Dallas Stars 2012 Draft Scouting Reports

Old
06-23-2012, 12:39 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
i hope not. To me that wastes a year of prime playing years before ufa age for no reason. Plus if you look at the kid he is pretty damn scrawny.
Lol what?

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:46 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Plus if you look at the kid he is pretty damn scrawny.
That's what you consider scrawny?

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 12:47 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

I think he could step into the NHL next year, but shouldn't. Let's not start rushing our top prospects. Let him put on 20 pounds and continue to develop his offensive flair.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:24 AM
Rune Forumwalker

Pffft. The team already has plenty of offensive talent, what they really need is more 3rd liners.

Rune Forumwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:38 AM
________

vCash: 181
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
If Faksa has a really good training camp, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a couple NHL games and sending him back to juniors.
It could be a big help for him going forward and his ELC won't start either.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:40 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
If Faksa has a really good training camp, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a couple NHL games and sending him back to juniors.
It could be a big help for him going forward and his ELC won't start either.
Yea, I wouldn't mind that.

LatvianTwist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:10 AM
batmansuncle

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Yea, I wouldn't mind that.
I'm so pumped about today!!!!

batmansuncle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:39 AM
Primetimey

vCash: 50
Quote:
i hope not. To me that wastes a year of prime playing years before ufa age for no reason. Plus if you look at the kid he is pretty damn scrawny.
6'2" - 200 is scrawny? I know everything is bigger in Texas but wow..

I agree, he needs one more year in Kitchener and then I think he will have a legitimate shot at making the club.

Primetimey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:26 AM
BigG44

Stars' scout Jimmy Johnston on Radek Faksa:
Quote:
Here's scout Jimmy Johnston's take on first round pick Radek Faksa, a center from Kitchener of the Ontario Hockey League:

He’s got good size; he’s a smart kid on both sides of the puck. He’s good in the defensive zone, he’s good offensively. He can create offense and he can understand the other side of the game, too. He’s just a real good two-way player.

“He might be one of the best players this year in protecting the puck with his body. He uses his legs really well. He has the size and the reach. He played on the first power play and he played the point on the power play.

“There is a lot to like about him. He’s young and he’s got lots of growth left in him. He’s a big kid with lots of improvement potential. Plus, it’s an area we need.”

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:48 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

The past couple of drafts have been pretty good to us. Oleksiak and now Faksa, loving it.

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 09:58 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Been hearing a Kopitar-like upside. Maybe not to that level, but a similar style of play, just without the hands.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Starsdude

Hanzel is probably the lazy compare which compared to what we got of our recent drafts is great but he is not a guaranteed top 2 center by any means. The return of a Stu barnes starter kit or a better Toby Petersen and a second for a guy who is a top 20 leading scorer in the last five years and the best center available not named Staal (and staal's market was limited) was just poor. GMJN has destroyed this team. He is unprepared and has no plan. Did you see him when Forsberg then Grigs went, looked like he was gonna get hit by a train. Totally defeated look. I honestly think he never considered asking to swap 10 and 13 as part of the deal and it came back to bite him in the butt. Just awful. I was all for rebuilding but not with spares who are "hard to play against". No way you do the Washington deal without either flipping firsts or getting the 17th by including one of you lower picks or wandell. Second rounders are fools gold which we have shown over and over again. Sachetti, Besko, Fransson.

Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Second rounders are fools gold which we have shown over and over again. Sachetti, Besko, Fransson.
Don't forget Eriksson, Neal, Grossmann, Daley. Those guys are awful.

It wouldn't be an NHL draft without Starsdude proclaiming the GM did everything wrong, no matter who it is.

Let us know how your golf round with McPhee goes. That's the only way you could know what Washington would have done.

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 11:16 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude View Post
Hanzel is probably the lazy compare which compared to what we got of our recent drafts is great but he is not a guaranteed top 2 center by any means. The return of a Stu barnes starter kit or a better Toby Petersen and a second for a guy who is a top 20 leading scorer in the last five years and the best center available not named Staal (and staal's market was limited) was just poor. GMJN has destroyed this team. He is unprepared and has no plan. Did you see him when Forsberg then Grigs went, looked like he was gonna get hit by a train. Totally defeated look. I honestly think he never considered asking to swap 10 and 13 as part of the deal and it came back to bite him in the butt. Just awful. I was all for rebuilding but not with spares who are "hard to play against". No way you do the Washington deal without either flipping firsts or getting the 17th by including one of you lower picks or wandell. Second rounders are fools gold which we have shown over and over again. Sachetti, Besko, Fransson.
Lol no offense but this is all completely wrong.

