him for a couple years. I don't think
he'll put up huge numbers in junior, but he'll continue to develop and all of sudden by the time he's in the pro ranks, a couple of years in
the AHL and then we'll be talking about this guy, that 'Wow, where did this guy come from?' so definitely a guy to keep an eye on."

Sean Lafortune (Future Considerations)

"Kea is a player who has some good tools, but struggled to find a role with the Spirit this year. He has the size and mobility to be an
NHL level prospect, but has struggled with the puck all season long. Towards the end of the season and into the playoffs, the Spirit had
Kea play more of an defensive checking role, and is starting to find a role that suits him. He still has to grow his offensive abilities if he
hopes to have a career at the next level, but his development as a player in the second half of the season raised eyebrows. Projects
out as an aggressive defensive forward at the next level, and should be a mid to late round draft pick at the NHL Draft."

Pre-Draft News Articles

Saginaw Spirit sign first round draft pick Justin Kea (M-Live)

Ontario wins gold at World U-17 Hockey Challenge (OHL)

Kea invited to Canada's Summer U-18 Team Camp (OHL)

Saginaw Spirit training camp wrap-up (OHL)

Kea named West Division Academic Player of the Month (OHL)

NHL Draft: A game that goes beyond the numbers could help Saginaw Spirit forward Justin Kea get picked (M-Live)

Post-Draft News Articles

A complete rundown of Buffalo's work on Day Two of the 2012 Entry Draft (Sabres.com)

"Another solid draft": Three Saginaw Spirit players picked in first five rounds of NHL Draft (M-Live)

2012-13 Season Updates (Bio)

... (...)

A/V CLUB

06/23:

YOUTUBE

Last edited by Woodhouse: 06-25-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:46 AM
sabresfan129103

is this guy an enforcer?

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:53 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I like it. Could be the 3rd line defensive center the team needs in a few years.

All these centers

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:56 AM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
A6-4 3rd line centermen with an edge. If he skates well what's not to like? Heck if an offensive game develops, great, if not, ok we need big pivot men!

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:59 AM
JPurp26

4th line center I'd imagine similar to Gaustad. Has tools to become 3rd line center but must put it all together,

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:10 AM
JPurp26

Welcome to Buffalo JUSTIN KEA

JPurp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:32 AM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
4th line center I'd imagine similar to Gaustad. Has tools to become 3rd line center but must put it all together,
That's the comparison I like: Gaustad. Chain suggested Thorburn. Either way, he could be a 3/4 center with size and some jam. If he puts it together, that's great.

Rhett4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
i like the potential mike rupp comparison

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:37 AM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Also a fair comparison. Big, bottom line banger with a smattering of skill and strong defensive play? Wouldn't complain one bit.

Old
06-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
If he can work on his footspeed and play at 220+, he could be a damn hard player to play against.

06-23-2012, 12:08 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

I was amused looking over your draft list to see both Kea and Austin.

They both went to the same high school (the same one I did), in case that interests anyone. My younger brother and Justin have been friends since elementary school, so this is pretty cool for me. The area I grew up in certainly doesn't have many NHL prospects come around, and you guys picked two of them in the same draft. Good luck!

06-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Mellifleur

a 3/4 checking center with size and some skating ability sounds good. How good is he on faceoffs ? for that matter how good are Grigorenko or Girgensons in faceoffs ?

Rapidly it seems like center is becoming a strength in our prospect pool, considering we have Sundher and Catenacci there too.

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOni View Post
a 3/4 checking center with size and some skating ability sounds good. How good is he on faceoffs ? for that matter how good are Grigorenko or Girgensons in faceoffs ?

Rapidly it seems like center is becoming a strength in our prospect pool, considering we have Sundher and Catenacci there too.
At the very least, it's nice to have options. Sundher and Cat can be speedy wingers if the club thinks they lack the hockey sense to be NHL centers. And it's easier to put a center on wing than vice versa.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:27 PM
Mellifleur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
At the very least, it's nice to have options. Sundher and Cat can be speedy wingers if the club thinks they lack the hockey sense to be NHL centers. And it's easier to put a center on wing than vice versa.
My thoughts exactly. It's great to have center depth, be able to move some to wing and if the injury bug hits... no worries... you have somebody who can at least reasonably fill in on spot duty at center.

Mellifleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:48 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowOni View Post
My thoughts exactly. It's great to have center depth, be able to move some to wing and if the injury bug hits... no worries... you have somebody who can at least reasonably fill in on spot duty at center.
Bingo. And if Girgensons pans out, he seems like a guy that could play a multitude of roles. Seems like he'd be an ideal 3C, and possibly a good 2C -- we'll have some ability to move him around on the depth chart if he develops well.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:02 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Eh....

SabresBillsBuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Digable5

Bigger than Tom Wilson. Better defensively, played the shutdown role, killed penalties, plays Center and drafted two rounds later. Wilson has shown more offense so far but I believe he's also had more opportunities and neither really set the world on fire.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:32 PM
joshjull

Listening to Devine talk in a post draft presser. Mentioned that there was a coaching change mid year and Kea's new coach (Greg Gilbert) was someone Darcy and Devine had played with. He gave them a heads up on the potential of this kid. Devine described him as a better skating Paul Gaustad.

Devine also mentioned 5 of the 6 draft picks today had been at the combine the Sabres held before the draft.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Rhett4
Say no to Ekblad

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Listening to Devine talk in a post draft presser. Mentioned that there was a coaching change mid year and Kea's new coach (Greg Gilbert) was someone Darcy and Devine had played with. He gave them a heads up on the potential of this kid. Devine described him as a better skating Paul Gaustad.

Devine also mentioned 5 of the 6 draft picks today had been at the combine the Sabres held before the draft.
Good to know we weren't too far off with the Gaustad comparison. Also, if he can be a more fluid Goose, that's a fantastically useful player.

Old
06-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

IIRC Ross MacLean of ISS talked of him as a sleeper not too long ago. It's probably in the TPS archives somewhere; I'll put the LINK to the segment here when I find it again.

Here's the interview Kea did with NBC25 after his selection:

Old
06-24-2012, 10:03 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Here's the transcription of the TPS interview where ISS head scout Ross MacLean talked up the underrated Kea. You can listen to the segment at 9:14-11:41 of the linked MP3.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post

Ross MacLean (ISS)

"[Kea] typically gets thrown into roles with every team that he goes on. This a guy for me that the real first time that I got to watch him
real closely was last year at Canada's U-18 camp in August. He's still very much a work in progress, but I think he's got that true power
forward potential. He's got a great work ethic [and] good physical skill set. He's got really good feet for his size. I love his shot; and he
still has a lot of obvious areas for improvement, which I really like, but this is again, like I said, this a guy that just keeps getting type-
cast into different roles and given the chance to spread his wings a little bit, I think this guy can be a real player, a Johan Franzen kind
of player...so this is a guy I think someone's going to draft him and we're not going to hear about him for a couple years. I don't think
he'll put up huge numbers in junior, but he'll continue to develop and all of sudden by the time he's in the pro ranks, a couple of years in
the AHL and then we'll be talking about this guy, that 'Wow, where did this guy come from?' so definitely a guy to keep an eye on."

Old
06-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Send a message via Yahoo to Jame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
Here's the transcription of the TPS interview where ISS head scout Ross MacLean talked up the underrated Kea. You can listen to the segment at 9:14-11:41 of the linked MP3.
franzen

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
That's some high praise from MacLean. Kea's now on the radar as someone I will be making a trip to go see live this coming OHL season.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

A couple notes from articles recently added to the OP:

Old
06-24-2012, 11:36 PM
MintoMadDogsKiller18*
Go Leafs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
I was amused looking over your draft list to see both Kea and Austin.

They both went to the same high school (the same one I did), in case that interests anyone. My younger brother and Justin have been friends since elementary school, so this is pretty cool for me. The area I grew up in certainly doesn't have many NHL prospects come around, and you guys picked two of them in the same draft. Good luck!
I went to the same school as Justin and Brady also. FFSS, went there for 3 years.

MintoMadDogsKiller18* is offline   Reply With Quote