Old
06-23-2012, 01:34 PM
Captain Awesome

After reading some of the scouting reports I see a lot of the same words come up. Two-Way, All Around player, etc. Reminds me of the era of Doug Armstrong's low ceiling safe drafting of 3rd and 4th liners. Only about half of the scouting reports are in, but I hope a few of these guys pan out properly, those aren't really words I'm excited to see if we're trying to go for sleepers in the 3rd round and above.

Captain Awesome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:56 PM
glassbangers
#FireEakins

vCash: 161
Henri Kiviaho is a big (6'3", 183lbs) and covering goalie who is fast as bolt and he has terrific reflexes. Otherwise Kiviaho's good and bad days difference is way too big. In some game he can shut down their opponent with 40+ saves but in some game he gives 2-3 easy goals.

glassbangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:58 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

My favorite pick is probably Lindell. Honestly didn't think he'd be there in the 3rd.

Byström reminds me a lot of Nemeth based on the scouting reports. Kinda creepy...

Old
06-23-2012, 02:08 PM
BigG44

I have to take a break for a bit, but there is still quite a bit I'll add. Post anything interesting you find, and I'll add it.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:12 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I have to take a break for a bit, but there is still quite a bit I'll add. Post anything interesting you find, and I'll add it.
Thanks for all the effort. I really appreciate it, and love having it all in one place.

Old
06-23-2012, 02:24 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
After reading some of the scouting reports I see a lot of the same words come up. Two-Way, All Around player, etc. Reminds me of the era of Doug Armstrong's low ceiling safe drafting of 3rd and 4th liners. Only about half of the scouting reports are in, but I hope a few of these guys pan out properly, those aren't really words I'm excited to see if we're trying to go for sleepers in the 3rd round and above.
Eh I think Trook is the only surefire bottom 6 guy. Everyone else has top 6 potential.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 02:44 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Eh I think Trook is the only surefire bottom 6 guy. Everyone else has top 6 potential.
I think Shore will be a 3rd/4th line center, which is fine looking at what we have going forward. Most of the forwards we drafted, excluding Faksa, seem to be more bottom 6 guys IMO.

Old
06-23-2012, 04:07 PM
BigG44

November 15th, 2011: This article details the events leading to his recovery from a nerve issue that mimicked a concussion costing him an entire season. I'm posting the scouting report from the article:
Quote:
An NHL scout agrees.

"I'd be surprised if all 30 teams weren't looking at him," said the scout, who requested anonymity. "He has size, skill, hockey sense and an instinct to score, but he also has a lot of catching up to do. There are inconsistencies because of not playing. As long as the effort, the grit and determination to battle and compete are there, he should develop."

Old
06-23-2012, 04:29 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I think that says more about this draft class than the organization's drafting philosophy over the long haul. They've recently gone all in on some players who are projected to be scorers with decent/high upside. In this draft of pretty good depth but lacking in top end scoring talent it makes sense that guys are going to be described as "two way" players, etc.

Faksa seems at worst to project as a David Backes starter kit. I can live with that. If even one or two of our prospects already in the pipeline even approach their ceiling we will be in fine shape scoring wise and we will also have a number of guys who can play up and down the lineup while being defensively conscious.

All in all, the early returns seem pretty good.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:30 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\|\\

I approve of this recent strategy of drafting players with high end hockey sense and either size or skating ability (or in Faksa's case all three.) It's remarkable that they keep finding players in the middle rounds that can be classified as "cerebral" when every team in the league must be searching for the same attributes.

@CA
The best players in the NHL happen to be two-way players as well. It doesn't mean low ceiling, it simply means they show a commitment to the other half of the ice. There's no way to spin that to make it a bad thing.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 04:38 PM
BigG44

I just added the Last Word article on Radek Faksa, and I think their comparable of Mikko Koivu is the best I've seen for Faksa.

Seems like reasonable high end potential for him ... elite defensive forward with good but not elite offense.